What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (1 Viewer)

I had to drop because of the bye, but I would start them

I'm rollin' pitt vs tenn, so I'll probably stick with that --- hopefully I'm not too pissed on monday

Luck not really known for his ball security, how do you guys feel about the Pats D this week away against a highpowered Colts offense?

Starting em with confidence atm, just curious.
Traded for them due to the week 15/16 matchups (Dolphins/Jets) so no choice but to start them.

Why not? You know he's a (excuse my use of this cliche) "workout warrior" and is probably still in top tier shape, can click with that offense and make deep, down the sideline plays - something the Pats are still lacking, which could open up the middle even more for Gronk/Lafell/Edelman, and he could be had for :2cents: .

This is :moneybag: in the bank.

I'm just playing devil's advocate - I wouldn't sign him either.

Really don't need the help. Even if hes still a trackstar, I don't think he brings a lot to the offense, also the offense has changed a ton since Moss was here.

Offensive lineman Cameron Fleming (finger/ankle) missed the practice in its entirety. Fleming injured his ankle late in Sunday’s game and did not return, while he suffered the finger injury Week 4 in Kansas City — the injury has been on the injury report since that game. Last Sunday was Fleming’s first action since Week 4.

Defensive lineman Sealver Siliga returned to practice for the first time since being placed on injured reserve designated for return after injuring his foot in Week 3. The Patriots have 21 days to decide whether or not to add him to the active roster or shut him down. :D :D
Shalise Manza Young - Boston Globe, Sportswriter
those who have been asking about Chandler Jones: source said today patriots are hoping he'll be back for postseason
this team is so beast

In scoring more than 40 points three times in a row, the Patriots have tied their longest such streak (2007), and are one short of tying the NFL record

for most straight games at or above 40 points (2000 St. Louis Rams, 2004 Indianapolis Colts).

Last edited by a moderator:
In scoring more than 40 points three times in a row, the Patriots have tied their longest such streak (2007), and are one short of tying the NFL record

for most straight games at or above 40 points (2000 St. Louis Rams, 2004 Indianapolis Colts).
I hear that Detroit defense is pretty good. That'll make it even more impressive when the streak extends past GB.

This is the first time in the Brady era that I seriously think the run is over. I would be shocked if this team does anything in the playoffs assuming they get there. BB and his crappy drafting and Kraft's nickel and diming has finally taken it's toll. I'll give BB credit as he has done more with less over the last 5 years or so but the cupboard is bare and both lines are pathetic. Brady is in decline as well but how can you blame him given the talent he's surrounded with.

It was a great run and we knew it wouldn't last forever.
well, I'm pretty down about the game, but then I realized I'm rooting for a team that produces this ^^ reaction to losing one game and I feel a little better.
I'm trying to not overreact but looking at this team we have two of the weakest lines in the NFL. I think it is as much a talent issue as a coaching/scheme issue. I'm of the belief that games are won in the trenches and from what I've seen so far that is a major issue given the cast of characters we are fielding. The good news is we have 13 mil in cap space left to go out and sign all those impact players out there.
yeah, I think that's your imagination
Ok, so I imagined that Chris Jones, Silver Siliga and a very old looking Big Vince were thrown around like rag dolls in the second half. I don't even know where to start on the offensive line, just pick anyone. Do you honestly see either line being a strength for this team? If so, how do you see that based on the talent we presently have and the way they are playing? What we have done in years past doesn't mean anything this year as we have never fielded such a bunch of stiffs and has been's on the lines as we have now. Well at least not under BB.
I totally get why you'd feel that way after this game. But, at some point, until they prove otherwise, don't you need to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll improve?
I think they will improve as they can't play any worse than they did in the second half. My point is it's sickening to look at the talent on the roster @ O-line and D-line. Like I said I feel BB has performed a minor miracle last year to get this group to the AFC title game. He will get the most out of this group but the cupboard is bare aside from Chandler , Solder and maybe a couple others. Unfortunately as good a coach BB is he's that bad a GM at this point.

