What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New TV advice? Size? 3D vs 2D? (1 Viewer)

Mad Cow

Welshers and Dawdlers Beware!
Ready to graduate from the 50" LCD that my daughter's friend scratched several years ago. Wanting to get 60+" LED. Looking for suggestions on value. I am interested in the 3D vs 2D aspect. I do not own any 3D blu-rays currently, and while I enjoy an occasional 3D movie, it is not essential. I guess the question becomes is this a fad that soon disappears, so just avoid it for now, or will it continue to get better and more widely adopted, so jump in now?

Thanks

3D technology isn't there... I bought a 3D TV in 2010 it was right when the 3D slim TVs came out, I've watched 3D like 10 times in 4 years.

With that being said, it comes with just about every TV - My buddy just picked a Vizio M series & I don't think you can beat the value, I really like this TV.

http://store.vizio.com/mseries/m601da3r.html

3D technology isn't there... I bought a 3D TV in 2010 it was right when the 3D slim TVs came out, I've watched 3D like 10 times in 4 years.

With that being said, it comes with just about every TV - My buddy just picked a Vizio M series & I don't think you can beat the value, I really like this TV.

http://store.vizio.com/mseries/m601da3r.html
Less than $1300 is not bad at all. I had looked at that one, but was wondering if it would be better to save a few hundred and go without the 3d.

With that being said, it comes with just about every TV - My buddy just picked a Vizio M series & I don't think you can beat the value, I really like this TV.http://store.vizio.com/mseries/m601da3r.html
Less than $1300 is not bad at all. I had looked at that one, but was wondering if it would be better to save a few hundred and go without the 3d.
You def don't need the 3D... I was very impressed by my buddies, great picture on this TV... I've got a high end Samsung and couldn't tell the difference. You might want to invest in a sound bar, but not completely necessary.

With that being said, it comes with just about every TV - My buddy just picked a Vizio M series & I don't think you can beat the value, I really like this TV.http://store.vizio.com/mseries/m601da3r.html
You def don't need the 3D... I was very impressed by my buddies, great picture on this TV... I've got a high end Samsung and couldn't tell the difference. You might want to invest in a sound bar, but not completely necessary.
We have it already set up with a nice receiver and surround, so that shouldn't be a problem. I have the old TV to sell to offset, as well as a very nice 40" LG LED that sells on Amazon for $400. Between the 2, I could get the new one for $5-600.

I'm in need of a 50-55" smart tv. No 3d. Will be in a room with lots of windows. Under $1000. Suggestions?
http://store.vizio.com/mseries/m551da2r.htmlCan't beat it for the price.
Bought this one (E5501-a0 - 2D) from Costco for ~$750. A couple months ago, the price has come down. Worth a membership to Costco if you don't have one!
How much is a costco membership these days?Both are similar to this Samsung: http://m.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-un55f6300/35647894

The key for me is performance in a bright room.

What's the differ wce between 240 and 120 hz now?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in need of a 50-55" smart tv. No 3d. Will be in a room with lots of windows. Under $1000. Suggestions?
Bought this one (E5501-a0 - 2D) from Costco for ~$750. A couple months ago, the price has come down. Worth a membership to Costco if you don't have one!
How much is a costco membership these days?Both are similar to this Samsung: http://m.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-un55f6300/35647894

Most TV is broadcast in 60hz.

$55/year. At Costco they double the warranty automatically, in addition you can buy a 3 year warranty for $60 giving you 5 years for $60. They also have a very good return policy.

Really leaning towards this one that was already linked. $1300 at Costco.
What is the difference between the Vizio M and E series? The E series are $3-400 less for the same size.
Looks like 3D, the razor thin dealio and a few other features.
Gotcha wouldn't pay that just for the 3D.
Looking at reviews, there seems to be a pretty large disparity in picture quality and wifi performance.

Wow! $950 for this Sharp AQUOS, PLUS a $200 Dell gift card.

ETA consumer reviews seem to be a little unfavorable on this one.

Mad Cow said:

That is an EXCELLENT price on it (in fact, I just ordered). I have the older Sharp 60 inch and it's a fantastic TV. This thing has solid reviews at BB (4.5) and a very good CNET review as well. I'd jump all over this...actually, I did!!.

Mad Cow said:

That is an EXCELLENT price on it (in fact, I just ordered). I have the older Sharp 60 inch and it's a fantastic TV. This thing has solid reviews at BB (4.5) and a very good CNET review as well. I'd jump all over this...actually, I did!!.
If I were going to get that, I would be more tempted to get this at Costco and not bother with the Dell gift card.

Mad Cow said:
I have the 65" version of that one and love it.

Vizio just announced last month that they will have 4k LEDs for incredible prices soon, so if you can hold out a couple months, I would strongly consider it.

Mad Cow said:

Vizio just announced last month that they will have 4k LEDs for incredible prices soon, so if you can hold out a couple months, I would strongly consider it.
4k is useless... Absolutely no content for it and very little on the horizon.

Mad Cow said:

Do you use the 3D at all? Worth the $600 extra?

Mad Cow said:
I have the 65" version of that one and love it.Vizio just announced last month that they will have 4k LEDs for incredible prices soon, so if you can hold out a couple months, I would strongly consider it.
Bought a 3d tv a couple years back... Never bought glasses. No urge to buy them either. Meh.

Didn't espn cancel their espn3d?

Mad Cow said:
I have the 65" version of that one and love it.Vizio just announced last month that they will have 4k LEDs for incredible prices soon, so if you can hold out a couple months, I would strongly consider it.
Bought a 3d tv a couple years back... Never bought glasses. No urge to buy them either. Meh.

Didn't espn cancel their espn3d?
Yep. Pretty sure there are no 3D channels anymore. Unless its some random one.

If you're looking for a TV to keep for several years and care a lot about picture quality, you should be looking at the top end Samsungs, LGs, Sonys and Sharps. With those, however, you'll be getting the 3D "for free" as they don't put the same top end PQ in the non-3D SKUs. You'll also be getting the "Smart TV" internet connected features for free as well for the same reasons.

If you're interested in 3D, wait until the 4K TVs come out and they come with the polarized glasses. For ease of use and cost, consumers like the polarized glasses over the active shutter glasses, but polarized glasses cut the vertical resolution for each eye in half. 4K will fix that.

Mad Cow said:

If I were going to get that, I would be more tempted to get this at Costco and not bother with the Dell gift card.
Sure, but you're not comparing apples to apples. That Sharp is $999 everywhere, so this is 25% off when you factor in the gift card. The Costco price isn't anything special as that same TV is only $799 at BestBuy. Comparing the specs, it may be the same price but not as good of a TV. Also, as I mentioned, I already have a Sharp and the picture quality is excellent.

Thoughts on the Samsung 60" plasmas that you see for sub-$1000? Costco has one for about $975 and I am intrigued. Not a smart TV, but what advantages would there be of plasma vs LED?

So my new house that I'm renting has a 400sq ft great room. Its awesome. But one wall is all windows.

What type of tv should I buy and is it better to place it on the window wall or a wall perpendicular to the window wall?

So my new house that I'm renting has a 400sq ft great room. Its awesome. But one wall is all windows.

What type of tv should I buy and is it better to place it on the window wall or a wall perpendicular to the window wall?
I'd look at an LED. LEDs are better for brighter rooms than a Plasma. I'd try to place it where there would be the least amount of glare on the screen.

Thoughts on the Samsung 60" plasmas that you see for sub-$1000? Costco has one for about $975 and I am intrigued. Not a smart TV, but what advantages would there be of plasma vs LED?
Plasmas are great for basements and areas that don't get a bunch of light. I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma and the pciture on it is amazing. I wouldn't worry about having a smart TV. All it takes is buying Chromecast for $35 and you have a smart TV.

I'd look at an LED. LEDs are better for brighter rooms than a Plasma. I'd try to place it where there would be the least amount of glare on the screen.
I guess the question is whether there is more glare in front of the large windows themselves or on a wall perpendicular to them, and further away from them, but the windows will still shine light from the side and almost rear still.

I guess the question is whether there is more glare in front of the large windows themselves or on a wall perpendicular to them, and further away from them, but the windows will still shine light from the side and almost rear still.
You could always just move it around and see which spot works best and then just put it there. But definitely go the LED route for bright rooms. With a plasma in a room like that, you'd get a pretty big glare on the TV thr whole time.

Plasmas are great for basements and areas that don't get a bunch of light. I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma and the pciture on it is amazing. I wouldn't worry about having a smart TV. All it takes is buying Chromecast for $35 and you have a smart TV.
I agree with Panasonic plasma's being amazing.. they are one of the leaders in plasmas. Also agree with the Chromecast but it seems very hard to find non-smart TV's these days unless you're buying a off brand

I agree with Panasonic plasma's being amazing.. they are one of the leaders in plasmas. Also agree with the Chromecast but it seems very hard to find non-smart TV's these days unless you're buying a off brand
I just bought a 50" LG LED 2 weeks ago that wasn't a smart TV. They are a little tougher to find; I found mine on Amazon.

I just bought a 50" LG LED 2 weeks ago that wasn't a smart TV. They are a little tougher to find; I found mine on Amazon.
is it 240?

is it 240?
Nah 120. I think 120 is more than enough. 50" LG 1080p 120hz for $599

Sears had a 55" 4K tv listed yesterday for $600
I keep seeing that pop up on there. Never heard of the brand and the reviews on it seemed mixed. Problem is there isn't much to watch on 4k yet so it would be hard to tell how good the picture is

I've got a huge family room with one wall all windows, too. I've put my LED backlit TV in the corner, mounted on a stand. One of the walls making the corner is the windowed wall, so there's no direct glare.

Unfortunately they aren't making them anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread