What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

TheFanatic said:
OK, so I've been away for a while. I was furloughed from the day job in May and had to take this side gig to the next level. On that front, mission accomplished. I will not be going back to the day job. Being my own boss is the coolest thing ever. Luckily God blessed me in June with my best month ever and August was my second best month ever. Those two months I earned more than half my yearly salary of the day job. So yeah, I'm out. More good news. More time to do content for the website I had been neglecting for quite some time. 

Now onto a fun note. I am working with a new grill company. Hooray Grill Company. Well, truth be told, I'm working with 5 different grill companies. All of them are very different. I have projects with Primo, Beefer, American Made Grills (formerly American Muscle Grills), Green Mountain Grills and Hooray. Speaking of the latter, check this beast out - Hooray Grill Company. They make Santa Maria Style cookers. They are ridiculously over engineered. This grill will out last me by a good century. We did a s'mores bar with the Hooray
Awesome news! Very happy for you. Now, don't be a stranger 'round these parts!

TheFanatic said:
OK, so I've been away for a while. I was furloughed from the day job in May and had to take this side gig to the next level. On that front, mission accomplished. I will not be going back to the day job. Being my own boss is the coolest thing ever. Luckily God blessed me in June with my best month ever and August was my second best month ever. Those two months I earned more than half my yearly salary of the day job. So yeah, I'm out. More good news. More time to do content for the website I had been neglecting for quite some time. 

Now onto a fun note. I am working with a new grill company. Hooray Grill Company. Well, truth be told, I'm working with 5 different grill companies. All of them are very different. I have projects with Primo, Beefer, American Made Grills (formerly American Muscle Grills), Green Mountain Grills and Hooray. Speaking of the latter, check this beast out - Hooray Grill Company. They make Santa Maria Style cookers. They are ridiculously over engineered. This grill will out last me by a good century. We did a s'mores bar with the Hooray
Congrats Fanatic. 

Awesome news! Very happy for you. Now, don't be a stranger 'round these parts!
That's the thing. When I had the day job, i had a lot of down time, and I killed some of that time here. Now that I work for myself, I don't. I take one of my kids to lunch or breakfast a couple times a week. With four kids, it's really hard to get one on one time so I take them out individually. In fact, last year I took one at a time to a different city to spend a weekend with dad. I'll try to check in from time to time. But it won't be as frequent. Now that I have to pay myself, my time is way more valuable. 

I have the two burner with the attached lid and i can make like 15+ burgers at a time easy or for additional context an entire package of bacon at once which is super awesome. Plenty big enough to cook for 4+ people. I thought the same thing about the two burner version being too small but was totally wrong. 

Pro tip - get the foil inserts for the grease trap.
Thanks.  That is exactly the amount of stuff I'm looking to do.  Will likely go with the 2 burner one then.  And yes, would be looking for the whole setup with the lid and not the table top design.

I've got the 4 burner one. It really depends on how often you cook for bigger groups. I've brought it tailgating and have used it to cook for larger family gatherings, so for me the 4 burner option is the way to go even though I only use the entire cooking space a few times a year. When I'm just cooking for our family of 5 I usually just use half the griddle. 

That is another option to consider.  When I got my WSM, I was debating between 22in and 18in.  I knew I would only need the 18in one 90-95% of the time.  But, for that one, there isn't really a way to dial it back.  You still need enough fuel and air to get the temp where you want it.  So, I settled for the 18in.

With this, I could simply use only 1/2 if needed.  Will have to keep that in mind before I ultimately get one.

Thanks.

That is another option to consider.  When I got my WSM, I was debating between 22in and 18in.  I knew I would only need the 18in one 90-95% of the time.  But, for that one, there isn't really a way to dial it back.  You still need enough fuel and air to get the temp where you want it.  So, I settled for the 18in.

With this, I could simply use only 1/2 if needed.  Will have to keep that in mind before I ultimately get one.

Thanks.
Unless space on your deck or wherever you'll put it is an issue you gotta go large!

Picked mine up yesterday curbside at ****'s Sporting Goods 30 min after ordering it. It was $40 cheaper than Amazon, and got it two weeks sooner than I would have otherwise. I'll be cooking on it all weekend.

Thanks.  That is exactly the amount of stuff I'm looking to do.  Will likely go with the 2 burner one then.  And yes, would be looking for the whole setup with the lid and not the table top design.
Don’t get me wrong, I would have bought the bigger one if it was available even though I didn’t need it. Just wasn't in stock and the smaller one is perfect for the space I have outside so blessing in disguise.

Unless space on your deck or wherever you'll put it is an issue you gotta go large!

Picked mine up yesterday curbside at ****'s Sporting Goods 30 min after ordering it. It was $40 cheaper than Amazon, and got it two weeks sooner than I would have otherwise. I'll be cooking on it all weekend.
Big breakfast, fried rice and burgers are amazing on this thing. 

I bought the spatula cook set with the two squeeze bottles (oil and water) and a cooking lid to melt cheese/steam veggies and the burger smasher thing (gonna use it to make cubanos). My wife thinks I am a dork but it’s just a fun thing to cook on.

Didn't even know ##### carried them.  Only local place I knew of was Walmart.  Will have to check there too.

I don't have the Blackstone or the conventional griddle similar to it. I have a round Ofyr which is much of an art piece as it is a grill. All I know is the lids would be nice. I had to buy kloches (sp). Those little lid things that really help with melting the cheese on burgers. 

I also want to say that seafood is the BEST on griddle grills. Scallops in particular. The crust they produce is AMAZING. For those that don't have a griddle grill, look at a cast iron pan to grill scallops. 

This thing is a monster :lmao:

There is nothing "cheap" about a single part to this thing outside of the wires that go to the internal probe...they could be a little heavier duty.  I'm assuming the smart thing to do is to line the drip tray with foil before use?
Yes on the foil. It will make cleanup a bit easier.  I don't bother lining the bucket.  Protip - clean out the bucket and drip tray real good the next time you cook a pork butt or brisket, or beef ribs.  Capture the grease at the end of the cook and you'll have some awesome smoky lard or tallow.

I assume those with Recteq pellet grills have been happy with them to date?  I'm considering the 590.
I've had 4 family members buy the RT-700 after using mine. They all love them.  One bought the 590.  He has struggled a bit with it.  I think its partially him and partially the way it vents (no stack). The 590 is nice and built well, but for $300 more I'd consider the RT-700 for the large rear hopper, better venting, and available options.

Yes on the foil. It will make cleanup a bit easier.  I don't bother lining the bucket.  Protip - clean out the bucket and drip tray real good the next time you cook a pork butt or brisket, or beef ribs.  Capture the grease at the end of the cook and you'll have some awesome smoky lard or tallow.
As far as pellets go, do you just leave them in the grill here in Florida or is the humidity too much for that?

As far as pellets go, do you just leave them in the grill here in Florida or is the humidity too much for that?
I leave them in. Never had a bit of an issue.  The smoker lives on a covered porch and I put the cover on most of the time when not using it, but I've been caught by a few storms both cooking and idle and not a bit of moisture or water has gotten to the pellets.

I leave them in. Never had a bit of an issue.  The smoker lives on a covered porch and I put the cover on most of the time when not using it, but I've been caught by a few storms both cooking and idle and not a bit of moisture or water has gotten to the pellets.
Thanks :thumbup: I'm in the same boat...under our pool cover with a grill cover.  I've just heard of augers getting jammed because of swollen pellets etc and wasn't sure if that was because water got in or if humidity would do the trick.

Working on country style pork ribs tonight.

Tomorrow is my son’s 20th birthday so we’re grilling a big tomahawk steak for him, a couple fat ribeyes and two filets. 

Monday I’m doing a 6# pork butt. 

gb grilling 
Nice...my son is about to turn 16...his request after my first few cooks on the Kamado Joe...having a few friends over for Ribs and wings (after he witnessed a couple of my friends and I having wings doing some of the hotter sauces from Hot Ones...and he got in on a few including the last dab).  He now wants his friends to feel a bit of that spicy pain.

Anyone with pellet grills use the "searing grates"?  Neighbor swears by them, but I"m not sure.  I can't think that they are as good as cranking up a hot cast iron skillet on the stove, but in an effort to keep that kind of stuff out of the house (all the smoke, smell etc) it might be worth it even if not "perfect"?

Anyone with pellet grills use the "searing grates"?  Neighbor swears by them, but I"m not sure.  I can't think that they are as good as cranking up a hot cast iron skillet on the stove, but in an effort to keep that kind of stuff out of the house (all the smoke, smell etc) it might be worth it even if not "perfect"?
I have some that came with my RT700. I used them once for burgers but they just don't get hot enough for me. They're probably OK on a hotter grill but I haven't tried them there.

I have some that came with my RT700. I used them once for burgers but they just don't get hot enough for me. They're probably OK on a hotter grill but I haven't tried them there.
So, in your view, it wouldn't be all that different than putting a cast iron skillet or flat plate in the existing grill itself?  I want this to be the only thing I have, so I don't have another heat source outside of putting the cast iron pan on the cooktop or on the grill.  I could get a grill plate too I guess.

So, in your view, it wouldn't be all that different than putting a cast iron skillet or flat plate in the existing grill itself?  I want this to be the only thing I have, so I don't have another heat source outside of putting the cast iron pan on the cooktop or on the grill.  I could get a grill plate too I guess.
It might distribute the heat a little more evenly than cast iron unless you put the cast iron in the oven first but it certainly doesn't get any hotter than what the smoker can get on it's own. 500 ish max. Now, that's about the max for most residential ovens and stoves so unless you've got high power gas burners or charcoal you probably aren't going to exceed that anyway. Just be sure to change the foil on the grease tray before running it up that high or it will get real smoky. The only time I ran mine that high I didn't do that and I remember thinking, "huh, it's generating more smoke at high heat than the extreme smoke setting, that's odd".

It might distribute the heat a little more evenly than cast iron unless you put the cast iron in the oven first but it certainly doesn't get any hotter than what the smoker can get on it's own. 500 ish max. Now, that's about the max for most residential ovens and stoves so unless you've got high power gas burners or charcoal you probably aren't going to exceed that anyway. Just be sure to change the foil on the grease tray before running it up that high or it will get real smoky. The only time I ran mine that high I didn't do that and I remember thinking, "huh, it's generating more smoke at high heat than the extreme smoke setting, that's odd".
:lmao:   Everything I've read says you should change the foil every 3-4 cooks, but that leaves me :mellow:  as I know what comes off the meat, especially smoking and I just don't see how changing after every smoke isn't the play.  Might not generate enough material grilling burgers, steaks, chicken whatever, and that can go several cooks, but the rest seems like every single time, just like I do on the bullet.  So you use some other way for searing I am guessing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Egg holding steady at 250- check

babybacks dry rubbed 24 hrs ahead of time- check

ribs at room temp- check

2-2-1 method ready for lift off!  T-minus 5 hrs to deliciousness.  
I've been reading a lot about ribs on kamado grills in a few forums...the consensus is that you don't need to wrap ribs because the kamado actually stays rather humid inside when cooking low and slow...

Unless you like them fall off the bone, you could probably skip the foil. I did some this way the other day and they turned out great. Next time Ill crank up the fire a bit more for the final 15 minutes or so so get a little better bark, but they were just as good as any ribs Ive wrapped, without the extra steps.

I've been reading a lot about ribs on kamado grills in a few forums...the consensus is that you don't need to wrap ribs because the kamado actually stays rather humid inside when cooking low and slow...

Unless you like them fall off the bone, you could probably skip the foil. I did some this way the other day and they turned out great. Next time Ill crank up the fire a bit more for the final 15 minutes or so so get a little better bark, but they were just as good as any ribs Ive wrapped, without the extra steps.
Thanks. I do like the fall of the bone style.  Also have done this probably 50+ times so I’m stuck in my habit. Lol

Didn't know that about these style of grills. Good know. I do a 3:1 water:apple cider vinegar mix that I put on the lower rack that helps add some moisture and flavor during those first 2 hours.  Might be a step I could skip knowing this but, old habits and the like....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I do like the fall of the bone style.  Also have done this probably 50+ time so I’m stuck in my habit. Lol

Didn't know that about these style of grills. Good know. I do a 3:1 water:apple cider vinegar mix that I put on the lower rack that helps add some moisture and flavor during those first 2 hours.  Might be a step I could skip knowing this but, old habits and the like....
Yeah that was another thing Ive read about, the water pan. Lots of people think its pretty unnecessary as well, but its not like it's gonna ruin meat or anything...its really just a matter of preference. Sometimes Ill use one, other times not.

