Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent

50 minutes ago, NYRAGE said:

Paul Ryan Verified account ‏@WFLAPaul 38m38 minutes ago Tampa, FL

Winston on Doug Martin's return: "I feel like it's *very* close," he says with a smile. Martin expected to practice today.

Doug Martin still a non-participant today, per Greg Auman on twitter. Now I'm worried.

22 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Doug Martin still a non-participant today, per Greg Auman on twitter. Now I'm worried.

Yeah.  It doesn't look good.  And I wouldn't take anything from what winston says.  That could be positive or negative 

The Twitter buzzing with Koetter saying Martin suffered a "setback" a week ago from Sunday. Didn't say to what extent, but man...

Per Coach Koetter, he suffered a setback last week and his return date is now unknown. Traded for this guy Monday night, so this stings even more, but you can't win 'em all. Get well soon Dougie.

• Like 1

Just now, Moonshine said:

Per Coach Koetter, he suffered a setback last week and his return date is now unknown. Traded for this guy Monday night, so this stings even more, but you can't win 'em all. Get well soon Dougie.

I traded for him today if it makes you feel any better. Fortunately he's just depth.

5 minutes ago, Kruegs said:

The Twitter buzzing with Koetter saying Martin suffered a "setback" a week ago from Sunday. Didn't say to what extent, but man...

Wow.

From Rotoworld: 

Coach Dirk Koetter revealed Doug Martin (hamstring) suffered a setback over the weekend and will not play Week 7 against the 49ers.

He's back to being week to week. With Martin out, Jacquizz Rodgers will again serve as the Bucs' every-down back after handling a whopping 35 touches Week 5 against the Panthers. The 49ers are 28th in run-defense DVOA and recently lost stud ILB NaVorro Bowman to a torn Achilles'. Over their last three games, the 49ers have allowed 191.7 rushing yards per game to running backs, including SEVEN touchdowns. Rodgers is a plug-and-play RB2 in a dream spot.

Oct 19 - 3:31 PM

Bucs coach Dirk Koetter said he is not sure when Doug Martin (hamstring) will return.

Martin suffered a setback in his rehab over the weekend and is out indefinitely. It is a major blow to fantasy owners considering the matchup with the 49ers this week, but there are plenty more juicy opportunities remaining on the schedule if Martin can get back healthy. He could be out another game or two, but Martin can still be a fantasy factor this season.

Oct 22 - 10:18 AM

15 minutes ago, T-BONE said:

Any chance he play next week?

As far as I know, TB hasn't given any kind of time table for return.  That being said, I don't expect him to play week 10, but week 11 (IMO) is a possibility.  It will have been between 4-5 weeks at that point since his "setback."  Even if the setback was as severe as the original injury, that was the estimated date for return (about 4-5 weeks).  Hopefully, he'll practice between now & then.

38 minutes ago, pbandy1 said:

I think I actually have to start this guy this week. :bag:

Me too.   It's him or Bial Powell...

Don't expect him to start.  It's of course possible, but I'm hearing from beat reporters he's probably at least a week or two away from starting.  Always hard to tell though with injuries teams keep so close to the vest.

1 hour ago, btemp said:

Don't expect him to start.  It's of course possible, but I'm hearing from beat reporters he's probably at least a week or two away from starting.  Always hard to tell though with injuries teams keep so close to the vest.

Which beat reporters?

Are they giving any indication if it's merely a matter of re-conditioning, or he's not ready & the Bucs are trying to "rush" him back?

Also, are they saying Barber or James for week 10?

Bloom is certainly confident on Martin's return. 

This week

Edited by loser

5 minutes ago, Bayhawks said:

Which beat reporters?

Are they giving any indication if it's merely a matter of re-conditioning, or he's not ready & the Bucs are trying to "rush" him back?

Also, are they saying Barber or James for week 10?

It was in the press conference today with the Bucs OC.  Said they're going to have to rely on Mike James and it's hard for a rookie to learn pass pro.

It's all inference at this point because the Bucs are playing it close to the vest.  But it seems like he won't play, and one of the beat reporters (don't remember who) pointed out that Clinton McDonald has been practicing for 3 weeks and still hasn't played.  Saw Robert Ayers held out for a while as well.  

Barring Martin actually playing, I think James is the back to own.  Hard to say because it'll likely be an RBBC, but heading into the season they liked him as their 3rd RB before he got injured. 

53 minutes ago, btemp said:

It was in the press conference today with the Bucs OC.  Said they're going to have to rely on Mike James and it's hard for a rookie to learn pass pro.

It's all inference at this point because the Bucs are playing it close to the vest.  But it seems like he won't play, and one of the beat reporters (don't remember who) pointed out that Clinton McDonald has been practicing for 3 weeks and still hasn't played.  Saw Robert Ayers held out for a while as well.  

Barring Martin actually playing, I think James is the back to own.  Hard to say because it'll likely be an RBBC, but heading into the season they liked him as their 3rd RB before he got injured. 

Sorry, I'm confused.

Was it beat reporters, or the bucs OC who said Martin was at least a week or two away from starting?

And, if the OC said they're going to rely on James, how is that "all inference" at this point, and the bucs "playing it close to the vest?". If the OC said they're gonna rely on James, we don't have to infer anything.

James is on the WW, and if he's gonna be the guy for a week or two, that is really valuable this time of (the ff) year.

38 minutes ago, Bayhawks said:

Sorry, I'm confused.

Was it beat reporters, or the bucs OC who said Martin was at least a week or two away from starting?

And, if the OC said they're going to rely on James, how is that "all inference" at this point, and the bucs "playing it close to the vest?". If the OC said they're gonna rely on James, we don't have to infer anything.

James is on the WW, and if he's gonna be the guy for a week or two, that is really valuable this time of (the ff) year.

1) A Bucs beat reporter suggested on Twitter that Martin could be another week or two before returning (I can't find the tweet). This is inference based on how the team is talking about Martin, not because of anything specific.  

2) The Bucs OC said they'd have to rely on James (at the press conference today).  That doesn't mean it won't be an RBBC but I've been banging the drum for James over Barber once Jacquizz went down.  The inference in this case is what does "rely upon" mean?  What if Martin returns this week? Does "rely upon" mean that James is the 3rd down back given Barber's pass pro difficulty?

'Too early to tell' if Doug Martin will play

The Tampa Bay Times says it was "too early to tell" if Doug Martin (hamstring) would be cleared to play in Week 10 following Wednesday's practice.

Key will be Thursday's practice and Martin's ability to bounce back from Wednesday's work following setbacks with his hamstring and so much time off. The Tampa Bay Times' Greg Auman did tweet that Martin "looked good," mostly performing agility drills during the portion of practice open to the media. Even if Martin returns to action in Week 10, a full workload would seem very unlikely.
Source: Tampa Bay Times
Nov 9 - 11:12 PM

7 hours ago, btemp said:

1) A Bucs beat reporter suggested on Twitter that Martin could be another week or two before returning (I can't find the tweet). This is inference based on how the team is talking about Martin, not because of anything specific.  

2) The Bucs OC said they'd have to rely on James (at the press conference today).  That doesn't mean it won't be an RBBC but I've been banging the drum for James over Barber once Jacquizz went down.  The inference in this case is what does "rely upon" mean?  What if Martin returns this week? Does "rely upon" mean that James is the 3rd down back given Barber's pass pro difficulty?

OK, got, it.  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Efritch4 said:

Doug Martin WILL be playing tomorrow vs the Bears

I would like to see him limited on snaps and eased back in.  Want to see him healthy for the FFB stretch/playoffs.

18 minutes ago, Efritch4 said:

Doug Martin WILL be playing tomorrow vs the Bears

14 minutes ago, OU#1 said:

I would like to see him limited on snaps and eased back in.  Want to see him healthy for the FFB stretch/playoffs.

The Tampa Bay Times reports Doug Martin (hamstring, questionable) will be active Week 10 against the Bears.

Tampa Bay waived RB Russell Hansbrough, a sure sign Martin will be active after getting in a full practice Friday. Martin will likely play limited snaps in his first game action since Week 2, but he has RB3/FLEX appeal in a barren running back landscape. Peyton Barber will serve as the No. 2 and should see plenty of work as well.
Source: Tampa Bay Times
Nov 12 - 3:19 PM

Going to a tough call for a lot of people this weekend. 

I think they can beat the bears at home without him.  prob should sit him and see how he looks before starting him unless you are desperate 

This week I'm beyond desperate, pretty much have to start a Tampa Back, I have barber and martin, James is on the wire..

Not a good spot to be in.. :(

1 hour ago, need2know said:

I think they can beat the bears at home without him.  prob should sit him and see how he looks before starting him unless you are desperate 

I think the Bears beat Tampa with or without Martin. Bears have been pretty good the last few weeks, Tampa looks awful other than Mike Evans. I think they need Martin to have a chance of winning. That said, I wouldn't force Martin into lineups, I'd say he's in the 15-20 range at RB this week. He's the obvious call among Tampa RBs though.

49 minutes ago, travdogg said:

I think the Bears beat Tampa with or without Martin. Bears have been pretty good the last few weeks, Tampa looks awful other than Mike Evans. I think they need Martin to have a chance of winning. That said, I wouldn't force Martin into lineups, I'd say he's in the 15-20 range at RB this week. He's the obvious call among Tampa RBs though.

The bears have played one good game all year... last week.   

1 hour ago, NajehHejan said:

Anti starting him?

I did.  Was him or Chris Thompson.  

Bucs coach Dirk Koetter said, "There’s nothing wrong with Doug Martin."

"Doug has been running hard," Koetter said. "What we’ve got to do is give him more lanes." Much has been made about Martin's sub-3 yards-per-carry average since returning from injury, but Koetter thinks the back has been making something out of nothing. Unfortunately, those effort yards have not amounted to much for fantasy owners. With a tough matchup against the Cowboys up next, Martin will be no better than a mid-range RB2.

Dec 13 - 10:52 AM

Tough matchup versus the boys, but these numbers tonight are disheartening heading into championship week.

Juicy NO matchup, but Sims is out there a ton.

Going to be a tough decision what to do with this guy.

Working for him: He's the goal-line guy, should get a decent amount of volume and it's a good matchup. 

Working against him: Everything else. O-line, Sims as a receiver (could take over in the backfield if the Bucs get way behind) and his mediocre production since returning.

Blessing in disguise for me.  I had him in my lineup, and had to scramble to find another available starter that hadn't already played an early holiday game.  Tossed the dice and grabbed LaFell off the WW.  Martin's ineffectiveness finally paid off for me!  Of course I'm now firmly in the Never Again camp.  Sayanara Douglas.

• Like 1

Doug about to issue a statement this afternoon.  Always weird when the player does that. 

Retirement...? :unsure::oldunsure: 

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Doug about to issue a statement this afternoon.  Always weird when the player does that. 

Get out of my brain.

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Wow very odd

Source: #Bucs RB Doug Martin is stepping away from the team to take care of personal issues.