What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WSL1 discussion (2 Viewers)

I was happy to get the #2 after getting the last half in all mock drafts last year.

Knew I was either going McCoy or Charles.

Calvin at #3 makes sense but imo it's somewhat risky. Not so much him, although it will be interesting to see if the new staff leans on him as much, just curious to see how the backs work out for Bronco

I'm happy with #6 slot. Was considering Graham and I believe that he is one of the surest #1s for any position but RBs with huge roles are few and far between and glad to get Forte who is perfect for his coach's system.

Going with the same formula I have used in the SSLs, but not sure whether I will have the same advantage as in both 2012 and 2013 when I won my SSLs, I had Calvin as my 1st rounder. Since he was not on the board and with Lacy gone right before me, I went with who I thought was the safest of the elite WRs in AJ Green.

1.12 Peyton Manning QB DEN

with no qb's off the board in this draft I didn't see anything that dazzled me elsewhere....in this format Manning outscored every player not named Brees by at least 10 points a week....and he had Brees by 5 a week....while a repeat performance should not be expected and there should be some regression....couldn't pass up getting a jump on the rest of the field here....not buying the retirement talk one bit....dude gets rid of the ball quickly, very rarley gets touched, and even if Decker leaves he still has the Thomas boys and Welker....Decker is easily replaceable, but in my mind crazy if he leaves....DEN could make him a nice offer and Decker should take a hard look before thinking the grass is really greener somewhere else....the only greener may be $$$...schedule is tougher next year so that kind of sucks...but he will still chuck it a bunch....and a tougher schedule may mean less worry of him sitting out games late in the season...outscored Brees by almost a hundy and next closest by over 160....not sure with our lineup configuration in this best ball survivor format if this passes the VBD test but I'll take the massive points and adjust later.....some of the other elite QB's may go pretty quick so whether I take Manning now or another QB later isn't that big of a deal......Manning not surviving the turn so taking him here pretty easy....20 rounds instead of 18 in this bad boy allows for an extra WR and/or RB if need be and I have also put myself in pretty decent position to fly solo at QB if I feel the need....

Last edited by a moderator:
Manning shouldn't have fallen to 12, so you were wise to scoop him there. There is a touch of risk of retirement (but only a touch) and his March neck exam will have you on pins and needles for a couple months. The other slight risk is the game he still has yet to play, the Super Bowl. It's highly, highly doubtful he'll suffer a catastrophic injury in the game, though.

He wouldn't have fallen past 15, that's for damn sure.

Sorry all... I had checked yesterday at some point and saw I had a few more picks before it was my turn, and for some reason didn't check again until now. Sorry for the delay, but picks are in and

we're back to moving along...

Is Sinrman's draft order listed properly? He should be picking at 1.16 and 2.01, correct? It is that way in WSL2, but I think Sinr is officially slated for the 2.05 or 6 pick.

It may be confusing to whoever is up next.

Is Sinrman's draft order listed properly? He should be picking at 1.16 and 2.01, correct? It is that way in WSL2, but I think Sinr is officially slated for the 2.05 or 6 pick.

It may be confusing to whoever is up next.
It wasn't changed after he dropped to 16.

Just reverse round 1

Like last year, felt like Brees was a good, safe first round pick. Was deciding between him and Le'Veon Bell, so with Bell coming back in the second as (I think) the last of the RB's who scored well this year and shouldn't see a major change in role before next year, I like the first two picks.

Like last year, felt like Brees was a good, safe first round pick. Was deciding between him and Le'Veon Bell, so with Bell coming back in the second as (I think) the last of the RB's who scored well this year and shouldn't see a major change in role before next year, I like the first two picks.
It's always nice when your second target makes it around the turn. I didn't have a strong preference of Bush over Bell, although thinking about it now, Bell is probably the safer pick. Well done.

Yeah. That was the SL Classic "Suck It" for me.... I waited 5 hours to make my Bell pick to see him gone and a clear drop off in my rankings.... But, now is the time and this is when I start to define my rankings - I have questions about the next few WR"s and RB's ppl are going to take now we can discuss later so, I ripped up my work sheet and took Rodgers, I go from excited to meh about the draft already - Plan for me was to take advantage of IMO a deeper QB group than recent years and wait it out.

Man, I wanted Bell.....

So far (1/4 of the way into round 2) you're having the best draft.

No offense to the others of course.

Ughh...really wanted Julio (as did the three people in front of me). Grabbed Gio because I saw there was a bit of a RB run and was not sure what would be left for me at 3.09...now I have some flexibility.