WTF are we relying on Vellano, Devey etc. ? I know we have some prospects like Stork and Easley but if they don't come in and contribute sooner than later we are no better than a 10 win team at best ( and that is optimistic) with a quick playoff exit. I am fully expecting to start 0-2 as a team like Minny on the road is exactly the worst case scenario for us at this point IMO. I hope I'm wrong.
:bye: hey buddy

how we feelin'?

hope you didn't jump off a roof a couple months ago

Kool-Aid Larry said:
those who have been asking about Chandler Jones: source said today patriots are hoping he'll be back for postseason
ugh, what happened to only being out for a month. Hopefully they can survive the DET/GB/SD games without him.

After Gray's performance last week I'm surprised they signed blount, but he definitely brings some depth and relief to Gray's role. They need to feed whichever RB is hot which is obviously Gray at the moment.

Kool-Aid Larry said:

ugh, what happened to only being out for a month. Hopefully they can survive the DET/GB/SD games without him. After Gray's performance last week I'm surprised they signed blount, but he definitely brings some depth and relief to Gray's role. They need to feed whichever RB is hot which is obviously Gray at the moment.
Maybe BB plans on playng Blount at LB?

At the very least hes a big improvement as a return man.

But I'm pretty confident he will contribute running the ball, immediately.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
This is the first time in the Brady era that I seriously think the run is over. I would be shocked if this team does anything in the playoffs assuming they get there. BB and his crappy drafting and Kraft's nickel and diming has finally taken it's toll. I'll give BB credit as he has done more with less over the last 5 years or so but the cupboard is bare and both lines are pathetic. Brady is in decline as well but how can you blame him given the talent he's surrounded with.

It was a great run and we knew it wouldn't last forever.
well, I'm pretty down about the game, but then I realized I'm rooting for a team that produces this ^^ reaction to losing one game and I feel a little better.
I'm trying to not overreact but looking at this team we have two of the weakest lines in the NFL. I think it is as much a talent issue as a coaching/scheme issue. I'm of the belief that games are won in the trenches and from what I've seen so far that is a major issue given the cast of characters we are fielding. The good news is we have 13 mil in cap space left to go out and sign all those impact players out there.
yeah, I think that's your imagination
Ok, so I imagined that Chris Jones, Silver Siliga and a very old looking Big Vince were thrown around like rag dolls in the second half. I don't even know where to start on the offensive line, just pick anyone. Do you honestly see either line being a strength for this team? If so, how do you see that based on the talent we presently have and the way they are playing? What we have done in years past doesn't mean anything this year as we have never fielded such a bunch of stiffs and has been's on the lines as we have now. Well at least not under BB.
I totally get why you'd feel that way after this game. But, at some point, until they prove otherwise, don't you need to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll improve?
I think they will improve as they can't play any worse than they did in the second half. My point is it's sickening to look at the talent on the roster @ O-line and D-line. Like I said I feel BB has performed a minor miracle last year to get this group to the AFC title game. He will get the most out of this group but the cupboard is bare aside from Chandler , Solder and maybe a couple others. Unfortunately as good a coach BB is he's that bad a GM at this point.

WTF are we relying on Vellano, Devey etc. ? I know we have some prospects like Stork and Easley but if they don't come in and contribute sooner than later we are no better than a 10 win team at best ( and that is optimistic) with a quick playoff exit. I am fully expecting to start 0-2 as a team like Minny on the road is exactly the worst case scenario for us at this point IMO. I hope I'm wrong.
:bye: hey buddy

how we feelin'?

hope you didn't jump off a roof a couple months ago
Feelin much better. HTF this team keeps rolling year after year is amazing.I honestly thought the wheels had fallen off from what I saw early on. At some point it will end and some blind homers will keep saying "everything will be ok". This ride is pretty much unprecedented in the NFL. And yes I'm enjoying it and very happy to eat my big plate of crow.

Tim Twentyman - Detroit News, Lions Beat Writer
Couldn't believe this stat when I saw it. Patriots have won 72 straight games at home when leading at half. Last lost was in 2000 vs. Miami.
In their first 9 games this year, in the 2 minutes prior to half time the Pats had scored 11 touchdowns. Its a pretty big aspect of their game plan and I think it has a lot to do with that stat.

That being said, the pick Brady threw with a little less than two mins till the half last week was beyond awful.

Lafell said after the game that he was fine and if there was a game tonight he would play.

Another good win, Blount looked good, Wright actually being used looked good.

I don't know how the Patriots are doing it on D without Mayo and Chandler Jones. Any Pats homers want to give their insight? Is it because the Pats are making the game one dimensional?

I don't know how the Patriots are doing it on D without Mayo and Chandler Jones. Any Pats homers want to give their insight? Is it because the Pats are making the game one dimensional?
I assume you mean defensively, I was very impressed with the game against the Colts and the Broncos. The Lions are just horrible on offense this year though, everyone is calling for Stafford and the new OC's head.

best secondary in football
This and their hybrid LBers. Collins and Ninkovich have been playing really well. Wilfork of course is an anchor on the line and Easley and Ayers have been very disruptive.

Nice! Good win, ho hum 2nd half but the damage was done, D was doing their thing. They got some good pressure today. Great to see Wright get more involved, Amendola is perfect for returns....on and on. Awesome win.

Green Bay is going to be a big big game. I'd go after this one like it's your Superbowl. Because if they win this game, I really like their chances of going all the way this year. Huge game.

Last edited:
best secondary in football
Yup. They go about 7 deep in the secondary and even when teams go 5 wide they can man up on them. LBs are versatile, DL solid...but there's rarely anyone very open downfield and sooner or later you make a mistake, and there's a pick, a sack, or a penalty and you're punting. It's not a dominating, tons-of-sacks kind of defense but it also doesn't have any gaping holes, and they make you put on a long drive to get points.

Jeff Howe - Boston Hearald, Patriots Beat Writer
The Pats have outscored their opponents 277-137 during their 7-game winning streak. That's an average score of 40-20.
how's the gauntlet coming along?

I'm just thinkin' about green bay, right now --- let me know when we come out the other end of the callahan tunnel

Green Bay is going to be a big big game. I'd go after this one like it's your Superbowl. Because if they win this game, I really like their chances of going all the way this year. Huge game.
yeah, because most weeks they lack focus

if this is anybody's superbowl, it's green bay's, and their offense runs through their wide receivers -- looking fwd to it

Brady can expect to see a lot of blitzing from the Packers defense, which has sent extra men on 178 opposing quarterback dropbacks (fifth-most in the NFL). But that’s of little concern to him. Brady’s QBR against the blitz is 93.1, best in the league.

Rodgers ranks fourth-best against the blitz, but he probably won’t see it often. The Patriots have blitzed 97 times, 28th-most in the NFL.

And the matchup you might not (but that you should watch closely)

The Green Bay Packers rank first in the NFL in Expected Points Added (EPA) on offense. The New England Patriots rank third. In other words, their offenses have performed with the highest level of success in the NFL

The Packers rank 11th in Defensive EPA. The Patriots rank 13th.

The two teams are fairly even within those two aspects of the game.

But where do they differ?

The biggest differential is in special teams’ performance. The Patriots have the edge there by a good margin.

The Patriots rank second in the NFL in special teams EPA. The Packers rank 26th.

The Patriots’ special team excellence comes in a couple of areas.

Their kicker, Stephen Gostowski, leads the NFL with 26 field goals and has missed only once all season. He ranks eighth in kicking accuracy over the last three seasons (90 percent). Packers kicker Mason Crosby ranks 35th in that same span (79.5 percent), though he’s a steady 16 for 18 on tries this season.

The Patriots are also helped by a pair of blocked kicks against opponents field goals. Opposing kickers are 19 for 24 against them this season. Opponents are 15 for 16 against the Packers.

The Patriots have a solid kick return game on both ends, ranking sixth in yards per kick return and fifth in yards per kick return allowed. The Packers are 27th and 24th.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

Belichick spent much of this past week (both before and after the Lions game) talking about how the Pats needed to account for Ndamukong Suh because of how great a player Suh is. We've seen Bill do this in the past with other players he respects. My question is: Do you think Bill was simply showing his respect for a great player or do you think that Bill was laying the seeds of wooing the free agent Suh to New England this coming offseason?

Belichick spent much of this past week (both before and after the Lions game) talking about how the Pats needed to account for Ndamukong Suh because of how great a player Suh is. We've seen Bill do this in the past with other players he respects. My question is: Do you think Bill was simply showing his respect for a great player or do you think that Bill was laying the seeds of wooing the free agent Suh to New England this coming offseason?
doubt the pats spend that kind of money

doubt the pats spend that kind of money
Same.

I think he just has a legit respect for the players who are truly great at their position.

he does that every week --- I'd be surprised if they pay top dollar for suh, but I'll admit it wouldn't be the first time he surprised me.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork called out Lions center Dominic Raiola after Sunday's game for what he said was an "uncalled for" block while Detroit was kneeling on the ball at the end of the game.

On Monday, Bill Belichick was asked his opinion of the play and he provided his own zinger.

“I’m sure there was a lot of frustration there from Raiola. That was obvious," he said. "He’s never beaten us. He had a tough day in there dealing with [Vince] Wilfork and [Dont’a] Hightower and those guys.

"I’d say that was probably frustration. We saw a lot of that at the end of the game -- [Tahir] Whitehead on [LeGarrette] Blount’s touchdown, [C.J.] Mosley on the personal foul on the field goal.”
that pos raiola really needs to be suspended

but WE'RE ON TO GB!!!

Kool-Aid Larry said:
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork called out Lions center Dominic Raiola after Sunday's game for what he said was an "uncalled for" block while Detroit was kneeling on the ball at the end of the game.

On Monday, Bill Belichick was asked his opinion of the play and he provided his own zinger.

“I’m sure there was a lot of frustration there from Raiola. That was obvious," he said. "He’s never beaten us. He had a tough day in there dealing with [Vince] Wilfork and [Dont’a] Hightower and those guys.

"I’d say that was probably frustration. We saw a lot of that at the end of the game -- [Tahir] Whitehead on [LeGarrette] Blount’s touchdown, [C.J.] Mosley on the personal foul on the field goal.”
that pos raiola really needs to be suspended

but WE'RE ON TO GB!!!
You see his other cheap shot a few plays earlier?

Idk how he doesn't get suspended for these two plays.

PFF on the DET game.

Darrelle Revis, CB: +5.0

Breakdown: This was Revis’ highest-graded game since the 2011 season, and he has a cumulative grade of +12.7 over his past four games. Only four cornerbacks have a higher grade over the entire season. Revis spent most of the game shadowing Golden Tate, and held him to two catches for 41 yards on seven targets.

Signature Stat: Stafford was 2-of-10 for 41 yards when targeting Revis, including three passes defensed.

Tom Brady, QB: +4.0

Breakdown: Outside of the rare red zone interception in the third quarter, Brady was excellent in a game where the plan was to pass the ball against the Lions’ top-ranked rushing defense. Brady and the Patriots continued to dominate the middle of the field; Brady earned a +5.0 grade on passes thrown between 0-19 yards and between the numbers.

Signature Stat: Brady has a positive grade in every Patriots win this season, and a negative grade in both losses.

Dont’a Hightower, LB: +4.4

Breakdown: Hightower continued his breakout season, and now leads all inside linebackers with a +18.4 overall grade. Hightower is excelling in all phases of the game, and earned positive grades in both pass rushing and run defense for the third game in a row.

Signature Stat: Hightower had three run stops in addition to a hit and three hurries rushing the passer.
Okay so seriously, I can never choose between Collins and Hightower in regards to one of my IDP slots, as of recently I've defaulted to Collins just cause he seems to be in more situations to get pass defenses/ints while maintaining an okay shot at the odd sack. But Hightower is on a tear. Feel like Collins is the better fantasy LBer.

Insane stat: Tom Brady was 24 of 25 for 201 yards, 1 TD when throwing the ball in less than 2 seconds vs. the Lions. 2.5 is considered fast.
Ryan Wendell had an outstanding game yesterday. He went 1-on-1 with Suh during 14 passing plays and won every single matchup.

Ndamukong Suh, DT: +3.7

Breakdown: Suh was a monster in run defense, earning a season-best +4.0 grade in that department after registering four run stops, three of which were tackles for loss. Suh also added four hurries and a hit as a pass rusher, as Patriots guard Ryan Wendell had his worst game of the season (-3.2) trying to contain him.

Signature Play: The Patriots’ second drive of the game was a three and out, and Suh was the biggest reason for it. After stopping Shane Vereen 5 yards in the backfield on first down, Suh landed a huge hit on Tom Brady on 3rd-and-15 to help end the drive. ~ PFF
Benjamin Volin - Boston Globe, NFL Reporter
Fox microphones captured Suh shouting and cursing in Brady's direction midway through the 4Q. "Don't f***ing" run on me!" Pats were up 27-9

Users who are viewing this thread