What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (10 Viewers)

Mentions Panther 2, Captian Marvel 2, Guardians 3 and fantastic four while closing the conference

All those are bigger than the actual announcements
Did they say how big phase 4 would be in terms of numbers of movies?  I was wondering if those movies you just listed maybe part of phase 5?

Some big reveals for characters involved in certain movies like Thor 4 and Dr Strange 2. Also MCU reboots of Blade and F4 are big news.

But they definitely focused on the 5 new marvel tv shows on Disney+, not just Loki and Falcon+Winter Soldier. But also WandaVision, Hawkeye, and “What If’s.”

Can you share them?
Nothing super earth shattering but will put in tags:

The “real” Mandarin will be in Shang Chi. Wanda/scarlet witch will be in Dr Strange 2 and supposedly her tv show will lead directly into the movie. Biggest reveal was Natalie Portman back for Thor 4 and she took the stage carrying Mjolinor and introduced as the lady Thor like in the comics.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting that after seriously teasing the multiverse in Spiderman that it turned out to be a hoax and yet the title of Dr Strange 2 (Multiverse of Madness) seems to indicate it may be back on the table again.

The multiverse seems to be the best way to include the Xmen who were announced today to now be a part of the MCU going forward (with I assume a brand new cast again).

It's interesting that after seriously teasing the multiverse in Spiderman that it turned out to be a hoax and yet the title of Dr Strange 2 (Multiverse of Madness) seems to indicate it may be back on the table again.

The multiverse seems to be the best way to include the Xmen who were announced today to now be a part of the MCU going forward (with I assume a brand new cast again).
One of the quotes from last night’s reveal from Feige I believe was “Just because Quentin Beck lies about the multiverse doesn’t mean it isn’t real.”

Think they are easing people into it. Mentioned it in Spider-Man, now we’ll see it for real in Dr Strange 2.

Did they say how big phase 4 would be in terms of numbers of movies?  I was wondering if those movies you just listed maybe part of phase 5?
They are supposedly still Phase 4 just no confirmed release dates past 2021. There are 3 movies each for 2020 & 2021. Part of that was because of the firing of Gunn and rehiring pushing Guardians 3 way back. Gunn has already committed to Suicide Squad 2 so he has to finish that first.

The release date thing is also a Disney issue as they have slated a new Star Wars and the new Avatar movie for 2022 so they are probably scaling back Marvel that year to not compete and crowd the box office. This is one of the minor problems with having all these properties owned by the same company. Edit: this partly why there is nothing Marvel between now and next May, Rise of Skywalker comes out this December

They are supposedly still Phase 4 just no confirmed release dates past 2021. There are 3 movies each for 2020 & 2021. Part of that was because of the firing of Gunn and rehiring pushing Guardians 3 way back. Gunn has already committed to Suicide Squad 2 so he has to finish that first.

The release date thing is also a Disney issue as they have slated a new Star Wars and the new Avatar movie for 2022 so they are probably scaling back Marvel that year to not compete and crowd the box office. This is one of the minor problems with having all these properties owned by the same company. Edit: this partly why there is nothing Marvel between now and next May, Rise of Skywalker comes out this December
Some good points in there.

But hard to imagine their big summer release is Black Widow.   A movie that probably wouldn't be on my top 5 of things I wanted to see from Marvel - maybe not top 10.

Nothing super earth shattering but will put in tags:

The “real” Mandarin will be in Shang Chi. Wanda/scarlet witch will be in Dr Strange 2 and supposedly her tv show will lead directly into the movie. Biggest reveal was Natalie Portman back for Thor 4 and she took the stage carrying Mjolinor and introduced as the lady Thor like in the comics.
That biggest reveal is truly disappointing IMO

I have zero desire to see Black Widow prequel. 
I might have been been more interested it in but I have a bad feeling that it is going to seem like an ultra kiddie version of Red Sparrow. 

I am sure I will still be there opening night though as I always am :)

A little early for that. The roadmap of the MCU circa 2012-13 looked different than what was eventually released. There could be some temperature-taking going on now, while it's financially safe to do so. Throwing out ideas at a con (even a huge one) is a lot quicker and cheaper than filming a superhero-genre picture.

Counterpoint, though: If these Phase 4 films go on largely as announced and average, say, $400 million a pop, it will feel like the franchise has gotten buried. Even though almost any other film would be ecstatic to reach that figure.

.Counterpoint, though: If these Phase 4 films go on largely as announced and average, say, $400 million a pop, it will feel like the franchise has gotten buried. Even though almost any other film would be ecstatic to reach that figure.
For the group that was announced, it does clearly look like that will be a run of movies on the lower end of the world wide revenue take for the MCU franchise but they have two things for them.

1) no one expected Guardians, Black Panther or Captain Marvel to be the hits they were when they were first announced so they may have some hopes that they have another sleeper or two in this unheralded group.

2) if they all come in as the lowest 4 revenues in the MCU, they have some likely massive sequels coming right behind them in Black Panther 2 and CM2 that can help reinvigorate the franchise.

