What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Anybody ever use a Blackstone? Some type of flat top grill. My buddy swears by it and I wouldn’t mind making some breakfast meals on it. 
It's basically a griddle in grill form.  We use the concept all the time in camping (not specifically the Blackstone model though).  I am going to be buying a new grill at some point here (keep pushing it off) and I found a company that has a full surface griddle that will fit in place of the grill grates of the grill I am looking at.  It's like cooking on a flattop all the time.

It's basically a griddle in grill form.  We use the concept all the time in camping (not specifically the Blackstone model though).  I am going to be buying a new grill at some point here (keep pushing it off) and I found a company that has a full surface griddle that will fit in place of the grill grates of the grill I am looking at.  It's like cooking on a flattop all the time.
Hmmm. He got a good deal on it and offered it to me at the price he paid. Think I’ll take him up on it, it’s significantly different than my egg so won’t feel duplicitous to have. Firing up the egg to cook some burgers or dogs does get a bit old. 

Hmmm. He got a good deal on it and offered it to me at the price he paid. Think I’ll take him up on it, it’s significantly different than my egg so won’t feel duplicitous to have. Firing up the egg to cook some burgers or dogs does get a bit old. 
oh...absolutely...I'd jump on it.  it's a bit redundant if you have a gas grill IMO, so that's why I haven't gone after one.  I'd use it all the time instead of having to fire up a charcoal grill especially for burgers and stuff like that.  I think they're like $300 or something in the store new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody ever use a Blackstone? Some type of flat top grill. My buddy swears by it and I wouldn’t mind making some breakfast meals on it. 
I have a rectangle cast iron griddle I put on my gas grill.  Its pretty much the only time I use my gas grill anymore.  Works great for smash burgers and bacon, searing steaks.  

oh...absolutely...I'd jump on it.  it's a bit redundant if you have a gas grill IMO, so that's why I haven't gone after one.  I'd use it all the time instead of having to fire up a charcoal grill especially for burgers and stuff like that.  I think they're like $300 or something in the store new.
Yea I don’t have a gas grill. Been using the egg for that, which makes tasty burgers but is also a pain. Should be good to have. 

Yea I don’t have a gas grill. Been using the egg for that, which makes tasty burgers but is also a pain. Should be good to have. 
They are awesome.  In my opinion, burgers are way better when cooked on a griddle especially if you cook the bacon first.  You'll be doing hibachi soon.  Fried rice is amazing.  Hash browns, eggs,  etc.   It's a great compliment to the egg.  

They are awesome.  In my opinion, burgers are way better when cooked on a griddle especially if you cook the bacon first.  You'll be doing hibachi soon.  Fried rice is amazing.  Hash browns, eggs,  etc.   It's a great compliment to the egg.  
Fantastic. Yea I make a good fried rice now but can definitely see this being way better/easier. Nice!

I have the four burner model. Great for all the things you'd expect it to be great for. But it is definitely the least used grill I own. I'm glad I have it, but it's more of a luxury and not something I think you'll use often. 

Edited to add: I brought it to Brewers opening day one year and did a full scale hibachi show. As I was setting up i felt so stupid... this is going to be an enormous swing and miss. It ended up going over amazingly well... everyone came over to watch the show. I literally had 100 drunk people cheering me on. The local news did a live spot with me twirling spatulas, juggling eggs, and then I started flipping shrimp into the crowd and into the news lady's mouth. So I guess owning a Blackstone has it's advantages.

hook us up man!  I'd save millions of dollars a year if I could do this, but I always screw it up.  I can't seem to get it right.
sure - my recipes are uhhhh...loosely defined but this is the long and short of it  

Fried rice 

Meat marinade: 

1 cup soy

1.25 tables hoisen

1 table oyster sauce 

Few shakes sesame oil - maybe even 1, go easy here it’s strong 

Healthy amt Chinese 5 Spice 

3 tables brown sugar 

Marinade for an hour but longer is always better.

Made 4 cuts of pork. Could have put more in. Cook and chill in advance 2 cups of rice for 4-5 people. 

4 carrots, cubed up small

1 onion, same  

6 cloves garlic 

Sauté in butter 

Add rice - shake in to taste oyster and soy, pepper and seasoning salt. Be careful with salt bc of the soy and the marinade  

Add meat 

Add green onions and egg  

DO NOT add sesame oil to rice 

How much meat is ‘4 cuts of pork’? WE’LL NEVER KNOW - I just quickly jot down my notes and go eat lol. Probably a pound to a pound and a half. 

How much meat is ‘4 cuts of pork’? WE’LL NEVER KNOW - I just quickly jot down my notes and go eat lol. Probably a pound to a pound and a half. 
This is how I roll as well :lmao:

I think what I am probably missing is the 5 spice....do you cook the rice fresh or use left over?  Been told left over is better but not sure?

This is how I roll as well :lmao:

I think what I am probably missing is the 5 spice....do you cook the rice fresh or use left over?  Been told left over is better but not sure?
I make it the morning off and then cool it in the fridge. Yea left over it comes together better. 

Capella said:
It's just a griddle.  :shrug:  

Going to try something a little different this weekend. My dad game me an 8 lb pork loin which was already frozen so I was not able to cut it up and freeze like I normally do.  I am going to cut it up into three chunks and put it on the Weber.  I am going to pull 2 of them off a little early than completely done.  After cooling I am going to slice them into chops and freeze.  My thinking is that I can freeze the cooked safer than thawing and refreezing raw and by not completely cooling them, the will hopefully be somewhat juicy still when I thaw them out and throw them on the grill to reheat.

Going to try something a little different this weekend. My dad game me an 8 lb pork loin which was already frozen so I was not able to cut it up and freeze like I normally do.  I am going to cut it up into three chunks and put it on the Weber.  I am going to pull 2 of them off a little early than completely done.  After cooling I am going to slice them into chops and freeze.  My thinking is that I can freeze the cooked safer than thawing and refreezing raw and by not completely cooling them, the will hopefully be somewhat juicy still when I thaw them out and throw them on the grill to reheat.
Flash cool them in an ice bath to limit the danger zone exposure.

Okay....so I have never owned a grill or smoker, and I have no idea what how to grill.  The most I've done is hot dogs and marshmallows over a campfire.  We put in a new patio and I'm ready to take the jump and learn.  I've been looking at a combo grill/smoker from Lowe's.  Anyone have experience with these?  It has good reviews, although some mentioned rusting on the doors.  I'm open to other suggestions.  I have about $500 to spend, and I'm a beginner, so I don't want to get into the fancy ones.  I want to learn what I need to do and then look into something better down the road.

I've been reading through parts of the thread, and there's some great recipies I want to try.  I figured if I'm going to learn how to grill, I might as well learn how to use a smoker as well.  

Okay....so I have never owned a grill or smoker, and I have no idea what how to grill.  The most I've done is hot dogs and marshmallows over a campfire.  We put in a new patio and I'm ready to take the jump and learn.  I've been looking at a combo grill/smoker from Lowe's.  Anyone have experience with these?  It has good reviews, although some mentioned rusting on the doors.  I'm open to other suggestions.  I have about $500 to spend, and I'm a beginner, so I don't want to get into the fancy ones.  I want to learn what I need to do and then look into something better down the road.

I've been reading through parts of the thread, and there's some great recipies I want to try.  I figured if I'm going to learn how to grill, I might as well learn how to use a smoker as well.  
Rather than a combo I might look to get a new gas grill and find a used 18 inch Weber Smokey mountain on Craigslist. 

Rather than a combo I might look to get a new gas grill and find a used 18 inch Weber Smokey mountain on Craigslist. 

Agree with this approach ^ ...another option would be to get an Akorn kamado for $300 and drop $100-200 on a gas grill.

Either way, these combos will let you learn how to make killer BBQ as well as being able to quickly fire up the gas grill when need be.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts after a dozen or so cooks between the two you'll abandon the gas grill for just about everything save for the occasional impromptu cook.

Peak said:

berndog said:

I would agree. All of my smoking is done on a Weber 22 inch grille.  I have a Weber gas that I use for grilling during the week or when I want to fire up something quick.  

Peak said:

The other replies are spot on. Start with a basic Weber kettle and go from there.  It can do a little bit of everything and will give you a good basic foundation.

The other replies are spot on. Start with a basic Weber kettle and go from there.  It can do a little bit of everything and will give you a good basic foundation.
I suggested a Weber Smokey mountain but your right a Weber Kettle Is what he wants.  👍 

A kettle is what I started  smoking with before I graduated to a WSM.  

Peak said:

+1 on the weber smokey mountain.  Great Smoker to learn on.  Some cheap smokers that leak a ton will be painful to learn on.  the WSM is super solid and you should have money to spare to buy a cheap gas grill if you so choose. 

Great idea!

@heckmanm you may want to do the same in the messages you quoted of mine with the links.

Again, sorry for any issues caused. Should know when it is too good to be true, it likely is just that.
Already done. My first clue (well, SECOND after than the "too good to be true" aspect) should have been when I pulled the same grill up on Lowes and it was more than double the "regular" price shown on the fake Weber page.

Already done. My first clue (well, SECOND after than the "too good to be true" aspect) should have been when I pulled the same grill up on Lowes and it was more than double the "regular" price shown on the fake Weber page.
Looks like there is one more to do. Not playing board cop...just want to make sure no one else goes down the rabbit hole you did.

Just ordered myself a new WSM and accessories for father's day. I've been hemming and hawing for 2 years, finally decided to pull the trigger. :excited:   :clap:   :towelwave:
Been doing the same and looking over a ton of new toys.  Have my Weber gass grill that i love for many things.

Been doing other charcoal cooks and smokes in a weber kettle which can be a pain maintaining temps.

Looking over all pros and cons of a wsm, pellet smokers, kamado style grills...

Was intrigued by these masterbuilt gravity charcoal grills but seems they cheaped out on materials and arent quite there yet. Seems like a good idea to go charcoal over pellets if someone can make a quality and cost economical version. 

Just heat and meat.  Simple.  These grillin pros like to make it seem a lot harder than it is. 

I butterflied a pork loin and stuffed it with apples, walnuts and Gorgonzola and rolled it back up.  Smoked it on WSM at 275 with some apple wood for about 90 minutes. 
My wife made some kind of Gorgonzola sauce to drizzle on that and the mashed potatoes and it was delicious. 
Will definitely be doing this again

I butterflied a pork loin and stuffed it with apples, walnuts and Gorgonzola and rolled it back up.  Smoked it on WSM at 275 with some apple wood for about 90 minutes. 
My wife made some kind of Gorgonzola sauce to drizzle on that and the mashed potatoes and it was delicious. 

I've got a pork loin roast sitting in my freezer right now. Any reason I couldn't do something like this with that roast on my CC?

I've got a pork loin roast sitting in my freezer right now. Any reason I couldn't do something like this with that roast on my CC?
Not sure what CC is but as long as you can keep the temp between 250-300 you should be fine. 
Just make sure you sauté the stuffing to par cook the apples 

Been meaning to do this again soon.  Facebook memories have pulled up some pictures where I had done that a few times in the past and I always forget about.

Need to find a new go to cheese to put in there...I have not seen the smoked cheddar/swiss combo I used to use lately.  That stuff was so good with pork.

Last one I did was that cheese with prosciutto...have done it with spinach as well and that is tasty.  Always good to cook for other people as it looks fancier than it really is.

Just ordered myself a new WSM and accessories for father's day. I've been hemming and hawing for 2 years, finally decided to pull the trigger. :excited:   :clap:   :towelwave:
Did my first smoke on Sunday, two racks of baby backs. Approximately 2-2-1, sauced one rack the last half hour. Process went well, no issues, and the ribs turned out very well. Maybe try some chicken or a pork shoulder this weekend. Eventually REALLY looking forward to trying a brisket.

BB ribs on WSM

Flash cool them in an ice bath to limit the danger zone exposure.
Ended up Pulling them off at 140 degrees and put them straight into the fridge (Wife is in the food service business, so I went by what her and her chef told me to do).  Let the cool completely then sliced them up and froze.  I thawed out a package last weekend and threw them on the grill.  I put a little apple Crown Royal mixed with BBQ sauce on them and they turned out well.    They were just a little dry, but  a pork loin chop and be very difficult to keep moist.  I will definitely do it again, but will probably pull them off a little earlier to see if it makes a difference in the moisture.

Trying out my new TipTop temp controller on the Akorn with a single rack of ribs (3-2-1 method)...after overshooting the initial temp and then overcorrecting, I finally got it dialed in. The temp has stayed between 225 and 233 for the past 2 hours. So far so good. Will post an update when they're done.

Users who are viewing this thread