What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (7 Viewers)

Smoked Meatloaf

Been wanting to try this for awhile.  It was OK.  It didn't benefit from the same smoker magic that happens with pulled pork or brisket.  While the cook is relatively fast, I'd probably stick with oven next time. 

I did whip up some sweet potatoes topped with chopped pecans that was pretty GD good. 
Thanks for sharing. Helps us all to learn, even when it isn't a runaway hit.

Smoked Meatloaf

Been wanting to try this for awhile.  It was OK.  It didn't benefit from the same smoker magic that happens with pulled pork or brisket.  While the cook is relatively fast, I'd probably stick with oven next time. 

I did whip up some sweet potatoes topped with chopped pecans that was pretty GD good. 
Interesting, we loved ours and thought it was better than in the oven. I did cook it at 225 though, very similar to what I do with breakfast sausage.

Interesting, we loved ours and thought it was better than in the oven. I did cook it at 225 though, very similar to what I do with breakfast sausage.
My cooked at ~275 for 3 hours.  Took off smoker at internal temperature of 158F.  The result certainly wasn't bad and tasted like smoked meatloaf - I was hoping for something a little more interesting. 

My cooked at ~275 for 3 hours.  Took off smoker at internal temperature of 158F.  The result certainly wasn't bad and tasted like smoked meatloaf - I was hoping for something a little more interesting. 
Oh, that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Question or help.  I did pulled pork yesterday. It turned out good, but I almost get too much bark when I do it on my Kettle grill (it is how I always do it, I don't have a smoker). I see pictures and while there is some bark, mine is completely black.  Is it because I am doing on the Weber with smoke directly on it or is there a trick so it doesn't get so black and crusty?

Question or help.  I did pulled pork yesterday. It turned out good, but I almost get too much bark when I do it on my Kettle grill (it is how I always do it, I don't have a smoker). I see pictures and while there is some bark, mine is completely black.  Is it because I am doing on the Weber with smoke directly on it or is there a trick so it doesn't get so black and crusty?
Once it gets to your desired color, a nice mahogany is what I go for, you can wrap it in foil or butcher paper to keep it from getting black. 

If there is a lot of sugar in your rub that will cause it darken/harden

If your fire is not clean (white smoke, not blue) that will cause it to darken/harden

Try cheese cloth, when the butt gets to the color you desire, cover it with cheese cloth(assuming you don't want to crutch/foil) this will help with the color.

I'd also suggest using Turbinado Sugar if you are making your own rub(s)

snellman said:
Good suggestions above. Might be even easier though (I've done plenty of butts on a kettle and haven't had a bark problem)... are you sure what temperature you're cooking at? I have two Weber Kettles... one has such a tight seal that I can cook at a steady 225 without a problem. The other leaks air all over and it can be really difficult to keep it under 400 for any substantial amount of time. Is it possible you're cooking too hot and the outside is getting overly dried out?

Good suggestions above. Might be even easier though (I've done plenty of butts on a kettle and haven't had a bark problem)... are you sure what temperature you're cooking at? I have two Weber Kettles... one has such a tight seal that I can cook at a steady 225 without a problem. The other leaks air all over and it can be really difficult to keep it under 400 for any substantial amount of time. Is it possible you're cooking too hot and the outside is getting overly dried out?
I am starting to wonder this because i usually achieve "perfect color" after only 3 hours or so.  I haven't set up my thermometer for grill temp but it looks like I am going to have to. 

What are you finding worth grilling at the grocery stores? I hit the stores twice in the last 4 days. Once to grab stuff for the fam and my in laws so they don't have to go out and then the next day my folks called and needed some stuff. Here's what I have:

Tri Tip

3 slabs of ribs

A pork shoulder

Bone in pork chops (think tomahawk pork chops)

(these last 3 came from a care package from the National Pork Council)

Some of the ####tiest steaks you've ever seen

This is all I have for the next two weeks. After this is gone, I'm cracking into my freezer and cooking whatever it is I find. I have milk being delivered weekly along with fruits and veggies. So I'm not going anywhere except maybe to shop for elderly family for quite a while. Thank God by streaming service and the new TV. 

The pork shoulder is going on the smoker tomorrow night. Steaks probably the next night and then I'm going to do take out from some local restaurant. 

I've got quite a bit in my freezer, mostly chicken and steak but also a lamb leg and pork belly. Also a ton of stuff that I have previously "processed" like pulled chicken and pulled pork. And then probably 20-30 pounds of various kinds of sausage made from pork butt.  Some fish and fish cakes. Didn't find anything at the store last week so ate out of the freezer this week. Going to the store once per week and will buy fresh when/if they have it and continue to eat the frozen in the interim.

I've got quite a bit in my freezer, mostly chicken and steak but also a lamb leg and pork belly. Also a ton of stuff that I have previously "processed" like pulled chicken and pulled pork. And then probably 20-30 pounds of various kinds of sausage made from pork butt.  Some fish and fish cakes. Didn't find anything at the store last week so ate out of the freezer this week. Going to the store once per week and will buy fresh when/if they have it and continue to eat the frozen in the interim.
That reminds me that I have a small belly. Nothing crazy, but enough to make pork belly burnt ends for the fam. 

