What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (5 Viewers)

What’s your process for a fast flat on WSM? Have me curious 👍🏼
Fat cap up (pretty side down) for 2.5 hours at 300 -325 to build up some crust/ smoke ring. Flip over into pan and add Vidalia onion slices and 6- 10  ounces of beer. (Nothing dark or sour)

Brisket at 2.5 hours

Leave uncovered for hour, then add more beer and foil over top.

After another 1.5 hours check to see how easily thermometer slides into brisket. When done pull off and remove the small piece of point for burnt ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! So 5-6ish hours? That’s solid. Does the bath effectively hold off drying that sometimes happens with just a flat?

Please post sliced pics 👍🏼👍🏼

Fat cap up (pretty side down) for 2.5 hours at 300 -325 to build up some crust/ smoke ring. Flip over into pan and add Vidalia onion slices and 6- 10  ounces of beer. (Nothing dark or sour)

Brisket at 2.5 hours

Leave uncovered for hour, then add more beer and foil over top.

After another 1.5 hours check to see how easily thermometer slides into brisket. When done pull off and remove the small piece of point for burnt ends.
Took the brisket off at 615( 5 hours after start) , sliced off point for burnt ends. I put the burnt ends on for 45 minutes and wrapped the brisket in foil. Sliced and served around 7 with burnt ends done.

Finished product

Looking for a grilling option for burgers, dogs, chicken and steaks BUT ONLY CHARCOAL (not yelling, just wanted to stress that😄).

Should I not overthink this and get another Weber kettle or is there something else I should consider? Not wanting to get crazy expensive, $300 tops but would prefer less. 

Looking for a grilling option for burgers, dogs, chicken and steaks BUT ONLY CHARCOAL (not yelling, just wanted to stress that😄).

Should I not overthink this and get another Weber kettle or is there something else I should consider? Not wanting to get crazy expensive, $300 tops but would prefer less. 
The King, Weber Kettle...or get the King on the throne with the Weber Performer Premium

So far I've done two smokes on my new propane smoker.

Bought a 2 pack of 8+ lb pork shoulders from Costco.

With the first one, I made a rub and brine (apple cider and part of the rub) following this recipe. Left in fridge for about 15 hours to soak in the brine/rub mixture.  Took out, patted dry, covered in mustard and then the rub.  Put on at midnight. Took 15.5 hours at 225 with mixture of apple/hickory chips.  Removed, wrapped in foil with some apple juice and put in the cooler for an hour.  Fall apart tender.  Bark was a bit mushy though.  Did not trim the fat cap before or after smoking.  It tasted great, but felt like something was a little off.

With the second one, two weeks later, I did not use a brine.  This one I had frozen.  Thawed out in fridge.  Trimmed the fat cap. Used this rub recipe with a couple modifications.  Added some onion powder and subbed half the paprika for ancho chili powder.  Big difference on this smoke is that I found out that my propane tank has about 30 hours worth of use.  Started at 6pm.  Woke up at 8am expecting it to be close to finished.  Steady at 225. Internal temp was 171.  Came back out an hour later and my smoker was at 175 degrees.  My propane tank was empty. S###!!!  I was making this to take for a NASCAR tailgate.  We were leaving in an hour and a half.  In a panic, I wrapped in butcher paper, tossed it in an aluminum tray and threw it in the oven at 275, praying that I'd get to temp before we had to leave.  Luckily, I checked the internal temp an hour and a half later and we were sitting pretty at 197-201 in a few spots.  I pulled it, threw it in the cooler, covered it with a towel and we left.  I was worried the whole drive to the race.  That it was dry or would be tough.  It was even better than the 1st one!  The heat from the rub was perfect.  I also noticed that I had a more even, thicker bark than I got with the brine/mustard/rub approach.

I learned a lot with the first two smokes and I look forward to continuing to experiment.  Picked up this probe thermometer with Bluetooth (Prime Day Deal for $35) to hopefully prevent any surprises in the future.

Few questions for you guys:

How do you prevent/fix the mushy bark?

Do you smoke fat cap up or down?

I changed out my wood chips 3 times during the first 4 hours.  They seem to burn through so quickly.  Do you recommend this approach or is there a better way?  Soak the chips? 

I changed out my wood chips 3 times during the first 4 hours.  They seem to burn through so quickly.  Do you recommend this approach or is there a better way?  Soak the chips? 
Fat cap up for me but it largely depends on your heat source.  If its from the bottom like most vertical smokers I would go fat down to protect the meat.  I haven't found the "basting" argument to be true. I do it because that's where the convection is on my smoker.

Wood Chips - Don't soak.  That just leads to nasty white smoldering smoke and a trash fire taste. Maybe look at one of those smokinator thingies and use pellets?  If I'm being totally honest I doubt you're getting much smoke flavor in the meat after a couple hours and with a propane smoker you might as well just throw it in the oven where you have automatic temp control.

So far I've done two smokes on my new propane smoker.

Bought a 2 pack of 8+ lb pork shoulders from Costco.

With the first one, I made a rub and brine (apple cider and part of the rub) following this recipe. Left in fridge for about 15 hours to soak in the brine/rub mixture.  Took out, patted dry, covered in mustard and then the rub.  Put on at midnight. Took 15.5 hours at 225 with mixture of apple/hickory chips.  Removed, wrapped in foil with some apple juice and put in the cooler for an hour.  Fall apart tender.  Bark was a bit mushy though.  Did not trim the fat cap before or after smoking.  It tasted great, but felt like something was a little off.

With the second one, two weeks later, I did not use a brine.  This one I had frozen.  Thawed out in fridge.  Trimmed the fat cap. Used this rub recipe with a couple modifications.  Added some onion powder and subbed half the paprika for ancho chili powder.  Big difference on this smoke is that I found out that my propane tank has about 30 hours worth of use.  Started at 6pm.  Woke up at 8am expecting it to be close to finished.  Steady at 225. Internal temp was 171.  Came back out an hour later and my smoker was at 175 degrees.  My propane tank was empty. S###!!!  I was making this to take for a NASCAR tailgate.  We were leaving in an hour and a half.  In a panic, I wrapped in butcher paper, tossed it in an aluminum tray and threw it in the oven at 275, praying that I'd get to temp before we had to leave.  Luckily, I checked the internal temp an hour and a half later and we were sitting pretty at 197-201 in a few spots.  I pulled it, threw it in the cooler, covered it with a towel and we left.  I was worried the whole drive to the race.  That it was dry or would be tough.  It was even better than the 1st one!  The heat from the rub was perfect.  I also noticed that I had a more even, thicker bark than I got with the brine/mustard/rub approach.

I learned a lot with the first two smokes and I look forward to continuing to experiment.  Picked up this probe thermometer with Bluetooth (Prime Day Deal for $35) to hopefully prevent any surprises in the future.

Few questions for you guys:

IMO a pork shoulder doesn't need a brine. I just did a 2 pack from Costco on the 4th with no brine and my bark turned out fantastic. Like @Ron Swansonsaid, I put them on my WSM with the fat cap up and will do it like this from now on. 

Also, when I wrap in foil I don't add any extra liquid. If anything I may add a 1/2 stick of butter. There is enough fat and liquid in the meat already. There is usually some in the foil when I unwrap.

Re: pork shoulder

- no brine. May apply rub and let it sit several hours for the "pork sweats ". Reapply with more rub before smoking.

- for longer cooks like this I use wood chunks mixed in with unlit coals.  Smoke lasts several hours. May throw an extra chunk in later.

- never soak my chips

- with a brown sugar and salt based rub you should have a nice crisp bark.

- fat cap down but not sure how much it matters.

- I baste with a mixture of apple juice, beer and the rub. More sugar for the bark.

- no extra liquid in foil.

JaxBill said:
@doowain that rub has very little salt in it. Only  1 teaspoon salt in a recipe for a couple cups of rub.

Compare to This one . I have actually cut back on the salt when I use my linked recipe.
Oh yeah. I knew I missed the other modification I did. I used one tablespoon of salt. 

I'll try that recipe on one of my next ones. 

Well crap, looks like I’ve gotta get a new Weber Kettle:  had a hell of a storm come through west Orlando last night (easily TS force wind gusts) that blew my kettle clear through screened-in porch door, bounced it across paver patio and into corner of yard against fence.  It’s all dented and scratched up now, lid doesn’t fit anymore.  Thankfully the smoker weighs a hefty bit, she might’ve gone out after the grill did.  Not as bad as could have been for sure, neighbor’s backyard fence got leveled

