Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
captain_amazing

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread

Personally think it would be a hugely successful free agency to get Revis and one of Nicks, Edelman or Decker.

I have no problem adding a WR. Just get Revis. And Allen. That would be amazing. If the Pats have the money they should be spending it now. You know, just like Denver is doing. The window is closing. Cliche but true.

Personally think it would be a hugely successful free agency to get Revis and one of Nicks, Edelman or Decker.

I still think if (and trust me, this is a HUGE if) Gronk, Amendola, new WR or Dobson, and Vereen are all healthy Edelman sees a fraction of the targets he saw last year and at best becomes a 40-50 catch guy with 400-500 receiving yards. He was a good soldier last year, but IMO he was the only guy that suited up every week and otherwise not hobbled. That led to him catching 105 balls more than anything else.

You are probably right but there's too many ifs there without another wr to make me comfortable. If Amendola is able to stay healthy, if Gronk is out there week 1, if Dobson continues his development. I really think they owe Brady one more weapon. Edelman would be my 3rd choice of those 3 i mentioned but he is the guy who already knows the ins and outs of the system.

I still think if (and trust me, this is a HUGE if) Gronk, Amendola, new WR or Dobson, and Vereen are all healthy Edelman sees a fraction of the targets he saw last year and at best becomes a 40-50 catch guy with 400-500 receiving yards. He was a good soldier last year, but IMO he was the only guy that suited up every week and otherwise not hobbled. That led to him catching 105 balls more than anything else.

You are probably right but there's too many ifs there without another wr to make me comfortable. If Amendola is able to stay healthy, if Gronk is out there week 1, if Dobson continues his development. I really think they owe Brady one more weapon. Edelman would be my 3rd choice of those 3 i mentioned but he is the guy who already knows the ins and outs of the system.

It depends what Edelman wants. If he wants Amendola money (5 years, $28.5 million with $10 million upfront), that's too much for a guy that may not even be an every down receiver. It doesn't seem to make sense to have two $6 million slot receivers with both playing at the same time on occasion. But with so many guys out of the line up last year, it's hard to tell how the puzzle pieces might work with or without Edelman.

Fingers crossed on Revis, even if that's the only significant move they made in f.a. I'd be happy. The skill position players available other than possibly trading for Sproles (who we don't need) are crap IMO.

On defense we could have used a safety but what's left is garbage. D-line to me has Allen (who will probably get more than he's worth), a washed up Peppers who we needed four years ago and a bunch of jags. If we end up with DRC, Finnegan or Cro I will be less than thrilled. Revis, a few jags and onto the draft.

This was a thin f.a. crop overall and we could still come out with the best player of the bunch. The problem is we still need a safety, inside lb, edge rusher and a minimum of two quality skill players for Brady. Edelman at the right price would help as well but I see some team paying too much for him.

Revis is a must at this point. Radio around here is expecting it, most Pats fans are now expecting it. Things are gonna blow up lol if they lost Talib and can't lock up Revis.

Meh. A legitimate pass rusher opposite Jones would do far more for the secondary than ANY corner.

Revis is a must at this point. Radio around here is expecting it, most Pats fans are now expecting it. Things are gonna blow up lol if they lost Talib and can't lock up Revis.

Meh. A legitimate pass rusher opposite Jones would do far more for the secondary than ANY corner.

A washed up Peppers or Allen aren't even necessarily an upgrade over Ninkovich at this point. There's no pass rusher whos going to make that secondary without Revis anything but a free for all.

Okay Pats, go get Revis and Peppers!!!

I will happily eat my words about the front office!!

Rather have Revis and some WR help.

WRs in the draft. Who else is really out there? Nicks? Decker?

They got their Wrs in the draft last year. Need atleast 1 plug and play vet imo. Nicks, Decker, Austin, Smiff, E Sanders, J Jones, Edelman

I agree, but please not Nicks. We don't need to pay someone to watch football games.

I think Revis wants to play for the Patriots. He would love to stick to the Jets twice a year, but from the way he seems to portray himself in contract talks and hold outs I doubt he would do it without being the top paid corner in the game. The Patriots don't do business that way. Even though I wish they would a little more often.

He'll get tons of media attention helping win games with the Pats, try to win a Super Bowl, and then make bank again next offseason. Pretty smart, he always seemed like the type to bet on himself.

CB Darrelle Revis and the New England Patriots have reached agreement on a one-year, $12 million deal, league sources told ESPN.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:jawdrop:

They got him for the amount they would have had to pay Talib on the franchise tag...huge move...he is an elite defender and the type of player who gets them closer to a title...next up is adding to the pass rush...this is a must...do that and stay reasonably healthy and they may finally have a legit defense...

One lousy, f'in year. WTF? I'm ecstatic we signed him but it should have been at least 3 years. I'm assuming the franchise tag is not an option after 2014 and he is unrestricted? :wall:

I love the signing. The biggest difference between the patriots playoff loss to denver and their regular season win wasn't home vs away, it was two players: gronk and talib. Without any legitimate receiving threat, the broncos had their way with the patriots o line, and once talib went out, the patriots couldn't cover the whole field anymore, so they had to pick their poison. Their whole defensive game plan went out the window. Now if decker leaves and the patriots have revis, that is a huge change in their biggest game of the year. And if the pats can ease gronk back into things, maybe have a healthy receiver or two at the same time, they have a legit chance at another superbowl trip. They still have some holes, and they may lose edelman before they can add another receiver, but I like their chances a lot better after this news.

Heard they can franchise him next year...

if thats true im much happier with the deal, essentially a 2 year 22 million dollar deal then.

More like 2 for 24.5. This is a great deal for Pats and Revis. Wonder if other players will try the gamble on one year deal strategy.

If the Pats franchise him I see a long, ugly holdout. I hope they extend him about half way through the year after they see him dominating even if they have to make him the highest paid CB in the league. It's an awesome deal for 2014 either way. Lock up the beast :pickle: . Now if the Bruins can just hang on vs the Habs tonight.

I'm speculating but I don't see Revis signing this deal if there is any potential of getting franchised next year...I bet there is an agreement in-place with regard to this...

Wow, the Pats upgrade from Talib to Revis, and will get a 3rd round pick in 2015. Unreal. BB playing chess.

I been sleeping on football news, whats the pick for? Compensatory?

Wow, the Pats upgrade from Talib to Revis, and will get a 3rd round pick in 2015. Unreal. BB playing chess.

Should be a 3rd for Talib signing in Denver, I don't know how they calculate it but I think it is based on the size of the contract.

if thats true im much happier with the deal, essentially a 2 year 22 million dollar deal then.

More like 2 for 24.5. This is a great deal for Pats and Revis. Wonder if other players will try the gamble on one year deal strategy.

Both of you are slightly off. $12M + $14.4M = $26.4M if they franchise him in 2015. But I'm not sure Revis would go for that and could hold out.

Should be a 3rd for Talib signing in Denver, I don't know how they calculate it but I think it is based on the size of the contract.

Dont they weigh that against any free agents you sign?

Compensatory picks are based on net gains and losses and contract value. If the Pats go out and sign someone else for big money, then they would not get anything for Talib. But the player would have to have been a player that left via free agency, not someone that was cut and then signed.

Compensatory picks are based on net gains and losses and contract value. If the Pats go out and sign someone else for big money, then they would not get anything for Talib. But the player would have to have been a player that left via free agency, not someone that was cut and then signed.

So Revis doesn't count towards the pick?

Correct. The Bucs didn't lose him, they dumped him. So they get no "compensation," as they were the ones that chose not to keep him..

The CBA specifies that players get the greater of the Franchise tag value or 120% the prior year salary. So a tag next year would be for $14.4 mil.

Correct. The Bucs didn't lose him, they dumped him. So they get no "compensation," as they were the ones that chose not to keep him..

Correct you dont get compensation.... but it does still count against your losses if you signed them. At least according to adamjt's rules.

Revis works against the team that signs him. He does not work in favor of the team that cut him. Thats how the "cut" effects.

1. Lost players that are cut or not tendered as RFAs and ERFAs do not qualify.

2. Lost players that were picked up during the season the year before do not qualify.

3. Signed players that are released before midseason do not qualify.

4. Players earning low minimum salaries do not qualify.

5. Each player signed cancels out one player lost.

6. The round of the pick awarded is primarily determined by the annual value of the contract signed. Signed players cancel out lost players with equal contracts, then lower contracts, before canceling out higher contracts.

Edited by BigSteelThrill

Correct you dont get compensation.... but it does still count against your losses if you signed them. At least according to adamjt's rules.

Revis works against the team that signs him. He does not work in favor of the team that cut him. Thats how the "cut" effects.

2. Lost players that were picked up during the season the year before do not qualify.

6. The round of the pick awarded is primarily determined by the annual value of the contract signed. Signed players cancel out lost players with equal contracts, then lower contracts, before canceling out higher contracts.

#1 covers it. Players that are cut . . . or players that were non-tendered . . . DO NOT QUALIFY.

#1 covers it. Players that are cut . . . or players that were non-tendered . . . DO NOT QUALIFY.

Isnt that for compensation. Not weight against as a signed player?

Edited by BigSteelThrill

what are you guys even arguing about?

tampa gets no comp for revis, just as you already posted.

what's that got to do with new england?