Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
bryhamm

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread***

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Brony said:

Looked at my local Costco last week (chicago)... 3.49 for prime full packer. 5.99 for flat only - can't remember if this was prime or choice, but it doesn't matter as no one should be choosing just the flat. 

Just picked up a 13.5 lber to smoke on Saturday. Gonna do the high heat method.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mad Cow said:

Do you all smoke the turkey in a pan or out of an aluminum pan?  I cannot remember which I did last year.

I'm not doing a whole turkey but I'm not using a pan. I did a whole bird last year and didn't use a pan then either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Extra large egg and the table setup delivered today 😍😍😍😍 Just in time for tomorrow. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bryhamm said:

Why not rinse?

No good reason to go through the effort.  If further seasoning, just use non-salt additional seasonings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

How much are you paying per pound for beef brisket in your area?

$10 per pound for American Wagyu delivered.

$5 per pound for pickup across the state of Prime/High CAB choice. But I have to drive 5 ish hours.

$2.99 per pound of Prime in TX that I freeze and put in my checked bags. 0 thaw during the 2 hour flight and 1 hour ride home. Closer to 6 hours total.

I prefer to just not screw with it and buy the $10 a pound wagyu delivered. It comes out amazing every time, even with inconsistency on my part.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

Iirc you had an egg before, was it just the large?  

Yes. It worked great but I wanted more room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah smoking when it is 15 degrees out and there is two feet of snow out around the smoker.  Two 16 pound birds.  Both Butterballs so brining and injecting are really not needed but did it anyway overnight in apple cider water mix with sea salt and brown sugar.  Apples in the cavities,  a bit of poultry seasoning on skin, and bacon over the top to baste for the first few hours.  I take the bacon off after four hours.  Initially it bastes, a bit and keeps the bird from getting too dark with smoke reside, but it also prevents smoke penetration to an extent so I ####can it half way through.   The apples help with moisture and don't add much flavor, if any.  I remove them with an hour to go so the smoke can get into those cavities as well.  With this cold I will have to monitor it every half hour or so.  fortunately no wind right now so holding temperature is not to difficult.

 

Will be putting some Colorado Crack on in a few hours, that's Chex mix, tossed through a clarified garlic butter, lightly so as not to make soggy but mostly enough to help salt adhere, spread on tray, dusted with onion and garlic salt, and smoked for about an hour if hickory or mesquite and maybe an hour and twenty minutes with Applewood.  It goes great with football.  Sometimes I add cashews and macadamia nuts to the mix as well as some rye chips.  I am doing so today.

 

Key to the Chex mix, spread on tray and apply clarified butter and garlic with a spray bottle so as to evenly coat, but not make soggy.  You want just enough to make the salts adhere, no more.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shrimp skewers are marinating in a nice orange and chili pepper sauce.  Appetizers for during the games.

 

Nearly time to sort out my Christmas lights.  They took a bit of a hit with the recent snow storm here.  Need to make a few adjustments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to Sunday when my family will be over.  For hers we have to do store bought.  For mine, I get to go to my freezer and pull out a goose and a few pheasants and a couple of rabbits.  Will be smoking with mesquite and sage, not Applewood as her family prefers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

Did you keep the large one or are you going to use the xl as your primary grill?

Keeping it for now I think. But the XL will be primary 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

How many do you cook for?

Today about 20. Super Bowl about 25 and then we have parties that size throughout the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Looking forward to Sunday when my family will be over.  For hers we have to do store bought.  For mine, I get to go to my freezer and pull out a goose and a few pheasants and a couple of rabbits.  Will be smoking with mesquite and sage, not Applewood as her family prefers.

Do you come from a family of West TX cowboys? Sage and Mesquite for smoking are quite an acquired taste and skill. Stuff burns damn near as hot as lump.

Edited by Ron Swanson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mad Cow said:

Do you all smoke the turkey in a pan or out of an aluminum pan?  I cannot remember which I did last year.

I have a WSM so the bird goes directly  on the top grate and I have a pan for gravy on lower grate catching the drippings

Edited by JaxBill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a buddy of mine sent me a text from his BIL. The BIL has a dog door in his garage. the text said 

 

Raccoons got in the Garage fridge and ate our raw turkey.  😭

  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both turkeys looking great.   Spritzing with apple juice every 20 minutes.  At 116 degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a brisket on, some baby back and a rack of country ribs.

Smoking for 3. LOL....we'll have some serious leftovers...

I asked the above question about the brisket because the local Publix supermarket had the brisket for $8.49/lb. My wife called me yesterday while shopping and I said HELL NO.

She ended up talking the butcher down to $7.49/lb (I didn't know Publix negotiated.....food for thought...) and buying it anyway. 

I can't remember paying much more than $4/lb for brisket so paying double that hurt a little bit...

Am in Miami where it's 80 degrees and sunny so the smoker was running a bit high for a couple hours but it's settled in at 230-235 for the past few hours. 

Put the brisket on around 7a, the ribs were on around 1p. Should be ready to eat around 7p.

Making some corn souffle, steamed brussels with some dijon/worcestershire sauce, a slaw-type salad.....and I think that's it.

Have a pumpkin and pecan pie ready for some dessert. 

Keto be damned!

Edited by Senor Schmutzig
Mor werds
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Have a brisket on, some baby back and a rack of country ribs.

Smoking for 3. LOL....we'll have some serious leftovers...

I asked the above question about the brisket because the local Publix supermarket had the brisket for $8.49/lb. My wife called me yesterday while shopping and I said HELL NO.

She ended up talking the butcher down to $7.49/lb (I didn't know Publix negotiated.....food for thought...) and buying it anyway. 

I can't remember paying much more than $4/lb for brisket so paying double that hurt a little bit...

Am in Miami where it's 80 degrees and sunny so the smoker was running a bit high for a couple hours but it's settled in at 230-235 for the past few hours. 

Put the brisket on around 7a, the ribs were on around 1p. Should be ready to eat around 7p.

Making some corn souffle, steamed brussels with some dijon/worcestershire sauce, a slaw-type salad.....and I think that's it.

Have a pumpkin and pecan pie ready for some dessert. 

Keto be damned!

It can be tough to even find a whole brisket in FL. I've heard rumors of Costco having them but have never seen them. Same with plate beef ribs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

It can be tough to even find a whole brisket in FL. I've heard rumors of Costco having them but have never seen them. Same with plate beef ribs.

Bought 2 wholes from Costco last week. 3.29 a lb. Clearwater. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Capella said:

Bought 2 wholes from Costco last week. 3.29 a lb. Clearwater. 

Prime? Whole packers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 8:05 AM, Ron Swanson said:

Do you come from a family of West TX cowboys? Sage and Mesquite for smoking are quite an acquired taste and skill. Stuff burns damn near as hot as lump.

From a family of German/Irish Dairy farmers in Wisconsin.  Thus the desire for some rabbit.  Germans eat rabbit.  How many smoke it and then finish it baking it in a chutney I can't say, but that's what Dad did and that's what I do.  I moved to Colorado over 30 years ago.  Gradually started moving away, a bit, from using hickory and Applewood to mesquite and sage.  I do have to keep an eye on things a bit more with them but when my family is over it is no burden to hang outside, have a cigar, and watch the smoker.  My brother and his oldest son are likely to join us out there.  His daughter, a vegan, will not.  My cousin and his boys will also be out kibitzing.  he is bringing a venison roast and will be in charge of roasting it on my grill.  My sisters boy, who can say, he hangs with the females generally.

Stuffing will be wild rice, rye bread, mushrooms, onions, and a bit of cut up dehydrated apple.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my bird out on Thursday late morning. I put it in a couple aluminum pans and placed a bag of ice on the breasts. After a couple hours, I stuffed a half pound of garlic butter under the breasts. I dusted with a rub and then on the smoker at 225 for 30 minutes. Then up to 275 for 30 and then 325 and then up to 400. It was an 18 lb bird and it was done in 4 hours. I pulled it at 160 and tented it for 30 before slicing. One of the best birds I've ever done. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

I got my bird out on Thursday late morning. I put it in a couple aluminum pans and placed a bag of ice on the breasts. After a couple hours, I stuffed a half pound of garlic butter under the breasts. I dusted with a rub and then on the smoker at 225 for 30 minutes. Then up to 275 for 30 and then 325 and then up to 400. It was an 18 lb bird and it was done in 4 hours. I pulled it at 160 and tented it for 30 before slicing. One of the best birds I've ever done. 