That sounds awesome.  I like to use coconut oil on my street corn with Butt Rub as the seasoning.  I put the coconut oil in a wine bottle with a flip top liquor pourer and keep it warm on a coffee cup warmer so it stays liquid. Gently drizzling it on after the corn is scorched and cooked works really well. Of course, 99% of it is getting good fresh, sweet corn.
I've tried making this mexican street corn (elotes) a couple times now. The first time it looked absolutely amazing and people couldn't wait to try it. Unfortunately, it was way too early in the season and the local corn was terrible. It was gummy and stuck to your teef. I probably over-cooked it too.  :bag:   People rave about it online, so I decided to try it again. This time I made sure the corn was good (and properly cooked). Tasted pretty good, but honestly, the mayo/sour cream shmear was just too much for me. Could barely taste of the fresh-grilled corn and turned it into a greasy/creamy mess. I think Im going to give it one more shot with a small amt of melted coconut oil, cilantro, dusting of rub (smoked paprika, ground toasted cumin seed, ground ancho, salt, sugar) and the cojita cheese. 

E-Z Glider said:
I've tried making this mexican street corn (elotes) a couple times now. The first time it looked absolutely amazing and people couldn't wait to try it. Unfortunately, it was way too early in the season and the local corn was terrible. It was gummy and stuck to your teef. I probably over-cooked it too.  :bag:   People rave about it online, so I decided to try it again. This time I made sure the corn was good (and properly cooked). Tasted pretty good, but honestly, the mayo/sour cream shmear was just too much for me. Could barely taste of the fresh-grilled corn and turned it into a greasy/creamy mess. I think Im going to give it one more shot with a small amt of melted coconut oil, cilantro, dusting of rub (smoked paprika, ground toasted cumin seed, ground ancho, salt, sugar) and the cojita cheese. 
To each their own but yeah, I prefer  just butter n salt myself

E-Z Glider said:
Yep.  I prefer just coconut oil and rub. And the corn has to be fresh.  Nothing worse than gummy old corn.

E-Z Glider said:
I do it with bag of frozen corn, dukes mayo, powdered Parmesan cheese, chili powder, cayenne (a bit heavy), garlic salt and cilantro. 

Not 100% Authentic but Super easy and a huge hit. 

Just got back from Northern Michigan, with a stop over in Chicago for a couple days. It was an epic culinary week.

First night, just dogs on the grill while everyone unpacks.

Next night, we did pasta with an appetizer of pork belly burnt ends.

The next night we did a couple whole prime briskets along with my beans. 

The next night, we did a fish fry of a bunch of bass along with fresh made hush puppies, french fries, and fried banana pepper rings (not a fan of banana peppers in general, but these are fantastic)

The next night we did Mexican (tacos and enchiladas) and pig snoots. 

The next night we did fresh pork rinds by deep frying little squares of pig skin. Holy mother of all things holy! Wow!

My gram has some video of the pork belly burnt ends and one process shot of the snoots, but I have a TON of pics/video on my phone that I will be turning into some amazing content soon. 

Elotes - I grill up some corn, slather with sour cream, hit with some cotija cheese or fresh parm, and dust with a rub. When I make this stuff, nearly everyone has multiple ears. 

Can do both ways.. a toss in screaming cast iron will get that bit of char if you’re wanting that (some like, some don’t). 
Will try with the char - more likely to do this with loose kernels than with corn on the cob anyway, serve as a side "salad"

Just got back from Northern Michigan, with a stop over in Chicago for a couple days. It was an epic culinary week.

First night, just dogs on the grill while everyone unpacks.

Next night, we did pasta with an appetizer of pork belly burnt ends.

The next night we did a couple whole prime briskets along with my beans. 

The next night, we did a fish fry of a bunch of bass along with fresh made hush puppies, french fries, and fried banana pepper rings (not a fan of banana peppers in general, but these are fantastic)

The next night we did Mexican (tacos and enchiladas) and pig snoots. 

The next night we did fresh pork rinds by deep frying little squares of pig skin. Holy mother of all things holy! Wow!

My gram has some video of the pork belly burnt ends and one process shot of the snoots, but I have a TON of pics/video on my phone that I will be turning into some amazing content soon. 
Northern as in the UP or like Traverse?

How does one cook a pig snout?

And yes, chicharron or cracklins are awesome.  Little carniceria's often have them under heat lamps at the butcher counter.  Or if you're ever driving through S. Louisiana there are a bunch of places in Scott, LA that sell them salted and hot out of the fryer in brown paper bags as road snacks. You'll be very happy, but your steering wheel may feel a little violated.