Am a little anxious about having two Bengals as my top picks (especially in a Survivor league).

Ughh...really wanted Julio (as did the three people in front of me). Grabbed Gio because I saw there was a bit of a RB run and was not sure what would be left for me at 3.09...now I have some flexibility.

Am a little anxious about having two Bengals as my top picks (especially in a Survivor league).
I'm holding off on Julio till he's 100%.... Also not sold on Doug Martin in an early draft given he wasn't lighting it up before the inj and a new System... Liked the Gio pick... But, again I weep for Leveon.

I'd agree that Julio dropped a bit too far imo. My picks have been at more of the extreme ends, with the steady eddy of Lynch (assuming no disciplinary action) and the huge risk/reward of Gronk.

Not really liking the no WR after 2 in this format, but probably will be hitting that hard the next few rounds.

2.05 Julio Jones WR ATL

We know he can score TD's but even when he doesn't he is still usually heavily involved. Some risk here with the injury stuff, but he should be healthy and if so should be a top 5 WR. He was easily there pre injury. Gotta start 3 so while I sniffed Martin here I just couldn't pass up the freakish talent.

Now that Brees and Rodgers are off the board a little more on the Manning pick.

Considered Brees instead, but the weapons Manning has and Denver's ability and willingness to take advantage of the rules regarding pick plays won out in the end. Not a huge fan right now of the WR situation for the Saints. I know Stills looks promising, and whatever, but with or without Decker, Manning will be loaded again. Colston seems to be slowing down and IMO , I think they could use a major upgrade/overhaul at WR. The retirement talk means little to me, as I see Manning kind of in that mode of what Brady said about playing on into 40. Peyton has little to prove at this point whether they win or not against SEA. But it doesn't really matter to him I don't think. I think he loves the game and the challenge of going out there and shredding defenses. And leading a team. Sitting on the sofa will drive him nuts, he loves game day, and he likes the mindset of the DEN front office. Rodgers has a nice group of WR's, but in the end it was about points with my first pick and Manning continues to be option A in and out of the red zone. Unless the NFL makes some serious changes regarding pick plays, rub plays, whatever you want to call them, and the true "intent" of what is happening on those plays, Manning will continue to find open receivers and rack up fantasy points. Also factored in the "safer" pick in the first round theory here a little considering QB position takes less damaging (concussion, etc) type hits.

Got sniped on both Orange Julius and Spiller.

Vowed last year to never draft Matthews again, that lasted a year. Hope this year was not an anomaly.

I went to bed ready to take J Thomas and Cobb. :topcat:

Went with 2 WR to leave all options open for the next turn.

Charles

Spiller

Cobb

Had no intention of drafting spiller, but he just fell too far. At least my backs should be a strength.

Graham - Saints can't afford to let him go given their other options.

Jeffrey - Torn between him and Cobb. Went Jeffrey because of the amazing catches he made and do well with two different QBs.

Vereen - top 10 back in this format. Brady trusts him.

I like this start and the fact that I can go several directions from here.

FUBAR said:
Charles

Spiller

Cobb

Had no intention of drafting spiller, but he just fell too far. At least my backs should be a strength.
Really nice start. It would be hard for you to fubar things from here. Spiller is an excellent RB2 but I couldn't risk him at RB1. In this format Cobb belongs with the top 5 WRs if you can get some depth. Basically his good games will be with the big boys and good depth can upgrade his off games to match the big boys off games. Kind of regret Jeffrey over him now.

bro1ncos said:

Vowed last year to never draft Matthews again, that lasted a year. Hope this year was not an anomaly.
re Matthews - Not a fan of that pick with Woodhead around.

bro1ncos said:

Really?

Was a top 10 running back in this format the second half of last season!

+

And comes off the board as the 17 RB?

=

V A L U E

bro1ncos said:

Really?

+

=

V A L U E
I agree...plus Woodhead's role diminished some as the year went on.

Might not be able to update the Pick thread till Sunday evening... I'll try tho.....

My picks shouldn't be a problem.... I'll be out most of the day Saturday but, I'll shoot a list for these round 3/4 picks if need be / before I'm out extended hours.

bro1ncos said:

Really?

+

=

V A L U E
I agree...plus Woodhead's role diminished some as the year went on.
I agree with BnB, but I think it's because we still see the years of injuries and only one healthy year. We have seen what he can do healthy, but can he do it again and be consistent? 2014 will be

very interesting to watch where he is drafted, how much of a value he winds up being, and of course if he can stay healthy again. He has the tools. He finally displayed what the Chargers were

hoping for when they drafted him in the 1st round.

But I'm not one who's willing to take the risk. Unless he's just sitting there and I desperately need a RB... :D

bro1ncos said:

Really?

+

=

V A L U E
I'll take 3.5 years prior over the 1/2 year.

Not saying it was a bad pick, just several other picks available that I thought were much better.

Everyone else on board with vereen in top 10? Don't trust pats enough to gamble that early.
I don't know about top 10, but I do know that I'll get some recpts each week and some big weeks mixed in. I do know that he had 15, 17, 19, 34 pts when Gronk was in the lineup with him.

FUBAR said:
Charles

Spiller

Cobb

Really nice start. It would be hard for you to fubar things from here. Spiller is an excellent RB2 but I couldn't risk him at RB1. In this format Cobb belongs with the top 5 WRs if you can get some depth. Basically his good games will be with the big boys and good depth can upgrade his off games to match the big boys off games. Kind of regret Jeffrey over him now.
I would have taken Jeffrey had he been available.

Curious to see how things would have panned out if I had taken Cameron instead as I came close to doing.

RB - Gio Bernard

WR - AJ Green

WR - Victor Cruz

So far, so good. I don't "love" the Gio pick as I really believe in being conservative in these types of drafts except for one area...where I tend to get a bit reckless. I also am not a fan of having two players with my top two picks belonging to the same team...oh well. It is a "Survivor" league, not a "Winner" league, so status quo for Sweet Love...

Happy with Witten in 3rd round - once again last of a tier. Had to go WR in the 4th, now just need Pats to resign Edelman, and all will be OK...

Martin at RB1 is a bit of a gamble, but one that I think makes sense in a WSL. Absolutely astonished by my WR start though: Josh Gordon, Keenan Allen, and Torrey Smith. I'm just a little concerned that I'll be slightly handcuffed over the next 4 rounds or so (or will I? ;) )

2.05 Julio Jones WR ATL

3.12 Jordan Cameron TE CLE

Top 3 TE in this format last year with somewhat questionable QB play. Finished with 80 catches so that could increase. Happy to land him in late 3rd. Really thought TE's would draw more attention in this format, and thought passing on one in the first two rounds would be a gamble and I wouldn't have much to chose from in the late third....but I was wrong. At 2PPR a TE can carry you on any given week.

4.05 Knowshon Moreno RB DEN

If things remain status quo in DEN....this is SOD.

2.05 Julio Jones WR ATL

Top 3 TE in this format last year with somewhat questionable QB play. Finished with 80 catches so that could increase. Happy to land him in late 3rd. Really thought TE's would draw more attention in this format, and thought passing on one in the first two rounds would be a gamble and I wouldn't have much to chose from in the late third....but I was wrong. At 2PPR a TE can carry you on any given week.

I like your team a lot thus far...I was hoping Moreno would have dropped to me, but it was not in the cards...

2.05 Julio Jones WR ATL

I like your team a lot thus far...I was hoping Moreno would have dropped to me, but it was not in the cards...
Not sure what the deal is with 19 RB's coming off the board before him...he finished as RB4 last year with almost 1600 total yards and 13 TD's on 60 receptions....I guess those numbers aren't good enough and fantasy drafters think he will just "be replaced"....?.....granted Ball could see an increase in workload but is he really going to totally replace a guy that put up that kind of production...?....Moreno is only 26, I think the Donkeys bring him back and we have seen that there are fantasy points to be had in that backfield even with a split of some sort....those blindly anointing Ball the starter and bell cow may be disappointed....I have yet to see any indication of the passing of the torch and Moreno's play and production certainly doesn't call for a change....Moreno was the perfect play this year playing as a guy who felt he needed to prove something since even as late as preseason there was some question as to whether he would even be on a team or not....he played with attitude and a little chip on his shoulder and certainly took advantage of the opportunity.....I think DEN likes that work ethic and attitude he started playing with....Moreno isn't taking anything for granted thats for sure...Manning trusts him in protection which also a huge factor....guess I don't even really want to know why others pass on him, because at this price he will be on a ton of my fantasy teams in here.....he put up at least 2nd round (if not 1st round) type production and he is falling to the 4th....?.....RB4 gets drafted as RB20 because we think Ball will all of a sudden be "the man"....we have no indications of that.....I'll take my chances

QB: Tom Brady

RB: Jamal Charles

RB: CJ Spiller

WR: Randall Cobb

TE: Jordan Reed

Pretty happy with this team so far, although I expected a QB run earlier than it happened. At 4.15 I had 2 QB targets (and a 3rd I would have been happy with) and Reed was the last of the tier IMO. So that choice was fairly easy although I did consider Wallace.

With Brady, I think last year was his floor. His receivers either got accused of murder, went to Denver, or were out most of the year. Yet the guy wins. I came very close to taking a different QB here, but I'll take the relative safety of Brady. We'll see if it pans out, but I do like having at least a few safe picks in these drafts.

Moreno is definitely an oddity for 2014 projections. My gut instinct is to shy away from him for some odd reason but looking at it logically that is a ridiculous conclusion. He should be the cream of the 4th round crop.

QB: Tom Brady

RB: Jamal Charles

RB: CJ Spiller

WR: Randall Cobb

TE: Jordan Reed

Pretty happy with this team so far, although I expected a QB run earlier than it happened. At 4.15 I had 2 QB targets (and a 3rd I would have been happy with) and Reed was the last of the tier IMO. So that choice was fairly easy although I did consider Wallace.

With Brady, I think last year was his floor. His receivers either got accused of murder, went to Denver, or were out most of the year. Yet the guy wins. I came very close to taking a different QB here, but I'll take the relative safety of Brady. We'll see if it pans out, but I do like having at least a few safe picks in these drafts.
Reed was a slam dunk pick for you there. I would have taken him at 5.5 if still there even with Graham on board. He should have gone in the 3rd round. I pretty much have your team as the favorite to win this league.

QB - Luck, Foles

RB - Vereen

WR - Jeffrey

TE - Graham

I think I was the first to get two QBs. Not something I had planned on doing but QBs slipped so far. I wouldn't have selected Newton as QB4 and was happy to have my choice of Foles/Stafford/Luck. I actaully had them ranked in that order, but felt Luck was the safest pick and his schedule is beyond cake. He had his regression this year and still had decent numbers, next year he probably takes a step forward. When it came to 5.5 I was surprised to see Foles still there. I had planned to go QB in the 6th or 7th as I like having two decent options in WSL version of these leagues when so many mid round picks can flame out and the QB situations are unsettled with several franchises. I think it's likely I get similiar talent at RB/WR with my next pick as I would have gotten here.

Between Foles and Luck I draw NYG/DAL/WAS 9 times.

BassNBrew said:
QB - Luck, Foles

RB - Vereen

WR - Jeffrey

TE - Graham

I think I was the first to get two QBs. Not something I had planned on doing but QBs slipped so far. I wouldn't have selected Newton as QB4 and was happy to have my choice of Foles/Stafford/Luck. I actaully had them ranked in that order, but felt Luck was the safest pick and his schedule is beyond cake. He had his regression this year and still had decent numbers, next year he probably takes a step forward. When it came to 5.5 I was surprised to see Foles still there. I had planned to go QB in the 6th or 7th as I like having two decent options in WSL version of these leagues when so many mid round picks can flame out and the QB situations are unsettled with several franchises. I think it's likely I get similiar talent at RB/WR with my next pick as I would have gotten here.

Glad you're not drafting right next to me as we see things too similar. Foles was the guy I almost took over Brady, but like you with Luck, I went with the QB I feel absolutely comfortable with. It allows me to go riskier elsewhere as we proceed. With Foles, I think he could be awesome again but I'm curious to see if the loss Lazor affects him at all. Musgrave is a good replacement, but more than others, that move is a small concern with the QB having less than a season under his belt.

He's a great QB2 though, and your combo will compete with Peyton/Rodgers/Brees for the best QB position.

I disagree on Cam though, he would have been my #4

BassNBrew said:
QB - Luck, Foles

RB - Vereen

WR - Jeffrey

TE - Graham

Glad you're not drafting right next to me as we see things too similar. Foles was the guy I almost took over Brady, but like you with Luck, I went with the QB I feel absolutely comfortable with. It allows me to go riskier elsewhere as we proceed. With Foles, I think he could be awesome again but I'm curious to see if the loss Lazor affects him at all. Musgrave is a good replacement, but more than others, that move is a small concern with the QB having less than a season under his belt.

He's a great QB2 though, and your combo will compete with Peyton/Rodgers/Brees for the best QB position.

I disagree on Cam though, he would have been my #4
Carolina doesn't have the WR options to justify Cam at QB4. I really think his ceiling is limited. The red zone offense fell apart as the season progressed. I'm also not a believer in Shula and the defense also limits the upside of the offense.

Users who are viewing this thread