What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Doug Martin remained in the concussion protocol on Monday.

It's not really all that surprising, and a more concrete update will come when the Bucs return to practice Wednesday. But it's notable nonetheless, especially after Peyton Barber's huge Week 13 on the road against the Packers. Barber deserves another shot in the lead role. Fantasy owners would feel much more comfortable trotting Barber out there in lineups if Martin sits again.

Source: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

Dec 5 - 10:35 PM

The Buccaneers are expected to start Peyton Barber at running back on Monday night against the Falcons.

Bucs beat writers hinted at this earlier in the week. Barber scored two TDs in Week 12 against the Falcons, then parlayed 35 carries into 160 yards (4.57 YPC) with five catches for 46 yards combined in Weeks 13-14. He is getting the nod over ineffective Doug Martin. Jacquizz Rodgers also figures to mix in for a few carries, and Charles Sims will handle most passing-down work.
He's done in Tampa Bay, barring massive RB injuries I can't see him back with the team in 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
where are people ranking him in dynasty?

i'm having a hard time fitting him into the top 40 RBs... and that's before a crop of rookie RBs come in.

Cowboysfan8 said:
Inactive 
Seriously brings back nightmares of last years championship game.  I get up set my lineup, leave for hockey and come to find out hours later he get declared inactive for breaking team rules.  I of course lose by 4 points. (Thankfully I was never going to start him this year)  I’m cutting his ### this offseason, I hate this dude.  

The Frankman said:
He's done in Tampa Bay, barring massive RB injuries I can't see him back with the team in 2018.
The question is where does he end up and would he be a nice buy low right now?

Gally said:
The question is where does he end up and would he be a nice buy low right now?

i would probably be selling for anything i could get at this point.

he might be a talent upgrade for a handful of teams, but i have a hard time seeing any team bringing him in to start at this point.

and given how much of an unreliable headache he's been for the bucs for 6 seasons, i also don't see a team bringing him in to be the vet backup to a young talented but somewhat unproven runner (like in miami).

i see him landing in a similar situation to adrian peterson last year: an extra cog in a clogged backfield on a team with some cap space to burn.

Bucs GM Jason Licht said Doug Martin "wasn't ever the same" after returning from suspension.

Martin looked great in his first game back, rushing for 74 yards and a score on just 13 carries against the Patriots, but it was all downhill from there. He was disciplined for a team-rules violation in Week 13, and he watched Peyton Barber jump him on the depth chart. The Bucs can wipe all of Martin's $6.75 million salary off the cap by cutting him. It would be a shock if that did not happen.

Source: Tampa Bay Times 

Jan 16 - 9:34 AM

I think the Bucs spend some draft capital on RB this year. They cant keep running out the same set of jags they’ve been relying on.

where are people ranking him in dynasty?

i'm having a hard time fitting him into the top 40 RBs... and that's before a crop of rookie RBs come in.
He's outside of the top 40 for me for sure. I'm not convinced anyone signs him to fill a significant role and it wouldn't be shocking if he no one signs at all or at least until late in the summer if/when injuries happen. I own him in one league and will hold and hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was suspended for PEDs (although he also went to rehab for some reason), so maybe he couldn't perform well without them?
Maybe he does need the PEDs but being away from the team for 3 weeks would not have anything to do with that. Licht is acting like he fell apart those 3  weeks away from the team, that really makes no sense on the surface. Maybe he has personal problems that cropped up during those 3 weeks he was away from the team but again on the surface to say someone that was only away from the team for 3 weeks, who was perfectly healthy and able to workout, was just not the same the rest of the season does not compute.

He's outside of the top 40 for me for sure. I'm not convinced anyone signs him to fill a significant role and it wouldn't be shocking if he no one signs at all or at least until late in the summer if/when injuries happen. I own him in one league and will hold and hope I'm wrong.
We cut down to 19 players in the summer, I am assuming he will be getting the axe from my team and I'm totally fine with that.  I don't have much hope he will sign and do anything significant with another team, and I highly doubt anyone will give me anything even mildly worthwhile for him.

Traded him in dynasty to the zeke owner rt before Martin lost the starting gig to barber.  Got doctson for him.  Feel like a thief. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Raiders recently met with free agent RB Doug Martin.

Coach Jon Gruden had a sit-down with Martin and said he was impressed with him "as a person." Per Rapoport, the Raiders are expected to make a "strong push" for Martin in free agency. The 28-year-old has finished last in the league in yards per carry each of the last two seasons but could benefit from a change of scenery. Martin grew up in nearby Stockton, California, so this would be a homecoming of sorts. Oakland's interest in Martin would suggest Gruden isn't sold on Marshawn Lynch.

Related: Raiders

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Mar 9 - 2:24 PM

The Athletic believes Doug Martin could push Marshawn Lynch for Raiders' lead back duties.

NBC Bay Area's Scott Bair reports the Raiders' new coaching staff has been "impressed by Martin thus far." He's reportedly showing renewed burst in OTAs. 29-year-old Martin had a miserable year for the Bucs last season while 32-year-old Lynch was surprisingly effective in Oakland. It's possible an unsatisfactory and unpredictable committee emerges, though Martin still has to secure his roster spot. Lynch's is more or less guaranteed after an offseason contract restructure.

Related: Marshawn Lynch

Source: Vic Tafur on Twitter 

May 29 - 3:01 PM

I've seen people here and other places compare Muscle Hamster to the two mighty mights. They may have similar height and skill sets, but Martin has 15-20 lbs on Richard and Washington. When at his best, he's notably more powerful, and that could be his edge in the roster battle.

The Athletic believes Doug Martin could push Marshawn Lynch for Raiders' lead back duties.

NBC Bay Area's Scott Bair reports the Raiders' new coaching staff has been "impressed by Martin thus far." He's reportedly showing renewed burst in OTAs. 29-year-old Martin had a miserable year for the Bucs last season while 32-year-old Lynch was surprisingly effective in Oakland. It's possible an unsatisfactory and unpredictable committee emerges, though Martin still has to secure his roster spot. Lynch's is more or less guaranteed after an offseason contract restructure.

Related: Marshawn Lynch

Source: Vic Tafur on Twitter 

May 29 - 3:01 PM
Nobody sounds better in May/June than the Hamster.  I remember last year's offseason reports that made Adam Gase sound like a pessimist by comparison.

I'm sticking with Beast Mode. Via Warren Sharp:

Out of 40 RBs with 200+ carries the last 2 years, Doug Martin ranked:

• 40th in success rate (38%)
  • 40th in YPC (2.9)
  • 40th in percentage of runs that gained 3 or fewer yards (65%)
  • 40th in percentage of runs that gained 5+ yards (25%)

Unless Martin shines so often and consistently, I see his role as backup in the Raiders short term personnel move to feature a between-the-tackles early down runner in their offense.

We know Gruden is building the offense around a strong run game, utilizing the team's strength up front on the line and a guy with Lynch's proven capabilities. Bringing on Kevin Smith from Dallas -- a purer FB as opposed to the more pass-catching FB they had in Olawale -- shows Gruden committing to a scheme he believes will benefit the offense he is installing. Set up the pass through the run, leverage PA, etc.

This is both an offensive philosophy (with so many teams set up to defend spread offenses with lighter, faster, linemen and linebackers, Gruden is zagging by attacking modern WC-based offenses at the point of their weakness), and leveraging the talent they have on the roster right now. 

Martin helps in both cases. We have another back who can fill the role of a N/S runner that all other backs not named Lynch haven't been able to fill. We saw Lynch pull himself out in situations last year, and having another guy in rotation in this model will help keep Lynch fresh and build on last year's numbers. If Lynch gets injured, we have a ready substitute with similar skillsets we did not have before.

Both guys are not long-term solutions -- I believe Gruden will look for similar thumpers in next year's draft. But both can contribute right now.

I foresee Lynch still getting the majority of carries in 1st and 2nd down situations, with Martin spelling him through the game. If for whatever reason Martin completely outshines Lynch, well, that's a first class problem to have.

The fantasy impact may actually be a slight decrease in Lynch's production this year, but I think Lynch will still hold his value at his current ADP, especially in non-PPR leagues that lean towards TDs.

Doug Martin is listed as the No. 2 running back on the Raiders' initial depth chart.

Already a favorite of Jon Gruden's back to the future coaching staff, Martin has vaulted ahead of DeAndre Washington and Jalen Richard. Martin has been extraordinarily unproductive over the past two seasons, averaging 2.93 yards on 282 carries. He turned 29 in January. Gruden seems to be seeing the ghosts of 2015 seasons past. We'll know soon enough if it's an apparition.

Source: Paul Gutierrez on Twitter 

Aug 6 - 2:56 PM

Doug Martin - RB -  Raiders

Doug Martin rushed for 20 yards on four carries and caught both of his targets for -3 yards in the Raiders' Week 1 loss to the Rams.

We were told throughout camp that Martin has "jumped out" and could even compete with Marshawn Lynch for first-string carries. Martin has responded by averaging a mediocre 4.09 YPC on the 11 rushing attempts he's received with Oakland (preseason included). With Oakland falling behind in the second half, third-stringer Jalen Richard popped for 74 total yards on 14 touches. Richard should compete with Martin moving forward, though that may not be Gruden's plan despite the former's oblivious talent.

Sep 11 - 3:55 AM

Minimal movement in Yahoo for the Oak RBs.  That's when the Shark pool pounces.  Martin in standard.  Richard in PPR.  These two should not be on waivers after Gruden publicly stated they are concerned about Lynch's groin injury.  Soft tissue injuries are a major issue for RBs.

Coach Jon Gruden said Doug Martin is "ready to go" as the Raiders' "feature back" with Marshawn Lynch (groin) on injured reserve.

Good luck. Martin hasn't done anything notable since 2015 and is averaging a foul 2.99 YPC over his last 309 attempts spanning the 2016-18 seasons. He has six touchdowns on the ground in 25 games over that span. But the Raiders have nowhere else to turn really; Jalen Richard is more of a pass-game back than featured runner. Whenever the Raiders are competitive, Martin could flirt with 15-18 carries, and that may be the case this week at home against the 2-5 Colts.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter 

Oct 24 - 2:31 PM

Through all the negativity with this situation I can't help but notice that Oak is at home vs the Colts this week.  Game script could stay competitive and he might flirt with 25 touches.

Users who are viewing this thread