captain_amazing

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread

3,933 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Michael Floyd will be cut before the start of the season. He's too dumb.

Floyd is a free agent so he can't be cut. But I think NE will consider bringing him back. Believe it or not, I think BB is still learning ways to do things as a head coach and the guys that flopped at receiver were likey given more than they could handle. 

I think Floyd could have some utility if they gave him a package of plays where he would come in as an extra receiver. He would only need to know 30-40 plays and have his routes pre-set or maybe with only one hot read to consider per play  

I think that strategy would work, as I agree Floyd would likely struggle to learn 1,000 plays with a 1,000 variations. 

Add in that he would be willing to play for peanuts because he will be considered toxic by most teams, and I think NE will give consideration to bringing Floyd back. 

If the Pats move Jimmy before the draft, anyone think they are gonna take a shot on another guy in this class?

9 minutes ago, Run It Up said:

If the Pats move Jimmy before the draft, anyone think they are gonna take a shot on another guy in this class?

At QB? Maybe someone in the middle rounds or later. I don't think there is anyone that stands out as an early round guy. So maybe someone McDaniels thinks would make a good pet project.

With all the teams that are in need of a QB .... Belichick can probably find a stud QB somewhere around pick 199 or so. I wouldn't wait much later than that.

2 people like this

Wasnt thinking 1st, but they took Jimmy at the end of the 2nd.

Just think teams in general are low on this qb class opening the door for implied value.

I doubt they take a QB unless it's someone pretty late that they can just leave on the practice squad. Anyone that is higher profile they would have to leave on the 53-man roster, and BB won't want to carry a guy that will be inactive pretty much every week. If they had enough confidence in Brissett with TB out and JG hurt to not even bring in an emergency JAG at QB, I am guessing they would be confident again if Brissett had to fill in.

The other thing to consider is that there are a lot of moving parts. This is a very complicated case. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. Who knows which guys will be back and what holes they will have to fill. Having a third QB probably is of lesser importance then say finding defensive starters if guys relocate elsewhere.

Supposedly the Patriots really like Brissett. If that is true (he didn’t show me much in the time he played, but what do I know) I doubt they use a pick on a qb this year assuming they move Jimmy G

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Saboo said:

Supposedly the Patriots really like Brissett. If that is true (he didn’t show me much in the time he played, but what do I know) I doubt they use a pick on a qb this year assuming they move Jimmy G

If they move Jimmy G I would not be surprised if they use a pick (or dig up an undrafted FA) on a QB...would probably be a later pick and someone they could potentially put on the practice squad as Anarchy pointed out...while I am in the camp that Brady has a decent amount left he is 39 so they need to have a few options at that position...

Edited by Boston

10 hours ago, Saboo said:

He tore that ligament in his thumb on his throwing hand at some point in the Houston game.  So if you ignore the Bills game and the last quarter or so in the Houston game it's a pretty limited sample.  I think he proved his toughness going out and playing with that injury.  Especially compared to Jimmy G who was supposed to be out there in the Bills game and probably had a lesser injury than Brissett at that point.  I think Brissett will be the next QB of New England after Brady leaves.  But that's partly colored by the fact that smart football guys like Parcells and Belichick seem to love the guy.

1 hour ago, Run It Up said:

They really liked Jimmy when they took Jacoby.

TB12 had the specter of Deflategate as an albatross hanging around his neck. I am guessing that was a factor in drafting Brissett (although they could have taken him anyway for all that I know).

I don't have a source, but i remember reading that when Jimmy and Jacoby were both taken, it was because they were expecting Brady to start withering.

Since then, I had also heard that the internal tests they use to evaluate player decline had Brady actually improving, so maybe they wont.