What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (4 Viewers)

This year backs my accusation that without an all star line, Brady is an average QB. He gets off his mark and gets rattled easily. Phillip Rivers plays with this pressure in his face every game and he plays through it.

What an ugly win.

Edelman and Gronk looked great. Ridley looked pedestrian most of the time but had some decent runs, how much of this is the oline's fault I can't tell. Vereen looked great in the pass game, pretty mediocre on the ground. Thompkins had one catch that I saw, was a great route and catch. Lafell looked like complete garbage, responsible for yet another huge penalty. Revis was getting thrown at all day, with a lot of success - very disappointing considering how well he played against the Vikings last week. The Oline allowed a TON of pressure.

Everyone needs to do their job, and everyone needs to improve. Very ugly.
They didn't do it - they may have even regressed.

if it takes the Pats getting absolutely buttdevestated on MNF for the organization to make any actual changes, I'm okay with it.

Also from roto:

Even as one of the three receivers active, Amendola didn't draw a single target. He has just three catches for 16 yards this season, and clearly doesn't have Tom Brady's trust. Amendola is now falling behind Brandon LaFell. He's obviously not worth owning in any format. Amendola may find himself inactive soon.
They have gotten this wrong 3 weeks in a row... Amendola has had like 10 catches negated for one reason or another - not targeted, lmfao.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Patriots keep thinking they can stop paying their game-changers. This year it's Logan Mankins, but every year it's somebody. C'mon man! Give Brady a chance. I hate the Patriots, but they should be better minus their billionaire owner going cheap each year.

The Patriots keep thinking they can stop paying their game-changers. This year it's Logan Mankins, but every year it's somebody. C'mon man! Give Brady a chance. I hate the Patriots, but they should be better minus their billionaire owner going cheap each year.
While I agree with the sentiment, I don't think it applies to Mankins.

I honestly feel that probably half of their roster is made up of guys that shouldn't even have NFL gigs or at best should be buried on the depth chart somewhere. Do yourself a favor and go thru the roster and circle the guys who you truly feel are viable NFL players. It's pathetic to see what they are rolling out there every week.

They had one solid O-lineman ( Solder) going into the year and now he looks like a turnstile. The rest of the line with the possible exception of the rookie Stork is complete garbage. On the D-line they have Vince who I love but he's done. They cheaped out and let the only quality vet they had go while fielding scrubs like Sealver, Verano (sp) and C Jones. The wr corps is complete garbage aside from Edelman.

So we have no O-lne, D-line or WR corps. That was completely transparent going into the year and they did nothing to address it besides let go a couple of the better vets they had there. The front office is a joke and yes Kraft is cheap. This team will never win a SB again without first getting a competent GM in place. It's obvious that these guys don't have a clue when it comes to personal. WTF was the last time we drafted a WR that could even play? What they have done to this team is criminal.

Joshy McDaniels' play calling is lousy... I mean, can we just say that the NFL has finally caught up to the Pats and their bubble screens, and chuck-n-duck offense? like the Giants, whose Gilbride offense was 'figured out' by opposing teams, so have the Pats.time to move on from McDaniels.

the defensive game-planning is lousy ( isn't BB supposedly a great defensive game planner?) , Revis looks like an above avg CB, but nothing like he was as Revis Island's star with the Jets..

I know people will mention that they were blown out by Buffalo one year and came back to win the SB, but this isn't that type of team..this is a dog that won't hunt..they looked bad last night, like William Paterson University playing @ Alabama bad..and things aren't going to change anytime soon.

What the hell happened to Jamie Collins? He was really coming on strong at the end of last season. This year, he suddenly has a thigh injury in practice just before week 1 and its caused him miss all or part of 4 games? Did someone shoot him in the thigh or something?

I honestly feel that probably half of their roster is made up of guys that shouldn't even have NFL gigs or at best should be buried on the depth chart somewhere. Do yourself a favor and go thru the roster and circle the guys who you truly feel are viable NFL players. It's pathetic to see what they are rolling out there every week.

They had one solid O-lineman ( Solder) going into the year and now he looks like a turnstile. The rest of the line with the possible exception of the rookie Stork is complete garbage. On the D-line they have Vince who I love but he's done. They cheaped out and let the only quality vet they had go while fielding scrubs like Sealver, Verano (sp) and C Jones. The wr corps is complete garbage aside from Edelman.

So we have no O-lne, D-line or WR corps. That was completely transparent going into the year and they did nothing to address it besides let go a couple of the better vets they had there. The front office is a joke and yes Kraft is cheap. This team will never win a SB again without first getting a competent GM in place. It's obvious that these guys don't have a clue when it comes to personal. WTF was the last time we drafted a WR that could even play? What they have done to this team is criminal.
Again, I think this year's team may be not very good and I'm extremely dubious about some of the off-season moves they made, but how anyone walking upright can they don't have a competent GM, or that the owner is cheap is a complete mystery to me. The same incompetent GM and cheap owner built an AFC contender last year that made it one game away from the Super Bowl.

Please stop.

What the hell happened to Jamie Collins? He was really coming on strong at the end of last season. This year, he suddenly has a thigh injury in practice just before week 1 and its caused him miss all or part of 4 games? Did someone shoot him in the thigh or something?
Pretty sure he played week 1 and had a good game. He missed week 2, barely played in week 3.

Steve Palazzolo, Pro Football Focus, NFL Analyst
Tom Brady time in pocket vs. Chiefs: 2.15 seconds, tied for second-lowest in the 4+ seasons we've tracked. Trying to get it out quickly
I think this speaks to the real problem: The OL has looked like feces for 4 weeks. While I do think Brady's game has regressed (his deep ball is a complete crapshoot, allowing the D to cheat up closer to the LOS), he's got no shot if the OL continues its 2014 ways. And does anyone see a fix forthcoming? It's not like the team hasn't tried; We're four weeks into the season.

I'm not sure what to think about the D. The run D has looked awful against Miami and KC, but the D won them the other two games (albeit against Oakland and the Matt Cassel stinkfest in Minnesota). Based on the talent, I'd give the D a better chance at turning things around than the O and that horrific OL play.

The defense will improve as the season goes on, Browner comes back this week.

The offense on the other hand has three big problems. Our oline is ####, our receivers are #### and our playing calling is ####.

We know from last year, that our receivers being #### is tolerable if Brady has a little bit of time. I don't see them bringing in a FA WR or trading for anyone, I think we might see Tyms get some play time, and I hope they get their heads out of their asses and give Wright some play time. So were stuck with the receivers.

They've tried I think 4 or 5 different oline combinations now, they all look bad. I think it would be much easier to plug in a new linemen than it would be to plug in a WR in this system.

Finally, wtf is Mcdaniels doing? Receivers aren't getting separation - lets have even deeper routes... No holes for the backs - lets run draws every 2nd and 3rd down, because they worked literally never this year....

Gronk needs to be on the field every down, Vereen needs to be on the field every down, Wright needs to be on the field every down and Edelman needs to be on the field every down. At this point this offense won't work without missmatches and there are literally none at the moment cause we're fielding Edelman, Gronk half the time, Vereen half the time and random scrub WR. Also, where the #### is Develin, having running troubles and were not using our FB to block. Develin seems pretty capable of being a blocker and also a target.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd somewhat agree with a lot of that, but I think it might be a bit of an overreaction to a bad game.

everybody was raving about kc def last year, and it's a very tough place to play with the noise --- if some team gets whacked in seattle everybody just writes it off.

I mean, to be fair about it -- but they did look like crap.

hali and houston are elite --- remember that one play where hali got off so quick it looked like he was offsides for the sack?

fleming is an ot/te playing his first game ever at guard, stork was getting his first nfl start, connolly doesn't generally play lg, and this is all happening in an environment where nobody can hear a thing over the crowd, so we'll see if these guys can get it together a bit more at home vs a tough cincy line.

I think the defense was mostly a problem with being caught out of position, not filling lanes, not setting the edge, etc, which is a combo of excellent execution by kc and coachable issues on our side.

I've seen games in years past where they got run over but were able to correct the issues.

getting wrecked in any single game wouldn't worry me, but twice in 4 games is a little concerning....

on the plus side, 4 of our next 5 are at home, I think, so maybe we can make everybody forget this one.

What do Pats fans think of James White getting carries / catches last night?
he got most of that stuff late after we had been blown out already, after brady left in the 4th

it was interesting that they activated him for his first game, while deactivating both thompkins and dobson, and if I had to pull a guess out of my ### I'd say their scheme was mostly based on circumstance.

they've already been having line issues, and they knew they'd be immersed in a sea of sound with hali and houston crashing hard off the edges, so I think they wanted to slow those guys down a bit and get the ball out superquick to the back, and they wanted a back up in case vereen got hurt, as ridley really doesn't catch balls.

I think it was Gruden last night that was saying with the fact that there are fewer practices than in year's past due to the CBA that the Pats are basically still trying out line combinations to see what works and doesn't. Maybe some teams have figured theirs out quickly and the Pats haven't. I don't think they'll be solid in a few weeks or anything though.

Pats tend to respond pretty well after games like these and in guessing they will be a home dog on Sunday for the first time in over a decade. I think they go back to what worked in Minny and Ridley has a big game. I think they win a low scoring 17-13 game.

