What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Grilled up a couple of 9oz filets on the kamado a little while ago. Paired them with sauteed asparagus (w/butter/garlic/umami powder), and crispy skin salt-roasted baked potatoes topped w/butter, sour cream, bacon, and fresh chives.

Rubbed the steaks with a blend of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, and a little ground coffee. Grilled them over direct heat about 3 min per side, and finished them indirect til an IT of about 115, pulled em & topped each w/a pat of black truffle butter and let em rest for 10 minutes. Delicious.

plated

Wall to wall

Last edited by a moderator:
Wingnut said:
Grilled up a couple of 9oz filets on the kamado a little while ago. Paired them with sauteed asparagus (w/butter/garlic/umami powder), and crispy skin salt-roasted baked potatoes topped w/butter, sour cream, bacon, and fresh chives.

Rubbed the steaks with a blend of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, and a little ground coffee. Grilled them over direct heat about 3 min per side, and finished them indirect til an IT of about 115, pulled em & topped each w/a pat of black truffle butter and let em rest for 10 minutes. Delicious.
I like my steaks on the rare side, but 115?  Damn. 

Looks great btw. 

We did a lot of outdoor work this year which we bought at Menards so have a couple hundred dollars coming back in rebates.
Our current Electric smoker is about to die so looking to upgrade to a Pellet smoker.

Below are the 3 I've been looking at to buy with the rebates. Looking for insight from others if they have any of the brands and/or advice.

Big Horn® Teton 1375 Wood Pellet Grill - $355

Oklahoma Joe's® Rider 900 Wood Pellet Grill -  $428

Pit Boss® Portable Ranch Hand Wood Pellet Grill - $294

Originally we were going to go with the Pit Boss.... but reviews that I found stated the Customer Service sucked and that they tended to break down and hard to get parts.
So after many trips to the store and reviewing sites and YouTube videos we went with the Oklahoma Joe Pellet grill.

Video of smoking Chicken legs from Dead Broke BBQ 🤤

We'll be doing Ribs this weekend and I'll try to remember to take some video/Picture and share.

I like my steaks on the rare side, but 115?  Damn. 

Looks great btw. 
Yeah, every time I've taken them to about 120, they end up in the medium range after a sear or rest, so I tried 110° and it was a bit too rare...I moved it up to 115° for the past few cooks and I've been really happy with the end results. Pretty much like the pic every time.

There is a slightly used WSM 22" for sale for $160.  I was looking at getting the 18" since I don't smoke a lot at one time.  Any reason not to get the 22"?

Smoked up 3 whole chickens yesterday (two 4 lb birds and a 6lb bird)...about 325 for a bit.  Hand pulled/shredded the meat.  Actually freezing this to take to the beach...will reheat in the crock pot in some chicken broth and seasonings to use as fajitas.  Did this a few weeks back as I was smoking a turkey breast and put 2 chickens on to shred and use the meat on salads and things...decided to try it different with the fajitas and it worked out really well.   

Took 4 of the wings off to have as a little appetizer last night and they were delicious.

There is a slightly used WSM 22" for sale for $160.  I was looking at getting the 18" since I don't smoke a lot at one time.  Any reason not to get the 22"?
Have one....they use more fuel than the 18s and that becomes obvious when you dump almost a bag of charcoal in the bottom for one pork butt.  If you KNOW you won't be smoking a lot, go with the smaller.  You'll be saving money within the year in fuel alone.

Have one....they use more fuel than the 18s and that becomes obvious when you dump almost a bag of charcoal in the bottom for one pork butt.  If you KNOW you won't be smoking a lot, go with the smaller.  You'll be saving money within the year in fuel alone.
Thanks.  I think I will try to find an 18". 

I have the 18. Last weekend I was able to fit 4 racks of ribs and a tenderloin very comfortably on it.  I was debating getting the 22 because of the more space but found an 18 for sale on a swap that was brand new for $130.  I think I would have a hard time passing up the 22 for $160 depending on the shape it is in, but I think the 18 is very sufficient for space.

Im done with reverse sear for steaks, I get faster and better results just cooking over hot lump w/2 stage setup. I dry rub w/umami powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Grill over direct heat for 3-4 minutes, flip and cook for 2-3 minutes. Finish over indirect (5-10 minutes to IT of 115° and let rest 10 min).

Tonight I served with twice baked potatoes (4 cheese blend, sour cream, horseradish, s&p, butter, bacon, chives) and grilled asparagus (EVOO, S&P). Perfect again.

Plated

Inside info

@Ron Swanson Looks like Recteq is no longer going to be in the pellet business...stock up while you can.  Looks like they've climbed in bed with Kingsford.  By the way "recteqlife" is a cult!  I'm telling you!

@Ron Swanson Looks like Recteq is no longer going to be in the pellet business...stock up while you can.  Looks like they've climbed in bed with Kingsford.  By the way "recteqlife" is a cult!  I'm telling you!
Damn. I really like their ultimate blend.  But I'm sure they weren't actually making them. I'll have to see if I can find out who made them and what the equivalent was.  And yes, I don't have much love for the "lifestyle brand" thing they're trying to do now. They make damn good grills though so as long as that continues I'm good. You liking your Bull?

Damn. I really like their ultimate blend.  But I'm sure they weren't actually making them. I'll have to see if I can find out who made them and what the equivalent was.  And yes, I don't have much love for the "lifestyle brand" thing they're trying to do now. They make damn good grills though so as long as that continues I'm good. You liking your Bull?
It's so weird.  I mistakenly joined a FB group...was on there for about 2 days and unsubscribed :lol:

Oh, and by the way, make sure you put a space in the tags...that other guy doesn't like getting tagged mistakenly...his own fault really, I was here first :P  

So far, I've only done wings on it and they were really good...a bit salty (my fault).  I've been going crazy with work.  I think the wife wants me to fire it up for a pork butt today/tonight, so I'll report back but you were spot on with respect to the quality of construction.  I had a couple small scratches in "no big deal" areas from delivery, but everything is really well put together.  I got the comp cart too (it was half off with order) knowing my wife will likely want to move it two or three times before she settles on where it will live.

Anyone with pellet grills use the "searing grates"?  Neighbor swears by them, but I"m not sure.  I can't think that they are as good as cranking up a hot cast iron skillet on the stove, but in an effort to keep that kind of stuff out of the house (all the smoke, smell etc) it might be worth it even if not "perfect"?
A set of GrillGrates is a must for most pellet grills. I was not in that camp until I tried them myself. I'm a believer.

Im done with reverse sear for steaks, I get faster and better results just cooking over hot lump w/2 stage setup. I dry rub w/umami powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Grill over direct heat for 3-4 minutes, flip and cook for 2-3 minutes. Finish over indirect (5-10 minutes to IT of 115° and let rest 10 min).

Tonight I served with twice baked potatoes (4 cheese blend, sour cream, horseradish, s&p, butter, bacon, chives) and grilled asparagus (EVOO, S&P). Perfect again.

Plated

Inside info
You don't get the grey, dry outer edges when you go reverse sear. I'd say your pics counter your written argument. As long as the steaks are thick enough, reverse sear every time. If the steaks are too thin, then I just sear and serve. 

TheFanatic said:
A set of GrillGrates is a must for most pellet grills. I was not in that camp until I tried them myself. I'm a believer.
But only if there is no hotter option, right?  You're not saying you would take the Grillgrates on a pellet grill over a ripping hot infrared, charcoal, etc. for searing?

TheFanatic said:
What about a set of them for a Weber?  I had a Charbroil Infrared and liked it a lot because of the grates.  I switched to a Weber Genesis because I didn't like the construction of the Charbroil (The casters kept breaking on my old one)  But I do miss the "infrared" grates and was looking at purchasing a set of these for my Weber.

What about a set of them for a Weber?  I had a Charbroil Infrared and liked it a lot because of the grates.  I switched to a Weber Genesis because I didn't like the construction of the Charbroil (The casters kept breaking on my old one)  But I do miss the "infrared" grates and was looking at purchasing a set of these for my Weber.
I'm really happy with mine, and I've only used them on my Weber. 

Regardless of where you stand on grill marks, when you cook a steak that looks like this and this, people (ok, usually just my wife) take notice.

Just put a 4lb pork butt on the Akorn for an overnight smoke.

Smoker is holding steady between 134-137 with the Tip Top Temp controller. I love this thing.

Pork went on the smoker at 11:30 last night...went to bed around 2am and was woke at 5am by my temp alarm, smoker temp shot up to 270ish (pork IT was 170°) so I wrapped in foil, adjusted my vents and went back to bed...internal temp alarm went off at 8am when the IT hit 205°...I wrapped in a towel and  rested in a cooler til noon. The bone literally fell out of the pork when I unwrapped it and tried to transfer into a pan...the whole thing just fell apart.. About to make some mac & cheese and baked beans to go with it to enjoy while watching the UFC PPV.

Before

After

Clean

One advantage of working from home is being able to fire up the grill on a Monday

I have a 4.5 lb boneless butt smoking away with beans sitting underneath soaking up the pork succulence. 

This is by far the smallest butt I’ve ever cooked so interested to see how “quickly” it finishes.  

Supposed to get into the 60s today.  Maybe the warmest temps for a while.  Trying a 6 lb brisket on the Weber kettle using the snake method.  Got it on at 10 AM.

Been looking into pellet grills. (Recteq, Traeger, etc.)  My buddy calls them Ease Bake Ovens.  :)   The issue is I'm usually cooking for myself or for something to bring to a party (when those are a thing again).  The smallest models seem a little too small and the next size up look a little too big for my use.  Anyone have one of the smaller models?

I could always just stick with the Weber kettle, but wouldn't mind something a little more set and forget.  :shrug:  

Did a 125 Hot Dogs for a Halloween thing for a festival thing today and threw a couple racks of Baby Back Ribs on. Nothing special. Just regular Baby Backs from Kroger. 

I go with super simple:

Bone side down on the smoker. My Sweet Love Rub. About 2 - 2.5 hours. Get them to about 170.

Put in foil pan, sauce them, add more rub, cover and cook for another couple hours to get them to 200.

Let them rest. Sauce one last time, back in smoker or oven uncovered at 250 degrees for about 10 minutes -- just enough to let the sauce "set" a little.

So good. 

Went to Lowe's today and found a 18.5" WSM for $164.50 on clearance.  Merry Christmas to me.
Like mine a lot since I got it earlier this year.  Haven't used my Weber grill since.  I should sell it, but they never bring anything on the swaps around here so I figure I might as well keep it in my collection.

Anyone got a good recipe / technique for cole slaw? Haven't made it for a while and seems to be a lot of variations out there. I prefer rough-cut cabbage, creamy and tangy. I remember making it once and salting the cut cabbage for several hours and then squeezing the water out of it so it didnt get liquidy after siting for a while. Sound familiar? Necessary?

:popcorn:

Fairly new egg owner (6 months), want to smoke the Turkey this year

What do I need and what tips do you guys have
No matter what you do, make sure you brine.  It makes a HUGE difference.  I usually keep mine pretty simple. I put it in a brine of Root Beer and salt the night before (1 cup per gallon).

Fairly new egg owner (6 months), want to smoke the Turkey this year

What do I need and what tips do you guys have
Hot and fast, no value in low and slow with a bird.  You'll just dry it out. Brine it for sure, but only if its a fresh bird.  Many come already brined. Consider only cooking the breast. If you decide to do the whole bird, spatchcock it.

In the market for a new grill.  The Broil King Big Steel Keg rusted out and is falling apart.  Also have a Blackstone flat top that is on its last legs too.  I am 100% unsure of what I want.  I like to smoke brisket and pork butts, but also would like to get a Napoleon with the infrared sear burner for steaks.  However, I also like to use the flattop for burger/hibachi/breakfast as well.  

I can't have all three.  Was thinking the Blaze 20" https://www.blazegrills.com/product/blaze-kamado/ but that is pretty pricey.  I'd also like to try an offset grill for BBQ instead of the kamado grill.  

https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/grills/products/gas-grills

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-ProSeries-36-Griddle-Cooking-Station-with-Hood/416512969

I can't decide.  What do you all have for a setup? 

In the market for a new grill.  The Broil King Big Steel Keg rusted out and is falling apart.  Also have a Blackstone flat top that is on its last legs too.  I am 100% unsure of what I want.  I like to smoke brisket and pork butts, but also would like to get a Napoleon with the infrared sear burner for steaks.  However, I also like to use the flattop for burger/hibachi/breakfast as well.  

I can't have all three.  Was thinking the Blaze 20" https://www.blazegrills.com/product/blaze-kamado/ but that is pretty pricey.  I'd also like to try an offset grill for BBQ instead of the kamado grill.  

https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/grills/products/gas-grills

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-ProSeries-36-Griddle-Cooking-Station-with-Hood/416512969

I can't decide.  What do you all have for a setup? 
I've always thought that Blaze kamado was pretty cool. Should be a geat heatsink and very fuel efficient as well. Probably very similar or better than the Big Steel Keg.  My problem is after having a Big Steel Keg and coming from a stick burner background I just could never get past the charcoal taste that I felt the food picked up during low & slow cooks.  I loved it for high heat searing and it eventually made a great faux cambro. But for low and slow I went back to a stick burner and have since moved to pellets just for the ease of use. I'm a big fan of my Recteq RT 700.  I also have a Napoleon Prestige with an infrared side burner.  I LOVE the infrared for searing but I only use the rest of the grill for running a pizza oven.  They market as an alternative to Weber but I think their overall quality is a notch below Weber but the infrared burner is a killer feature.  A griddle with a separate tabletop infrared could be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread