What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sporting News NFL mock draft (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
From two days ago.

--------------------------

2014 NFL Mock Draft: With Bridgewater, Matthews, big talent fills big needs

Published 2 days and 22 minutes ago

Eric Galko, Optimum ScoutingSporting News

1. Houston Texans -

Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

2. St. Louis Rams (via Washington Redskins) -

Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

3. Jacksonville Jaguars -

Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

4. Cleveland Browns

Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

5. Oakland Raiders

Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo

6. Atlanta Falcons

Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

7. Tampa Bay Bucs

Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

8. Minnesota Vikings

Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

9. Buffalo Bills

Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

10, Detroit Lions

Marqise Lee, WR, USC

11. Tennessee Titans -

Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri

12. New York Giants

CJ Mosley, LB, Alabama

13. St. Louis Rams

Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama

14, Chicago Bears

Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

15. Pittsburgh Steelers -

Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

16. Baltimore Ravens

Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State

17. Dallas Cowboys

Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU

18. New York Jets

Odell Beckham Jr, WR, LSU

19. Miami Dolphins

Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama

20. Arizona Cardinals

Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

21. Green Bay Packers

Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech

22, Philadelphia Eagles

Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

23. Kansas City Chiefs

Calvin Pryor, SAF, Louisville

24. Cincinnati Bengals -

Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State

25. San Diego Chargers -

Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU

26. Cleveland Browns (via Indianapolis Colts) –

Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

27. New Orleans Saints

Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech

28. Carolina Panthers

Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

29. San Francisco 49ers -

Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

30. New England Patriots -

Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame

31. Seattle Seahawks

Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame

32. Denver Broncos -

Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

Green Bay Packers, Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

The Packers could look to replace tight end Jermichael Finley with Texas Tech's Jace Amaro. It's more likely they'll help the secondary, given the Bears' size at receiver and the Lions likely looking to add another big wideout. Gilbert has the physicality to play against big bodies

so, actually they are projecting Gilbert, imho makes more sense

Green Bay Packers, Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

The Packers could look to replace tight end Jermichael Finley with Texas Tech's Jace Amaro. It's more likely they'll help the secondary, given the Bears' size at receiver and the Lions likely looking to add another big wideout. Gilbert has the physicality to play against big bodies

so, actually they are projecting Gilbert, imho makes more sense
They are projecting Gilbert to the Pack?

Those dope smoking hippies. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Manziel aint dropping that far
Probably not as he'll likely have a good combine. But if the teams on top prefer bortles and Bridgewater, he could fall to Arizona, KC (seems unlikely but don't rule it out), or Cleveland at 26.

If he disappoints at the combine or interviews, he could free fall.

A tight end to the Cardinals? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense given how much Arians' offenses have utilized that position over the years.

a fraking te for the packers? Dope smoking hippies
Ive seen several mocks with TEs and it makes no sense whatsoever that Ted Thompson would take a TE in round 1.
I completely agree. They need defense, defense and more defense. And hopefully Thompson doesn't draft another guy that's too small to play Dline or too big to play LB. Yes I'm talking about Perry and Jones. Maybe Jones will pan out but the early returns aren't good.

Gotta agree with the takes on the Pack taking a TE since Finley's injury places his status up in the air.

Arizona may not be in the TE market but Ebron is being projected as a top-ten pick in many mocks so if he falls to the 21st pick he might be the BPA.

Manziel was thought to be a 2nd rounder a few months ago. Lots of flash but also lots of red flags. I can see him falling, possibly out of the first round.

Add last year the Browns draft plan was soo secret that no-one had a clue. This year? A lot of free-flowing information of Cleveland wanting Manziel. How many teams go from running a KGB type gulag to divulging draft plans?

Bracie Smathers said:
Gotta agree with the takes on the Pack taking a TE since Finley's injury places his status up in the air.

Arizona may not be in the TE market but Ebron is being projected as a top-ten pick in many mocks so if he falls to the 21st pick he might be the BPA.

Manziel was thought to be a 2nd rounder a few months ago. Lots of flash but also lots of red flags. I can see him falling, possibly out of the first round.

Add last year the Browns draft plan was soo secret that no-one had a clue. This year? A lot of free-flowing information of Cleveland wanting Manziel. How many teams go from running a KGB type gulag to divulging draft plans?
Sig bet time. There is no way the pack are taking a te. period. End of story

The packers top four d Lin are all free agents

They must have a decent olb on Mathews opposite side to make capers system work

There safeties are bottom of the barrel

There is no way in h e double toothpicks the pack take a te unless Teddy gets at least two top flite def players

Bracie Smathers said:

Sig bet time.There is no way the pack are taking a te. period. End of story

The packers top four d Lin are all free agents

They must have a decent olb on Mathews opposite side to make capers system work

There safeties are bottom of the barrel

There is no way in h e double toothpicks the pack take a te unless Teddy gets at least two top flite def players
Wouldn't be surprised at all if TT takes a TE. Thompson is a best player available guy. There is also a need there. Finley likely gone. Quarless a FA. Bostick and whoever else they have there? Meh. James Jones a FA. Wouldn't be surprised at all.

Stopped reading with clowney #1. Texans do not pass on decent qbs for a lazy over hyped de. Just my opinion. Saved a lot of tome not reading the rest of this crap.

Its early but I like to see early mocks to see patterns of top names and to get a feel for what positions teams might be leaning so here is my early mock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Houston (2-14)

Teddy Bridgewater QB, Louisville, Jr.

2) *TRADE* Atlanta (4-12) from St. Louis (7-9) from Washington (3-13)

Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina, Jr.

3) Jacksonville (4-12) —

Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo, Sr.

4) Cleveland (4-12) —

Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn, So.

5) Oakland (4-12) —

Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson, Jr.

6) *TRADE* St. Louis (7-9) from Atlanta (4-12)

Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M, Sr.

7) Tampa Bay (4-12) —

Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA, Sr.

8) Minnesota (5-10-1) —

Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida, So

9) Buffalo (6-10) —

C.J. Mosley, OLB, Alabama, Sr.

10) Detroit (7-9) —

Darqueze Dennard,. CB, Michigan St., Sr.

11) Tennessee (7-9) —

Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M, So.

12) N.Y. Giants (7-9) —

Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan, Sr.

13) St. Louis (7-9) —

Marqise Lee, WR, USC, Jr

14) Chicago (8-8) —

Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame, Jr.

15) Pittsburgh (8-8) —

Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame, Jr.

^Note:

Baltimore and Dallas will flip a coin at the NFL Combine to determine who gets picks 16 and 17. Baltimore is at No. 16 here because the two teams are in alphabetical order.

^16) Baltimore (8-8) ---

Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida St., So.

^17) Dallas (8-8) —

Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri, Jr.

18) N.Y. Jets (8-8) —

Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama, Jr.

19) Miami (8-8) —

Zack Martin,. OG, Notre Dame, Sr.

20) Arizona (10-6) —

Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M, So.

21) Green Bay (8-7-1) —

Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota, Sr.

22) Philadelphia (10-6) —

HaHa Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama, Jr.

23) Kansas City (11-5) —

Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina, Jr.

24) Cincinnati (11-5) —

Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State

25) Chargers (9-7) —

Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma St., Sr

26) Cleveland (4-12) from Indianapolis (11-5)

Derek Carr, QB, Fresno St., Sr.

27) New Orleans (11-5) —

Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU

28) Carolina (12-4) —

Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville, Jr.

29) New England (12-4) —

Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech, Jr.

30) San Francisco (12-4) —

Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU, Jr.

31) Denver (13-3) —

Jason Verrett, CB, TCU, Sr.

32) Seattle (13-3) —

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington, Jr.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys who just missed the first round:

- Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State

- Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

- Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee, Jr.

The two picks I think don't look likely would be Kahil Mack to the Jags and Manziel to the Cards. Not that I don't think Kahil Mack isn't good but is he Von Miller good?

Arians has coached Rothlisberger, Luck and Palmer. Would he move away from the success he has with prototypical QBs to go with Manziel?

The two picks I think don't look likely would be Kahil Mack to the Jags and Manziel to the Cards. Not that I don't think Kahil Mack isn't good but is he Von Miller good?

Arians has coached Rothlisberger, Luck and Palmer. Would he move away from the success he has with prototypical QBs to go with Manziel?
I have always liked Khahil Mack over Anthony Barr. No. He's not Von Miller but he reminds me of a Willie McGhinnest and that is pretty darn good. I think he's good enough for the Jags to bypass QB Blake Bortles. The Jags really need pass rushers and if they have no shot at Clowney then Mack is a good consolation prize IMHO.

Johnny Manziel is a guy who will either go really high or plummet and admittedly I am fence-sitting. I simply can't assume he'll go high and I can't see him completely dropping out of the first round.

Arians coached Roethlisburger but he didn't draft him.

The decision to cut Peyton Manning and go with Andrew Luck also didn't fall on his shoulders. He didn't take over as the interim HC until later in that season.

Also Palmer was already in-place in Arizona when he was hired so obviously he didn't get to choose him.

I'm sure Bruce loved(s) working with the above guys so its reasonable to say he favors a big strong armed pocket passing QB. And I'm sure Cardinal fans will chime-in saying the exact same thing but if a guy like Johnny Football falls into Arians lap I could see where he could go there. I'm sure Bruce can coach a mobile QB and I think Manziel's best chance to succeed is with a warm weather or dome team. I think he could be successful in Arizona and that Bruce Arians can coach a QB who isn't a prototypical pocket passer. But I did cringe a bit when I put Manziel with Arians so I think you make a valid point.

