What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (2 Viewers)

My :2cents:

With the exception of BB intentionally trying to lose the home opener (which u seem 2 b suggesting, not happening) anything is possible. I don't see Hill and the relatively slight KC edge on DEF making up for the huge NE edge on offense playing at home. Obviously anything could happen but a blowout much more like imho than a KC win and I would be wanting more than 7. GL
You may be right.  It will be interesting to see which direction this line moves.

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page and understands how things work, "Slipping" a guy to the practice squad is essentially a term that carries little meaning. All players on every practice squad are street free agents. They can be signed by any team at any time (provided they are placed on the new team's 53-man roster). Even if a player makes it through waivers to get on to the practice squad, another team can claim that player at any time.

So if DJ Foster or Austin Carr were on the Patriots practice squad and another team had no depth at RB or WR, they could snatch those guys away at any point. There is some honor among thieves and it doesn't happen often, but it does happen from time to time.
FTR, I think most understand "slip" in this context means slip him through waivers to get him to the PS ("slip" is used by many in this context all the time). I guess i could have said slip AND keep him on the PS. I will try to be more thorough next time ;)

My point was, all players on practice squads are free agents. They are not protected by being on a practice squad. So all the terms like sneak, stash, hide don't apply. Any team can claim practice squad players at any time. 

Rookie DE Derek Rivers likely done for season with knee injury. 
The Patriots are a little this up front between injuries and retirements. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them acquire some help in a trade or picking up a vet once other teams make their cuts.

My point was, all players on practice squads are free agents. They are not protected by being on a practice squad. So all the terms like sneak, stash, hide don't apply. Any team can claim practice squad players at any time. 
 Yes, I understand your point that there might be some people who don't know that PS guys can be signed anytime, though i tend to believe most people probably understand that.

What I don't understand is the insistence that the terms being used by virtually the entire football world (slip, sneak, stash) when describing initially getting players to the PS aren't valid. You will read and hear nfl people (writers talking heads etc) use those exact terms again and again in the next several weeks. You are correct, you do have a semantic/technical (albeit rather trivial) point, but so what? Will you be writing letters to sports writers and calling radio stations to get them to stop using these offensive technically inaccurate terms? Or more likely is this really just a anarchy ner thing.

Regulars know me as a Pats homer...curious for your reactions to the following....

I see the Pats (-7 at home) losing the season opener to the Chiefs.  Hill wild card plus Chiefs defense and the rest of the roster at full strength...not to mention I wouldn't put it past BB to want there to be a teaching moment early on to address the whole undefeated season crap.

Considering taking KC straight up.
KC is going to get crushed.  I'm going by at least 2 TDs.  

Former Patriots Lester Williams (NT) passed away on Wednesday (58).  He played on the Pats from 82-85, which is before my time.  Anyone remember his play?  I like to hear about how folks who I never got to see play for the team were viewed during there time.  

Regulars know me as a Pats homer...curious for your reactions to the following....

I see the Pats (-7 at home) losing the season opener to the Chiefs.  Hill wild card plus Chiefs defense and the rest of the roster at full strength...not to mention I wouldn't put it past BB to want there to be a teaching moment early on to address the whole undefeated season crap.

Considering taking KC straight up.
what?

that's nonsense.BB cares about wins, whether it's 16-0 or 12-4, he wants to win.he's not going to lose just for the sake of it..how often in his HC career has BB actually LOST a home opener, where favored by 7 or more?

forget the Chiefs, man,they might be one of the worst teams this season.you really believe an unpolished gem like Hill is suddenly going to shine like a star? he didn't do it last week, he looked lost at times. and you KNOW Hey Kool Aid will find a way to lose in the end, whether its clock mgmt or just bad play calling..how many times has Reid actually beaten BB? has he ever done it? c'mon now.

you're :loco:  to bet against the Pats, banner raising night,home opener..jees..thats as bad as picking McGregor to beat Mayweather..

what?

that's nonsense.BB cares about wins, whether it's 16-0 or 12-4, he wants to win.he's not going to lose just for the sake of it..how often in his HC career has BB actually LOST a home opener, where favored by 7 or more?

forget the Chiefs, man,they might be one of the worst teams this season.

you really believe an unpolished gem like Hill is suddenly going to shine like a star? he didn't do it last week, he looked lost at times.

and you KNOW Hey Kool Aid will find a way to lose in the end, whether its clock mgmt or just bad play calling..

how many times has Reid actually beaten BB? has he ever done it? c'mon now.

you're :loco:  to bet against the Pats, banner raising night,home opener..jees..thats as bad as picking McGregor to beat Mayweather..
I've bolded your points, individually, as I think they speak for themselves.

Oh, and this:

A 2014/09/29 New England Patriots 14 - Kansas City Chiefs 41 L

I've bolded your points, individually, as I think they speak for themselves.

Oh, and this:

A 2014/09/29 New England Patriots 14 - Kansas City Chiefs 41 L
Pats in NE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pats in KC.

Brady vs. KC in NE: 4-0, average score 30-17 (includes ACL game).
Brady vs. KC in KC: 1-2, average score 19-29.

NE_REVIVAL said:
FTR, I think most understand "slip" in this context means slip him through waivers to get him to the PS ("slip" is used by many in this context all the time). I guess i could have said slip AND keep him on the PS. I will try to be more thorough next time ;)
I also believe they have to offer a contract among the 53 to take a ps player (e.g. Charles Johnson from GB to CLE a few years back)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anarchy99 said:
Pats in NE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pats in KC.

Brady vs. KC in NE: 4-0, average score 30-17 (includes ACL game).
Brady vs. KC in KC: 1-2, average score 19-29.
Excessive use of greater thans.

My point to Tanner123456, who apparently is an Eagles fan (irrational hatred of Andy Reid), is that is arguments were a little over the top.