This assumes we won't see 4 straight Thor Dark World quality level movies.  That might be hard to bounce back from.  They have to keep at least an average quality in this group upcoming even if people don't watch in the theaters as much as the rest of the MCU.

Lady Thor is going to be good. I'd imagine the Guardians will be in Thor 4 unless Thor is not in it. Thor 4 could be Lady Thor 1. Who knows at this point?

That biggest reveal is truly disappointing IMO
No way. That was always an interesting Jane Foster arc that people wondered if it would ever come up...in fact that was part of why seeing the crap storylines she got was so disappointing. Natalie Portman directed by Taika Waititi can crush this. 

No way. That was always an interesting Jane Foster arc that people wondered if it would ever come up...in fact that was part of why seeing the crap storylines she got was so disappointing. Natalie Portman directed by Taika Waititi can crush this. 
Do you think they’d have petite Natalie Portman play Lady Thor or just Jane Foster and have someone else wield the hammer?  Of course, they could use CGI for when she’s Thor.

Lady Thor is going to be good. I'd imagine the Guardians will be in Thor 4 unless Thor is not in it. 
I am not sure what you are trying to say here.

Chris Hemsworth is staring in Thor 4 along with Portman and Tessa Thompson.  They were all on stage together during the announcement.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here.

Chris Hemsworth is staring in Thor 4 along with Portman and Tessa Thompson.  They were all on stage together during the announcement.
Marvel, like their trailers, are throwing a curve ball. Hemsworth is with the Guardians and Portman is on Earth. Book it!

Does anyone have any guesses on how they are going to handle the Eternals?  I don't know much about them outside of them being ancient beings that have protected earth through out the years, but I don't quite understand how they will explain them being absent while Thanos was dusting every one.

Marvel, like their trailers, are throwing a curve ball. Hemsworth is with the Guardians and Portman is on Earth. Book it!
Well they clearly set up that Thor was with the Guardians at the end of Endgame but the timing seems off since Guardians 3 is coming after Thor 4.

Can't disagree more. That run in the comics was amazing.
Ok, I'm open minded but wanted Valkyrie to play a bigger role than this sounds like they'd do. Could be wrong of course, if Tessa is involved I'm good with it.

On a positive note, didn't they just select a director for Thor and the release date is 2.25 years away?  That means 2022 could be a big year - but that's 3 years for Spiderman & CM follow ups.  Guardians and BP are 4 or more years apart.

Not really interested in any of that except the next Spiderman, when F4 comes in and X-Men. And of course how they fit Deadpool into all of this. I'll go to whatever my son wants to see though now that he's into it.

Newsarama speculating:

BP, GOTG, Blade

CM, FF, Spidey

4 years for Spidey is 2 years too long

Marvel has to figure out the pacing.  

4 years for spidey and you may as well make him a junior in college. That’s silly. 
I'm kind of ok with it. I'd imagine Spiderman will be doing cameos in other movies to keep his face out there. We don't want Spiderman fatigue again.

Besides we need a more mature Spidey to deal with the heavy #### that's soon to come. Especially if we have F4 level stuff brewing.

I'm kind of ok with it. I'd imagine Spiderman will be doing cameos in other movies to keep his face out there. We don't want Spiderman fatigue again.

Besides we need a more mature Spidey to deal with the heavy #### that's soon to come. Especially if we have F4 level stuff brewing.
I don’t disagree but it seems a little odd to end the movie with a twist and then take 4 years to get back to it. But I’m excited to see these other ones too. 

Reading up on Jane Foster as Thor, I got to checking up on what other characters in the comics have wielded Mjolnir. Doesn't mean the movies have to follow suit ... but some of the names could be interesting in the future MCU:

Spiderman
Valkyrie
Deadpool (!)
Professor X
Rogue
Silver Surfer
Bruce Banner (but not as Hulk)
Black Widow (if she ever comes back)

and ... both Doctor Doom and Magneto (uh oh)

EDIT: Eh, scratch Deadpool. Essentially, he had a facsimile Mjolnir.

Check out the Hero Blend podcast for more details on the release from Saturday.

Apparently Phase 4 runs about two years - so it looks phase 4 is the movies listed plus the streaming content.

Here's a breakdown I found on TVLine's SDCC Review....

Marvel Studios’ new, MCU-based TV series for the Disney+ streaming service will start hitting your screens in Fall 2020.

The rollout of Marvel’s initial Disney+ slate was revealed on Saturday night at the San Diego Comic-Con, in tandem with the entertainment giant’s next phase of movies — which includes Black Widow in May 2020The Eternals in November 2020Shang-Chi in February 2021Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (May 2021)Thor: Love and Thunder (November 2021) and a Mahershala Ali-led Blade.

As for the TV series…

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, starring Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan and Daniel Bruhl (as Baron Zemo), begins streaming in the fall of 2020.

Loki, with Tom Hiddleston reprising his infamous role, is set to bow in spring 2021.

WandaVision, starring Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany and Teyonah Parris (as an adult version of Captain Marvel‘s Monica Rambeau), also launches in spring 2021.

What If… ?, the first animated series in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, features Jeffrey Wright voicing The Watcher and a whole lotta MCU vets reprising their roles; it starts streaming in summer 2021.

Hawkeye, featuring (as one would hope) Jeremy Renner in the title role and a yet-to-be cast Kate Bishop, debuts in the fall of 2021.
Looking forward to the TV shows almost as much, if not moreso, than the movie releases!  I grew up on reading the Avengers, with Hawkeye, SW, Viz, and WonderMan being fun reads and storylines.  I'm hoping we may see some of that in these series'.

From a movie standpoint, BW in May 2020 seems good, but no blockbuster next summer. 

I wonder if Wandavision is set before Infinity War or if it will employ a ton of flashbacks?  I ask seeing that Bettany is starring in it.

I don't have any issues with the Lady Thor story line idea. 

I only hope, as some one who is going to rewatch these movies many times over the coming decades, that they make Jane really earn the right to wield the hammer.  I don't want it to cheapen the incredible moment in Endgame where Cap is finally deemed worthy.

I wonder if Wandavision is set before Infinity War or if it will employ a ton of flashbacks?  I ask seeing that Bettany is starring in it.
I believe they said Saturday that it is set post-Endgame, but not much info on how that will work with Bettany. If it will be flashbacks like you said or some sort of multi-verse type thing as they said Wandavision will lead directly into Dr Strange 2.

One nice thing about all the MCU tv shows not starting until late next year is no need for me to get Disney + streaming service at launch this November. Can probably wait until spring of 2021 as Falcon+WS will be done and Loki/Wandavision would be coming out around that time.

One nice thing about all the MCU tv shows not starting until late next year is no need for me to get Disney + streaming service at launch this November. Can probably wait until spring of 2021 as Falcon+WS will be done and Loki/Wandavision would be coming out around that time.
I am probably going to go the torrent root. 

I can't justify getting a zillion different services.  With a ton of channels starting up their own private services, it is getting to be too much to see a small amount of content that I want to watch per channel.

I wonder how this is all going to play out in a few years.

I heard elsewhere that the What If series will be animated and I had the greatest Hope's for it, as the comics were some of the best weird and random thoughts that I can remember. Done well, the episodes of one off random stories could be awesome, just not sure how I feel about this being animated.

I heard elsewhere that the What If series will be animated and I had the greatest Hope's for it, as the comics were some of the best weird and random thoughts that I can remember. Done well, the episodes of one off random stories could be awesome, just not sure how I feel about this being animated.
I think animation is the better way to go with the What If series.  It will offer the chance to really flip things around in ways that couldn't be done without a big movie budget.  I'm really interested to see what this series will hold.  

Buckna said:
I believe they said Saturday that it is set post-Endgame, but not much info on how that will work with Bettany. If it will be flashbacks like you said or some sort of multi-verse type thing as they said Wandavision will lead directly into Dr Strange 2.
Reportedly, the showed the Vision comic book by Tom King when this came up - so that appears to be the story

NewlyRetired said:
I am probably going to go the torrent root. 

I can't justify getting a zillion different services.  With a ton of channels starting up their own private services, it is getting to be too much to see a small amount of content that I want to watch per channel.

I wonder how this is all going to play out in a few years.
If the reports are true I'm hoping to go with the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ package, ditch DTVNow.  Not sure what to do with Netflix....

I am excited for all of this.  Movies and TV.  They also announced next season (7) is the last of Agents of Shield.  Season 6 is on now.

Sounds like Phase 5 will be BP2, CM2, Spidey, GOTG3 etc

If the reports are true I'm hoping to go with the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ package, ditch DTVNow.  Not sure what to do with Netflix....

I am excited for all of this.  Movies and TV.  They also announced next season (7) is the last of Agents of Shield.  Season 6 is on now.

Sounds like Phase 5 will be BP2, CM2, Spidey, GOTG3 etc
Season 6 of Shield has been all over the place.  They may have walked down a rabbit hole they can't get out of but I am still enjoying it.

With that pack you mentioned, will you be getting Hulu Live with it as well or just regular Hulu?  That seems like a nice combo and I hear the prices may be good.

The people running Shield already knew season 7 was going to be the last so I think they will end up tying this latest season together pretty well with the next (they were already in the middle of filming the final episode they said when they had their comic con panel last week.) Clark Gregg let it slip they were ending it after 7 in an interview he did for Captain Marvel 4 or 5 months ago so this weekend's announcement was just official confirmation.

Does anyone have any guesses on how they are going to handle the Eternals?  I don't know much about them outside of them being ancient beings that have protected earth through out the years, but I don't quite understand how they will explain them being absent while Thanos was dusting every one.
They're painted as being kind of above it all, basically treating human affairs like ants fighting with each other.  The snap may be the thing that gets them a little more involved with us "little people"

Users who are viewing this thread