What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (3 Viewers)

Outstanding issues:

*Hightower-The big one...get him and everything else is gravy...lose him and there's a big hole to fill and I don't think the answer is currently on the roster...

*Butler-trade him/extend him/match an offer/bring him back for a year at low money...this could go in a few directions...

*Jimmy G-No need to expand on this...

*Blount-Re-sign or replace...

Was very pleased with yesterday (and the day before with Allen) but still a long way to go...
If they get Hightower back at a good price no matter what else happens the offseason is a win. And honestly, with Butler, sometimes the best course of action is to do nothing. Ditto Jimmy G.

I'd like to see them re-sign Blount cheap and draft a three-down RB from this class. Or sign Giliselee to offer sheet. They could very well need to replace FA Bolden who likely is looking for a nice little bump.

Would also be good to see them try to upgrade center. Mangold on short money would be fantastic.

And if there is smoke with the Cooks fire, probably means they will add a WR one way or the other. Question is it a younger guy like Woods (now gone) or just 1-2 mid-roster vet stop gap like Stevie Johnson?

Kony Ealy - DL - Patriots

Patriots acquired DE Kony Ealy and a third-round pick from the Panthers in exchange for a second-round selection

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

---------------------------------------------------------

Great acquisition to slide down 1/2 round.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Traded back a handful of spots to add a player that can be a difference maker. More excited about Ealy than I was Sheard.

Kony Ealy - DL - Patriots

Patriots acquired DE Kony Ealy and a third-round pick from the Panthers in exchange for a second-round selection

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

---------------------------------------------------------

Great acquisition to slide down 1/2 round.
I like it...he is a 25 year old with legit pass-rushing skills...they only had to move down 6 slots in the draft to acquire him...no risk at all here...

Traded back a handful of spots to add a player that can be a difference maker. More excited about Ealy than I was Sheard.
Almost the same guy...if Ealy can play like Sheard did his first year this will be a great deal...

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandin Cooks - WR - Patriots

Patriots acquired WR Brandin Cooks and a 2017 fourth-round pick from the Saints in exchange for a first and third-round pick in the 2017 draft

The Saints promised Cooks would be gone by the end of the day and they were true to their word. The rumor was that New England was looking to land Cooks for top corner Malcolm Butler but he's staying put. The Patriots are giving up some premium draft picks, but this is a big get. Cooks is coming off his second straight 1,000-yard season and now gives the Patriots another weapon alongside Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Chris Hogan and Malcolm Mitchell. New England has been the winner of free agency so far, landing top corner Stephon Gilmore and now acquiring Cooks for draft picks. Back in New Orleans, Michael Thomas and Willie Snead are both looking at a big boost in fantasy production with Cooks out of the picture.

Pats get Cooks and retain Butler, if they resign Hightower this offseason will have been a homerun. Trade Jimmy for the #12 and other picks and Belichick can call smudge

Patriots throwing around their draft picks early and often this offseason.

Gave up their 1st for Cooks (doesn't excite me ... seems like an unnecessary luxury)

Gave up their 2nd for Ealy ... granted they got back an early 3rd. (this move I love)

Almost seems like they are expecting to get back a 1st and a 2nd before the draft somehow. (#Garoppolo)

Patriots throwing around their draft picks early and often this offseason.

Gave up their 1st for Cooks (doesn't excite me ... seems like an unnecessary luxury)

Gave up their 2nd for Ealy ... granted they got back an early 3rd. (this move I love)

Almost seems like they are expecting to get back a 1st and a 2nd before the draft somehow. (#Garoppolo)
... or Malcolm Butler.  (1st round tender)

It is so enjoyable watching BB operate...he never, ever stops surprising...love what they are doing this off-season...

I like the win now attitude.
very "un-Patriot" like.

Seems Belichick is loading up for one last push before he retires.

Lost

M. Bennett TE

J. Sheard DE

L. Ryan CB

Added

Dwayne Allen TE

Kony Ealy DE

Stephon Gilmore CB

Brandon Cooks WR

So far they've upgraded at each position lost except the TE (imo).

very "un-Patriot" like.

Seems Belichick is loading up for one last push before he retires.

Lost

M. Bennett TE

J. Sheard DE

L. Ryan CB

Added

Dwayne Allen TE

Kony Ealy DE

Stephon Gilmore CB

Brandon Cooks WR

So far they've upgraded at each position lost except the TE (imo).
Yet, if you look at it they are all young guys (Cooks is their youngest WR) and only Gilmore is making big money right now...it is win now but not hurting later...

Ranked in Top 10 against the run. 
Huh? ... who ranked him in the top 10 vs the run?

He had 15 tackles / 14 assists in 16 games last year. How is that stopping the run? Maybe he scares the RB into the arms of his teamates?

I think whomever ranked Guy top 10 at anything forgot about a bunch of other guys.

1.Harrison, Damon NYG

2.Suh, Ndamukong MIA DT

3.Joseph, Linval MIN DT

4.Donald, Aaron RAM DT

5.Parry, David IND DT

6.Shelton, Danny CLE DT

7.Williams, Brandon BAL DT

8.Short, Kawann CAR DT

9.Fairley, Nick NOS DT

10.Hankins, Johnathan NYG DT

11.Jackson, Malik JAC DT

12.Cox, Fletcher PHI DT

They must have meant that he was top 10 DL against the run on his team (BAL)

Lets not get all homerific and sing Guys praises because the guy is now a Patriots. 

Huh? ... who ranked him in the top 10 vs the run?

He had 15 tackles / 14 assists in 16 games last year. How is that stopping the run? Maybe he scares the RB into the arms of his teamates?

I think whomever ranked Guy top 10 at anything forgot about a bunch of other guys.

1.Harrison, Damon NYG

2.Suh, Ndamukong MIA DT

3.Joseph, Linval MIN DT

4.Donald, Aaron RAM DT

5.Parry, David IND DT

6.Shelton, Danny CLE DT

7.Williams, Brandon BAL DT

8.Short, Kawann CAR DT

9.Fairley, Nick NOS DT

10.Hankins, Johnathan NYG DT

11.Jackson, Malik JAC DT

12.Cox, Fletcher PHI DT

They must have meant that he was top 10 DL against the run on his team (BAL)

Lets not get all homerific and sing Guys praises because the guy is now a Patriots. 
Pro Football Focus

I am convinced that every trade discussion with the Patriots starts with the Patriots calling the team and telling the opposing GM "We have pictures. If you do not want these shared with the world, you need to listen very carefully to the trade details you are about to accept." 

I am convinced that every trade discussion with the Patriots starts with the Patriots calling the team and telling the opposing GM "We have pictures. If you do not want these shared with the world, you need to listen very carefully to the trade details you are about to accept." 
:lmao:

To carry on a conversation that hijacked the Jimmy Garappolo thread...

Here's what I don't like about the Brandon Cooks trade:

Really doesn't bother me that they traded their 1st for a player. Just don't like the direction they went with it.

As I stated in the other thread, I already liked where they were at WR and would have preferred they use the 1.32 on a position of need.

I really thought they would pick up one of the stud TE's in the draft.

If not, then address the gaping hole at MLB. Even IF Hightower comes back, he's always been injury prone. 

Or even upgrade at OL ... wasn't fun watching Brady try to play the SB from his back for 2.5 qtrs.

5'10" 185 lbs ... Cooks doesn't posses the Julio Jones size that NE is lacking. They already have a bunch of these smurf WR's.

But he's fast ... yes, NE is lacking elite WR speed, but do you really want Brady holding the ball for 5 seconds waiting for this guy to run a 40 yard "go"?

That's not how NE does it. Get the ball out quick and neutralize the pass rush. That's what keeps Brady healthy.

BB will not use Cooks as a one dimensional deep threat, as Bossman suggests. 

In my opinion fe will bring versatility to the New England offense lining up in the slot, and running many andi varied  routes. 

Butler wants out of NE. Will be interesting how that gets facilitated. Sounds like he wants Gilmore type money. A team would have to give him a big contact and be willing to give their first rounder to NE. If they don't make the offer high enough, NE could just match it. 

Butler wants out of NE. Will be interesting how that gets facilitated. Sounds like he wants Gilmore type money. A team would have to give him a big contact and be willing to give their first rounder to NE. If they don't make the offer high enough, NE could just match it. 
I've heard some rumors. I can see it getting done but not for a 1st, although that's what he should be worth 

I've heard some rumors. I can see it getting done but not for a 1st, although that's what he should be worth 
Maybe they're banking on this (which is why they moved for Cooks).

Gilmore/Cooks/something before 1.32

for

Butler/1.32

Butler's only real option to force the issue is to sign an offer sheet elsewhere. If it is a low ball offer, NE could match. If it's for Top 5 CB money, NE would be happy with that team's #1 pick. Butler could refuse to sign the one year tender with NE and hold out, but he would have to play in enough games (6 games) to qualify for an accrued season to be able to become an UFA next year . . . and he could still be franchised. Butler doesn't have a lot of leverage.

Butler's only real option to force the issue is to sign an offer sheet elsewhere. If it is a low ball offer, NE could match. If it's for Top 5 CB money, NE would be happy with that team's #1 pick. Butler could refuse to sign the one year tender with NE and hold out, but he would have to play in enough games (6 games) to qualify for an accrued season to be able to become an UFA next year . . . and he could still be franchised. Butler doesn't have a lot of leverage.
Only other option (I think) is if they figure out a trade that does not involve a #1...kind of get the feeling there is a little more going on behind the scenes here...especially when you factor in how quickly Gilmore was signed...

Only other option (I think) is if they figure out a trade that does not involve a #1...kind of get the feeling there is a little more going on behind the scenes here...especially when you factor in how quickly Gilmore was signed...
I'm not sure that is even a possibility now that the Pats tendered him. However, even if it were why would the Pats agree to it? The Pats have the leverage here, they will let Butler's agent try to work deals from teams willing to pay him top QB dollar and give up a 1st round pick to NE...good luck. 

Here is a nice article about Malcom Butlers agent - Derek Simpson

http://sportsagentblog.com/2015/02/04/malcolm-butlers-agent-derek-simpson-closes-2014-nfl-season-on-super-note/

Seems that he's new to the sports agent thing and Butler is the only player that he represents.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Patriots were trying to take advantage of this noob. 

The agent stands to get 2% (?) of Butlers deal ... so playing "hard to get" for an extra $2m a year would mean an EXTRA $40k per year in his pocket.

A nice payday for a guy that went into this as a hobby.

I'm not sure that is even a possibility now that the Pats tendered him. However, even if it were why would the Pats agree to it? The Pats have the leverage here, they will let Butler's agent try to work deals from teams willing to pay him top QB dollar and give up a 1st round pick to NE...good luck. 
I believe hey can trade him once he signs the tender...why wouldn't if they see a deal they liked better than a #1...all reports seems to indicate that they were doing just thought with Cooks but the fact he had not signed the tender made it a moot point... 

They can trade him once he signs the tender...why wouldn't if they see a deal they liked better than a #1...all reports seems to indicate that they were doing just thought with Cooks but the fact he had not signed the tender made it a moot point... 
I guess it is possible but why would the Pats want to trade him once he has signed the tender? They will have him for a little over 3M which will be an amazing bargain.  I understand why Butler wants out of town as he wants to get paid but I don't get the Pats motivation to ship him out.  Butler is free to sign anywhere he wants right now but obviously the cost of giving up a #1 and signing him to a market deal has scared teams away.  Malcolm should be pissed at the player's union not the Pats for his current situation.

I guess it is possible but why would the Pats want to trade him once he has signed the tender? They will have him for a little over 3M which will be an amazing bargain.  I understand why Butler wants out of town as he wants to get paid but I don't get the Pats motivation to ship him out.  Butler is free to sign anywhere he wants right now but obviously the cost of giving up a #1 and signing him to a market deal has scared teams away.  Malcolm should be pissed at the player's union not the Pats for his current situation.
If they did I'm guessing it is because they don't intend to keep him past this year and they might be able to add a nice piece that will have more of a long-term impact (and if it's a rookie it will be someone making low money for awhile)...I'm good with whatever happens here...keep him and you have a big-time set of CBs for at least one year...if he signs a reasonable contract with another team you have the right to match...move him and you get something of good value in return...as you say they have the leverage here...

This CB situation is odd IMO- makes me wonder if they thought they had a deal in place for Butler in the Cooks trade but maybe NO wasn't able to work out an extension with him or something. I can't imagine Butler is asking for more than they gave Gilmore, and wouldn't you rather have Butler between the two?

This CB situation is odd IMO- makes me wonder if they thought they had a deal in place for Butler in the Cooks trade but maybe NO wasn't able to work out an extension with him or something. I can't imagine Butler is asking for more than they gave Gilmore, and wouldn't you rather have Butler between the two?
The issue from what I am reading is Butler wants to be paid like he is unrestricted which he is not...if the Pats are gonna extend him they would like a little discount because they are tearing up a low-money year...

The issue from what I am reading is Butler wants to be paid like he is unrestricted which he is not...if the Pats are gonna extend him they would like a little discount because they are tearing up a low-money year...
I get that they have leverage, but they just gave Gilmore a huge contract- all else equal, wouldn't you have rather spent that money (likely a decent amount less) on Butler instead?

There are a lot of moving parts, but according to his agent they haven't even discussed a contract extension since last year.

I get that they have leverage, but they just gave Gilmore a huge contract- all else equal, wouldn't you have rather spent that money (likely a decent amount less) on Butler instead?

There are a lot of moving parts, but according to his agent they haven't even discussed a contract extension since last year.
One is unrestricted and the other is not...they get treated differently...

Users who are viewing this thread