2nd team looked a little off a times throughout the game last night. Garoppolo and Carr seem to have some chemistry together. Brissett's fumble at the end of the game as a hell of a weird way to end it, lol.

Rex Burkhead seeing time with the 1s was pretty notable, looked really good. Willing to run inside, can catch the ball well. More I see the RBs, the more I see it's just gonna be a full blown RBBC and to avoid the entire mess. Gillislee has been injured but Burkhead can run + catch, James White can catch, and Dion Lewis can run + catch. I still think Bolden ends up getting cut after Belichick eluded to Burkhead being a "4 Down" back and seeing time on ST.

Elandon Roberts going down with another injury is worrying. Hope he can stay healthy and he doesn't suffer something serious.

Rumblings that Reggie Ragland of Buffalo could be traded or cut. Curious if Belichick makes a move for him given his Alabama ties and the fact that he can play inside or outside and add depth.

Well, Edelman just went down non-contact, commentators said it was a knee, he didnt look especially mad or in pian but they did cart him from the sideline to lockerroom.

In other news, Brady to Hogan - 2 TDs in 2 plays. Hogan looks like a ### #### machine.

They ran it with Dion Lewis in between the 20s, James White in between the 20-5, then gave Gillislee a goal line touchdown (after White ran to the 1)

Then ran the exact same play with Gillislee for the 2pt conversion.

Silly to think the Pats will need to bring in a free agent WR or line up a RB in the slot now that Incredleman is lost.

NFL teams are allowed 5 pass eligible players on the field.

Base 1TE would now be: Cooks, Hogan, Mitchel ... Gronk and RB

4WR set: Amendola in for Gronk

Empty backfield: Amendola in for RB

5 WR set: Why take Gronk off the field in a passing situation? ...... but if you insist White, Lewis, Burkhead I suppose

I'm guessing they will again use a fair share of 2 TE sets which would then have Mitchel sidelined. Plenty of WR's still.

The question becomes who takes Edelman's roster spot...it is very intriguing...you have WRs like Carr and Lucien, an RB/do it all in DJ Foster or maybe it's Hollister...a few different directions they can go here...

Marquis Flowers - LB - Patriots

Patriots acquired LB Marquis Flowers from the Bengals in exchange for a seventh-round pick.

The pick is likely conditional. A sixth-round pick in 2014, Flowers has mostly contributed on special teams so far in his career.

Related: Bengals

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

Aug 29 - 9:02 AM

Interested in what they'll do with DJ Foster who looks better than Carr. He can play both wr or rb, I can see him making the cut with his versatility and the Edelman injury.

Interested in what they'll do with DJ Foster who looks better than Carr. He can play both wr or rb, I can see him making the cut with his versatility and the Edelman injury.
I have heard a lot of discussion on who gets Edelman's roster spot, but it may not be a WR or RB. It may be an extra LB or D-lineman until they straighten out the defensive rotation to start the year.

I have heard a lot of discussion on who gets Edelman's roster spot, but it may not be a WR or RB. It may be an extra LB or D-lineman until they straighten out the defensive rotation to start the year.
I could easily see that especially if Mitchell can play week 1...there was a trade yesterday and I still would not be surprised to see another one...

This kid is so intriguing...I would love to know what they really feel about him...he makes zero $ so if he worked out that would be another plus...

This kid is so intriguing...I would love to know what they really feel about him...he makes zero $ so if he worked out that would be another plus...
I know they like Foster, but I wonder if they are concerned about his ability to hold on to the football. He's played sparingly in the preseason last year and this year and has 2 fumbles in his 5 preseason games (33 carries and 21 receptions between both preseasons).

I really don't know if that is better, worse, or average in terms of coughing up the ball, but if we know anything about BB, turnovers will get you benched.

I know they like Foster, but I wonder if they are concerned about his ability to hold on to the football. He's played sparingly in the preseason last year and this year and has 2 fumbles in his 5 preseason games (33 carries and 21 receptions between both preseasons).

I really don't know if that is better, worse, or average in terms of coughing up the ball, but if we know anything about BB, turnovers will get you benched.
That is why I would love to know what they really think...the kid has a "dynamic" quality about him but I'm not sure they trust him...with Edelman hurt we'll know soon enough because there is an opening if they do want to keep him...

i have stashed  R Burkhead & D Lewis in a deep bench league (standard).....

will they have spot start value, or should i try to package them to the MG owner while they have some value to him?

I heart BB when he talks X's and O's. Just heard radio interview with Hoodie and morphed into 15 minute discussion on Randy Moss. Said Moss is the smartest receiver he's ever seen. 

Mentioned that when Moss came to town, he watched film with BB and identified on the fly audibles while running routes, essentially having 6 variations literally step by step based on positioning and coverage. Bill said they basically rewrote patterns and route trees based on what he knew and could identify on how to beat defenses. 

Remember this is a team that has a playbook the size of Texas, and someone getting Bill to reinvent himself is nothing short of spectacular. 

Awesome discussion. 

I heart BB when he talks X's and O's. Just heard radio interview with Hoodie and morphed into 15 minute discussion on Randy Moss. Said Moss is the smartest receiver he's ever seen. 

Mentioned that when Moss came to town, he watched film with BB and identified on the fly audibles while running routes, essentially having 6 variations literally step by step based on positioning and coverage. Bill said they basically rewrote patterns and route trees based on what he knew and could identify on how to beat defenses. 

Remember this is a team that has a playbook the size of Texas, and someone getting Bill to reinvent himself is nothing short of spectacular. 

Awesome discussion. 
For all the "on to Cincinnati" press conferences there really is no better interview then BB when it is a topic he wants to discuss and is passionate about...it can be mesmerizing...

Users who are viewing this thread