And yes, chicharron or cracklins are awesome.  Little carniceria's often have them under heat lamps at the butcher counter.  Or if you're ever driving through S. Louisiana there are a bunch of places in Scott, LA that sell them salted and hot out of the fryer in brown paper bags as road snacks. You'll be very happy, but your steering wheel may feel a little violated.
You know who has surprisingly good ones out of left field? Hard Water in SF (bourbon bar). 

Northern as in the UP or like Traverse?

How does one cook a pig snout?

Closer to Traverse.

Score the underside of the snoot with a knife, smoke at 275 to render the fat out, then sear on a hot grill. Dunk in BBQ sauce and enjoy the crunch!

So I picked up a new cooker yesterday. Everdure 4K  I assembled it last night. I haven't had a chance to cook on it yet. I will say this, it is absolutely beautiful and is really innovative. Seems to be rock solid too in terms of construction. 

So I picked up a new cooker yesterday. Everdure 4K  I assembled it last night. I haven't had a chance to cook on it yet. I will say this, it is absolutely beautiful and is really innovative. Seems to be rock solid too in terms of construction. 
Glad you finally have something good to cook on. Is 4K the cost?   Thing looks awesome. 

Glad you finally have something good to cook on. Is 4K the cost?   Thing looks awesome. 
It does not cost 4K, but it is not cheap. I really hope it lives up to the price. The construction is rock solid, the design is extremely innovative and I hope it cooks as well as it looks. Oh, and I got the Robin's Egg Blue one. Red is more my style, but blue does really well on Instagam and that's my jam, so here I am. Everyone who has seen it has raved about it. For me, it's almost too pretty to be a cooker. It really is that sexy. 

Looks like Ikea decided to build a Kamado.😀
HA! It does have that look about it, but the fit, finish and feel of the thing is so much better than anything I've had experience with at Ikea other than maybe that cool industrial lamp I bought there for the man cave. 

The guy that came up with this thing is really legit in terms of the culinary world. Heston Blumenthal invented it. According to Wikipedia:

Heston Marc Blumenthal OBE is a British celebrity chef. He is the proprietor of The Fat Duck in Bray, Berkshire, one of five restaurants in Great Britain to have three Michelin stars; it was voted No. 1 in The World's 50 Best Restaurants in 2005
His goal with this thing is precise temp control That's the rub isn't it? Getting precise temps in an oven inside is one thing. Doing so in the elements is quite another. I'll be putting it to the test. 

HA! It does have that look about it, but the fit, finish and feel of the thing is so much better than anything I've had experience with at Ikea other than maybe that cool industrial lamp I bought there for the man cave. 

The guy that came up with this thing is really legit in terms of the culinary world. Heston Blumenthal invented it. According to Wikipedia:

His goal with this thing is precise temp control That's the rub isn't it? Getting precise temps in an oven inside is one thing. Doing so in the elements is quite another. I'll be putting it to the test. 
Looks legit and expensive.  Let is know what you think

New setup is complete :

https://imgur.com/gallery/zFtEKMC

Now I just have to figure out how to smoke on kamado instead of wsm. Any tips? 
Be careful about initial temps. With my WSM I could build a huge fire and control it easily with vents. The kamados are so efficient that they’ll run up to high temps easily and are hard to get back down. 

Instead of a full or half full chimney, start with a small fire and cut vents early to avoid overrun.

Be careful about initial temps. With my WSM I could build a huge fire and control it easily with vents. The kamados are so efficient that they’ll run up to high temps easily and are hard to get back down. 

Instead of a full or half full chimney, start with a small fire and cut vents early to avoid overrun.
I'm learning this quickly. I did a pork butt on Friday and had Temps around 300 the whole time. I didn't do a chimney as you point out, but did a single spot blow torch. Combination of allowing initial fire to grow too much and a couple of openings in the bottom vent that I will tighten up with felt soon. 

Pork butt turned out fine but the 5 hour rest allowed it to cool more than I wanted. 

Yeah, get these back down after you've let too much air in is a challenge.  Make sure to keep it closed when you are doing something like wrapping ribs/brisket :bag:  

Dropping runaway temps in Kamados: 

I found a trick on YouTube to get it down that worked pretty good... mine had spiked to 450 while trying to do prime rib. :eek:

close all vents.. wait for temps to drop 20-30 degrees... open for 3 seconds then close again... temp will rise a few then start falling again... wait another 20-30 degrees then open for 3 seconds... etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread