What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WSL2 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Whats your second round pick going to be Ruds?

Blackmon?
WR Josh GordonWR Brandon Marshall

Unstoppable
Nice combo! A guy who must continue to self medicate, and another who must do the opposite.

Interesting twist.
:lmao:

Personally I'm not sure how I feel about my draft so far:

1.04 - Jimmy Graham, TE NOS
2.13 - C.J. Spiller, RB BUF
3.04 - Jordy Nelson, WR GBP

My goal is always to walk away from survivor drafts with at least one guy who can win you immunity all by himself - and in Graham and Spiller, I feel like I've got two. Nelson isn't explosive, but he's very consistent, plus he gets a full season of A-Rod after finishing WR13 with Tolzien and Flynn.

On the other hand, I don't feel like any of these guys are real steals - just the best of what was left from their general tiers, not higher-tier guys who fell to me (of course #80's a tier all by himself). And so far I've got 0.5 full-time RBs to fill two starting slots, and no chance to build on that for 16 picks.

If I'd known ahead of time Thomas would still be available at 3.04, I'd have taken him there, grabbed Megatron at 1.04, and I'd be feeling a lot better about my draft right now.

A few points halfway through round three. So far all I have learned is this is a draft about taking best player available. See very little strategy except waiting on QBs. Do not know if that is strategy but very few drafts any of us do where money matters would wait on a QB with even less than 16 teams in a round. Not saying it doesn't happen, I just have not seen it much. I must get use to waiting on a QB, shocked people will leave elite QBs out there for the likes of Spiller, no offense.

A few points halfway through round three. So far all I have learned is this is a draft about taking best player available. See very little strategy except waiting on QBs. Do not know if that is strategy but very few drafts any of us do where money matters would wait on a QB with even less than 16 teams in a round. Not saying it doesn't happen, I just have not seen it much. I must get use to waiting on a QB, shocked people will leave elite QBs out there for the likes of Spiller, no offense.
I'd argue that the only 3 truly elite QBs were taken appropriately and that there is a large dropoff from Rodgers to the next guy

welcome to the mock draft forum FS....good to see you participating in the discussions already, etc....

as with any league, there are many ways to skin a cat and win these bad boys....many strategies have won....with 16 teams and some pretty quality drafters in here, draft slot often dictates strategy and picks....you will see a little bit of everything....good luck

oh...and if you thought Spiller over a QB was kinda weird....have fun navigating the "runs" that will happen later.....good times ahead

Why would I reach for a QB in round 2/3 when I fell like QBs of roughly the same value will be available later.

I must get use to waiting on a QB, shocked people will leave elite QBs out there for the likes of Spiller, no offense.
I'll try not to take too much. :mellow:

Seriously, though: I agree with Valence that there are really only 3 QBs I'd consider worth the investment in this format. I don't think taking Brees where you did was a bad idea BTW, but I'd rather have Graham at 1.04 and all three of them were long gone by 2.13. Beyond those 3, there's about 9 other guys capable of putting up a top-5 season and I don't think having your "pick" of those 9 is worth blowing a 2nd-rounder on.

One way or another you're going to wind up scrambling to fill holes in your roster somewhere - that's the nature of the beast with these things. I want to leave the holes where I feel there will be the greatest opportunity to fill them later.

I'd argue that the only 3 truly elite QBs were taken appropriately and that there is a large dropoff from Rodgers to the next guy
Maybe but very few QBs who are money to get 30+ scores (Passing or Rushing) remain.

I think VBD would support the idea that taking one of these mid to low-tier QBs over a potential elite RB isn't a wise move.

Maybe but very few QBs who are money to get 30+ scores (Passing or Rushing) remain.
QB4 averaged less than 27 points per game last season. QB19 averaged over 23 points per game. If you miss on elite, there is no real advantage in going next.

I'd prefer at this point to have 2 average QBs with high variance.

QB4 averaged less than 27 points per game last season. QB19 averaged over 23 points per game. If you miss on elite, there is no real advantage in going next.

I'd prefer at this point to have 2 average QBs with high variance.
True it was last year but in 2011 & 2012 the gap was dramatically larger. I don't have set up for WSL scoring but using historical data dominator scoring QB4 scored 427 points, QB 19, 229 in 2012 (12 ppg difference not including 6 points per pass td which only makes this larger). In 2011 QB4 scored 380, QB19 274 (about 6-7 ppg difference). 2010 was more like this year so predicting whether they are tightly bunched next year based on this year only not necessarily accurate. That said if you are indifferent between QB5 & QB 19 and think any of those guys is as likely as the next to push into top 5 or 10 then waiting makes a lot of sense.