Pats should consider bringing in Richie Incognito (pending a mental stability exam). Incognito is better than the guards the Pats' have, and he could add that nastiness lost when Mankins was traded.

Pats should consider bringing in Richie Incognito (pending a mental stability exam). Incognito is better than the guards the Pats' have, and he could add that nastiness lost when Mankins was traded.
Was originally opposed to the idea, cause honestly how bad could our line be - I've come around.

Everyone's talking about Browner but I don't think its a given that he plays this week. He hasn't even been around the team yet. Am I missing something?

Everyone's talking about Browner but I don't think its a given that he plays this week. He hasn't even been around the team yet. Am I missing something?
My comment was mostly sarcasm/trying to find something to be optimistic about. Though with as poor as Ryan looked yesterday, I wouldn't doubt that they try to get him into the game next week.

This is the big story in my opinion... Where do you think Young and Dilfer are getting this from?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/30/espns-steve-young-trent-dilfer-very-critical-of-patriots-management/

There is a sentiment in the NFL, its kind of this dirty secret that organizations just want to get in the tournament. Theyre trying to fill their seats, make money, and try to put a good enough product out there that is competitive. If you look at the New England Patriots after the championship run, thats how theyve drafted, thats how they've handled free agency - not to go attack a championship and say, We have Tom Brady. We need to take some chances to go win one more. The mistake has been not making it about Tom Brady, because thats how you win Super Bowls. How do you look at Tom Brady in the eye right now?

Last edited:
This is the big story in my opinion... Where do you think Young and Dilfer are getting this from?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/30/espns-steve-young-trent-dilfer-very-critical-of-patriots-management/

There is a sentiment in the NFL, its kind of this dirty secret that organizations just want to get in the tournament. Theyre trying to fill their seats, make money, and try to put a good enough product out there that is competitive. If you look at the New England Patriots after the championship run, thats how theyve drafted, thats how they've handled free agency - not to go attack a championship and say, We have Tom Brady. We need to take some chances to go win one more. The mistake has been not making it about Tom Brady, because thats how you win Super Bowls. How do you look at Tom Brady in the eye right now?
They said what would get them the best ratings for the show. I was only half awake when I seen those comments, but I remember watching Ray Lewis react to that statement and the way he responded was like are you kidding me. I am pretty sure he wanted to choke them both out at that moment.

I think the biggest thing to understand is that the Pats as an organization have made it work. I agree that their approach to team building is awful from Brady's perspective - what they have done to Brady over the past three years has been a crime. Guy religiously takes paycuts to keep talent around, while they simultaneously don't go after the pieces.

There have been very few wins in the FA acquisition department.

Its just not working anymore, either because it was stretched too thin or because too many pieces are underperforming but thats how it is. On paper they have what it takes, but they need to invest in some changes now, the Oline is bottlenecking this entire team.

This is getting ridiculous. The Pats are the first team in two decades to make the AFC Championship Game in three straight years. Now all of a sudden the Pats are wasting Brady's golden years? Give me a break.

That having been said, 2014 is definitely looking like a down year, and Brady's window is almost closed by now. But we're not talking about the Jacksonville Jaguars here.

This is getting ridiculous. The Pats are the first team in two decades to make the AFC Championship Game in three straight years. Now all of a sudden the Pats are wasting Brady's golden years? Give me a break.
that's because they're trying to be good, not great.

it's readily apparent to anybody who cares to see that kraft has never kept up with al davis, jerry jones, and dan snyder.

their backsides?

New England Patriots: No starting quarterback has been sacked quicker than Tom Brady this season. On average, his time to sack is 2.78.
~ PFF
And I bet the bulk of that fast time is thanks to the whiffs by Solder. What's been amazing to me is despite the foreseeable struggles of the interior OL, the regression of Solder and Vollmer has been severe, particularly Solder.

That having been said, 2014 is definitely looking like a down year, and Brady's window is almost closed by now. But we're not talking about the Jacksonville Jaguars here.
I don't think anyone's saying they're going to be Jacksonville.....but let's be honest. It's not like HOF 14 year starter QBs grow on trees. IF Brady's cooked, and it's most definitely going to be sooner than later....this team is probably going to have some lean times. They don't have too much depth, don't have a lot of playmakers and need to build both sides of the trench.

This is the big story in my opinion... Where do you think Young and Dilfer are getting this from?http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/30/espns-steve-young-trent-dilfer-very-critical-of-patriots-management/

their backsides?
Doesn't look like it. Brady was seen chatting with Young and Dilfer before the game. http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/10/01/tom-brady-offers-no-comment-on-steve-youngs-trent-dilfers-assessment-of-patriots/

Users who are viewing this thread