Here's one of the threads about it I came across just the other day

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/25159-to-use-water-pan-with-ribs-or-not/

As good as the pork tenderloin was tonight with a touch of pecan smoke...the star tonight and what has been just rick solid every tome is quartered petite res potatoes in the cast iron on the Kamado.   Tonight cooked in touch of bacon grease and a similar garlic and cajun seasoning as the pork.   They were just too freaking good.

I adopted an older Weber Performer with a stainless steel  work surface and have had problems with  rainwater collecting in the  ash bucket.  I started with a Weber  22"  redhead with an ash pan purchased  in 1994 and stii use.  I've never seen water colllecing in the redhead's ash pan.

Any ideas why and how to address?

:lmao:   Everything I've read says you should change the foil every 3-4 cooks, but that leaves me :mellow:  as I know what comes off the meat, especially smoking and I just don't see how changing after every smoke isn't the play.  Might not generate enough material grilling burgers, steaks, chicken whatever, and that can go several cooks, but the rest seems like every single time, just like I do on the bullet.  So you use some other way for searing I am guessing?
Yes, I have a Napoleon NG grill that has a crazy hot infrared sear station.  I use that grill for that sear station and to run my pizza oven.  Since I don't run the Bull very hot I typically change the foil when I reload pellets (every 40-50 hours)and dump the grease bucket, unless I'm trying to save whatever I'm rendering.

Yes, I have a Napoleon NG grill that has a crazy hot infrared sear station.  I use that grill for that sear station and to run my pizza oven.  Since I don't run the Bull very hot I typically change the foil when I reload pellets (every 40-50 hours)and dump the grease bucket, unless I'm trying to save whatever I'm rendering.
Ok, thanks.  Trying to consolidate here, though I do have a turkey fryer.  I guess there is nothing stopping me from firing that thing up with a cast iron skillet on it or a cast iron grill pan :lol:  

Grilled up some flank steak last night and had it on warm flour tortillas with chimichurri, guac, black bean & corn salsa, and shredded lettuce. 

Fantastic
Last I did flank steak I grilled a lot of sliced onion and belle peppers, then served as Fajitas on tortilla with a mean salsa. Heaven! Leftovers, if any fit a tzatziki fabulously in a bun

Doing my first brisket this weekend to celebrate the return of football.  Started it at 9:00 last night because I wanted it to be ready for noon.  Was very nervous about my WSM holding heat all night and didn't sleep well because of it.  The WSM did a very good job of keeping temp all night, we are currently at 175 and should be good to go for lunch.

As requested by my son for his birthday (which is today but he had friends over last night)...3 racks of ribs and about 40 wings done last night.  Ribs turned out fantastic as did the wings.

About 5 hours at 250 for the ribs...2 racks just dry rubbed, 1 rack sauced for the last half hour.  Then wings in my usual mix of olive oil, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and salt.  Cranked the Kamado Joe up to 400-450 for the wings once the ribs were done.

Then served up a little mini hot ones for the boys.  Started off easy with some chipotle sauce I have, some garlic wings sauce...then kicked up up a bit higher than expected with the Adoboloco Fiya Fiya.  It rated 6th hottest on a season of hot ones.  Dang I must have got a hotter batch because it kicked in hard.  Hotter than the "Burn after Eating" that was rated hotter...though, maybe that was because I was numb by then.  Both very tasty sauces.  Had an assortment of other sauces...asian zing, pain is good chipotle and garlic...and some regular BBQ.   Kids seemed to enjoy without subjecting them to Da Bomb or the Last Dab.  Fiya Fiya had them sweating and their lips on fire enough.  Would be a great sauce in some kind of rice and chicken dish...like with cilantro lime rice and a few hits of the sauce to heat it up.

Users who are viewing this thread