All that said I'd take Spiller over QBs 4-19 all day!

1.07 Manning

2.10 Foster

3.06 Andre Johnson

Here's to hoping:

1) Manning doesn't retire

2) Foster's back not an issue and he pays his baby mama enough to get her off his back

3) Bill O'Brien's new QB & Offense still heavily target Andre

4) Texans have an early bye so I have a shot of advancing with my 2 of my top 3 players on same bye.

Yeesh...

1- Brees

2- Bush

3- Decker

Not sexy, but it is a good start. I still think Brees can be the #1 QB any given year, Bush is a injury risk but he produces #1 numbers when he plays and Decker caught 8 scores the year Tebow was QB, he will do good with whoever is at QB, like him better if Manning is throwing him the ball though. My philosophy is safe production with elite upside these first few rounds.

1.05 Calvin Johnson - I'm a huge Calvin fan. The off-season surgery seemed minor and he has proven to be able to produce through double and triple teams. Love watching him play.

2.12 Ray Rice - 2013 was a disaster. He still had 200+ rushes and 50+ catches. If he can bounce back at all, this should be a solid value.

3.05 Julius Thomas - dominating TE on a pass 1st offense. Lots of RedZone love with 12 TDs in 14 games. If Decker leaves, the stats could improve.

Overall, I've been torn on a couple players for my 2nd and 3rd picks. Each time the players I'm considering go right before or after my pick. I haven't been surprised by a pick yet - just hoping my home redraft league doesn't draft this well in August.

With a WR, RB, and TE locked up, I can play for BPA the next couple of rounds and hopefully have a respectable team at the end of the day.

I might have taken Cameron if I didn't already have Gordon.

None of the RBs or QBs stood out to me much so I went with Vernon Davis.

Gordon/Marshall/V.Davis

Aaron Rodgers QB GB

Frank Gore RB SF

Torrey Smith WR BAL

Rob Gronkowski TE NEP

I really wanted Allen there but I'm ok with Smith as a #1. Not thrilled with Gore as an RB1 but he performed like a low end RB1 at times last season. I'd expect close to the same level in 2014. Neither are flashy picks but should provide nice baseline production to go with the upside of Gronk and Rodgers.

1.14 Dez Bryant WR DAL

2.03 Doug Martin RB TB

3.14 Keenan Allen WR SD

4.03 Nick Foles QB PHI

With this being a PPR league I like to grab a couple of WR's early. I got two good young WR's in Bryant and Allen. We already know how good Bryant is and I think Allen will be even better in year two. I wanted to come away with 1 RB early on and I ended up with Doug Martin in the 2nd. If he can come even remotely close to his numbers his rookie season he will be a nice pick-up in round two. I almost took Luck with my 3rd round pick but happy to land Foles in the 4th round. He was my backup option. In a PPG basis in one of my other leagues Foles was 3rd amongst QB's. I would think with another year in the system he would land somewhere in the top 6 amongst QB's on a PPG basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.14 Dez Bryant WR DAL

2.03 Doug Martin RB TB

3.14 Keenan Allen WR SD

4.03 Nick Foles QB PHI

With this being a PPR league I like to grab a couple of WR's early. I got two good young WR's in Bryant and Allen. We already know how good Bryant is and I think Allen will be even better in year two. I wanted to come away with 1 RB early on and I ended up with Doug Martin in the 2nd. If he can come even remotely close to his numbers his rookie season he will be a nice pick-up in round two. I almost took Luck with my 3rd round pick but happy to land Foles in the 4th round. He was my backup option. In a PPG basis in one of my other leagues Foles was 3rd amongst QB's. I would think with another year in the system he would land somewhere in the top 6 amongst QB's on a PPG basis.
My #1 question coming into this draft was where Foles would end up going. I said in the Eagles thread that I thought QB7 was fair, behind the big 3 as well as Newton / Stafford / Ryan and just ahead of Luck, so I'm not all that surprised one way or another to see him go where he did. Early 4th in a 16-teamer gives you a chance at recognizing some real value without huge risk. Nice pick there as I'd certainly have grabbed him had he fallen to me.

IWBACB pulls the big move at the 3-4 turn! Would have loved it at the 5-6- not so much here.
I doubt Stafford and Luck would have been available at the 5, 6 turn. Owners were all taking what they could at RB and Wr knowing Qbs would be there on the way down in round 4. I could feel a run on Qbs coming and I wanted to be in on it at the beginning, not the end as you suggested. When you are drafting at 16, you have to be prepared to make bold moves and live with them.

