What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (2 Viewers)

@Ron Swanson Looks like Recteq is no longer going to be in the pellet business...stock up while you can.  Looks like they've climbed in bed with Kingsford.  By the way "recteqlife" is a cult!  I'm telling you!
Damn. I really like their ultimate blend.  But I'm sure they weren't actually making them. I'll have to see if I can find out who made them and what the equivalent was.  And yes, I don't have much love for the "lifestyle brand" thing they're trying to do now. They make damn good grills though so as long as that continues I'm good. You liking your Bull?
Mine is still great, 2 years in.  Also, the one time I needed support (my dumb-### fault), they were amazing.

@Ron Swanson Looks like Recteq is no longer going to be in the pellet business...stock up while you can.  Looks like they've climbed in bed with Kingsford.  By the way "recteqlife" is a cult!  I'm telling you!
Damn. I really like their ultimate blend.  But I'm sure they weren't actually making them. I'll have to see if I can find out who made them and what the equivalent was.  And yes, I don't have much love for the "lifestyle brand" thing they're trying to do now. They make damn good grills though so as long as that continues I'm good. You liking your Bull?
Mine is still great, 2 years in.  Also, the one time I needed support (my dumb-### fault), they were amazing.
Haven't done a ton of cooking on it yet, but so far it's awesome.  Did a couple pork butts (can't get any easier....selling my weber bullet!) a couple chickens and some wings.  I have some grill grates coming so I want to do some "grilling" once I get those...I think I might like having a flat top to cook/sear on though...time will tell with that.

But only if there is no hotter option, right?  You're not saying you would take the Grillgrates on a pellet grill over a ripping hot infrared, charcoal, etc. for searing?
Yeah, no. I have so many grills. I can just swing over to another grill, but I also contractually have to cook on certain grills and showcase them. So having the grill grates with the pellet grill has been a life saver. 

What about a set of them for a Weber?  I had a Charbroil Infrared and liked it a lot because of the grates.  I switched to a Weber Genesis because I didn't like the construction of the Charbroil (The casters kept breaking on my old one)  But I do miss the "infrared" grates and was looking at purchasing a set of these for my Weber.
I've used the GrillGrates on other grills than my pellet grill. They are a worthy addition to just about any grill. 

I've used the GrillGrates on other grills than my pellet grill. They are a worthy addition to just about any grill. 
Talk to me about bbq pork steaks and how to make them tender without losing the caramelized bbq to an oven.

I swear I cook them just like my old man did back in The Lou, and they just don't have that tenderness he used to get out of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk to me about bbq pork steaks and how to make them tender without losing the caramelized bbq to an oven.

I swear I cook them just like my old man did back in The Lou, and they just don't have that tenderness he used to get out of them.
I'm guessing that there was some simmering in some sauce at some point. 

Sous Vide and then sear. Pretty sure your old man didn't sous vide but it will give you the tenderness you're looking for with today's pork. Or get a good heritage breed and hot and fast.

I have one similar to THIS one. I like having 6 probes so I can use one to measure grate temp and still have 5 for meats. The most Ive used at once is 4, but its nice to have a couple extra. Bluetooth is nice for monitoring temps on my phone, and of course you can set max temps and range alarms for each probe, as well as timers.

Ive had it almost a year and have zero complaints.

OK, so this one might not be in everyone's price range, but have you seen the Hooray Grill? It is soooooooooo cool! 
Yeah.  Those Santa Maria style grills are the new emerging retro trend.  Super cool and they really appeal to the steampunk side of me, but all of them are very impractical for everyday use and are kind of one trick ponies. RecTec makes one as well, non-pellet and a bit smaller. Not nearly as cool looking as the Hooray and a bit smaller but also 5k less.

https://www.recteq.com/RT-A850-WyldSide-Argentina-Style-Grill-V2

What about a set of them for a Weber?  I had a Charbroil Infrared and liked it a lot because of the grates.  I switched to a Weber Genesis because I didn't like the construction of the Charbroil (The casters kept breaking on my old one)  But I do miss the "infrared" grates and was looking at purchasing a set of these for my Weber.
For what its worth, I listened to a Meathead on a podcast recently (this one).  His take - just relating to steaks - is that grillgrates are essential for competition because the judges have to see the beautiful cross-hatched grill marks.  For non-competition, he doesn't like them because it limits the amount of crust (maillard) you can get on the surface of the steak.

Brining will help, but I think @heckmanm probably nailed it - pork these days is a totally different animal as compared to when we were young.

Ron Swanson said:
Yeah.  Those Santa Maria style grills are the new emerging retro trend.  Super cool and they really appeal to the steampunk side of me, but all of them are very impractical for everyday use and are kind of one trick ponies. RecTec makes one as well, non-pellet and a bit smaller. Not nearly as cool looking as the Hooray and a bit smaller but also 5k less.

https://www.recteq.com/RT-A850-WyldSide-Argentina-Style-Grill-V2
I thought it was a one trick pony too before I got it. I've done ribs on it twice (hung them from the top then foiled them), 3.5 feet of Mahi Mahi, tri tips a bunch of times, steaks, seafood, lamb, lobsters, smashed potatoes/flank steak/asparagus, pork belly, burgers, tacos al pastor, ramen noodles, macaroni (lobster mac in fact). It really is much more versatile than I expected. I have more fun cooking on that thing than just about anything I've got. Oh, and we've done s'mores twice on it. 

