Notorious T.R.E.

NEWZA -- 14 men enter. 13 leave. Auction Over

1,935 posts in this topic

What does FAAB stand for, exactly?

Free Agent Acquisition Budget.

And speaking of which - if you run out of FAAB money, are you still able to pickup players if no one else bids on them?

Free Agent Acquisition Budget.And speaking of which - if you run out of FAAB money, are you still able to pickup players if no one else bids on them?
Yes, iirc there is FCFS period after bidding

Also if you pick up a player after a certain date, I think it was in August, they are not keepable the following year

Edited by Kraft...

Free Agent Acquisition Budget.And speaking of which - if you run out of FAAB money, are you still able to pickup players if no one else bids on them?
Yes, iirc there is FCFS period after bidding

Also if you pick up a player after a certain date, I think it was in August, they are not keepable the following year

Right, I think the date was 7/31

however, lets say you pickup a player on fcfs waiver - is there a dollar amount to keep for next year?

I believe in the rules I posted on page 1 - there were no FCFS pickups, only the twice weekly FAAB run (Friday and Sunday). Those rules are only there as an example of how the old league worked though. We should definitely work out what makes the most sense for FA pickups. Also, I am not in charge, as my days are too pwned by work anymore. I am merely another league member and special consultant to the commissioner. Happy to help guide and clarify on any of these rules though, as I pulled a lot of of them out of my culo in the first place.

FCFS anyone?

I believe in the rules I posted on page 1 - there were no FCFS pickups, only the twice weekly FAAB run (Friday and Sunday). Those rules are only there as an example of how the old league worked though. We should definitely work out what makes the most sense for FA pickups. Also, I am not in charge, as my days are too pwned by work anymore. I am merely another league member and special consultant to the commissioner. Happy to help guide and clarify on any of these rules though, as I pulled a lot of of them out of my culo in the first place.

I have a local league that is very similar to this one and we do Mon/Thurs FAAB bidding, no FCFS. Twice a week is nice to make sure you're not more than a couple days without a player due to injury and FAAB is good because it ensures every player has a salary amount.

We use fantrax for that league and at the time I set it up you couldn't do a hybrid with FAAB/FCFS, but maybe you can now. I suspect Yahoo won't be that flexible towards this, but after the auction we're free to take our ball and go anywhere, really.

Yeah we might end up just wanting to pitch in and let CBS bend us over. We'll see how Yahoo is

Yeah we might end up just wanting to pitch in and let CBS bend us over. We'll see how Yahoo is

X also might be able to hook us up on CBS.

Why such small rosters? (3xOF, no MI or CI)

and what's up with the SP and RP slots?

Is that on yahoo? If so, it's wrong.

OK.

OK, so where are the real rules?

Are the five bench spots auctioned or drafted? If the latter, how are their prices set?

So many questions.

Hammering it out!

OK.

OK, so where are the real rules?

Are the five bench spots auctioned or drafted? If the latter, how are their prices set?

It looks like it changed everything I had set up...maybe because I changed the auction date, I don't know.

Here's the roster reqs:

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL

Also had to switch back to OBP

Batters Stat Categories: Runs ®, Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), On-base Percentage (OBP) Pitchers Stat Categories:

Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP

Edited by Notorious T.R.E.

Right now I have a 1500 IP cap on and daily roster changes. I know these have been Zilla bugaboos in the past. So maybe we need to chat more on those topics.

Advantage to weekly: Laziness, avoid having to constantly research players

Advantage to daily: get hurt dudes out asap, play traded guys asap, etc.

The innings cap helps to avoid streaming starters to gain points in Wins/Ks, but having FAAB only and just twice weekly also limits how much you can stream, so maybe it's redundant.

Right now I have a 1500 IP cap on and daily roster changes. I know these have been Zilla bugaboos in the past. So maybe we need to chat more on those topics.

The innings cap helps to avoid streaming starters to gain points in Wins/Ks, but having FAAB only and just twice weekly also limits how much you can stream, so maybe it's redundant.

Yeah, I vote daily rosters. I'm pretty lazy anyway, but having a guy get injured on Tuesday and miss the rest of the week is the worst. With FAAB only, it's also extremely difficult to be streaming pitchers/hitters each week.

And Eephus asked before, but can you confirm that the auction budget includes all starters and bench players?

Yeah, I vote daily rosters. I'm pretty lazy anyway, but having a guy get injured on Tuesday and miss the rest of the week is the worst. With FAAB only, it's also extremely difficult to be streaming pitchers/hitters each week.

And Eephus asked before, but can you confirm that the auction budget includes all starters and bench players?

Yes, $260 auction budget for all 30 players (23 starters and 7 bench)

I strongly prefer daily rosters. It eliminates the two starts/week nonsense and gives more value to platoon players.

I'm not a huge fan of FAAB but will tolerate if it's the majority position. I do think that only players picked in the pre-season auction should be eligible as keepers.

This is going to extend the auction. I'm on the west coast so I don't really care but it's starting at 8:30 EST and is going to run into the wee hours.

I'd propose auctioning off the 23 starters with a $260 budget and then hold the 7 round reserve draft on this board. This is a throwback to the original Rotisserie rules from the 80s. Players picked in the reserve draft or picked up during the season would be ineligible for keepers.

Eephus' way would definitely simplify some things and make it easier to play on a free site. We have time to discuss these rules.

I strongly prefer daily rosters. It eliminates the two starts/week nonsense and gives more value to platoon players.

I'm not a huge fan of FAAB but will tolerate if it's the majority position. I do think that only players picked in the pre-season auction should be eligible as keepers.

Love FAAB, what's not to like? It takes away the rat race to be the first to grab someone.

I guess we could discuss only keeping those you've won in auction, but I think the FAAB pickup keeper works well. We generally have a freeze date in mid-late August where players acquired can no longer be kept.

This is going to extend the auction. I'm on the west coast so I don't really care but it's starting at 8:30 EST and is going to run into the wee hours.

I'd propose auctioning off the 23 starters with a $260 budget and then hold the 7 round reserve draft on this board. This is a throwback to the original Rotisserie rules from the 80s. Players picked in the reserve draft or picked up during the season would be ineligible for keepers.

I'd be ok with this if the 7 round reserve guys were all a buck or something. Heck, we could slow auction the leftover a thread or something too.

Ideally, we just knock it all out in one night though. I know we could be talking past midnight for the east coasters. I'm going to hop on a mock auction on yahoo if I can to see how long it takes and how it functions.

My local version of this format is going on 5 years and Zilla's version is still going with the philly group and DD, so it's a pretty tried and true league format...by far my favorite. The 9-12 keepers really gives everyone a pretty decent shot year in and year out as there's always some good players going back in the pool.

One spot left in CIRCUS CATCH mock auction...2 mins!

This yahoo software is pretty slick.

We've auctioned off 4 players in about 5 mins.

This yahoo software is pretty slick.

We've auctioned off 4 players in about 5 mins.

Still holding to about a pick a minute here. On the 20th player. I assume it will get much faster too when the bigger names are gone.

If we can make FAAB work, that's great. I still don't agree with equating auction and FAAB salaries for keeper purposes. The bidding dynamics for the pre-season auction and FAAB aren't the same.

One of the challenges in keeping a keeper league running is to manage inflation, particularly if there's some turnover in ownership. Allowing mid-season pickups to be kept leads to prospect speculation and increases the potential for tanking.

To fast?

No, I think it works well. I suggest peeps give it a try, but it's really intuitive.

I do only have one player so far. :unsure:

If we can make FAAB work, that's great. I still don't agree with equating auction and FAAB salaries for keeper purposes. The bidding dynamics for the pre-season auction and FAAB aren't the same.

One of the challenges in keeping a keeper league running is to manage inflation, particularly if there's some turnover in ownership. Allowing mid-season pickups to be kept leads to prospect speculation and increases the potential for tanking.

You're all sunshine.

Down to $1 players for a few teams on a 12 team/23 man roster auction mock on yahoo. About 2:40, not bad.

If you make the FA keeper eligibility cutoff July 31st it works well. A lot of teams are still in the mix and I have released guys in August I regret releasing later.

Edited by Doctor Detroit

Down to $1 players for a few teams on a 12 team/23 man roster auction mock on yahoo. About 2:40, not bad.

Your team sucks

It seems like we should be able to finish before midnight EST

The only-keep-9-12 angle, with the scaling salary increases and 5 year max, is really what makes the league unique, and future auctions will take less time. It all works with the FAAB and actually makes that whole process a little more interesting.

Does anybody else have thoughts on the in-season acquisition process? We had been running it on Fri and Sun, TRE was suggesting, or had been using different days I think, it's all the same to me. Friday & Sunday go back to our days of having weekly scoring periods, something we probably aren't doing here.

Edited by JZilla

here are some random thoughts form the peanut gallery

-I certainly don't mind if we choose to auction off the entire 30 players. The auction will run late, but all the more chance for Tre and Stryker to get 8 sheets to the wind and make turrrrible bids. :thumbup: BUT, my concern there is that there will be a LOT of $1 players late which will give too many bargains for keepers in subsequent years. A $260 budget for the starting 23 should work well, and every team may have a few good keepers, bumping this budget to 30 players is going to really allow a lot of players to go for < $3 at auction.

-The issue with running a reserve draft is assigning values for future years to reserve players. Perhaps we can assign a value to all reserve players who may want to be kept at $XX dollars? This may speed the auction process, while allowing teams to pick reserves that can a) both help current roster weaknesses and b) have future value?

-I really do like FAAB because of all the previously listed reasons - guys running to waiver wires, streaming players, etc.. Helps lazy owners have a bit more of a chance to bid on a brought up player, etc... as opposed to someone who can scour the Internets all week long. Further, it will help future leagues to assign values to new players that may or not be kept.

-If running FAAB twice per week has worked in the past, I'm certainly not one to rock the boat, I say go for it. I think Sunday should be one of the days, as a guy that is in multiple leagues, basically I spend an hour or so sunday night just poring over all of my leagues to setup the week ahead. The other day I'm open, Wed, Thur, Fri is fine.

-Are we still doing weekly scoring periods?

Well, we only need to auction off the full 30 this one time.. subsequent years it will be a lot more smooth

-Are we still doing weekly scoring periods?

I will let someone else make that call, it was something we came up with that turned out to be kind of fun. I enjoyed it more when we were doing weekly lineups, that made every week sort of like one extended "game" against everybody else.