QB

Stafford

Luck

RB

Z. Stacey

WR

D. Thomas

IWBACB pulls the big move at the 3-4 turn! Would have loved it at the 5-6- not so much here.
I doubt Stafford and Luck would have been available at the 5, 6 turn. Owners were all taking what they could at RB and Wr knowing Qbs would be there on the way down in round 4. I could feel a run on Qbs coming and I wanted to be in on it at the beginning, not the end as you suggested. When you are drafting at 16, you have to be prepared to make bold moves and live with them.

QB

Stafford

Luck

RB

Z. Stacey

WR

D. Thomas
Neither Stafford or Luck would have made it back to you. It was an aggressive play and I understand it. You also helped drive the QB run.

I would have preferred a combo of RB/WR/TE at the 3/4 turn and taken QB13/QB14 at the 5/6 turn.

Luck and Stafford are a great tandem and you will likely have the highest scoring QB position next season. Lots of big potential games, but lots of potential points on the bench as well.

Lacy and Vereen - I like this combo a lot. Vereen was top 10 last year in ppg and I see no reason that should drop, wouldn't be surprised if it improves. Lacy looks like a true stud to me.

Alshon and Percy - More risk than I would usually take but I think the upside is extremely high with Harvin.

Nugget said:
Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
Nugget said:

QB

Stafford

Luck

RB

Z. Stacey

WR

D. Thomas
Neither Stafford or Luck would have made it back to you. It was an aggressive play and I understand it. You also helped drive the QB run.

I would have preferred a combo of RB/WR/TE at the 3/4 turn and taken QB13/QB14 at the 5/6 turn.

Luck and Stafford are a great tandem and you will likely have the highest scoring QB position next season. Lots of big potential games, but lots of potential points on the bench as well.
I tried this last year with Brees/Newton/Kap and flamed out early.

krsone21 said:
1.14 Dez Bryant WR DAL

2.03 Doug Martin RB TB

3.14 Keenan Allen WR SD

4.03 Nick Foles QB PHI

This just seems like a risky team. I like the Allen pick the best. Martin scares me. Didn't do much this year when he played and his backups actually did better. Dez is a ticking time bomb.

1.12 Le'Veon Bell

2.05 Julio Jones

3.12 Michael Crabtree

4.05 Knowshon Moreno

Meh. I think I'm going to have to hit some triples in the mid rounds.

1.12 Le'Veon Bell

2.05 Julio Jones

3.12 Michael Crabtree

4.05 Knowshon Moreno

I think I like this start much better than you. Really like the Jones and Crabtree picks. Not really up to speed on Moreno so maybe you can educate me why people are writing him off. Even splitting with another back there are a ton of TDs in the offense.

1.12 Le'Veon Bell

2.05 Julio Jones

3.12 Michael Crabtree

4.05 Knowshon Moreno

I think I like this start much better than you. Really like the Jones and Crabtree picks. Not really up to speed on Moreno so maybe you can educate me why people are writing him off. Even splitting with another back there are a ton of TDs in the offense.
Jones is easily my favorite pick. Crabtree and Bell are fine, if unexciting. Main concern is Moreno. Best info is that the Broncos voided their option for 2014, so he's an UFA. If he comes back, he's a bargain. If not, he's probably a big reach.

Nugget said:
Nugget said:
I doubt Stafford and Luck would have been available at the 5, 6 turn. Owners were all taking what they could at RB and Wr knowing Qbs would be there on the way down in round 4. I could feel a run on Qbs coming and I wanted to be in on it at the beginning, not the end as you suggested. When you are drafting at 16, you have to be prepared to make bold moves and live with them.QB

Stafford

Luck

RB

Z. Stacey

WR

D. Thomas

Not sure why you felt the need to draft Kap with Brees and Newton but it would appear you had to have went even earlier than I to get Brees and Newton and then spend another top 6 round pick to get Kaep.

For good or bad I am done with QB. Taking two steady QBs allows me to throw darts at other positions rather than taking a backup QB for Washington or some other guy.

If I miss on all my dart throws from here on out, then I deserve to lose. I didn't see guys out there that would impact my team as much as those two and also put a little pressure on guys holding out on QB.

I once drafted a RB from the 1 hole and I didn't do well in that league. It's not that drafting a RB with the 1 pick is a poor strategy, it's what I did with the rest of my draft that really cost me. Sorry drafting QB/QB didn't work out for you, I hope to redeem you.

Nugget said:
Nugget said:
I doubt Stafford and Luck would have been available at the 5, 6 turn. Owners were all taking what they could at RB and Wr knowing Qbs would be there on the way down in round 4. I could feel a run on Qbs coming and I wanted to be in on it at the beginning, not the end as you suggested. When you are drafting at 16, you have to be prepared to make bold moves and live with them.QB

Stafford

Luck

RB

Z. Stacey

WR

D. Thomas

Not sure why you felt the need to draft Kap with Brees and Newton but it would appear you had to have went even earlier than I to get Brees and Newton and then spend another top 6 round pick to get Kaep.For good or bad I am done with QB. Taking two steady QBs allows me to throw darts at other positions rather than taking a backup QB for Washington or some other guy.

If I miss on all my dart throws from here on out, then I deserve to lose. I didn't see guys out there that would impact my team as much as those two and also put a little pressure on guys holding out on QB.

I once drafted a RB from the 1 hole and I didn't do well in that league. It's not that drafting a RB with the 1 pick is a poor strategy, it's what I did with the rest of my draft that really cost me. Sorry drafting QB/QB didn't work out for you, I hope to redeem you.
I think in wsl1 last year bnb also did this with stafford in the 3rd and Kaepernick in the 4th and took some flack for it. Through first 13 weeks he used kaep once (week 1). By the time kaep picked things up and stafford flamed out he was out. This isn't to say it can't work just that you are potentially giving up a lot for what you perceive to be a big uptick that may not be there.I do agree it put pressure on others to get QB as you got two rock solid guys and getting stuck with qb17-20 not optimal in this format.

Irrelevants at the quarter-pole:

4.13 - Russell Wilson, QB SEA
2.13 - C.J. Spiller, RB BUF

5.04 - Ben Tate, RB HOU
3.04 - Jordy Nelson, WR GBP
1.04 - Jimmy Graham, TE NOS

I don't think Tate's any better a talent than other guys in his tier like CJ2K, Ellington, Sproles - but I do know that some GM is going to throw a lot of money at him in FA this offseason, and having done that he's going to keep trotting him out there come hell or high water. And 1,000/10 counts the same number of fantasy points whether you do it on 200 carries or 300.

Wilson finished QB10 in MFL scoring last year despite throwing 407 passes all season. Four hundred and seven! If Carroll loosens the reins on his offense even a little bit in '14 then RW3 could easily finish top 5.

Having gotten sniped twice on WRs I really wanted (Cobb and Wright), it looks like my WSL WR strategy will be quantity over quality ... my success or lack thereof may come down to how accurate a dart-thrower I am in the later rounds.

BTW ... love the pace of this draft so far, good work by everyone keeping it rolling. We're already a round and a half ahead of WSL1. :hifive:

Chris Johnson = Great value (PPR RB7). Top FA redraft back. He'll be featured somewhere. May not get 20 touches per game but even 20% decline in production would be good for top 20 RB. Strongly considered him in 4th and 5th but couldn't pass on Witten and Welker value.

Chris Johnson = Great value (PPR RB7). Top FA redraft back. He'll be featured somewhere. May not get 20 touches per game but even 20% decline in production would be good for top 20 RB. Strongly considered him in 4th and 5th but couldn't pass on Witten and Welker value.
Ill take him as a RB2 in round 5 I nthis format, I would love to see him play with a legit QB, if the Titans cut him I think hes a FA for about 5 minutes

So looking back now that I have made my round 5 and 6 selections, what my team would have looked like if I followed your suggestion or the current team.

RB and WR taken after my Stafford/Luck selections were Knowshon Moreno and Torre Smith and QBs left are obviously debateable but lets say Dalton and Roethlesburger.

Your Way:

Dalton

Roethlesburger

RB. Zac Stacey

RB knowshon Moreno

WR D. Thomas

WR Torre Smith

My Way

QB Matthew Stafford

QB Andrew Luck

RB Z. Stacey

RB maurice Jones Drew

WR D. Thomas

WR Anquan Boldin

You could substitute names for Moreno or Torre Smith that were picked even after them but basically this is the idea.

I don't know, Moreno for next year has his own questions. Torre Smith to me didn't live up to his expectations, didn't take the step forward from the year before.

jones Drew may or may not play in Jax next season, I think he will. I watched him in week 17, he still brings it. In this format he's a point producer. He still had over 40 receptions this past year and should get that going forward.

