What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (4 Viewers)

I was looking at the fireboard and almost pulled the trigger but then saw thermoworks had an offering as well. Not sure if anyone has any experience with the below?

https://www.thermoworks.com/Signals

All of this is on hold since I can’t go anywhere anyways. 
Few weeks ago found out that camp chef has an upgrade for the older woodwinds where you can retro fit the wifi controller that comes with the new model. Has a corresponding app which you can use to check and control your smoker from anywhere. $200 but integrated into the smoker which is ideal. I can’t remember who else in this thread bought a woodwind other than @joker @baymen @SayWhat?so fyi.

https://www.campchef.com/wood-pellet-grills-and-accessories/accessories/gen2-wifi-retro-fit.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Timely topic....I Got 10+ good years out of my previous grill (Great Outdoors, which is no longer in business) by replacing burners, grates, etc.

But, now i'm ready to buy a grill and i've done the research and looked at a lot of the previous suggestions provided above.
I'm buying a Weber Spirit II E-310 for $479  (https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/spirit-series/45010001.html) and here's why:

The Spirit II 10 year Warranty on ALL PARTS is what finally sold me.......I figure the extra money spent upfront on the Weber name i will make up over time with the savings from Warranty replacement of the internal parts (such as the Grate, Burner, Tents)
I would have liked to purchase the Series II with a closed cabinet (an extra $50), but apparently the Series II doesn't offer that upgrade yet.  Not a problem since i plan on covering it when not in use anyways.
Need to replace my grill as well.  Had an older Weber that is done (had it about 12 years) and was looking at this one.  Let me know if you like yours. 

ETA - Have a weber kettle and a weber smokey mountain as well.  Use the gas grill for times I don't want to wait for charcoal or something easier to just fire up gas grill like chicken breasts.  The charcoal stuff will still be my work horse grills.  

Decided to try my shrimp marinade on grilled chicken. I was only able to marinate it for 3 hours...next time I'll soak it overnight. That said, it was delicious AF and some of the best chicken I've made on this grill. The 2 small sausages are cuban/brazilian sausages I picked up at the meat market to try...holy wow they were good.

https://i.imgur.com/qZo5fjl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/w6nMhDv.jpg

Thr marinade is just sriracha, olive oil, Worcestershire, garlic, sugar, salt, pepper. SO GOOD.

Decided to try my shrimp marinade on grilled chicken. I was only able to marinate it for 3 hours...next time I'll soak it overnight. That said, it was delicious AF and some of the best chicken I've made on this grill. The 2 small sausages are cuban/brazilian sausages I picked up at the meat market to try...holy wow they were good.

https://i.imgur.com/qZo5fjl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/w6nMhDv.jpg

Thr marinade is just sriracha, olive oil, Worcestershire, garlic, sugar, salt, pepper. SO GOOD.
I’ve never marinated bone in chicken. 

Can you post the approximate amounts of the ingredients please?

Wingnut said:
Sure. Forgot to list cilantro in my post.

1/4 cup sriracha

1/2 cup olive oil

2 TBSP Worcestershire

1 TBSP sugar

1 TBSP minced garlic

1 TBSP chopped cilantro

1 tsp sea salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

Splash of water
I have these huge breast I got from Costco and I think I will use this marinade and grill them tonight. I may throw in a few wings as well.

Thanks GB.

That marinade is my go-to for grilled skewered shrimp, and its awesome for that...its pretty good for chicken, but try it with shrimp and you'll put it in your rotation for sure 

Have a burger question. 

For when grilling burgers at home, what buns do you use?
Whatever looks good in the bakery. Brioche. Sesame seed. Cub foods makes these delicious poppy seed bermuda onion buns. I like a toasted ciabatta bun with goat cheese avocado turkey burgers. Wife likes wheat buns but I am not a fan and since I do the cookin and shoppin, we rarely have to waste a burger on a nasty wheat bun. If making a straight up american cheese burger, the whiter the bun the better. 

On a side note, I made chorizo burgers a month or so ago with slices of avocado on a brioche bun and it was spectacular. 

I know I mentioned it earlier, but if you guys aren't aware of Jay Durbin of Tennessee MOJO BBQ, you should dig in a bit. Based out of west TN he's a lineman by trade who got into Smoking BBQ. We'll he took Top 10 in Ribs at MIM in 2018, and WON Ribs at MIM in 2019. Turns out he knows what he's doing. 

He also has his own line of rubs that are pretty damn good. His Mojo BBQ is amazing on ribs. It's our go-to now. 

He's now started a YouTube Channel that has creative production that fits his offbeat style. For example, here's his first video on his MIM-winning babyback rib process. Some good technique tips in there. 

Spare ribs on a Weber Kettle - MOJO Style

Patty Melt - MOJO Style
Any of you guys know the flavor profiles of those rubs he's using?  I'm trying this method today...never wrapped ribs before and have never added sugar, honey etc in the middle of the cook.  My rub has a bit of brown sugar already in it, so I'm wanting to know if his does too.  If not, then I probably need to cut back on the brown sugar I put in the foil with the ribs.

Thanks!  :thumbup:  

Dan Lambskin said:
I’m here now, it’s 2 bags for $20
That's regular price, no? Lowes has it for $16.88, which isn't great either (15% off). Costco has the Pro version for $6 off ($15 by me for 2x18 lb. bags).

Cross post from BGE thread 

First stab at baby backs on the new BGE

https://imgur.com/gallery/HXncd4H

Think I overcooked slightly, ~4.5 hours but I’m still learning the temps so I was fluctuating between 225-275.  I’d say I finally got them stabilized around 235-240 the last few hours

they basically fell apart when I picked them up, so perfect for the wife but I like them a bit firmer

so much easier than my old smokers though, never had to reload charcoal and only had to play with the vents here and there to get temps where I wanted

So deciding on getting my first pellet smoker...I bought the Traegar and it is in my garage waiting to be assembled, but after coming on here to start thinking of what I am going to smoke first (I do a great shoulder but that may be too much meat for our small family), I was reading the rec-tec review from Ron. I am thinking that the traegar will be “enough” smoker for me, but am intrigued by the rec-tec. I have done a bit of smoking and don’t think that I’ll be doing it every weekend necessarily, but want to get good equipment that will help me along my smoking journey. The size difference (620 vs 700) doesn’t matter too much to me. While I could splurge and spend the extra $500, feels like it may be a bit of overkill for me. Thoughts of those that have used either/both?

Trying something different this weekend - sous vide baby backs. They just went in, gonna let em ride at 155 degrees for 24 hours, then flash em on the grill to give them a nice char/crust. Im sacraficing smoke flavor but Ive been wanting to try this for a while and figure this weekend is good as any to give it a go.

rubbed and sealed

in the cooler bath

Will post pics and a review tomorrow.

So deciding on getting my first pellet smoker...I bought the Traegar and it is in my garage waiting to be assembled, but after coming on here to start thinking of what I am going to smoke first (I do a great shoulder but that may be too much meat for our small family), I was reading the rec-tec review from Ron. I am thinking that the traegar will be “enough” smoker for me, but am intrigued by the rec-tec. I have done a bit of smoking and don’t think that I’ll be doing it every weekend necessarily, but want to get good equipment that will help me along my smoking journey. The size difference (620 vs 700) doesn’t matter too much to me. While I could splurge and spend the extra $500, feels like it may be a bit of overkill for me. Thoughts of those that have used either/both?
A big factor for me was the build quality and copious amounts of heavy gauge stainless. But, I'm in a salt air environment. The PID controller was another factor and it has been rock-solid.  Temp control is important with smoking and this thing holds temp better than our kitchen oven (which cost a ####-ton more than the Rec-Tec). Lastly, was the cold box because I wanted to get into smoking cheese and have a better way for my bacon. I wasn't interested in searing.  I have a NG infrared for that or charcoal if desired. The Wifi control has been nice, but as far as temp monitoring I do prefer the Fireboard app.

Trying spare ribs for the first time on a little Smoke Hollow smoker.  Going to use the 3-2-1 method.
I’m on hour 3 right now of this method with my babybacks in my egg.  Have done it dozens of times and the ribs are perfection (but I like mine fall off the bone not the perfect bite competition style).  

I have a Camp Chef Woodwind and the ability to control heat and smoke independently is superb.  Would definitely recommend

Nothing like spending 30 minutes getting a fire up to 800 to use for just a couple of minutes :lol:  
Yeah, but kamado's at full flow on a lump charcoal burn are spectacular and scary all at the same time. Pretty sure it's the closest I've gotten to a forge.

Wingnut said:
Trying something different this weekend - sous vide baby backs. They just went in, gonna let em ride at 155 degrees for 24 hours, then flash em on the grill to give them a nice char/crust. Im sacraficing smoke flavor but Ive been wanting to try this for a while and figure this weekend is good as any to give it a go.

rubbed and sealed

in the cooler bath

Will post pics and a review tomorrow.
Ribs turned out pretty good. Super tender, alllllmost falling off the bone. Im missing the smoke flavor though. Next time I sous vide I'm gonna do a 6 hour soak and then grill over indirect heat with wood chunks to try to get some smoke flavor. Overall, I give them a 7 out of 10, I can do better. Obligatory pics:

after 24 hours

out of the bags

on grill

one sauced, one plain

Side view, cut

time to grub

Ribs turned out pretty good. Super tender, alllllmost falling off the bone. Im missing the smoke flavor though. Next time I sous vide I'm gonna do a 6 hour soak and then grill over indirect heat with wood chunks to try to get some smoke flavor. Overall, I give them a 7 out of 10, I can do better. Obligatory pics:

after 24 hours

out of the bags

on grill

one sauced, one plain

Side view, cut

time to grub
Looks good.  I have been thinking about sous vide and was also wondering if you can do both sous vide and smoke. 

Did a grilled/BBQ spatchcocked chicken last night. It came out great and I tried making Alabama White Sauce for it for the first time.

The sauce was fine, I guess, but it just seemed like runny aioli to me. We ended up improvising and made “pink BBQ sauce” by mixing the white sauce with some bottled BBQ sauce. 

That was actually damn good.

I was reminded yesterday why it's important to mix things every now and then when cooking BBQ. What you think you like best may have changed (or was never really accurate in the first place).

For years I've been a spare ribs > baby back ribs, and a clean bite cooked rib > fall off the bone. I would wince inside a bit when people talked about their 3-2-1 fall off the bone ribs. Amateurs...

Yesterday I cooked both baby back and spares, fall off the bone and clean bite. My family all preferred the fall off the bone baby backs.

So did I.  :scared:

after 24 hours

out of the bags

on grill

one sauced, one plain

Side view, cut

time to grub
I've read that you can also smoke for an hour or two at low temps like 150 and then seal and sous vide them. Not sure why you'd go through the trouble in FL though instead of just smoking them.

I've read that you can also smoke for an hour or two at low temps like 150 and then seal and sous vide them. Not sure why you'd go through the trouble in FL though instead of just smoking them.
I was just curious and like experimenting, but Ive decided I prob won't SV ribs again...its more work than just smoking them and being done in 5 hours or so.

Cross post from BGE thread 

First stab at baby backs on the new BGE

https://imgur.com/gallery/HXncd4H

Think I overcooked slightly, ~4.5 hours but I’m still learning the temps so I was fluctuating between 225-275.  I’d say I finally got them stabilized around 235-240 the last few hours

they basically fell apart when I picked them up, so perfect for the wife but I like them a bit firmer

so much easier than my old smokers though, never had to reload charcoal and only had to play with the vents here and there to get temps where I wanted
foil up the ones for the wife but don't for yours.  should be good for what each of you wants.

Took my first stab at beef jerky on the Camp Chef tonight. Three lbs of rump roast (that's what the butcher had available), used a basic CC recipe from the website, and had it on two of the three jerky racks from the CC jerky kit you can buy seperately.. Thoughts from the effort:

-The recipe called for two hours at 225, but it wasn't quite done. Left it for another 30 min but didn't check it as I was making meatballs at the same time, and it got overcooked. Not terrible results but I knew I had let it go too far. Had I checked every 5 or 10 min after the initial two hours I would have caught it. 

-Next time I'll definitely flip the racks halfway through (swap top and bottom racks) , and maybe more often. The lower rack was much more well done than the upper. 

-I had the rump roast cut into 1/8" slices, but didn't cut the pieces down to uniform sizes. The finished product ended up being fine but i think uniform sizes would have helped cooking time and appearance. 

-I have to find a tried and true recipe or multiple recipes. The basic CC one I tried tastes good but the recipe amounts for some ingredients (such as Worcester sauce) were much larger than other recipes I've seen, and I could taste it. 

No pics but I'll have some on the next effort. Anyone have tips, recipes, etc? My wife loved it, and I like it, too, but I know it can be so much better. All in all it's damn good, but now I want to be better!

Anybody ever use a Blackstone? Some type of flat top grill. My buddy swears by it and I wouldn’t mind making some breakfast meals on it. 

Users who are viewing this thread