Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
bryhamm

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread***

On 7/3/2020 at 1:11 PM, Dan Lambskin said:

Also I noticed the meat store had some pork shoulders, (I know butt and shoulder get used interchangeably but this was the shoulder aka picnic ham).  Had a nice thick skin on it, anyone ever make one of these?  What’s the best way?  Thinking maybe some carnitas style tacos but open to other suggestions 

Done these a couple times this spring because they were handy and they turned out well.  I took off all the skin and whatever fat on the exterior didn't look great.  Then treated it just like a shoulder.  Rub, smoke to about 160, spraying when I feel like it, wrap with just a bit of liquid, low oven until 205, rest in the cooler, pull.  Different bones but tastes about the same.  

1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

The whole point of the reverse sear is to sear last. You cook it low and slow til you hit your target internal temp, then give it a quick sear for char. This gives you the wall to wall color you see in the steaks without the gray outer band.

Plus, going slow with the steaks allows them to get good smoke flavor from the lump charcoal. They actually taste like they're smoked and then grilled. Fantastic. 

Did this last night with a bone in ribeye. Smoked for about an hour until internal temp was 130, then moved to direct heat on gas grill. Just a kiss of smoke flavor and nice crust. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiefD said:

For those of you guys smoking for 10-12 hours, you may want to look into higher smoke temps. A lot of guys on the local BBQ contests have gone to this technique - and winning.

Cuts cook times dramatically and still produces quality product. I’m talking 300 - 350 degrees.  

I’m a purist as much as anyone, but I have experimented with it and it works.

I agree. I've had good success smoking @ higher temps. I'm smoking a 17.5lb brisket, probably around 15 trimmed, on Monday and will probably cook around 300°-325°. I don't want it to take all day. 

Posted (edited)

Due to the fact that I rode with my wife to Charleston to make 2 separate Covid 19 test swab deliveries I didn't cook for the first time in forever on the 4th. However we did eat good as we stopped at the legendary Scott's BBQ in Hemingway SC for lunch. 

So Damn Good

Yours Truly

Edited by In The Zone

3 hours ago, In The Zone said:

I agree. I've had good success smoking @ higher temps. I'm smoking a 17.5lb brisket, probably around 15 trimmed, on Monday and will probably cook around 300°-325°. I don't want it to take all day. 

I think Franklin cooks everything at 275

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

I think Franklin cooks everything at 275

I'll settle for that. I may start it Sunday night when I get back from Charleston and just let it go all night unattended. If I do that I may opt for 225-250.

You guys have inspired me. I'm going to buy a Camp Chef pellet grill. Unless someone has a reason to not do this. 

2 hours ago, In The Zone said:

Due to the fact that I rode with my wife to Charleston to make 2 separate Covid 19 test swab deliveries I didn't cook for the first time in forever on the 4th. However we did eat good as we stopped at the legendary Scott's BBQ in Hemingway SC for lunch. 

So Damn Good

Yours Truly

Love that place and the Scott family.  Love the countryside around it. Drove through there a couple years ago at cotton harvest time. Magical.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Love that place and the Scott family.  Love the countryside around it. Drove through there a couple years ago at cotton harvest time. Magical.

8 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

I live about an hour away and will definitely be back. Spoke with Rodney Scott's mother and aunt for a few minutes while we waited in line. Very nice people. 

2 hours ago, In The Zone said:

I live about an hour away and will definitely be back. Spoke with Rodney Scott's mother and aunt for a few minutes while we waited in line. Very nice people. 

I had no knowledge of them until 4-5 years ago.  We were participating in an MS fundraiser BBQ event in Houston. Rodney was invited by the Chef who sponsored it and he drove down from SC and built a temporary cinder block pit in the parking lot and smoked whole hogs.  Great guy. Sean Brock came down to.  Also awesome.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

I had no knowledge of them until 4-5 years ago.  We were participating in an MS fundraiser BBQ event in Houston. Rodney was invited by the Chef who sponsored it and he drove down from SC and built a temporary cinder block pit in the parking lot and smoked whole hogs.  Great guy. Sean Brock came down to.  Also awesome.

Just saw the Brock episode of Chef's Table on Netflix.  I'd love to hang with some of these guys, but TBH the conversation would probably sound like Chris Farley interviewing McCartney.

Posted (edited)

Birthday dinner for my wife.

Reverse seared filet, roasted red potatoes (done in the cast iron skillet on the grill), and a baked spinach in a little cream, 5 cheese italian mic and garlic.  And a little red wine on the side.  Spinach i did in the oven as we are waiting on some smaller cast iron to be able to put out there with everything and she didn't want me messing up a different dish on the grill.

