What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Odd story. He was not going to be activated this week so why bother to issue a statement about needing to leave the team for personal issues? All he had was another day or two of practice and his season was over.
The reason he hasn't been activated is because of the personal issues. 

I don't think so but even is so just do another day or two of practice and it's over.
So you think they just benched their 1400 yard RB from a year ago who they just extended in a must-win game to make the playoffs in favor of Peyton Barber then? Ok. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So what the heck does this mean from a dynasty perspective?
Hurts his value a lot at this point.  The thing is we don't have any details into what personal issues he is having.  He is almost untradeable until we get some details at a later point.

So you think a guy running for 2.9 YPC when Barber and Quiz are both over 4 YPC has zero to do with actual on field perfomance? Ok.
Bucs RB Doug Martin says in statement he was notified of four-game suspension for violating NFL's drug policy.

Bucs RB Doug Martin says he is entering a treatment facility to "receive the help I truly need."
Not sure your point. He was eligible to play last week in a must win game and they benched him, that has nothing to with a suspension he did not even need to serve until next season. They benched him last week because he was not running effectively.   If you say he was not running effectively because of upcoming drug suspension you are welcome to believe that but he'd be the first player I know to suddenly stop being able to produce because he failed a drug test.

Not sure your point. He was eligible to play last week in a must win game and they benched him, that has nothing to with a suspension he did not even need to serve until next season. They benched him last week because he was not running effectively.   If you say he was not running effectively because of upcoming drug suspension you are welcome to believe that but he'd be the first player I know to suddenly stop being able to produce because he failed a drug test.
Oh, so you don't think the team knew about this then? 

lol

Maybe it's a little of both.  But for crying out loud drop it already.  Who cares at this point?   The guy has some kind of personal/drug issue. No need to debate the chicken or the egg 

Oh, so you don't think the team knew about this then? 

lol
 Of course the team knew, every team knows. But remind please, when was the last time a team benched a player over an possible upcoming suspension?

Remind me again what is your point exactly? Is it he got benched for personal issues or ran poorly because of personal issues? I really can't follow where you are going with this but please allow someone here to clear and concise. He got benched because he was not performing well. Period.

Let's just say I know somebody that knows somebody.  The year they didn't extend his contact I had heard rumors be liked to party.  That was apparently why they didn't pick up the fifth year option on his contract.  Ended up having a great year so they extended him.  I figured meh, either bs or not a problem anymore.

Last weekend I hear from my  source that there was something big coming down, and mentioned he screwed up on an offseason vacation.  I assume he failed the test at the beginning of the season, and they have known for a while.  I don't think he is in the system, so that should have been his only test.

Fwiw someone posted in a joebucsfan comment, that Doug had an alcohol problem.  

This could all be bs, but the same could have been said for all of the Josh Freeman rumors that swirled.  Turns out many of those were true.  

Who knows... I hope he gets help.

Damn.  Where's the post where Quez predicted this?  There were rumblings back when Freeman was here that they both had a molly addiction. 

Let's just say I know somebody that knows somebody.  The year they didn't extend his contact I had heard rumors be liked to party.  That was apparently why they didn't pick up the fifth year option on his contract.  Ended up having a great year so they extended him.  I figured meh, either bs or not a problem anymore.

Last weekend I hear from my  source that there was something big coming down, and mentioned he screwed up on an offseason vacation.  I assume he failed the test at the beginning of the season, and they have known for a while.  I don't think he is in the system, so that should have been his only test.

Fwiw someone posted in a joebucsfan comment, that Doug had an alcohol problem.  

This could all be bs, but the same could have been said for all of the Josh Freeman rumors that swirled.  Turns out many of those were true.  

Who knows... I hope he gets help.
So would it be safe to say you don't think it's for PEDs?

My buddy just told me the rumor he heard was he may have taken the vacation in the offseason to avoid the test.