Explain the ice on the breasts. I know what it does for women, but what does it accomplish with the bird?

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Prime? Whole packers?

Prime whole packer. 3.79 actually. Bought 2, shoulda bought 5. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Explain the ice on the breasts. I know what it does for women, but what does it accomplish with the bird?

Chills the breasts which slows down the cooking of them to the same speed as the thighs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 12:01 PM, TheFanatic said:

Chills the breasts which slows down the cooking of them to the same speed as the thighs. 

This would seem to me to be quite a nominal difference presuming one's bird is more or less at frig temperature to begin with.  Also, I have not noticed an issue, other than, sometimes, the leg and wing cooking ahead of the rest of the bird if they are not tied in tight to the bird.  This seems counter to my experience, then again, a lot of good practices are.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 8:15 AM, Ditkaless Wonders said:

This would seem to me to be quite a nominal difference presuming one's bird is more or less at frig temperature to begin with.  Also, I have not noticed an issue, other than, sometimes, the leg and wing cooking ahead of the rest of the bird if they are not tied in tight to the bird.  This seems counter to my experience, then again, a lot of good practices are.  

You let the rest of the bird come up to room temp on the counter. So 2-3 hours on the counter with ice on the breasts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheFanatic said:

You let the rest of the bird come up to room temp on the counter. So 2-3 hours on the counter with ice on the breasts. 

I wonder how much of a temperature differential this creates and for how long.  Still, if you tell me it improves the bird, why not believe you?  I will give this a try with my next bird.  I appreciate the tip.  the amount of stuff I do not know about cooking could fill a book, as far as I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:58 PM, Senor Schmutzig said:

How much are you paying per pound for beef brisket in your area?

$3.49-$3.99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I wonder how much of a temperature differential this creates and for how long.  Still, if you tell me it improves the bird, why not believe you?  I will give this a try with my next bird.  I appreciate the tip.  the amount of stuff I do not know about cooking could fill a book, as far as I know.

The problem is, the breasts are always done before the thighs. So the ice goes a long way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

The problem is, the breasts are always done before the thighs. So the ice goes a long way. 

For roasting.  Do you roast on a rack?  Could one roast upside down in a pan, I suppose the bird would fall to one side or the other? I wonder whichever part is higher in the heat environment, the stove, would naturally cook faster, what with heat rising.  

 

Smoking them, as I do, this phenomenon has not been noticeable.  Perhaps had I roasted more I would have experienced this.

 

If I was not completely poultried out after the past 4 days I would test this, if I could, with say side by side capons, one with and one without cooling the breast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need some help. The men of our church are having a Wild Game dinner in January. Each man is supposed to bring a side dish and a “wild game” dish. I am not a hunter and don’t have a freezer full of venison, etc. 

I have a Wegmans grocery store near by and they have several options: bison, duck, Cornish hens, wild boar sausage.

Any ideas or suggestions for some dish incorporating the smoker? 
 

Thanks!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beef Ravioli said:

I need some help. The men of our church are having a Wild Game dinner in January. Each man is supposed to bring a side dish and a “wild game” dish. I am not a hunter and don’t have a freezer full of venison, etc. 

I have a Wegmans grocery store near by and they have several options: bison, duck, Cornish hens, wild boar sausage.

Any ideas or suggestions for some dish incorporating the smoker? 
 

Thanks!! 

Love me some smoked duck. The high fat content makes it pretty idiot proof on the smoker. 

Cherry-Smoked Duck With Chipotle-Cherry Barbecue Sauce

Edited by Fishboy
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Beef Ravioli said:

I need some help. The men of our church are having a Wild Game dinner in January. Each man is supposed to bring a side dish and a “wild game” dish. I am not a hunter and don’t have a freezer full of venison, etc. 