I doubt that Carolina picks anything other than a wr or corner in the first. I would say it's an 80% wr 20% corner. Nothing else

I have always liked Khahil Mack over Anthony Barr. No. He's not Von Miller but he reminds me of a Willie McGhinnest and that is pretty darn good. I think he's good enough for the Jags to bypass QB Blake Bortles. The Jags really need pass rushers and if they have no shot at Clowney then Mack is a good consolation prize IMHO.Johnny Manziel is a guy who will either go really high or plummet and admittedly I am fence-sitting. I simply can't assume he'll go high and I can't see him completely dropping out of the first round.

Arians coached Roethlisburger but he didn't draft him.

The decision to cut Peyton Manning and go with Andrew Luck also didn't fall on his shoulders. He didn't take over as the interim HC until later in that season.

Also Palmer was already in-place in Arizona when he was hired so obviously he didn't get to choose him.

I'm sure Bruce loved(s) working with the above guys so its reasonable to say he favors a big strong armed pocket passing QB. And I'm sure Cardinal fans will chime-in saying the exact same thing but if a guy like Johnny Football falls into Arians lap I could see where he could go there. I'm sure Bruce can coach a mobile QB and I think Manziel's best chance to succeed is with a warm weather or dome team. I think he could be successful in Arizona and that Bruce Arians can coach a QB who isn't a prototypical pocket passer. But I did cringe a bit when I put Manziel with Arians so I think you make a valid point.
Some good points Bracie but I think your timeline is wrong on the Carson Palmer trade.

Donnybrook said:
Some good points Bracie but I think your timeline is wrong on the Carson Palmer trade.
You're right Donny.

Palmer got traded two-times so I got the Cincinnati/Raider trade time line mixed-up with last year's Raider/Arizona trade. :doh:

I would imagine that Bruce Arians was the architect of that trade.

In the end. Manziel is a guy that I found difficult to place.

Donnybrook said:
You're right Donny.Palmer got traded two-times so I got the Cincinnati/Raider trade time line mixed-up with last year's Raider/Arizona trade. :doh:

I would imagine that Bruce Arians was the architect of that trade.

In the end. Manziel is a guy that I found difficult to place.
I agree with this.In my mock, I had falling to Cleveland's second pick. I don't know if he is Clevelands cup of tea but it would be exciting to watch him if he ends up there. Cleveland, like Texas A&M, has a good O-line and a big play making receiver he can chuck it to.

So two mocks with the Saints getting an OLB.

The Saints have Butler and Galette already.

Also they never ever ever draft a LB in the 1st round.

In my mock, I had falling to Cleveland's second pick. I don't know if he is Clevelands cup of tea but it would be exciting to watch him if he ends up there. Cleveland, like Texas A&M, has a good O-line and a big play making receiver he can chuck it to.
People say he will be taken higher than his value. It is possible but if he gets taken higher than his value but for a team to make that gamble it would have to be a place with a combination of a few things. Need, situation where he'd fit the coaches and personnel, and I really think his best shot to be a successful NFL QB is if he lands with a dome team or one that plays in warm weather.

All of the leaks of Cleveland not only wanting Manziel but willing to pay any price to move-up for him seems highly suspicious IMHO.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-7757.html

... A month or two ago, it appeared that as many as four quarterbacks might be taken among the top 10 picks in the May draft, which would be a first. Unless Derek Carr of Fresno State has great workouts, that probably is no longer the case. As for the position, look for Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M to be “overdrafted,” selected higher than his overall ranking, by someone like Cleveland. . .
Manziel is exciting and could be successful but I believe his best shot to be a star is with a dome or warm weather team. Cleveland doesn't play in a dome or in warm weather.

The playmaking ability ability will make some fans want him no matter what but it seems anyone who has followed the NFL for a long time know his best shot is with a dome or warm weather team

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=18&post_id=27991

Hey Tony: As far as I am concerned Johnny Manziel will be done as fast as RG3. You do not pick fads in the top five of the draft. I remember hearing Ernie Accorsi say, “If you get a chance to pick in the top five of the entire draft, you need to pick a franchise player that you can plug into a position and produce for 7-10 years.” Do you like Manziel picked in the top five picks? How about Blake Bortles of UCF?

-- John, Tampa, FL

Hey John: Of course, this debate will rage until May 8. My early feeling is to lean with you. I think Manziel has a better chance of succeeding in a warm weather or dome environment. I have concern that Manziel’s lithe body will not hold up to the rigors of the defenses prevalent in the AFC North. I also don’t like the schoolyard style of his play. I cringe when a QB turns his back to the defense to escape rushers and tries to make a play running hither-and-yon across the field.

Users who are viewing this thread