@Rapsheet the @NFL says #Bucs RB Doug Martin is suspended for violating the PED policy. I’m told it’s for adderall & part of the issues he’s battling

This past offseason, Martin signed a five-year deal worth $35.75 million with $15 million guaranteed. If the Bucs decide to part ways with Martin, the fourth-highest- paid player on their team, sources told ESPN's Field Yates that the suspension would void his $7 million guaranteed base salary for 2017.

Based on my calculations this suspension cost Martin $500,000 this week and $437,500 for three games next season for a total loss of $1,812,500. Teams can recoup some signing bonus money when a player is suspended but he only got guaranteed base salaries so nothing else to recoup, unless the team has language in his deal which voids contract entirely.

I wonder if Tampa would have preferred he wait till next season to serve his suspension? They save $62,500 by not paying him this week versus a game next year but that's chump change and extra salary cap room does them no good this year. So as of now I have it calculated as he is owed a guaranteed $5,687,500 next year for 13 game checks, again unless they have language in contract which voids entire deal.

I'm pretty sure MDMA shows up as an amphetamine like Adderall/Ritalin on the test they use.

One time I was at a Budweiser Bucs kickoff party in channelside taking a piss in the old bennigans.  I overheard this wannabe gangster talking on the phone to his buddy telling him about the party and the players there.  He said aquib talibs name, then proceeds to boast that he sold him weed and Molly.  A few years after he was suspended for "Adderall".

Josh Freeman apparently had ADHD so was allowed to use it, but there were tons of rumors of him using ecstacy.  After he was out of the league I was still seeing pictures of him at music fest.  The same one 2 people overdosed on ecstacy at last yeAr.  Sunshine music fest, although he was at the one 2-3 years ago I believe.  I'm pretty sure everyone at those music fest are on something.

This past offseason, Martin signed a five-year deal worth $35.75 million with $15 million guaranteed. If the Bucs decide to part ways with Martin, the fourth-highest- paid player on their team, sources told ESPN's Field Yates that the suspension would void his $7 million guaranteed base salary for 2017
Now being reported by multiple people. So assuming true that means Tampa can release him with $0 cap hit.

So is a 4 game suspension for a first time offense or has he been busted before?  I can't keep PEDs and drug policies straight (if I am right they are different).

This past offseason, Martin signed a five-year deal worth $35.75 million with $15 million guaranteed. If the Bucs decide to part ways with Martin, the fourth-highest- paid player on their team, sources told ESPN's Field Yates that the suspension would void his $7 million guaranteed base salary for 2017
Now being reported by multiple people. So assuming true that means Tampa can release him with $0 cap hit.
That's some expensive drugs right there. 

menobrown said:
Based on my calculations this suspension cost Martin $500,000 this week and $437,500 for three games next season for a total loss of $1,812,500. Teams can recoup some signing bonus money when a player is suspended but he only got guaranteed base salaries so nothing else to recoup, unless the team has language in his deal which voids contract entirely.
******* owes me about a grand for the zero he got me last Saturday. Yea go get help Doug or don't,  whatever :rolleyes:

I'm a little disappointed that the Bucs pr department isn't on the same page as Doug Martin here.  We have 3 diff angles going on here.

-Performance enhancing

-Substance abuse 

-Adderal

Stick with 1 story for crying out loud

We all know what happens here.  The Bucs cut him, and he resigns a 1yr deal with New England.
lol I like the standard "will sign with NE" post. I think this is actually kind of realistic. He would fill in for Blount nicely. I'm not sure they can afford him; I'm not sure what their salary situation is. They've had ample opportunity to go get a good RB but they keep bringing Blount back and he does well. They have Davis who is promising and White. I'm not sure they need to spend lots of money on a RB. 

I actually think Jacksonville might be a good destination for him. Possibly Minnesota, Philadelphia, Indianapolis. I look at teams that probably are a good RB away from being a really good team. Sure there are some other destinations for him but those might be the ones that reach a little further for a piece that puts them over the top. 

It sucks to lose a player and not get anything, but they would be saving a ton of money.  This is an easy out for the Bucs.  Then they can target Dalvin Cook.