For what its worth, I listened to a Meathead on a podcast recently (this one).  His take - just relating to steaks - is that grillgrates are essential for competition because the judges have to see the beautiful cross-hatched grill marks.  For non-competition, he doesn't like them because it limits the amount of crust (maillard) you can get on the surface of the steak.
The grillgrates have more surface area than a lot of standard grill grates so I would disagree with Meathead. For some grills, no, but for a lot yes. Like the stainless grates of a weber. 

I thought it was a one trick pony too before I got it. I've done ribs on it twice (hung them from the top then foiled them), 3.5 feet of Mahi Mahi, tri tips a bunch of times, steaks, seafood, lamb, lobsters, smashed potatoes/flank steak/asparagus, pork belly, burgers, tacos al pastor, ramen noodles, macaroni (lobster mac in fact). It really is much more versatile than I expected. I have more fun cooking on that thing than just about anything I've got. Oh, and we've done s'mores twice on it. 
I stand corrected. They are good for cooking anything over an open flame with an adjustable height grate. Like a campfire on a table.

I stand corrected. They are good for cooking anything over an open flame with an adjustable height grate. Like a campfire on a table.
I have smoked on it. I hang ribs over the fire for 2 hours, then flip them so the other end is closest to the fire. After 2 more hours of that, they go into the foil for about 90 minutes. Then out of the foil, a little char over the fire and they are done in about 6 hours. A lot of people smoke ribs for 6 hours in a conventional smoker. 

Video of the hanging ribs

Stills of another hanging rib recipe. I haven't posted the video yet. 

And don't forget the rotisserie ribs, which took friggin forever. We were filming all sorts of content on that grill and kept having to take the ribs off to get our shots of other recipes. 

TheFanatic said:
I have smoked on it. I hang ribs over the fire for 2 hours, then flip them so the other end is closest to the fire. After 2 more hours of that, they go into the foil for about 90 minutes. Then out of the foil, a little char over the fire and they are done in about 6 hours. A lot of people smoke ribs for 6 hours in a conventional smoker. 

Video of the hanging ribs

Stills of another hanging rib recipe. I haven't posted the video yet. 

And don't forget the rotisserie ribs, which took friggin forever. We were filming all sorts of content on that grill and kept having to take the ribs off to get our shots of other recipes. 
That is quite a show. Someone should build a restaurant with an open kitchen and a few of those.

Made some Carnitas today for tacos, nachos and quesadillas for today and football tomorrow...I grilled the meat before braising (I usually brown on the stove) and it really made a nice difference flavor wise. 

Seasoned the pork shoulder chunks with Adobe, salt and pepper, grilled em until they had a nice crust all over, then braised in the oven for 2.5 hours with minced onion and garlic, half a jar each of recaito and sofrito, and a few charred Serrano peppers. Turned out delicious.

Pork hitting rhe grill

Brasied and fork pulled

Get in my belly!

In the market for a new grill.  The Broil King Big Steel Keg rusted out and is falling apart.  Also have a Blackstone flat top that is on its last legs too.  I am 100% unsure of what I want.  I like to smoke brisket and pork butts, but also would like to get a Napoleon with the infrared sear burner for steaks.  However, I also like to use the flattop for burger/hibachi/breakfast as well.  

I can't have all three.  Was thinking the Blaze 20" https://www.blazegrills.com/product/blaze-kamado/ but that is pretty pricey.  I'd also like to try an offset grill for BBQ instead of the kamado grill.  

https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/grills/products/gas-grills

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-ProSeries-36-Griddle-Cooking-Station-with-Hood/416512969

I can't decide.  What do you all have for a setup? 
You can have all 3, I just unboxed 1 of these yesterday!  https://www.outdoorcooking.com/camp-chef-woodwind-wifi-24-with-sidekick.html

So it’s only my family in the house this year, and naturally with 4 people instead of 25, I am making my biggest turkey ever. 30 pounds lol. I like a challenge. 

Every year I put a 20 pound turkey on my BGE and cook it at around 300-325 for 4 hours or in that general range. This year however I was thinking of slow smoking it at around 225-250 overnight, almost like a brisket or shoulder. I am brining it now.  

Anybody done this? Pros/cons? Thinking the meat may get too much of the smoke but it there was ever a year to try something new this is it. 

So it’s only my family in the house this year, and naturally with 4 people instead of 25, I am making my biggest turkey ever. 30 pounds lol. I like a challenge. 

Every year I put a 20 pound turkey on my BGE and cook it at around 300-325 for 4 hours or in that general range. This year however I was thinking of slow smoking it at around 225-250 overnight, almost like a brisket or shoulder. I am brining it now.  

Anybody done this? Pros/cons? Thinking the meat may get too much of the smoke but it there was ever a year to try something new this is it. 
You won't get a crispy skin at those lower temperatures.

I know chicken can get rubbery when done low and slow so that would concern me with turkey. 

and 30 lbs?!? Holy cow!  
I ordered it through Instacart - had put down 18 pounds. All they had was 10 (obviously more than enough) or 30. I decided to go all in. 

When I smoke chicken thighs and breasts sometimes I’ve put them in the cast iron after smoking for a quick crisp up. Obviously not an option here lol

I'm smoking a bird on my Primo this year after the last few years on the Green Mountain. And I'm done timing the bird perfectly for dinner. I get that bird done hours out, wrap in foil and then a towel and then into a cooler. Dammit, I forgot to get a spiral ham. I don't really need it. I am only having 8 adults and an 18 pound bird, but I want to make sure I have plenty of turkey for sammiches. 

I'm injecting my bird for the first time. And I'm going to smoke it in a pan with the breasts down for about an hour and then flipping it over and finishing it off. I hear that helps it cook more evenly. I'm also going to stuff a bunch of butter under the skin of the breasts. 

Smoking a bird on the Kamado Joe today for a neighbor.  She bought me two turkey breasts for later use to "pay" me for cooking the bird(as we are just going to my SIL's for a thanksgiving meal).  Have not done a whole turkey on it but many chickens and a few turkey breasts.  Awful weather for it and thankful the covered patio is done as we have gusty winds and off and on rain all day.

Hot and fast is the correct answer for poultry. Low and slow is used to break down touch connective tissue, collagen, and render excess fat. None of those things are an issue with poultry. All you achieve by going low and slow with poultry is the increased risk of drying it out.

Hot and fast is the correct answer for poultry. Low and slow is used to break down touch connective tissue, collagen, and render excess fat. None of those things are an issue with poultry. All you achieve by going low and slow with poultry is the increased risk of drying it out.
Right. But it’s brining so while there is a risk of it drying out I feel like the dark meat will be ok at the least. I’ve read some people say a half hour per pound at 225 or 25 minutes at 250, but I don’t think I want to put it on there for [checks notes]...15 hours. 

I want to do something different since it’s just a few of us but I’ll probably just do my regular tomorrow. 

We'll be home for Thanksgiving for the first year in many.  Good news is that I get to smoke a bird.  Bad news is that wife only wants a turkey breast.  (I won the sweet potatoes over mashed debate.  Choose your battles).   I'll throw some sausage on there as an app. 

at 49c per lb, I'll still pick up a bird and do it some random weekend. 

We'll be home for Thanksgiving for the first year in many.  Good news is that I get to smoke a bird.  Bad news is that wife only wants a turkey breast.  (I won the sweet potatoes over mashed debate.  Choose your battles).   I'll throw some sausage on there as an app. 

at 49c per lb, I'll still pick up a bird and do it some random weekend. 
Franklin's method is money for breast only.

Remove skin.

Coat with 1:4 S& P Rub

Smoke at 270 for probably 2-4 hours, until golden but not finished cooking. Skin side (breasts) up.

Double wrap in heavy duty foil, add 1 pound butter. Flip breast side down in the butter.

Cook unit 160 internal.

Rest until it drops to 140.

Slice and serve and dunk in the butter as you serve.

Yup, did it the same way last year, tasted awesome and I will never do it another way.  Plus I think I just like saying spatchcock.
First time someone asked me if I spatchcocked my chicken, I responded, "HEY, what I do in the privacy of my own home is my business!" Then I googled what Spatchcock meant.  :bag:

Right. But it’s brining so while there is a risk of it drying out I feel like the dark meat will be ok at the least. I’ve read some people say a half hour per pound at 225 or 25 minutes at 250, but I don’t think I want to put it on there for [checks notes]...15 hours. 

I want to do something different since it’s just a few of us but I’ll probably just do my regular tomorrow. 
I'm not sure that's the wheel you want to reinvent. Just sayin'

Franklin's method is money for breast only.

Remove skin.

Coat with 4:1 S& P Rub

Smoke at 270 for probably 2-4 hours, until golden but not finished cooking. Skin side up.

Double wrap in heavy duty foil, add 1 pound butter. Flip breast skin side down

Cook unit 160 internal.

Rest until it drops to 140.

Slice and serve and dunk in the butter as you serve.
sounds buttery delicious

Made some Carnitas today for tacos, nachos and quesadillas for today and football tomorrow...I grilled the meat before braising (I usually brown on the stove) and it really made a nice difference flavor wise. 

Seasoned the pork shoulder chunks with Adobe, salt and pepper, grilled em until they had a nice crust all over, then braised in the oven for 2.5 hours with minced onion and garlic, half a jar each of recaito and sofrito, and a few charred Serrano peppers. Turned out delicious.

Pork hitting rhe grill

Brasied and fork pulled

Get in my belly!
That looks awesome!

Can you explain a little more about how you braised it? Did you add additional liquid besides the recaito and sofrito?

That looks awesome!

Can you explain a little more about how you braised it? Did you add additional liquid besides the recaito and sofrito?
No other liquid, the pork releases enough juices while it cooks...I cook it in a covered pot at 300° until done, I check it every 30 minutes starting at about 90 minutes. 

Users who are viewing this thread