What are you finding worth grilling at the grocery stores?
Pretty much just Pork (mostly lean boneless chops :angry: ).  There has been no chicken or beef the past couple of times I went. I stocked my freezer with bone-in chops, chicken quarters, a few steaks, some shrimp, and a few things form the frozen section (pizza, steak-umms, Bubba Burgers) before it got real crazy. I shouldnt have to go to a grocery store for about 2 weeks.

Ive been doing a lot of grilling the past week, but am doing some panko breaded fried shrimp and french fries for dinner tonight.

Last night was butterflied leg o’ lamb with a rub of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and thyme

Medium rare, sliced, and served with grilled flatbread, tomato, cucumber, black olive hummus, and couscous

Midwinter Nights Dram, Act 6 was the accompanying adult beverage

Pork shoulder tonight. Had to pull it a little early to get the kids fed before bed. I got it on late. Some of it pulled, the rest I had to chop. Ah well. It still tasted great. 

2 slabs of ribs went bad on me. That one hurt. It's not like I can run out to the store for more. I mean I can, but I'm trying like hell to stay in.

I did some terrible looking steaks on Thursday night, but they tasted great. They were thin with not much marbling. I did single hatch on the thinnest ones and cross hatch on one side with the thicker ones. I have one and a half steaks left over for steak and eggs tomorrow. We had bacon and pancakes today. Am I the only one getting really fat during this self quarantine? Either way, I'm actually having a great time. 

Pork shoulder tonight. Had to pull it a little early to get the kids fed before bed. I got it on late. Some of it pulled, the rest I had to chop. Ah well. It still tasted great. 
Did a pork shoulder on Wednesday too :hifive:

Hoping I have some luck in finding more meats to grill this week.

Grilling some t-bones tonight. Picked em up during the first wave of hysteria when I didnt know if I'd be able to get steaks later and they were the last 2 in the store...they're both 16oz so they're pretty thin. Pairing them them with baked potatoes and grilled asparagus.

Next trip to the store (next week) Im gonna try to grab a Boston butt or two.

Last night was butterflied leg o’ lamb with a rub of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and thyme

Medium rare, sliced, and served with grilled flatbread, tomato, cucumber, black olive hummus, and couscous

Midwinter Nights Dram, Act 6 was the accompanying adult beverage
Sounds great. Any pics? I've got one in the deep freeze I'm planning to grill for Easter.

I failed miserably at the thin t-bones. Tried to cook them directly above the coals on my komodo grill, but they cooked through before I could get any char on them. 

Ahh well, they tasted good.

I failed miserably at the thin t-bones. Tried to cook them directly above the coals on my komodo grill, but they cooked through before I could get any char on them. 

Ahh well, they tasted good.
When life gives you thin ribeyes, grind them summ#####es up and make the best steakburger you ever had!

Hey Joe, just curious. Are you still able to do this with things currently as they stand now? I know it's probably tough with social distancing, shelter in place, and self isolation.
We were able to do the BBQ for March on the 11th right before everything got shut down.

We're on standby right now. Our next time is set for mid April and we'll see how we can do this. The ministry I work with serves every Wednesday and they have switched to handing out bag lunches and not doing the big gathering where everyone sits down. The effect if feeding and caring for people is the same. Hopefully we'll have some clarity on what we are able to do there for April soon. 

It's such a concern as this demographic of people were already vulnerable even before this. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We were able to do the BBQ for March on the 11th right before everything got shut down.

We're on standby right now. Our next time is set for mid April and we'll see how we can do this. The ministry I work with serves every Wednesday and they have switched to handing out bag lunches and not doing the big gathering where everyone sits down. The effect if feeding and caring for people is the same. Hopefully we'll have some clarity on what we are able to do there for April soon. 

It's such a concern as this demographic of people were already vulnerable even before this. 
God Bless you. Hoping for the best GB. 

Normally when I do pulled pork, I put 12 to 18 pounds of pork shoulder on the smoker, take a bunch into work, give some more away, and have enough to eat on all week and may or may finish.

Now with WFH, social distancing, emphasis on not wasting meat, and lack of refrigerator space, I have one lonely 6.5 lb butt on the smoker.  Should be good for dinner tonight and maaaaybe a lunch.

After seeing how picked over the meat departments are lalely, I will say that having the ability and/or capacity to handle large cuts of meat is definitely a positive these days.
Not only from a smoking/grilling point of view, but it seems like people shy away even from things that could be done in oven like roasts, whole chickens etc. I don't know if people are just so used to convenience of individual cuts or are intimidated by the larger cuts. Heck, there were even small 3 lb boneless Boston butts there that could easily done in a crock pot.

When your competition rib supplier calls you to offer your team a deal on Iowa Farms Duroc slabs ($100 cash per 10 slab case, out the door), you jump on it. 

Slabs 

Fired up the Pit Boss pellet smoker and I gotta say, not very impressed today. Temps were all over the place. Had to fight it most of the afternoon. 

End result was solid. Great doneness... clean pull with Just a bit of tug. Tenderness suffered a touch with the temp swings, but overall I'm very happy. 

Side note: we have moved to Tennessee MOJO rub for our ribs. Stellar color and flavor profile. Have gotten to know Jay Durbin who owns the brand and won Memphis in May last year.... great guy. Can't recommend his products highly enough. 

When your competition rib supplier calls you to offer your team a deal on Iowa Farms Duroc slabs ($100 cash per 10 slab case, out the door), you jump on it. 

Slabs 

Fired up the Pit Boss pellet smoker and I gotta say, not very impressed today. Temps were all over the place. Had to fight it most of the afternoon. 

End result was solid. Great doneness... clean pull with Just a bit of tug. Tenderness suffered a touch with the temp swings, but overall I'm very happy. 

Side note: we have moved to Tennessee MOJO rub for our ribs. Stellar color and flavor profile. Have gotten to know Jay Durbin who owns the brand and won Memphis in May last year.... great guy. Can't recommend his products highly enough. 
Man, only deals I get calls about are extended warranties for a car I owned 5 years ago...I can’t cook those!

I did, however, find my own deal.  There’s a halal meat joint not too far me from and and they’re selling uncut beef chuck short ribs for $2.99/lb!  Picking up quite a bit tomorrow 

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, only deals I get calls about are extended warranties for a car I owned 5 years ago...I can’t cook those!

I did, however, find my own deal.  There’s a halal meat joint not too far from and and their selling uncut beef chuck short ribs for $2.99/lb!  Picking up quite a bit tomorrow 
That's a killer price. :thumbup:  

Stuck at home for a few more days due to work being closed so I am going to throw a chicken on the Weber tomorrow (was going to do it today, but ended up being too windy).  If I would have been thinking I would have pulled out one of the briskets I have in my freezer from a cow we had butchered last fall, but I think I will save that for when we can actually have friends over.

I was at the grocery store yesterday. There was way more stuff. I picked up a shoulder, some pork steaks and some decent looking steaks. At least there's some marbling. Not very thick. 

My tips for the thin steaks. Get the fire raging hot, and do a single hatch sear on each side and check the temp. If you want them more, then give one side a cross hatch and check the temps again. If you want higher internal temps then give the second cross hatch to the other side.

How do you know if the grill is hot enough. If you can hold your hand right above the grill grates for more than 1 mississippi then it is not hot enough. If you can hold it there for a 3 count, then it's not hot enough. 

Stuck at home for a few more days due to work being closed so I am going to throw a chicken on the Weber tomorrow (was going to do it today, but ended up being too windy).  If I would have been thinking I would have pulled out one of the briskets I have in my freezer from a cow we had butchered last fall, but I think I will save that for when we can actually have friends over.
That's me. I want to feed the friends and neighbors and such. I want to cook so much, but I don't want to bring out the big guns until I can feed a lot more than my 6. Although, when we do the pig roast this year, we might invite a whole lot more over and do a second pig. 

I didn't do a good job of taking pics, but had a nice meal last night of roasted fish (Sheephead caught at the jetty earlier in the day) and jalapeno poppers.  Tried something new with the poppers in the way of filling - 3/8 cubed cojack, refried beans, black beans, jalapeno, white onion, tomato, cumin.  Wrapped in thin cut Nueske's bacon. They turned out great but they're almost "too much". Part of the magic of the garden cream cheese fille standard is the contrast and cooling impact of the cream cheese.

Here fishy fishy

I didn't do a good job of taking pics, but had a nice meal last night of roasted fish (Sheephead caught at the jetty earlier in the day) and jalapeno poppers.  Tried something new with the poppers in the way of filling - 3/8 cubed cojack, refried beans, black beans, jalapeno, white onion, tomato, cumin.  Wrapped in thin cut Nueske's bacon. They turned out great but they're almost "too much". Part of the magic of the garden cream cheese fille standard is the contrast and cooling impact of the cream cheese.

Here fishy fishy
Looks delish. I really have always done whole fish in the oven. Any tips for grill? I have the copper sheets like you have there (even less mesh) if that matters. Could be over kamado/lump or gas (Genesis). 

Looks delish. I really have always done whole fish in the oven. Any tips for grill? I have the copper sheets like you have there (even less mesh) if that matters. Could be over kamado/lump or gas (Genesis). 
I'm really using the grill/smoker as an oven.  I was running behind last night so I started the poppers at 225 for about an hour (would have started lower for more smoke), added the fish and ramped to 250 (when the pic was taken) and then ramped to 275 30 minutes later.  Pulled poppers 15-20 minutes after that and ramped fish to 300 for 15-20 minutes.  Basically just like oven baked but with just a hint of smoke. If I was just cooking the fish, 300 for an hour would have probably been perfect (2 pound fish).  I don't like too much smoke on my whole cooked fish.  

The easy ramping ability and precise temp control is a big part of the magic of the Rec Tec.  It's more precise than my ridiculously expensive inside oven.

Users who are viewing this thread