What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (6 Viewers)

I'm glad for the outcome, the deal seems to be pretty good for both sides.

Only $3 mil guaranteed but pretty decent money if he performs.

The teams better off with him, thats for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pats should be able to make several more moves once they cut that bloated DL and send him and his greedy fat ### wife Bianca out of town.

I will take BJ Raja, Edleman, Guion, Bailey and Avant over retaining Vince.
Good news! You can share your thoughts on his wife face to face with her this year.

Surreal day in Boston yesterday. 9 alarm fire that claimed the lives of two firefighters occurred 4 doors down from Tom Brady's condo. He was there watching the whole thing unfold and was out on the street witnessing the fire and rescue crews struggle to contain the fire.

calm down Kool Aid ,we heard, lol. I'm kinda surprised but with upgraded corners and Vince clogging the middle, Mayo behind him... should be good.

Is there a chance to sign Wendell with remaining cap (I believe it is around $4m right now)?

Also, would it be any good for the team now to try to get Mathis for the 3rd round pick (#93 overall)?

I would rather them beefing up OL at this point.

I'm really hoping they focus on more immediate needs like weapons, specifically TE.

Depth is great, but I think we're in win now/soon mode.

Is there a chance to sign Wendell with remaining cap (I believe it is around $4m right now)?

Also, would it be any good for the team now to try to get Mathis for the 3rd round pick (#93 overall)?

I would rather them beefing up OL at this point.
Don't teams usually reserve about 5m for signing their rookies?

By reworking Wilfork's deal, they most likely freed up some cap space. If I were to guess, they could have saved $4.5 million against the cap this year by dropping his 2014 salary from $7.5 million to $3 million. I don't think incentives count against the cap initially, so some of his 2014 cap hit will be determined by what his actually salary was recalculated to for this year.

I also believe they can now divide up the remainder of his signing bonus when he signed his last deal ($3.6 million) across three years instead of having to take it all this year (so another $1.2 million in cap savings this year). I did not get a Masters in Capology, but it seems like they could have knocked his 2014 cap number from $11.6 million to something around $5.9 million. Bottom line, we will have to see how creative they got in their accounting once the full contract details and associated cap charges come out.

I'm really hoping they focus on more immediate needs like weapons, specifically TE.

Depth is great, but I think we're in win now/soon mode.
They score plenty of points, they need to keep focusing on the defense. A huge IF but a healthy Gronk provides them plenty of offensive weapons.

Areas that could still use some help:

*Pass rush...gotta get another edge rusher to go with Jones and Ninkovich...most important area to address (by far IMO)...a big time pass rush combined with the new pieces in the secondary can take this D to a level not seen since about 04...

*TE...need a legit receiving threat at this position...when Gronk went down it was as if this position became invincible...Gronk is the best in the game but you need another good one with his injury concerns...

*LB depth...with Spikes and Fletcher gone they are really thin here...it's not a question of will they add some pieces but who they are...

*Interior O line...gotta make a decision on Wendell at some point...an x-factor is if where they plan on playing Cannon...if they move him inside a third tackle becomes important...

*Interior D Line...a lot depends on what they think of guys like Armstead, Jones and Silaga but another quality body here wouldn't hurt...

*Safety...Gregory is gone, can't see them counting on Adrian Wilson and they have showed little faith in Tavon Wilson...I like Harmon but this position needs another quality player...

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be interesting to see if they get any cap relief from Aaron Hernandez. He is costing them $7.5+ million against the cap.

Looks like NE will save around $5 million toward the cap with the restructured Wilfork deal. The contract has built in weight and games played incentives.

Also sounds like Kraft said no way to signing Britt or Jackson.

Getting near the draft. Which players are on your wish list?

Playmaking TE. I'd even take Lyerla late, but of course Ebron would be a dream come true.

Tough running RB, I read that we are entertaining the idea of Michael Bush. Not interested in him. Could we take Jeremy Hill? I really like the way he runs the ball, for a bigger back, he is smooth.

Pass rusher - might Kony Ealy be available to us? It seems like it's a challenge to find playmaking pass rushers later in the draft.

Some might think we need a DT early, but Wilfork and Kelly missed something like 20 combined games last season and they are back. Yeah, I think Wilfork plays well next year. He may no longer be an All Pro, but I feel good about him. He's a true pro.

What LBs do you folks have interest in?

If he has gas in the tank I like this...add a veteran and a rookie with pass-rushing skills and this D has a chance to become legit (finally)...

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4760990/clayton-de-will-smith-visiting-pats?ex_cid=espnapi_public
Situational, low salary, 1 year is fine.
I would assume that would be the exact plan...hopefully they could get a year out of him (or someone like him) like they got out of Andre Carter a few years ago...

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/10886617/new-england-patriots-agree-smith

Pats sign Will Smith...really like this move...no guarantees coming off of an injury but I really like bringing in a veteran with high-end pass-rushing skills...I have felt for quite a few years that the Pats will not win another title until they have a legit pass rush...if they can grab a pass-rushing rookie to go with Jones, Ninkovich and Smith they could finally be in a position to get some real pressure on a QB come playoff crunch-time...that has been something they have not been able to generate for years...do that with a beefed up secondary and this team just might get over the hump...

IMO, the Pats biggest weakness has been having guys hurt in the post season. They always are a legit contender and should again be in the AFCC. With better health they can go even farther.

I like it too.

Not sure if Hageman will be there for NE, it would be sweet if one of those TEs

drops to them in the second round.

I like it too.

Not sure if Hageman will be there for NE, it would be sweet if one of those TEs

drops to them in the second round.
Agree on Hageman being on the board @ 29, but I think that teams go chalk (O & D line instead of X amount of WRs and the QBs) and that might squeeze out Hageman. Nix would be a option as well. I think Amaro is there for NE @ 62 if they go that way.

Doesn't really get the heart racing does it...hopefully Ridley can stop fumbling...the kid can play but the turnovers are a direct ticket to the bench...
Blech as well. There's no pattern to BB's roster at RB, but a big body like Bush is not that far off in a rotation reality. No long term deal or $. One dimensional grinder, no ST might not get him on the roster though.

Users who are viewing this thread