Maybe he'll restructure as opposed to being outright released?  I'd be fine if they kept him.  Sims can't stay healthy and Barber is just a guy.  It sounds like the Bucs can get completely out from under this deal though due to the suspension.

As far as drafting Cook?  No thanks.  Great talent, but if the line isn't there it doesn't matter.  This draft is super deep at RB anyway.  I'm fine if they take one, but not that early.  Lose Doug.  Gain Cook.  Go 8-8 again.  Jameis needs weapons to throw the ball to and time to find them.  Watching Dak Prescott stand behind Dallas' line the other night and pick the Bucs apart should give Licht the blueprint he needs.  Once that's in place then invest in an uber talent at RB.  WA LA, 14-2.

I'm a little disappointed that the Bucs pr department isn't on the same page as Doug Martin here.  We have 3 diff angles going on here.

-Performance enhancing

-Substance abuse 

-Adderal

Stick with 1 story for crying out loud
PFT is reporting it is Adderall--which is mandated under the substance abuse policy during the off season. However, the NFL puts it under the performing enhancing category if a player is caught testing positive for it during the regular season--as Adderall is a masking agent for steroids.  Regardless--I'm not sure if the bucs keep him.  They can save themselves some money--and in brutal honesty--jacquizz looked far more dynamic than him even the little that he did get on the field this season.  

PFT is reporting it is Adderall--which is mandated under the substance abuse policy during the off season. However, the NFL puts it under the performing enhancing category if a player is caught testing positive for it during the regular season--as Adderall is a masking agent for steroids.  Regardless--I'm not sure if the bucs keep him.  They can save themselves some money--and in brutal honesty--jacquizz looked far more dynamic than him even the little that he did get on the field this season.  
I don't see them having Jacquizz as their starter next year... maybe, but he's not going to lead you to a superbowl. I honestly could see TB as a potential landing spot for L. Murray. A RB who won't break the bank but will give you what you need with Sims as your passing down back. 

What's his trade value now? I got an offer for a 2018 1st, 2nd & 3rd (fairly low around 1.10), feel like I should pull the trigger...

What's his trade value now? I got an offer for a 2018 1st, 2nd & 3rd (fairly low around 1.10), feel like I should pull the trigger...
I would take that.  In my league I bought M. Ingram for a 1.10 during preseason 2015...as a value comparison in my waters.  The two had been carrying similar value since then, with the normal swings up and down.  Your miles may vary though.

Doug Martin has always been a bit of a malcontent. He had a great rookie season and a great year before his contract was up but other than that he's underperformed the other years. I love his talent but he tends to not care unless he's playing for a contract it seems. 

I just accepted the offer  and got Goff as well. 

I think it's a fair trade, with Martin still being fairly young and interesting upside either in Buccs or elsewhere, but ultimately I prefer the pics, can't deal with the headache, I still won my league, but was close... Played Moncrief instead and I was like gtfo after that 

Maybe he'll restructure as opposed to being outright released?  I'd be fine if they kept him.  Sims can't stay healthy and Barber is just a guy.  It sounds like the Bucs can get completely out from under this deal though due to the suspension.

As far as drafting Cook?  No thanks.  Great talent, but if the line isn't there it doesn't matter.  This draft is super deep at RB anyway.  I'm fine if they take one, but not that early.  Lose Doug.  Gain Cook.  Go 8-8 again.  Jameis needs weapons to throw the ball to and time to find them.  Watching Dak Prescott stand behind Dallas' line the other night and pick the Bucs apart should give Licht the blueprint he needs.  Once that's in place then invest in an uber talent at RB.  WA LA, 14-2.
There's no first round talent at oline this year though. 

This is probably a dumb question--but didn't he get benched for 1 or 2 weeks before the suspension was announced?    Is there anything in his contract to where doing that was in the best interest of the Bucs-or-- is it possible they just sat him because they don't want to risk him getting injured--and are planning on trading him/shopping him around?   

Users who are viewing this thread