Anquan Boldin had 1100 yards and 7 tds. SF is a team that isn't going anywhere, they have a good young QB and talented offensive line that allows him to throw. With Crabtree back, his numbers will likely go down a bit but again, if you watched Boldin this past round of playoff games, he looked good.

I think I like the big play potential from my current Stafford/Luck combination than say a Dalton/Rothlesburger combo but even that really isn't too bad when thinking about it, I could have lived with it.

Boldin and MJD are both solid picks. MJD has some ?s, but love the potential. Great value 80 picks into the draft.

Considered both Boldin and MJD at 5.15 but preferred the upside of Ball/Randle. Those two picks could make or break my squad.

barely missing on CJ?k and Floyd hurt. I almost took those two at the 3/4 turn. Completely whiffed on Colston - drafting on phone from work so didn't do a thorough look of who was gone. I probably would have taken him instead of Randle.

Aaron Rodgers GB

Frank Gore RB SF

Montee Ball RB DEN

Torrey Smith WR BAL

Rueben Randle WR NYG

Rob Gronkowski TE NEP

Need to hit on some mid-late RB and WR picks but not too sad about this teams survivability so far.

1.12 Le'Veon Bell, RB

2.05 Julio Jones, WR

3.12 Michael Crabtree, WR

4.05 Knowshon Moreno, RB
5.12 Michael Floyd, WR 6.05 Andy Dalton, QB

Was targeting Cutler at QB, but would've taken Floyd over him anyhow. Really like Floyd at that price. Dalton is a fine plan C.

Ill take him as a RB2 in round 5 I nthis format, I would love to see him play with a legit QB, if the Titans cut him I think hes a FA for about 5 minutes
Hope this doesnt hurt his market value.

Chris Johnson reportedly suffered a meniscus tear in Week 3 and will have surgery to repair it Tuesday.

In a credit to his underrated toughness, Johnson didn't miss a game for the fifth straight season and wasn't even on the injury report until December. However, we wouldn't use this injury as a complete excuse for his meager 1,077 rushing yards on 3.86 YPC. Even with a vastly improved offensive line, the artist formerly known as CJ2K ran similarly to the way he did in 2011 and 2012, when he combined to average 4.25 YPC and average 1145.5 rushing yards per season. Johnson's meniscus repair comes with a 4-6 week timetable, meaning he'll be nearly healthy by the time the Titans release him and he hits the open market in March. He'll be disappointed by the offers he receives as a 28-year-old back with 2,014 career touches on his resume

some picks I really liked last couple of rounds

Cordarrelle Patterson

Monte Ball ( almost took him instead of CJ1k, I think he starts in Denver next year)

RG3 at QB16 is good value, no way he sucks as bad as he did last year

Cordarrelle Patterson

Monte Ball ( almost took him instead of CJ1k, I think he starts in Denver next year)

RG3 at QB16 is good value, no way he sucks as bad as he did last year
The sky's the limit with a real QB for CP. Cassel, Ponder or Freeman? The fact he became relevant with those scrubs are good enough reason to love his potential.

barely missing on CJ?k and Floyd hurt. I almost took those two at the 3/4 turn. Completely whiffed on Colston - drafting on phone from work so didn't do a thorough look of who was gone. I probably would have taken him instead of Randle.

Aaron Rodgers GB

Frank Gore RB SF

Montee Ball RB DEN

Torrey Smith WR BAL

Rueben Randle WR NYG

Rob Gronkowski TE NEP
YMMV of course, but to me this looks exactly like the kind of core Survivor squad that's built to win it all: near-guaranteed high production at the start-1 positions (QB/TE) plus high-ceiling guys at RB/WR. If I had to guess I'll say that while Colston is 70/30 to outscore Randle in '14, Randle will have more weeks counting as a starter on your team than MC would have, so I wouldn't feel too bad about that choice.

Cordarrelle Patterson
Patterson's a special talent and I think he could put up a monster 2014. His last 6 games in '13 he averaged 17ppg which is Andre / Jeffery / Decker territory.

His QB situation (specifically the possibility that the Vikes reach for a not-NFL-ready guy at #8, a la the Fins with Tannehill) is the only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on him at 5.04. I'll probably be kicking myself all season for that.

Two concerns with CP,

1 - QB - obviously

2 - Norv Turner- the guy doesnt change his offense to fit his personal, He normally likes Big deep threat WR types - VJax, CP right now isnt a deep bomber type of WR, hes a line of scrimmage take it to the house type, not that he cant develop into that.

Users who are viewing this thread