What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (3 Viewers)

Thoughts on Amendola this year?
Tough to say for me. He really brought it together at the end of last year.

But its hard for me to see where he fits in between Edelman and Lafell. He is worst case scenario, Edelman insurance. Best case scenario WR2b. IMO

Dobson is also trying to push his way back in to relevance, I was convinced last year that Dobson was done, that he would never be anything in NE, but I've read some things this offseason that suggest his injury last year was significant.

Then you also factor the effect Scott Chandler might have on the offense, which I'm inclined to believe will be at times significant, moreso that Wright last year.

Loosely I wanna say 50-70 receptions, 3-5 touchdowns. Both those numbers could increase if the Pats become even more offense oriented this season.

My question for those with their fingers on the pulse would be: How's our new nose guard? Anything? Or are we just not going to be a nose guard type team anymore?

My question for those with their fingers on the pulse would be: How's our new nose guard? Anything? Or are we just not going to be a nose guard type team anymore?
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, nose guard?
Did I have a brain fart? What Wilfork was.

eidt:Yes. Yes I did have a brain fart. Nose tackle. Four games. Substance abuse.

(Think I'll leave that typo.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't heard any camp stuff about Malcom Brown. I have heard however Easley looks great and has actually taken a lot of snaps at nose tackle.

I like that, a lot. I'm hoping that means we are gonna see a much more aggressive front 7.

I hope we can cover. I don't wanna go back to the bend-but-don't-break but then break sometimes days.
Agree...from a pure entertainment standpoint the last few years prior to 2014 were pretty painful to watch...watching guys wide-open on a 3rd and 12 is not a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon...I think one of the more underrated things about the Pats last year was the swagger/attitude that Browner brought...not since the days of Rodney was there a reason to worry about getting your head knocked off by the Pats secondary...while he came with plenty of flags I felt Browner was a key component in the overall Pats D playing far tougher than it had since the Willie/Bruschi/Seymour days (the Butler int doesn't happen without his pick as well)...Browner leaving the Pats bothered me more than Revis leaving...while Revis is all world I understood it because of the contract involved...on the other hand Browner had a very reasonable deal and there's no way you can convince me that the secondary would not be in better shape today if he was on the roster...

Thoughts on Amendola this year?
It seems reasonable to expect that at a minimum Amendola will fall behind Gronk, Edelman, and LaFell in receptions this year. Since TB took over, here is how the #4 player in receptions has done:

2001 Marc Edwards (RB) 25-166-2

2002 Kevin Faulk (RB) 37-379-3

2003 Daniel Graham (TE) 38-409-4

2004 Daniel Graham (TE) 30-364-7

2005 Ben Watson (TE) 29-441-4

2006 Kevin Faulk (RB) 43-356-2

2007 Donte Stallworth (WR) 46-697-3

2008 Jabar Gaffney (WR) 38-468-2

2009 Julian Edelman (WR) 37-359-1

2010 Rob Gronkowski (TE) 42-456-10

2011 Deion Branch (WR) 51-702-5

2012 Aaron Hernandez (TE) 51-483-5

2013 Rob Gronkowski (TE) 39-592-4

2014 Shane Vereen (RB) 53-447-3

For the most part, NE hasn't really had a lot of production from their #4 guy over the years. Amendola's best bet for a bigger role would be if someone else got hurt. And if Dobson can stay healthy, that won't help Danny's cause.

Pats trade versatile defensive player Matt Wells for Ryan Groy, OG from the Bears.

Groy has promising numbers but I was really high on Wells he drew fair comparisons to Shaq Thompson.

A lot of buzz about the third down RB position in NE. Today roto reported that James White had fallen behind Brandon Bolden.

I still feel fairly confident its between Cadet and White and that Cadet will win it out.

Pats trade versatile defensive player Matt Wells for Ryan Groy, OG from the Bears.

Groy has promising numbers but I was really high on Wells he drew fair comparisons to Shaq Thompson.
Tell me more about Wells. How do you see the Bears using him?

Tell me more about Wells. How do you see the Bears using him?
Wells is an explosive versatile player, idk how else to describe - the dude has played every defensive position. I was super excited for him in NE, see what BB could do with him, taking a chance on a guy that is legally blind in one eye who still produced just as well as Shaq Thompson in college.

If I had to bet, if he made their roster, he would be a coverage LB/box safety rotational player.

A lot of buzz about the third down RB position in NE. Today roto reported that James White had fallen behind Brandon Bolden.

I still feel fairly confident its between Cadet and White and that Cadet will win it out.
Nice little article by Tom E. Curran...the point about Cadet being able to play outside is a good one...

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/cadet-carving-space-himself-crowded-backfield
Yeah I didn't wanna go off on a whole tangent about it being entirely possible they scrap the Vereen role all together and turn it into something else, like the Darren Sproles final years in SD, or the Woodhead years in NE. Less of a third down RB and more of a H-back that gets moved all over the place.

As always, a big project. Sixteen games to build it. I wonder whether Pats will have the luxury of an inept division going for them while it's under construction. Jets looking Jetty, but MIA and BUF ....

It sounds like the entire starting offensive line took the night off, mostly because they're all dinged up. Which means belichick let Brady throw four passes with jv guys on the o line against a starting defensive line. Can you imagine?

Been looking for news on Trey Flowers, I hear he had xrays, but that they were negative and he just got the wind knocked out of him.

Be on the lookout for #92 Malcom Brown, #99 Dominique Easley, #74 Trey Flowers, #48 Geneo Grissom and #93 Jabaal Sheard

Mccourty looks gassed playing corner. Brown looked good running down Khiry.

Easley, Jones and Brown getting good penetration.

Butler looking great. Sheard looks great too.

DBs looking very 2011/2012.

Jordan Richards beautiful headsup reflexes, diving on top of two players to recover a stripped ball.

Edit: Correction, he ####### spidermanned the ball an inch off the ground for an interception.

As always, a big project. Sixteen games to build it. I wonder whether Pats will have the luxury of an inept division going for them while it's under construction. Jets looking Jetty, but MIA and BUF ....
I think the Pats still win the division but it's going to be very competitive this season. While, yes, the Geno "situation" was an embarrassment, the team is obviously better than it's been in a while. The 3 "other" teams in the division all have potential elite level defenses while the Pats' (on paper) will be worse.

I think the Pats still win the division but it's going to be very competitive this season. While, yes, the Geno "situation" was an embarrassment, the team is obviously better than it's been in a while. The 3 "other" teams in the division all have potential elite level defenses while the Pats' (on paper) will be worse.
I don't like to talk about it, but I kind of have a soft spot for Fitz.

(Sando said it this morning Fitz's numbers on par w/ Dalton, Palmer... somebody else starting. Not great, but not worthy of the punchline status he has)

I guess not everyone is high on the Patriots this year. Predictionmachine.com has them ranked 25th this year right behind the Raiders.

I don't like to talk about it, but I kind of have a soft spot for Fitz.

(Sando said it this morning Fitz's numbers on par w/ Dalton, Palmer... somebody else starting. Not great, but not worthy of the punchline status he has)
I woldn't want Fitz starting for my team. And he did. And it sucked. So good luck with that

How do you guys see the targets breaking down after Gronk and Edelman this year?

Does this seem reasonable? -- 1. Gronk, 2. Edelman, 3. White, 4. LaFell, 5. Amendola.

How do you guys see the targets breaking down after Gronk and Edelman this year?

Does this seem reasonable? -- 1. Gronk, 2. Edelman, 3. White, 4. LaFell, 5. Amendola.
After watching the preseason, I'm inclined to think Dion Lewis might take the passing RB role in NE, but I think your target breakdown order is probably about right, though I'd suggest that Gronk/Edelman will be close in targets, then RB/Lafell will be close. And Scott Chandler might sneak up with Amendola in that list.

After watching the preseason, I'm inclined to think Dion Lewis might take the passing RB role in NE, but I think your target breakdown order is probably about right, though I'd suggest that Gronk/Edelman will be close in targets, then RB/Lafell will be close. And Scott Chandler might sneak up with Amendola in that list.
I agree with this 100%. Lewis looks fantastic & I think Chandler might be a bigger factor than people are expecting - particularly in the red zone.

WR/RS Jalen Saunders to the Pats for a conditional draft pick.... I wonder if he'll make the team? LaFell was reportedley at practice, not sure how much he did. No word on Edelman... Boyce was finally cut.

We don't know where Lafell is yet. Without Lafell, Dola and Waynes roles would be completely different.

Gronk/Edelman > Lafell (not on pup) > Wayne > Dola/Lewis/Chandler

I think Chandler will be used closed to as much as Hernandez was, especially with few healthy WRs. Gronk and Edelman (if healthy) in the top target tier. LaFell (probably out for a while) and Chandler in the second tier. Everyone else used situationally including a rotation of receiving backs. So no one in a true Vereen role. Wayne and Amendola mostly along for the ride or fill ins for injured guys, but not regular snaps if everyone else healthy. Dobson probably sticks around due to the injuries but I think he had his chance the past couple years and could never stay on the field.

Id love for the Pats to work Chandler in to the offense, can't stop Gronk, how about a slightly slower, slightly bigger Gronk at the same time.

In other news, the Pats front 7 has looked AMAZING this preseason.

Article on their versatility shown so far.

So excited for this defense.

Flowers, Brown and Grissom have looked great on the field. Easley looks like he did in college. Chandler and Nink look good and I hate to say it, but Sheard has looked better than Nink. Love that Mayo and Collins will for sure be ready for week 1 and Hightower might be.

Pats flashed some NASCAR package usage against Carolina - this should be part of their defense. Nink, Chandler, Easley, Sheard, Flowers, Grissom, Collins, Hightower, definitely enough heads to make it work out of the 4-3 or 3-4. Some hybrid defenses as well, 46, 5-2 and 4-4.

Little concerned about the LB depth but I feel like they could get away with moving Grissom, Nink or Sheard to LB if necessary. But ####, they played most of last year with two LBs on the field, wouldn't be the end of the world.

Agree, Easley looked great last game... sacks are a comin'. Dion Lewis also very quick, Gray will contribute. Full speed ahead.

edit/ Another flier wr- Davaris Daniels.....

Users who are viewing this thread