I have a Wegmans grocery store near by and they have several options: bison, duck, Cornish hens, wild boar sausage.

Any ideas or suggestions for some dish incorporating the smoker? 
 

Thanks!! 

Do you have any access to pheasant? I made these yesterday... they're up there with my favorite things to smoke. Brine for 12hrs, spatchcock, add your favorite rub, I glaze two times with maple syrup, and smoke until 160. Absolutely phenomenal. 

Otherwise I second the duck suggestion as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we're having Christmas breakfast at our house for my wife's side of the family. I usually don't cook breakfast since my wife is so good at it. That's her best meal from a cooking standpoint. I plan on making some of my award winning cheddar biscuits and my award winning cinnamon rolls. My question is this. Does anyone have any go to breakfast recipes for a smoker or grill? I am not sure if it would be worth the trouble or not. We plan on having scrambled eggs, bacon, onion sausage, grits, belgian waffles, probably some fruit, and the previously mentioned biscuits and cinnamon rolls. There will probably only be 8-10 people if that matters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, In The Zone said:

Well we're having Christmas breakfast at our house for my wife's side of the family. I usually don't cook breakfast since my wife is so good at it. That's her best meal from a cooking standpoint. I plan on making some of my award winning cheddar biscuits and my award winning cinnamon rolls. My question is this. Does anyone have any go to breakfast recipes for a smoker or grill? I am not sure if it would be worth the trouble or not. We plan on having scrambled eggs, bacon, onion sausage, grits, belgian waffles, probably some fruit, and the previously mentioned biscuits and cinnamon rolls. There will probably only be 8-10 people if that matters. 

Cooking breakfast outside on a big griddle plate on the grill can be fun if the weather is nice.  But the real secret to good breakfast is bacon.  Good bacon.  Either cure and smoke your own or pony up and order some from Nueske's.  It is superior by a long shot to anything you can buy locally. Better smoke flavor and way meatier.  Bake that in the oven (place in cold oven set to 375 on cookie sheets with wire racks for 20-30 minutes or until done the way you like it) for the best bacon you've ever had and win breakfast.  The rest of what you serve will be irrelevant.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, In The Zone said:

Well we're having Christmas breakfast at our house for my wife's side of the family. I usually don't cook breakfast since my wife is so good at it. That's her best meal from a cooking standpoint. I plan on making some of my award winning cheddar biscuits and my award winning cinnamon rolls. My question is this. Does anyone have any go to breakfast recipes for a smoker or grill? I am not sure if it would be worth the trouble or not. We plan on having scrambled eggs, bacon, onion sausage, grits, belgian waffles, probably some fruit, and the previously mentioned biscuits and cinnamon rolls. There will probably only be 8-10 people if that matters. 

Stuffed smoked fatties would be awesome. I've made blueberry muffin with maple syrup and corn bread with hot honey. They were gone in less than 5 minutes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Cooking breakfast outside on a big griddle plate on the grill can be fun if the weather is nice.  But the real secret to good breakfast is bacon.  Good bacon.  Either cure and smoke your own or pony up and order some from Nueske's.  It is superior by a long shot to anything you can buy locally. Better smoke flavor and way meatier.  Bake that in the oven (place in cold oven set to 375 on cookie sheets with wire racks for 20-30 minutes or until done the way you like it) for the best bacon you've ever had and win breakfast.  The rest of what you serve will be irrelevant.

Agree with everything said here, except the oven part. Why not do it in the smoker? Maybe even add a little maple syrup glaze for maximum decadence. Cook it nice and slow so the fat gets all sticky and just melts in your mouth.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2019 at 8:55 AM, E-Z Glider said:

Agree with everything said here, except the oven part. Why not do it in the smoker? Maybe even add a little maple syrup glaze for maximum decadence. Cook it nice and slow so the fat gets all sticky and just melts in your mouth.

That would be fine but the bacon I use is already smoky enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

It's 189.  Why the hell not? It doesn't look like it is great quality but for 189 who cares.

Oddly reviews are they use more robust materials than Traeger.
5 year warranty (longer). 
 

Size is the only concern.
3-4 slabs, 2-3 Chickens or butts. A small of midsize brisket. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.