What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Going to smoke up 2 8lb pork shoulders to take on a 4 day all-guy boat trip to Norris Lake.

Question for you all.  What's the best way to transport and re-heat?

I was thinking that I should shred them and then store in aluminum trays covered in aluminum foil.  Keep cold until ready to reheat.  Add a little apple juice and pop in the oven on the boat.

Any better ways or am I overthinking?

Going to smoke up 2 8lb pork shoulders to take on a 4 day all-guy boat trip to Norris Lake.

I was thinking that I should shred them and then store in aluminum trays covered in aluminum foil.  Keep cold until ready to reheat.  Add a little apple juice and pop in the oven on the boat.

Drizzle some sort of stock over them to keep them moist in the fridge

To further keep moist I'd store in zip-lock plastic bags rather than in the aluminum trays themselves, with a little fluid as mentioned (AJ and or stock are fine, don't need much). Take the bags of pork out of fridge an hour before heating to bring to room temp, the less time spent in the oven to get it all warm the better. Dump in the aluminum tray and heat covered with foil to trap moisture.

[icon] said:
Be careful about initial temps. With my WSM I could build a huge fire and control it easily with vents. The kamados are so efficient that they’ll run up to high temps easily and are hard to get back down. 

Instead of a full or half full chimney, start with a small fire and cut vents early to avoid overrun.
I've told friends its kind of like piloting a large boat on a narrow river.  You can't overreact to make adjustments - like opening it up or shutting it completely down - or you'll get it going too strong in one direction and risk oversteering the other way, producing wide temperature swings.  With experience, you learn to recognize when the grill is trending one way or the other and make small adjustments to keep it running down the middle.

I've told friends its kind of like piloting a large boat on a narrow river.  You can't overreact to make adjustments - like opening it up or shutting it completely down - or you'll get it going too strong in one direction and risk oversteering the other way, producing wide temperature swings.  With experience, you learn to recognize when the grill is trending one way or the other and make small adjustments to keep it running down the middle.
Definitely is fun to let it rip over 600* too.

Ok.  So i took out some jimmy dean hot and sage sausage from the freezer on like Saturday.  I haven’t had a chance to smoke them yet and want to do it today.  Think it’s still good?  Here is no expiration date on them.   :shrug:  

Ok.  So i took out some jimmy dean hot and sage sausage from the freezer on like Saturday.  I haven’t had a chance to smoke them yet and want to do it today.  Think it’s still good?  Here is no expiration date on them.   :shrug:  
If they have been in the fridge they should be good IMO. 

Trichinosis is an underappreciated umami. 

What does how long it's been in the fridge have to do with a parasite that you obtain by eating undercooked meats
It was a joke.  Trichinosis has long been associated with pork.  The OP was questioning if his pork product would still be ok to eat. Nothing more than that.

Is 2-2-1 at 250 a good guideline for baby backs?
Better than 3-2-1 for sure. I usually go 2 (maybe longer depending on how it's looking) - 1.5, 1. Foiling really turns them soft, so if you're not looking for fall off the bone ribs (and you shouldn't be imo), less than 2 in foil is best. 

Is 2-2-1 at 250 a good guideline for baby backs?
i dont even foil mine and they come out great.  If you like a nice bark then keep it real simple and doing foil.  Otherwise i would do as others suggest and limit the foiling time.  Or, experiment for yourself.  Do one rack 3-2-1 and another 2-2-1 and another without even wraping.  See which you like the best. 

:headbang:

Probably didn't defrost till Wed if they went from freezer to fridge
Well i bought them and they were defrosted and one was pulled from the freezer.  But yea, sounds like i should be good.  Smoking a gang of fatties for a party.  Doing a test cook tonight with the "risky" ones. 

i dont even foil mine and they come out great.  If you like a nice bark then keep it real simple and doing foil.  Otherwise i would do as others suggest and limit the foiling time.  Or, experiment for yourself.  Do one rack 3-2-1 and another 2-2-1 and another without even wraping.  See which you like the best. 
Please please don't try 3-2-1 with baby backs, you'll get mush

Ribs: Times are decent for planning but it comes down to: 

Rub em and smoke em to the color you want. 

Then foil them and cook them to the doneness you want. 

Then sauce them and finish till the sauce sets. 

That’s it 

Last edited by a moderator:
Next Saturday is my big live fantasy draft with long time friends; golf in the morning, draft starts around 5, poker after.  Even with the quickness my Gateway drum provides, I won’t have a big enough gap between golf and draft to cook day of.  I also can’t cook the night prior because I’ll be at the Orlando City Soccer game with clients.  So, I need to cook Thursday night after work.  Keeping it simple, a big butt for pulled pork and about 20 beef short ribs (the smaller pre-cut kind found at Publix).  

My question is best way to store and then reheat:  was thinking of pulling the pork and then freezing in zip lock freezer bag (along with some juices), thawing Saturday and reheating in oven.  For the beef, same thing with freezing but after thaw using grill to get up to temp.  Is this a good solution or should I look to try something else?

I do a pork butt a lot of times on the weekend when the wife has to work all day and have no other plans.  I pull it when it is finished then throw it in the crock pot the next morning on low for supper that night.  I put apple juice in the crock pot with it to keep the moisture up, adding some throughout the day as needed.  I understand you won't be able to check it much through the day, but give it a try. It still has a great smoke flavor and is very moist.

