What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Yeah, he definitely looks good. Given how much volume he'll see when he gets back his low-end RB3 price tag is essentially his floor. The opportunity cost is low as long as he stays in and around the 7th round. If he starts to rise I'll start to weigh his injury history and efficiency (or lack thereof) from previous seasons more heavily.
I got him at 7.02 as my RB3 tonight. Blount, Ingram, DMC, Woodhead and Perkins all went in the 7th after him. It wasn't an easy decision choosing between Martin, Ingram and Woodhead in PPR. All of them have finished as RB1s at different points in their careers but I think Martin has the most upside of the three this year. This round seemed to have good RB value in general.

SameSongNDance said:
I got him at 7.02 as my RB3 tonight. Blount, Ingram, DMC, Woodhead and Perkins all went in the 7th after him. It wasn't an easy decision choosing between Martin, Ingram and Woodhead in PPR. All of them have finished as RB1s at different points in their careers but I think Martin has the most upside of the three this year. This round seemed to have good RB value in general.
Ingram vs Martin is a tough call. Either way it is a dream scenario getting one of those guys there- makes me want to push other positions and snag my RB2 there. I am skeptical about Woodhead. He is 32.6 and coming an ACL tear. He is extremely small and will be worthless if he loses much quickness and burst. I know he is a great pass catcher and the Ravens throw to the RBs a ton, but this Baltimore offense looks a train wreck. 

I'm not clear why woodhead, who is an injury away from the end of his career, is even close to Ingram or Martin. He will never play a full season, it's a near certainty he will break again.

SameSongNDance said:
Martin and Ingram both went in the 5 round of my 10 team redraft last night, Perkins in the 6, Woodhead7 and DMC8

Ride the wave..he's one a few guys guaranteed to get a lot of touches/gm that in itself is worth the price..you just hope he's somewhat decent and you've got yourself a quality FF player..

tons of upside from a guy who's done well a couple of times before..

Back on the train this year, grabbed him at 6.02 in my non ppr 12 man league after going WR/WR/QB/RB/TE, so really need him to come through. Possibly looking at an RB1 from week 4 onwards, hard to pass up that value 

Ride the wave..he's one a few guys guaranteed to get a lot of touches/gm that in itself is worth the price..you just hope he's somewhat decent and you've got yourself a quality FF player..

tons of upside from a guy who's done well a couple of times before..
I don't think anything is guaranteed when he comes back. Martin should be the lead guy upon his return, but don't rule out Rodgers remaining in the mix if he does well.

I got him at 7.02 as my RB3 tonight.
I took him at 6.04 to be my eventual RB2. I was able to land Quizz Rodgers in the 13th so I can rotate him in with Eddie Lacy as my RB2 until Martin comes back in Week 4. The next 4 picks were all RBs (McFadden, Coleman, Gillislee and Abdullah) so I was happy to take the only one that would make me comfortable as a RB2 despite having to wait the suspension out.

I don't think anything is guaranteed when he comes back. Martin should be the lead guy upon his return, but don't rule out Rodgers remaining in the mix if he does well.
Agreed. Martin did have a pretty crappy year last year after all. That can't be completely discounted.

Agreed. Martin did have a pretty crappy year last year after all. That can't be completely discounted.
To be clear- I'm bullish on Martin this season- but I'd be lying if I said that I'm not worried about what would happen if Jacquizz were to look really good the first couple of games. With that being said- I still like the risk/reward ratio for Martin anywhere 5th roundish or after.

I grabbed Martin in a few places this year. He was consistently available as about RB28-30, often going after Powell, Peterson, Gillislee, etc.  I'm not even a big fan of his--2 great years and 3 disastrous ones isn't exactly an all-pro track record--but at that price I think he's hard not take.  Very low-risk investment with potential massive payout on what should be one of the league's rising offenses.

In my 12 team Super-flex, PPR redraft yesterday I took Martin at 7.10 as the #30 RB off the board.  I am thrilled to have him as a #3 RB on my squad behind Howard & Hyde.  I was considering him at 6.4 (went Tyreek) and never imagined he would fall back to me. Love when those situations develop in a draft, watching a guy you love slowly slide while your hope/anxiety/relief/dread increase with each successive pick. Best day of the year.

RBs who went before Martin were A.Peterson (7.9), Gillislee (7.6), T.West (7.3) & E.Lacy 6.12. I may have considered Lacy ahead of Martin but even then I think I would have gone with Martin.

RBs still on the board were Woodhead (8.1) Blount (8.2), R.Kelley (8.6) & P.Perkins (8.9).  I was looking at Kelley, and it may have been a mistake not too take him, but after Hard Knocks I'm all-in on Martin.

One more week to go for Doug Martin...I bought low on him in every league I’m in. I honestly think this guy has RB1 potential going forward...If he’s on your ww (believe it or not he was on some last week) grab him now!

RB1 potential is clear... the guy has finished RB3 overall in two different seasons.  Of course he's also been RB56 (but only played 6 games), RB49 (11 games), and RB50 (9 games).

Just a crazy amount of variance with this guy.

Going to try and trade for him. 16-teamer standard scoring, Martavis Bryant enough to get him?
I doubt you're going to find many Martin owners who'll deal him now that he's one week away.  You'd need a fairly perfect storm, like a Martin owner who also happened to hit on Hunt and Hyde, picked up one of Cohen, Carson, etc., and already feels set at RB.  And you'd certainly have to offer more than a guy who nearly bageled 2 of 3 games and hasn't exactly looked impressive so far.

I ask because the owner has Hyde and Lamar Miller. He's fairly weak at WR and TE, and I'm wondering how high I have to go up to make that deal. DeAndre Hopkins and Cameron Brate feels like a bit much.

I ask because the owner has Hyde and Lamar Miller. He's fairly weak at WR and TE, and I'm wondering how high I have to go up to make that deal. DeAndre Hopkins and Cameron Brate feels like a bit much.
Hopkins for Martin is fair.

Brate isn't adding much and certainly shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Hopkins for Martin is fair.

Brate isn't adding much and certainly shouldn't be a dealbreaker.
I think it's me adding value to Brate (7 TDs in last 11 games and lines up in the slot in 2 TE sets) and not buying fully into Martin considering there was talk if Rodgers did well he could lose his spot. But you guys are right, with his skillset if the staff fully views him as the starter he has RB1 value.

I think it's me adding value to Brate (7 TDs in last 11 games and lines up in the slot in 2 TE sets) and not buying fully into Martin considering there was talk if Rodgers did well he could lose his spot. But you guys are right, with his skillset if the staff fully views him as the starter he has RB1 value.
Where are people getting the narrative of Jaquizz having a shot at unseating Martin? Everything coming out of Tampa that I have read or watched (Hard Knocks) indicates that Martin is unquestionably the guy and he has been as motivated as ever.

'quizz has never been much of anything, and has certainly never done anything approaching what Martin has on the field.

Did i miss a bunch of articles with comments from coaches, or even "sources close to the team" saying that 'quizz had a shot at the starting job?

Where are people getting the narrative of Jaquizz having a shot at unseating Martin? Everything coming out of Tampa that I have read or watched (Hard Knocks) indicates that Martin is unquestionably the guy and he has been as motivated as ever.

'quizz has never been much of anything, and has certainly never done anything approaching what Martin has on the field.

Did i miss a bunch of articles with comments from coaches, or even "sources close to the team" saying that 'quizz had a shot at the starting job?
Not sure why people have bought into this. The coaches only wanted to motivate Doug Martin, seems clear enough to me.

Especially now after watching Quizz play this season. A running back of his size should run faster and dodge defenders better. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Preseason where the coaching staff and Dirk Koetter wouldn't name Martin the unquestioned starter. Motivational ploy or not, he did give Rodgers (who did well the previous year) a shot to impress.

Not sure why people have bought into this. The coaches only wanted to motivate Doug Martin, seems clear enough to me.

Especially now after watching Quizz play this season. A running back of his size should run faster and dodge defenders better. 
See, I don't even read that from the situation. Did the coaches actually say anything to the effect that Martin wasn't a lock for the #1 RB spot? If so, when?

See, I don't even read that from the situation. Did the coaches actually say anything to the effect that Martin wasn't a lock for the #1 RB spot? If so, when?
You're reading too much into it. Koetter gave a small window for Rodgers to knock his socks off, Rodgers was barely average, Martin has the job locked up short of Rodgers running for 400 yards vs. the Giants.

You're reading too much into it. Koetter gave a small window for Rodgers to knock his socks off, Rodgers was barely average, Martin has the job locked up short of Rodgers running for 400 yards vs. the Giants.
The only thing I read into it was it's Martin's job and always has been. I was just curious where the 'quizz narrative comes from. Seems like wishful thinking.

No idea why his narrative has continued to thrive. I could have sworn that last week on the waiver wire podcast I heard Bloom say that 'when Martin comes back it will be a committee with him, Rodgers and Sims'. I almost spat out my imaginary coffee when I heard it. 

Sims will get his usual handful of receptions, and Rodgers may be spelled in at times, but this is Martins backfield and he will get 15+ touches every week and likely 20+ in a lot of them. Can see Tampa leaning on the run again and keeping Winston in check, especially if Martin comes back and is running well. 

Im not starting Jaquizz in any of my 3 leagues this week where I also own Martin . Maybe it's tempting fate a little, but I'm tempted to wholesale drop him for some other lottery tickets, since Martin will be back the week after. 

ehhhhh I would go that far to drop 'Quizz, Martin owner or not. There have been plenty of NFL situation where the clearly more talented player is locked in a timeshare or outright doesn't get a starting job because of "football reasons". Cincy is a perfect example with Jeremy Hill/Gio over Joe Mixon, and it took a near mutiny and an OC firing to change that.

The narrative persisted because many people tied to the staff put it out there. This isn't a phantom thing, there were more than a few pieces about it in August. Made Jacquizz a valuable lotto ticket for ZeroRB strats. Koetter is being hard on Martin.

Rodgers hasn't helped his cause at all and if he's stuffed by the NYG (which I think he will) I think Martin walks right into the starters job.

I definitely remember reading some #### about how Dougie will have to earn his spot when returns. Don't have a link though. So you can just take my word for it potato head.

Yeah the GM said something to the effect that his role wasn't locked, even his roster spot.  I think he was basically just saying we're not handing anything to anyone.  Doug Martin is the most undervalued RB fantasy wide this year.  It's criminal how late he went in drafts.  He's going to have a great year.  I'm ready to drop Quiz this week for whatever streaming piece I want to pick up next.

Yeah the GM said something to the effect that his role wasn't locked, even his roster spot.  I think he was basically just saying we're not handing anything to anyone.  Doug Martin is the most undervalued RB fantasy wide this year.  It's criminal how late he went in drafts.  He's going to have a great year.  I'm ready to drop Quiz this week for whatever streaming piece I want to pick up next.
I sure hope you're right 

I sure hope you guys are right about Doug e fresh.  Because I have a share of him in every league I'm in.  I've never drafted/owned him before.  But I couldn't pass up his value in the 6th rd.  

In one league he will be my rb3 behind ajayi and Hyde.  Here's hoping he beasts out!

Rodgers was a complete non factor in his most recent game against the Vikings. Kind of forgot he was playing until I read the recent posts in this thread.

If Martin had been available for the game the Bucs would have been more balanced and a much more difficult to beat. I don't see Rodgers standing in Martins way to opportunity at all.

Boys (and girls):   I've been holding Doug since the draft and want to share in the bubbly excitement brewing in here.  I like koolaid as much as the next guy, unless the next guy is Eddie Lacy.

Digressing, expectations need to be tempered here.  This is a borderline lottery ticket.  Remind me the last time Doug Martin was a fantasy game changer?   Even in his best beat (rookie), he basically compiled all his fantasy point Julio Jones style:  4 weeks of awesome and the rest I wish I didn't start him.  Since then he has been a fantasy wasteland.  

I watched hard knocks and got excited about his prospects this year too.  I bought in the sixth round.  But remember.  He will be coming in cold, a third of the season in, and will likely be part of a platoon for at least two weeks to start.  Not startable until week 9 minimum.  Unless your team blows r you've been nipped by injuries. 

Just saying, temper expectations. This is a slow roll that will hopefully pay off as a nice flex/upside RB2 play down the home stretch. 

Users who are viewing this thread