What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any serious bowlers? Help me pick my new ball (1 Viewer)

PatriotJohn

Footballguy
Background: I have been out of the bowling game for about 7-8 years while finishing up my schooling and ready to get back into the game. I joined a doubles league with my wife and also bowl intramurals every other week on base, so I am shooting about 6 times per month. I used to average between 195-200 when I quit....at age 49, not sure if I will get back up to that level , but the 180's would be nice. I am currently averaging about 155 right now after a rough start. I have thrown a few 200's recently and my spare game and timing is gradually coming around, but I feel my bowling ball arsenal needs something more current.

I am throwing a Storm Trauma ER that was drilled back in 2003. The cover stock is becoming faded in spots and had it resurfaced at the beginning of the season. I am not a big cranker, but I still have a decent amount of hook on the ball. I usually stand at center dot to about 5 boards left....throw anywhere from 7-11 board at the arrows and am comfortable with it bellying out about 5-7 board. I used to throw about 2-4 boards tighter but it seems like the oil patterns I am shooting on today does not allow me to do that.

I would like to have something that is a little less reactive than the Trauma but stil goes long and has a good amount of reaction at the end. I would like my new ball to go a little farther down the lane before breaking intot he pocket as this ball likes to grab earlier than I want it to.

Some cursory studying online lead me to the Storm Hy-Road, but not sure if that is too much ball for what I want.

Any suggestions from the bowling community on here? Yous suggestions are greatly appreciated!

The Hy Road is a great ball. I have mine drilled to react the way you want it to. It reads the lane nicely and I can throw it in almost any condition. The only time I struggle with it is when there is a lot of oil, which is thankfully not that often.

I'd also look into the DV-8 line. They're fairly new and have a wide range of balls for any type of bowler/lane condition. I picked up a Hell Raiser about 6 months ago and love it. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, you didn't mention what weight you throw. If you currently throw 16, I can't reccommend enough going down to 15 or even 14. I made the move from 16 to 15 about 5 years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did for my game. No more dead arm in the middle of game 3 :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
MitB....thanks! I should have mentioned that it was the Hy-Road pearl that I am looking at, and yes, I do throw a 15lb ball....will never throw another 16 pounder again. I haven't yet seen a heavy oil condition this year, but if I do I always have my ER to fall back on. Thanks again....anyone else?

Timmay.....One can only strive to be as good as Big Ernie....and that includes the hair.

The hyroad is a good ball. The HyRoad Pearl would be a little more skid/flippy. The hyroad is very versatile as well as being reasonably priced. The Roto Grip Wrecker is another possibility. Not sure that a new ball is really going to be less than an older trauma ER but it should give you more of the shape you want. Brunswick Ringer might be another option. Ringer Platinum would be even less ball then the burgundy ringer.

I'm trying to decide what new equipment to get myself as tourney time is amping up. Leaning towards a Brunswick Mystic Aura as step down from my Defiant Soul and either a wrecker or a HyRoad to replace my Frantic.

Going Friday to pick it up.

Leaning towards either the DV8 Misfit Red/Orange or the Brunswick Ringer Platinum. I like the Hyroad Pearl, but it may be too much ball wince I am not a cranker unless I get it drilled really tame.

Users who are viewing this thread