Sorry, cant help you with the ribs.

Next Saturday is my big live fantasy draft with long time friends; golf in the morning, draft starts around 5, poker after.  Even with the quickness my Gateway drum provides, I won’t have a big enough gap between golf and draft to cook day of.  I also can’t cook the night prior because I’ll be at the Orlando City Soccer game with clients.  So, I need to cook Thursday night after work.  Keeping it simple, a big butt for pulled pork and about 20 beef short ribs (the smaller pre-cut kind found at Publix).  

My question is best way to store and then reheat:  was thinking of pulling the pork and then freezing in zip lock freezer bag (along with some juices), thawing Saturday and reheating in oven.  For the beef, same thing with freezing but after thaw using grill to get up to temp.  Is this a good solution or should I look to try something else?
Cook it 80% of the way,then wrap in unwaxed butcher paper. Double bag in food liner bags and plunge cool in an ice filled cooler. Keep it there until draft day then fire up your smoker or even oven and finish.

Wingnut said:
Just put 2 racks of ribs in the smoker an hour ago (hickory and apple wood). I do  2, 1.5, 1 and then sauce and grill them over high heat for a few minutes to get a nice charred sauce layer on the outside.

Heavenly.
I hate when I fire up my grill only to find out I'm out of propane :angry:

So I had to finish them under the broiler instead of the grill. Not the same. Still hella tasty though!

After smoker

After sauce/broiler

ETA: Yes I know gas grills suck compared to charcoal but gas is great for putting a quick char on things and its what Ive got to work with.

I have a breakfast covered dish event coming up for work. Trying to decide between sausage fatties or some kind of potato skillet type dish.

Well the brisket that I didn't cook for the 4th is getting done today on my WSM. After all the trimming it's weighing in at about 7 lbs. 

This will be my first time doing this with a brisket but I'm going to smoke it at a higher temperature. My pit is currently sitting @311°. Anything different that I need to worry about while cooking at a higher temperature? 

Well the brisket that I didn't cook for the 4th is getting done today on my WSM. After all the trimming it's weighing in at about 7 lbs. 

This will be my first time doing this with a brisket but I'm going to smoke it at a higher temperature. My pit is currently sitting @311°. Anything different that I need to worry about while cooking at a higher temperature? 
High heat brisket

I do mine slightly different on the wsm. I do fat side up for first 2 to 2.5 hours to get a crust on the pretty side.  Then I flip it over and put it in a large alum pan with sliced vidalia onions on top and 8oz or so beer. At the 4 hour mark I'll add a little more beer and foil over the pan.

Cook till probe slides thru. Take off and slice off part of point if available for burnt ends. 

Foil brisket and let rest before slicing 

High heat brisket

I do mine slightly different on the wsm. I do fat side up for first 2 to 2.5 hours to get a crust on the pretty side.  Then I flip it over and put it in a large alum pan with sliced vidalia onions on top and 8oz or so beer. At the 4 hour mark I'll add a little more beer and foil over the pan.

Cook till probe slides thru. Take off and slice off part of point if available for burnt ends. 

Foil brisket and let rest before slicing 
Thanks GB. My temp has crept up to 334 and holding steady. I'm 2 hours in on the cook and will probably go check it in a half hour. 

There's definitely gonna be some burnt ends in the near future. 👍

What grade brisket?  I have found that choice and better are good for high heat because of the extra marbling.  Select dries out worse at high heat.

What grade brisket?  I have found that choice and better are good for high heat because of the extra marbling.  Select dries out worse at high heat.
It's a USDA Prime I got from Costco. After 3 hours I put it in a pan, fat cap up, with a little apple juice and foiled it. Didn't have any beef stock. The internal was 170 on the point and around 180 on the flat. 

3 hours in

So I found one of the old Oklahoma Joe smokers on a facebook swap group.  This thing is in mint condition.   Has to have been made before 1998 and there's not a spot of rust on it.  All welded , no bolts or gaskets, 1/4 inch steel.  Got it for $150.  Felt like I was stealing.

I hate when I fire up my grill only to find out I'm out of propane :angry:

So I had to finish them under the broiler instead of the grill. Not the same. Still hella tasty though!

After smoker

After sauce/broiler

ETA: Yes I know gas grills suck compared to charcoal but gas is great for putting a quick char on things and its what Ive got to work with.
Do you or anyone you know hit a lot of estate sales? My MiL does and thus I now have three of the big propane tanks. 2 of which I got for $5/each. 

So I found one of the old Oklahoma Joe smokers on a facebook swap group.  This thing is in mint condition.   Has to have been made before 1998 and there's not a spot of rust on it.  All welded , no bolts or gaskets, 1/4 inch steel.  Got it for $150.  Felt like I was stealing.
You did steal it. If the chimney is welded on, then it was made by the crew of OK Joe, aka Joe Davidson (maybe the most interesting man in BBQ if not the world). If the smoke stack is not welded on, then it was made by Char-Broil after they bought the line. If it is welded, you got it for about 5% of its worth. 

Users who are viewing this thread