Hers cooked to a perfect medium, mine of course to medium rare...

Loving this Kamado Joe.

Might be about the 3rd time in 20 years we used the actual china we have...have used the crystal a few times with family.

Edited by sho nuff
  • Like 7

Smoked a small piece of belly for bacon and some Andouille yesterday. Had some casing struggle so wound up making mini loaves out of some of the Andouille.  I actually like doing some of these as they slice up real nice for cheese plates.

On the smoker.

Finito.

• Like 6

On 7/4/2020 at 12:48 PM, Bull Dozier said:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I just encountered a terrible tragedy in my house.  I lost my hard copy of Mr. Ham's BBQ Sauce recipe.  I got it from these boards probably over a decade ago, and stored it on my work computer.  I got a new computer at work, and it looks like the folder I had saved it in is gone.  My hard copy is gone.

I did a search on the boards, but nothing came up.  Anyone have this recipe, or know the link to the original?

It is amazing sauce.  I had a full 8x10 piece of paper with small font listing the ingredients.  Making ribs today and was hoping to use it, but now I'm dealing with anxiety over the loss of the classic.

@Mr. Ham

Posted (edited)

Smoked some chicken on the 4th. Did two whole birds (about 5 lbs. each), and 7 large boneless skinless breasts. Meat from the whole birds was used for enchiladas, and the breast meat was shredded for sandwiches. 3 hours for the whole chickens, and 2 hours for the breasts, @ 250*. Turned out really well; wife loved the smoked breast meat. Enchiladas were excellent as well. Wife made a white sauce that was tasty.

Rubbed birds

On the WSM

Finnish Finished breasts

Whole chickens, smoked

Shredded chicken

Edited by lardonastick
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, psychobillies said:

Haven't seen him around for a while, but I did find my copy.  Thank goodness for Gmail never deleting anything.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

Haven't seen him around for a while, but I did find my copy.  Thank goodness for Gmail never deleting anything.

You wanna post it here?

1 hour ago, lardonastick said:

Smoked some chicken on the 4th. Did two whole birds (about 5 lbs. each), and 7 large boneless skinless breasts. Meat from the whole birds was used for enchiladas, and the breast meat was shredded for sandwiches. 3 hours for the whole chickens, and 2 hours for the breasts, @ 250*. Turned out really well; wife loved the smoked breast meat. Enchiladas were excellent as well. Wife made a white sauce that was tasty.

Rubbed birds

On the WSM

Finnish Finished breasts

Whole chickens, smoked

Shredded chicken

Those whole chickens look tasty

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

You wanna post it here?

:lmao: Apparently not. He just wanted us all to be jealous that he still has it.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

2 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

He posts over in the political forum so it's likely he's on a timeout. 

9 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Smoked a small piece of belly for bacon and some Andouille yesterday. Had some casing struggle so wound up making mini loaves out of some of the Andouille.  I actually like doing some of these as they slice up real nice for cheese plates.

On the smoker.

Finito.

Andouille looks amazing. :drool:

On 7/4/2020 at 10:04 PM, leftcoastguy7 said:

You guys have inspired me. I'm going to buy a Camp Chef pellet grill. Unless someone has a reason to not do this. 

I just purchased a Woodwinds Wifi24 w/Sear Box directly from Camp Chef's website.  The delivery was a nightmare, resulting in a damaged hopper, but Camp Chef stepped up immediately and sent me an entire hopper assembly.  The bonus was that they didn't want anything sent back, which gives me spares of about the only items that could fail with the grill (controller, auger motor, fans, and temp probes).

As far as cooking on it, I absolutely love it so far.  I've only done a few things, so still learning, but what I have done so far has been fantastic.  Did a brisket and smoked some salmon as far as slow/low/smokey stuff, as well cooked as some steaks and chicken breasts using it for general grilling... it's all been outstanding.  The sear box is excellent as well, allowing reverse searing of the steaks, as well as giving me a propane option for basic things like burgers, brats, and dogs.

I went back and forth on the Camp Chef vs a comparable Traeger, in the end, I felt like the Camp Chef just gave me more for the money.  The Sear Box was a big factor, and something I highly recommend if you intend on replacing your primary grill with the pellet grill.  Incredibly useful.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

You wanna post it here?

Here you go.  Makes a lot.  My comments in red, the rest are the notes from the original.

·       1 1/3 cups Blackstrap Mollasses

·       1 1/3 cups loosely packed brown sugar

·       1/2 cup pure cane sugar

·       1/3 cup Red Raspberry vinegar (apple cider)

·       1 - 15 oz. can of Hunt's tomato sauce

·       2 1/2 tablespoons Cholula Chili Garlic hot sauce (I do Franks Red Hot Sauce)

·       10oz Hunt's tomato paste

·       1 cup honey

·       2/3 cup apple cider vinegar

·       6 cups Heinz tomato ketchup

·       2 cups Annie's Naturals Organic ketchup (thicker than Heinz)

·       NOTE: It's not absolutely essential that you use the same ketcups I do. I initially made a batch with Heinz and the overall sauce was a bit thin. I found that adding the thicker ketchup created the perfect texture. I think adding just the thicker ketchup would make the overall sauce too thick. So this is how I make it. If you have your own recipe for ketchup or want to substitute, fine. The overall thickness of the sauce should be such that if you put it in a spoon and pour it, it takes a moment for the sauce to pour off.) (I do all generic ketchup (why pay for Heinz when you're adding so much seasoning?) and cook it down for a while until it is the thickness I desire).

·       1/2 cup corn syrup

·       OPTIONAL: 1 3/4 tablespoons Figaro liquid smoke (Some people think this is blasphemy. I like the taste.)

·       1 level teaspoon Pete's House Blend coffee grounds (I've never added coffee, as we are not coffee drinkers so I don't have this around)

·       1/4 cup Marinelli's Apple Juice

·       2 tablespoons Pomegranate Juice Concentrate (This is expensive. Can substitute with pineapple juice.)(I just do grape juice concentrate, sometimes a little more and no juice, this recipe certainly is more art than science)

·       1/2 cup Chimay Ale (Peres Trappistes) (Again, I'm a snob. You could probably use Coors and it'd be close enough.)(I just do whatever beer I have in the house.  Half the beer in the pot, half to drink while adding the rest)

·       1 teaspoon celery salt

·       1/2 teaspoon paprika

·       1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

·       2 teaspoons onion powder

·       1 tablespoon dried minced onions

·       1 1/2 tablespoons Chipolte chile pepper

·       1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper

·       1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

·       2 tablespoons rosemary (I personally like the fact that there's rosemary randomly in the sauce. If you don't want this, crush it or don't use it or strain the sauce.)

·       1/2 teaspoon ground oregano

·       1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

·       1 teaspoon basil leaves

·       1 teaspoon salt

·       3 LARGE cloves freshly pressed garlic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Nice evolution for me this past weekend. 

Friday did homemade pizza again as I've done many times, but with the hot weather, I opted to put the pizza stone on the grill instead of the indoor oven.  With the higher heat on the grill, I finally got that char on the crust that I've wanted.  Only downside is that bottom still cooks a little hotter than top, so char was primarily under crust.  Baby steps. (I've done pizza once on the kamado smoker at high temps and the family didn't like the smoky taste... weirdos).

Saturday did brisket with high heat method.  I'm a convert.  Put 10 lb packer on the smoker around 630am.  Temperatures stayed around 310 to 330 the whole time.  It hit 205 at 1:45pm (~7 hours).  I had family coming over for dinner, so I put in foil, towel, cooler thing until 6pm.  Still was hot to the touch and tasted every bit as good as any brisket I've done.   I didn't get the wood chunks co-mingled with the burning charcoal like I wanted, so it was light on smokiness for my liking, but still damn good. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brony said:

Friday did homemade pizza again as I've done many times, but with the hot weather, I opted to put the pizza stone on the grill instead of the indoor oven.  With the higher heat on the grill, I finally got that char on the crust that I've wanted.  Only downside is that bottom still cooks a little hotter than top, so char was primarily under crust.  Baby steps. (I've done pizza once on the kamado smoker at high temps and the family didn't like the smoky taste... weirdos).

Saturday did brisket with high heat method.  I'm a convert.  Put 10 lb packer on the smoker around 630am.  Temperatures stayed around 310 to 330 the whole time.  It hit 205 at 1:45pm (~7 hours).  I had family coming over for dinner, so I put in foil, towel, cooler thing until 6pm.  Still was hot to the touch and tasted every bit as good as any brisket I've done.   I didn't get the wood chunks co-mingled with the burning charcoal like I wanted, so it was light on smokiness for my liking, but still damn good. 

I did a pizza on my akorn and liked it.....but my family hated it....also said it was too smoky and didnt like that....any way to help with that?  

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Brony said:

I have one of these and it is fantastic and solves exactly the problem that you describe.

https://shop-usa.bakerstonebox.com/Pizza-Oven-Boxes/Original-Series-Pizza-Oven-Box-Kit.html

Edited by Ron Swanson
  • Love 1

Does anyone have an outdoor kitchen?  Thinking about building one myself with a DIY kit.

Looking for a meat recommendation to smoke this weekend. Will be using my in-laws smaller Traeger. Need to smoke something that is not pork due to the Jews in the family. Feeding 8 adults, 7 kids.

Anything, beef-wise, you'd recommend besides brisket or beef ribs? Cost is an issue - don't want to blow over $100 just on meat alone. Although, as I type that, I may sound like a cheapskate when I'm considering 15 people.

5 hours ago, rail said:

Looking for a meat recommendation to smoke this weekend. Will be using my in-laws smaller Traeger. Need to smoke something that is not pork due to the Jews in the family. Feeding 8 adults, 7 kids.

Anything, beef-wise, you'd recommend besides brisket or beef ribs? Cost is an issue - don't want to blow over $100 just on meat alone. Although, as I type that, I may sound like a cheapskate when I'm considering 15 people.

Chuck roast for some pulled beef sammiches...yum!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rail said:

Short ribs, chuck roast, shoulder clod, or cabeza.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rail said:

Get a few large cheap beef roasts. Smoke till the IT reaches your preferred level of doneness, slice thin for pit beef sandwiches. Easy, cheap and awesome.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Short ribs, chuck roast, shoulder clod, or cabeza.

If you go the cabeza route, be sure to remove the tongue and cook it separate.  But be sure to chop up everything else to make a delicious mixta barbacoa.

8 hours ago, rail said:

I would suggest getting several Eye of Round roasts.  Trim the fat layer and inject with Moores.  Smoke at 250 for around 4 hours or till 135-140 internal.  Let stand and then you can cut them in several ways.  Slice as sandwich meat, slice as 1.5 inch steaks or slice 1.5 inch steaks and then slice the steak into strips(my preference)  Season the strips with salt/pepper/garlic powder.

You should be able to get eye of round at around 4.39-4.99 a LB so its not expensive.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rail said:

Chuck Roast Burnt Ends

• Thanks 1

Do you have a trusted, impartial source for grill/smoker reviews?

It feels like every grill review I read was written by the company itself.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

Do you have a trusted, impartial source for grill/smoker reviews?

It feels like every grill review I read was written by the company itself.

I'd imagine you could just ask posters in this thread for opinions on grills/smokers you are interested in and you'd get a very well informed review.

Also did a quick search and this seems like a good source

https://smokeysteakranch.com/best-smokers-reviews/

Edited by Megla
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just finished a couple of filets...did them at 225° in the oven until 115°, then seared them on the Akorn over blazing lump for about a minute and a half per side. Paired them with cauliflower mash, sauteed mushrooms and asparagus. Everything was perfect. Next time Ill skip the oven and do them start to finish on the grill for better flavor throughout, but it was still a stellar meal.

Ssssteaks

115° internal temp

seared and resting

plated

money shot

Edited by Wingnut
  • Like 5

Trying out the eye(s) of round (s) tonight. Will report back. Thanks everyone!

Not so much Grilling or Smoking, but took my first stab at Picanha steak tonight.

Coarse Salt Only

Sous Vide @ 135 for 2 hours 

Sear in cast iron (touch of unsalted butter) and hit the fat cap with a torch. 

Oh. My. God. 
So rich and tender.

One of the best steaks I've ever had. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Have a slab of baby backs going on later today...should be about 3 hours at 275 or so.

Also some thick cut pork chops (off of a pork loin I had done last week).  As my wife and daughter won't eat ribs...this will give a few ribs for my son and he will eat some of the chops as well and the rest of the ribs for me.

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2020 at 1:55 PM, Brony said:

To not get that char under the crust, try parchment paper. I use it and it works great. 

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, [icon] said:

Not so much Grilling or Smoking, but took my first stab at Picanha steak tonight.

Coarse Salt Only

Sous Vide @ 135 for 2 hours 

Sear in cast iron (touch of unsalted butter) and hit the fat cap with a torch. 

Oh. My. God. 
So rich and tender.

One of the best steaks I've ever had. 

Traitor!  We need this action in the SV thread, leave these grilling heathens alone!

• Laughing 2

1 hour ago, Capella said:

I bought one a few weeks ago and use it quite a bit. Made big breakfast on it this morning and it was delicious. I got the one with the lid on it which is nice. Burgers are money as well and have done those a few times too. It gets hot cooking on it though so gotta make sure you have plenty of cold beverage on hand.