What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

What is a proper finish temp for brisket?Never made one, but thinking about the plunge. One of my favorite things to eat is the precooked, sliced brisket from Sam's Club. Just drenched in beef gravy in the crockpot. (Yeah, I know) I have mastered pork & chicken on my grill smoker.

What is a proper finish temp for brisket?Never made one, but thinking about the plunge. One of my favorite things to eat is the precooked, sliced brisket from Sam's Club. Just drenched in beef gravy in the crockpot. (Yeah, I know) I have mastered pork & chicken on my grill smoker.
it depends.  generally 203 is a good estimate but really its finished when it probes like a hot knife going into butter.  That could really be anywhere from like 198-210 from what ive seen people report.  Ive even seen people take it off at lower temps.  But 203 is like the most common answer measured in the thickest part of the flat.  Give it a go.  Its fun to practice!

Last edited by a moderator:
it depends.  generally 203 is a good estimate but really its finished when it probes like a hot knife going into butter.  That could really be anywhere from like 198-210 from what ive seen people report.  Ive even seen people take it off at lower temps.  But 203 is like the most common answer measured in the thickest part of the flat.  Give it a go.  Its fun to practice!
This.  The real challenge is to get the point and the flat to finish like butter at the same time.

So instead of doing the inch thick boneless Ribeyes on the grill from the get go, I did em sous vide to 120°, and while they were cooking I fired up the new Akorn and cooked the baked potatoes on it at 375-400° for about an hour and 10 min. I then took out the top grate and my cast iron diffuser and opened up the vents and let her get scorching hot (about 550 on the dome thermometer, the coals had to be around 700°) then seared the steaks on the 17" Weber grate that sits right above the coals. Holy friggin cow, best sear ever (took about a minute and a half per side). Great char, and the fat was like cracklin' bacon.

I let em rest for about 7-9 minutes, then topped each steak with a pat of black truffle butter I made earlier, as well as a few sauteed morel mushrooms, some pan seared asparagus, and the baked potatoes. Easily the best steaks I've ever made at home. I'm not sure if the pic shows it, but they were perfect wall to wall med rare. 

Plated

Perfect

Not bad for my first time using the akorn. When I seasoned it yesterday, I let the temp get away a bit and was struggling to get it down to 450, but eventually I got it down. Then I fired it up later that day and played with it for a bit and was able to keep it between 240 and 250 for about 2 hours..then I ran out of time and had to shut her down. So that was my only kamado experience before today. I really wanted to try a high heat sear on the lower grate, and it performed exactly how I'd hoped.

I have been collecting different types of wood to cut off chunks of for smoking.  I have been using pecan, apple, and orange for a while.  I recently added cherry & grapefruit, and just put a pork butt on with the grapefruit. 

8 lb bone-in pork butt hit the smoker an hour ago. My temp is fluctuating between 210 and 240, I'm having a bit of a hard time getting it dialed in and steady. It's got a long way to go so I'm sure I'll get it under control at some point lol.

8 lb bone-in pork butt hit the smoker an hour ago. My temp is fluctuatiing between 210 and 240, I'm having a bit of a hard time getting it dialed in and steady. It's got a long way yo go so I'm sure I'll get it under control at some point lol.
Being in Wisconsin and smoking in the colder months, I used to fight that same battle. I ended up getting a pellet smoker and wouldn't need to deal with that anymore, but I do miss it enough to still pull out the old WSM and put myself to the test. 

Being in Wisconsin and smoking in the colder months, I used to fight that same battle. I ended up getting a pellet smoker and wouldn't need to deal with that anymore, but I do miss it enough to still pull out the old WSM and put myself to the test. 
Might have found the sweet spot I was looking for. Its staying between 230 and 235 degrees and I havent adjusted the vents in over an hour. Internal temp is at 144 at the moment. Smooth sailing for the time being.

Because of sale prices, I ended up getting more pork shoulder than I wanted (8lbs).   Don't want to take all day, so will probably shoot for the 275-300 range.

Welp, the Akorn is a finicky #####. Had trouble all day with temp flux, it held steady for about 2 hours and the rest of the time it was chasing my target temp. This is gonna take some practice.

So my pork went on at 11:30am and came off at 9:30pm when it hit 205 degrees internal temp. The problem is almost no bark, and I whiffed on placing my wood blocks,  out of 3 it looks like only 1 burned, so I'm not sure how much smoke it got.

It's resting right now and while I'm sure it will taste good, I dont think this is gonna be one if my better smokes. I'm chalking this up as a learning experience but I need to tweak my kamado game quite a bit next time. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Welp, the Akorn is a finicky #####. Had trouble all day with temp flux, it held steady for about 2 hours and the rest of the time it was chasing my target temp. This is gonna take some practice.

So my pork went on at 11:30am and came off at 9:30pm when it hit 205 degrees internal temp. The problem is almost no bark, and I whiffed on placing my wood blocks,  out of 3 it looks like only 1 burned, so I'm not sure how much smoke it got.

It's resting right now and while I'm sure it will taste good, I dont think this is gonna be one if my better smokes. I'm chalking this up as a learning experience but I need to tweak my kamado game quite a bit next time. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Kamado's in general can be tricky to get used to.  The biggest thing I learned when I had mine was to use both the intake and exhaust in conjunction with each other. And start small and make infrequent incremental adjustments upwards.  Once you overshoot they are a beeatch to cool off.  Also, always "burp" the lid about an inch when you open it, they can backdraft badly. Aaand lastly, beware if you leave the lid open that sucker will burn up to 1000 degrees or close very quickly if you are using good lump.  Great for pizza, but a little scary to be honest.

Kamado's in general can be tricky to get used to.  The biggest thing I learned when I had mine was to use both the intake and exhaust in conjunction with each other. And start small and make infrequent incremental adjustments upwards.  Once you overshoot they are a beeatch to cool off.  Also, always "burp" the lid about an inch when you open it, they can backdraft badly. Aaand lastly, beware if you leave the lid open that sucker will burn up to 1000 degrees or close very quickly if you are using good lump.  Great for pizza, but a little scary to be honest.
Yeah I read a TON about Kamados knowing I was getting one for Xmas, and I thought I'd be able to manage the temp ok, with probably a LITTLE issue here and there, but I didn't realize how touchy they can be...

That said, after a rest for a couple hours, I decided to go ahead and see how it was...the bone slid out with zero effort, and holy cow, the meat is like butter. It has more smoke than I anticipated and I couldn't pick the damn thing up without it literally falling apart. And though the bark left a lot to be desired, this is definitely one of the better hunks of of dead pig I've cooked as far as flavor and melt in your mouth tenderness. I'm prettty shocked. Lol. 

3 hours in

About 6 hours in

Bone pulled

I did burgers on the Akorn last night and found out first hand how hot it can get with the lid open...talk about great char, though!! This thing is AMAZING for high heat searing. 

I've been using an electric smoker for the past few years and could never get the same results as this in just 10 hours...every single smoke this size would take 18-24 hours to hit my target internal temp  even after wrapping and cranking up the heat...this thing is so efficient it's crazy.

I'm really loving this grill. It's gonna be fun learning and getting good at it.

Yeah I read a TON about Kamados knowing I was getting one for Xmas, and I thought I'd be able to manage the temp ok, with probably a LITTLE issue here and there, but I didn't realize how touchy they can be...

That said, after a rest for a couple hours, I decided to go ahead and see how it was...the bone slid out with zero effort, and holy cow, the meat is like butter. It has more smoke than I anticipated and I couldn't pick the damn thing up without it literally falling apart. And though the bark left a lot to be desired, this is definitely one of the better hunks of of dead pig I've cooked as far as flavor and melt in your mouth tenderness. I'm prettty shocked. Lol. 

3 hours in

About 6 hours in

Bone pulled

I did burgers on the Akorn last night and found out first hand how hot it can get with the lid open...talk about great char, though!! This thing is AMAZING for high heat searing. 

I've been using an electric smoker for the past few years and could never get the same results as this in just 10 hours...every single smoke this size would take 18-24 hours to hit my target internal temp  even after wrapping and cranking up the heat...this thing is so efficient it's crazy.

I'm really loving this grill. It's gonna be fun learning and getting good at it.
You may just want to bite the bullet and get a temp controller. They work really well and it makes smoking on a non-pellet very pellet like in terms.

3 hours in

About 6 hours in

Bone pulled

If you love high heat for burgers....get yourself some 2'' or thicker steaks to throw on that bad boy at 1000*

You may just want to bite the bullet and get a temp controller. They work really well and it makes smoking on a non-pellet very pellet like in terms.
:goodposting:

yes, there is something to be said about mastering the old fashioned way, but once you get a full nights sleep while smoking, it's tough to go back.  

On the transition to kamado, yeah, that took me awhile too to get used to how much to burn to get started and where to put the vents. After about 4 or 5 cooks, I like it better than the WSM.  Easier cleanup for sure. 

Way ahead of you, already been looking at a few lol. I wanted to try a few cooks first and see how I did, but I almost ordered one before the grill even got here.

Way ahead of you, already been looking at a few lol. I wanted to try a few cooks first and see how I did, but I almost ordered one before the grill even got here.
It makes life a whole lot easier, and no one will have any idea you used one. Also, in a lot of the comp shows on TV a large percentage use them. I bought a Pitmaster IQ, since it wasn't too pricey, for my WSM.

With mine, I barely crack the top on it, I mean like open a milimeter and then use the bottom vent to control temps. And I barely open the vent at the bottom. The ceramic kamados throttle the air better because they seal tighter both at the lid and the vents have less gaps. The Akorn has enough air going in through gaps that the vents need to be locked pretty tight. 

I inherited my grandfather's egg that is probably from late 90's-2000.  I'm not sure if it's the large or medium by today standards.  Smoking is always a challenge for me because I like to get the fire going, then cool it down.  I have heard people say to start with a small fire, but I like the coals to be white.  I'm not sure if this matters much when using lump, but I don't want my meat to be overwhelmed with charcoal smoke. I want the flavor of the wood chunks.  That being said, it is very difficult to keep the temperature down.  I keep all the vents closed for a good amount of the time, and barely open them when I do.

Here is how I do a regular pork butt,

-light half the coals with an electric starter, then the other half in a chiming starter.  I recently began doing this because it took too long to get a full load burning well on the egg.

-pour the coals in the egg, and add the wood chunks.  Once those appear to be burning good I shut the lid, and close the vents until it gets below 400.

-then i add the conveggtor and pork butt, and close it all back up until it's about 350.

I think it may be a little hot, but I have done 2 this way and it has been turning out good.  I flip it once and foil wrap it 2/3 of the way through.  I initially put the fat cap up when it's really hot, then when I flip it the first time I put bacon on the non-fat cap side. Since I'm going a little hot i think it helps keep it moist.  Then I pour some of the grease that drips off on the butt before I wrap it with foil.

... I like to get the fire going, then cool it down...
This is very tough to achieve on a kamado. I had the most success with temperature control by mixing the lump and the wood together real well and then starting a very small fire.  Then slowly open the vents until cooking temperature achieved.  

This is very tough to achieve on a kamado. I had the most success with temperature control by mixing the lump and the wood together real well and then starting a very small fire.  Then slowly open the vents until cooking temperature achieved.  
Yeah, this is the way to go. Lump isn't going to make the food taste like charcoal smoke. That's the product of pressed briquettes and in that case, yes letting the coals get white is the way to go. But with lumb, there is no added fillers. No petroleum products. Just wood coals. 

Yeah, this is the way to go. Lump isn't going to make the food taste like charcoal smoke. That's the product of pressed briquettes and in that case, yes letting the coals get white is the way to go. But with lumb, there is no added fillers. No petroleum products. Just wood coals. 
I've been opening up all the vents until it starts getting above 150* (if targeting a low and slow 225-250).  Getting these things back down when they run hot is a PITA, so surprised some are overshooting to start.

So yesterday I was given a code for a Thermopro TP20s.   The code was Thermopro99 thru Amazon that brought the item down to less than a dollar.   Code is no longer working.   Problem was several people purchased 10 or more of them at a time for around 4 bucks with the code.  

So yesterday I was given a code for a Thermopro TP20s.   The code was Thermopro99 thru Amazon that brought the item down to less than a dollar.   Code is no longer working.   Problem was several people purchased 10 or more of them at a time for around 4 bucks with the code.  
Thanks? Congratulations on your purchase.

My bro gifted me a couple slabs of wild boar St. Louis style ribs (and some elk sausage w/ apple pear and port wine, yum!) from an exotic meats farm.  I’m quite excited to try it.  Anyone have experience with such a meat?

My bro gifted me a couple slabs of wild boar St. Louis style ribs (and some elk sausage w/ apple pear and port wine, yum!) from an exotic meats farm.  I’m quite excited to try it.  Anyone have experience with such a meat?
Both should be delicious. Cook the ribs just like you would domestic pork ribs. Watch your cooking time with the elk sausage, depending on how much pork fat they add it might dry out easily. Many places don't add enough.

Duuuuude.  The Pomp was good. Perfectly cooked with just a touch of smoke.  I think next time I'll dispense with the dill.  It didn't add anything. Smoked at 180 for about an hour and then 375 for 45 minutes.

Smokano
That looks great. Do you eat the skin (never ate pomp)? Did you brine it?

That looks great. Do you eat the skin (never ate pomp)? Did you brine it?
No brine.  And the fish retained plenty of moisture so I don't think it's needed with Pompano.  I like the taste of the skin on Pompano but I'm not a fan of the texture so I don't eat much of it.  Some day I'll fry it. Crispy Pompano skin would be incredible.

Pompano is one of the most versatile and best eating fish In FL and the Gulf Coast.  Great texture, super flavor, and just oily enough to be easy to cook but not a problem. My favorite way to prepare it is as ceviche but this smoked version is a close 2nd.  Not sure about in the Gulf but they hit the Atlantic beaches pretty hard now through April with March being peak season.  Easy to catch in the surf and if you don't feel like fishing your local fish store should have an abundance from the commercial guys.

No brine.  And the fish retained plenty of moisture so I don't think it's needed with Pompano.  I like the taste of the skin on Pompano but I'm not a fan of the texture so I don't eat much of it.  Some day I'll fry it. Crispy Pompano skin would be incredible.

Pompano is one of the most versatile and best eating fish In FL and the Gulf Coast.  Great texture, super flavor, and just oily enough to be easy to cook but not a problem. My favorite way to prepare it is as ceviche but this smoked version is a close 2nd.  Not sure about in the Gulf but they hit the Atlantic beaches pretty hard now through April with March being peak season.  Easy to catch in the surf and if you don't feel like fishing your local fish store should have an abundance from the commercial guys.
Very nice! :thumbup:  Going to finally put together my Pellet smoker this weekend and may do some fish on it .

I've caught lots of them over the years down in OBX, but always very small (palm size). Plan to eat one as soon as I catch one one big enough. Ceviche, fried and smoked all sound pretty good to me right now.  :fishy:

Users who are viewing this thread