What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (8 Viewers)

Need to mix it up for the 4th. Need some new and interesting recipes. Anyone?

Thinking of trying those bacon o-rings, but not sure I've got the 75 hours of prep time it looks like they require.
This is a really old post, but what about Santa Maria Style Tri Tip?

VERY simple grilled mushroom recipe, but so good.

Chipotle Pork Steak Tacos

Ribs with an Asian glaze? These are really good. And nothing helps to celebrate the birth of our country quite like an Asian glaze!

Need to mix it up for the 4th. Need some new and interesting recipes. Anyone?

Thinking of trying those bacon o-rings, but not sure I've got the 75 hours of prep time it looks like they require.
This is a really old post, but what about Santa Maria Style Tri Tip?
Weird. 15 seconds before I read this post, I flipped to Food Network and Bobby Flay is making exactly this.
Its been a Bobby Flay day on the Food Network today - he did also did some fine looking orange-ginger boneless beef short ribs and some asian pork and cabbage lettuce wraps.

Any recommendations on things to grill to serve cold?

i.e. I want to grill something to take to beach but it's easier to grill it, cool it off and serve cold.

Thinking of just grilling some chicken breasts and making chicken salad sammiches.

First one to respond wins. Gonna finally tackle a brisket on my 18.5 WSM. First one to post a link to detailed destructions or give me detailed destructions including rubs, serving suggestions etc wins and I will follow those religiously. If someone decides to be a Richard and posts horribly bad advice someone please chime in. GO!!!!

First one to respond wins. Gonna finally tackle a brisket on my 18.5 WSM. First one to post a link to detailed destructions or give me detailed destructions including rubs, serving suggestions etc wins and I will follow those religiously. If someone decides to be a Richard and posts horribly bad advice someone please chime in. GO!!!!
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but part of the fun (for me anyway) is finding these things out on your own, developing your own process, and catering to what you like personally.

I like to slather brisket with a horseradish mustard, rub with several different types of salt and pepper, and let it sit overnight before it goes on the smoker. My cooker fluctuates between 225 and 250. I'll cook the brisket for 6-8 hours depending on whether or not I like my bark yet. If the bark is to my satisfaction I wrap the meat in a foil pan until I reach an internal temp of around 185. At 185 I'll take the foil off and just leave the meat on the cooker uncovered still in the pan to let the bark set back up until I'm about 190 internally. I feel like brisket gets more moist after you pull it off the cooker if you wrap it in towels and keep it in a cooler for a couple hours before slicing.

A vague guide is an hour and a half per pound.

I need to seriously check the accuracy of my probe thermometer. Put a chuck roast on the smoker yesterday, cooked er til she was 165 and then foiled it, then cooked er til it read 205. Took it off, wrapped in towels and placed in a cooler for a couple of hours. Went to go pull it and the meat was still a bit tough.

I need to seriously check the accuracy of my probe thermometer. Put a chuck roast on the smoker yesterday, cooked er til she was 165 and then foiled it, then cooked er til it read 205. Took it off, wrapped in towels and placed in a cooler for a couple of hours. Went to go pull it and the meat was still a bit tough.
Yeah, that should have fallen apart.

Which is what I wanted. My last brisket was a bit tough as well. I am guessing it is about 15-20 degrees off. I'm guessing it was around 185-190 or so. Still semi-tender, but no where near the falling apart I wanted for pulled beef sammies.

Thermapen is currently offering their open box/refurb sale. I bought mine this way and it's been working great. Or just buy a new one... it's a painful investment for a thermometer, but you'll be happy you did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is what I wanted. My last brisket was a bit tough as well. I am guessing it is about 15-20 degrees off. I'm guessing it was around 185-190 or so. Still semi-tender, but no where near the falling apart I wanted for pulled beef sammies.
You have a small window to get brisket right, and some briskets will be done a bit higher / lower than ~200 degrees. Injecting can help increase the size of your window and give you a little more room for error.

Thermapen is currently offering their open box/refurb sale. I bought mine this way and it's been working great. Or just buy a new one... it's a painful investment for a thermometer, but you'll be happy you did it.
I have a thermapen and it works great. But I didn't use it on the roast and relied on wireless one instead. My mistake on that one.

Has anyone smoked a potato? Planning to smoke a beer can chicken today, and thought about smoking some baking potatoes, as well.

Most of what I've found says to cut slits in the skin, rub with olive oil and rub, then just throw them in the smoker for 1.5 - 2 hours. Seems simple enough, but wanted to see if anyone here had any experience/tips.
Was going to do a Beer Can Chicken on my grill tonite. Don't have any cans of beer, but will use a cleaned out soda can. Any recommendations on timing? I's about 5.25 lbs and been marinating for a while.

Has anyone smoked a potato? Planning to smoke a beer can chicken today, and thought about smoking some baking potatoes, as well.

Most of what I've found says to cut slits in the skin, rub with olive oil and rub, then just throw them in the smoker for 1.5 - 2 hours. Seems simple enough, but wanted to see if anyone here had any experience/tips.
Was going to do a Beer Can Chicken on my grill tonite. Don't have any cans of beer, but will use a cleaned out soda can. Any recommendations on timing? I's about 5.25 lbs and been marinating for a while.
I'll admit I've never made one, but isn't the point of beer can chicken to start with the can full of beer? No?

I'll admit I've never made one, but isn't the point of beer can chicken to start with the can full of beer? No?
Oh, there will be beer! Just going to pour some from a bottle into the can!

Grilled most of my dinners in the last week or so on the grill. Nothing fancy but it was nice - Cedar plank Salmon, bleu cheese and bacon stuffed burgers, cajun rubed pork tenderloin, chicken-pepper kabobs, lemon rosemary chicken and a dry brined London Broil.

Doing a cedar plank salmon on the kamado tonight.

Made a glaze out of white miso, japanese kewpie mayo, lime juice and zest, honey, chili-garlic hot sauce, soy sauce and some white pepper (inspiration from here but I tweaked: http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=15&EpisodeID=5). May try and give it a light once over with the blowtorch before serving.

Wife is making a mango - avocado - citrus salsa and some frozen sweet potato fries (may make a simple dipping sauce from the japanese mayo and sriracha)

Wines are gruner veltliner and vinho verde -- cheap, light, low alcohol, perfect for a hot day / dinner on the deck

Grilled most of my dinners in the last week or so on the grill. Nothing fancy but it was nice - Cedar plank Salmon, bleu cheese and bacon stuffed burgers, cajun rubed pork tenderloin, chicken-pepper kabobs, lemon rosemary chicken and a dry brined London Broil.
Talk to me about this. I grilled a LB over the weekend, but I typically just soak it in a marinade for 2+ days and then grill it. Did a balsamic garlic one this time, but I've also done a steakhouse marinade and even straight italian salad dressing.

Talk to me about this. I grilled a LB over the weekend, but I typically just soak it in a marinade for 2+ days and then grill it. Did a balsamic garlic one this time, but I've also done a steakhouse marinade and even straight italian salad dressing.
Dry brining

Softballguy said:
bryhamm said:
Dry brining
Thanks. Might have to try that on a LB next time.

Simple question for the grilling geniuses in this thread (even if you are not staying at a Holiday Inn)...If I am using a chicken leg holder like this, should I cook it over direct heat, or put over an unlit burner, and light one on each side? And should I place it on a drip pan?

bryhamm said:
Just absolutely cover it in coarse Kosher or Sea Salt and let it sit for an hour or two. Rinse it off, add pepper, garlic powder and Worcestershire, maybe a bit of EVOO if it's going on the grill.

Simple question for the grilling geniuses in this thread (even if you are not staying at a Holiday Inn)...If I am using a chicken leg holder like this, should I cook it over direct heat, or put over an unlit burner, and light one on each side? And should I place it on a drip pan?
I would cook them on indirect up to about 155 degrees, then finish over direct heat to 165-170 (I go to 170 on dark meat). Watch for flareups when over direct heat.

Don't worry about the drip pan unless you want to catch the juices for some reason.

Ribs and bacon wrapped rings today on the weber smokey mountain. 5 hours for the ribs and 1-2 for the rings. Let's getter rolling!

Doing a cedar plank salmon on the kamado tonight.

Made a glaze out of white miso, japanese kewpie mayo, lime juice and zest, honey, chili-garlic hot sauce, soy sauce and some white pepper (inspiration from here but I tweaked: http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=15&EpisodeID=5). May try and give it a light once over with the blowtorch before serving.

Wife is making a mango - avocado - citrus salsa and some frozen sweet potato fries (may make a simple dipping sauce from the japanese mayo and sriracha)

Wines are gruner veltliner and vinho verde -- cheap, light, low alcohol, perfect for a hot day / dinner on the deck
I tweaked a planked honey mustard salmon recipe I had...came out great!

1 tbsp. olive oil

2 tbsp. Dijon mustard

1 tbsp. honey

1 tbsp. zesty Italian dressing

dash of Italian seasoning

Used for 2 fillets, brushed on once placed on grill

I've done both ways with the same tool. I liked indirect better, while basting with garlic butter. I did crisp them up over direct briefly before pulling them off...VERY good stuff.

Not directly grilling related but I had the worst burger I ever paid for at Red Robin yesterday. Really, just horrible.

Not directly grilling related but I had the worst burger I ever paid for at Red Robin yesterday. Really, just horrible.
Those are God awful. Beef is dry and flavorless, buns are uneventful. Toppings are usually pretty good. And a burger wrapped in paper in a basket should be reserved for "fast food", not a sit down place like RR.

I have a thermapen and it works great. But I didn't use it on the roast and relied on wireless one instead. My mistake on that one.
So I need to invest in some type of thermometer. I cook in the oven, on my grill with indirect heat, and on my Traeger. Would the Thermapen be the best for all 3? Or would I want some thermometer that you leave in during the entire cooking time so you're not constantly poking it? I know the Traeger units have a remote thermometer unit - not sure how great they are but the advantage is you don't have to lift the lid to see what temp you have. Outside of smoking pork shoulder and some poultry I can usually tell by experience, intuition, time, touch when something is ready to pull. But it's not foolproof. Have had to go back with whole chickens a few times when dark meat wasn't quite done. Messy. What do you pros recommend? I cook prime ribs, briskets, pork shoulders, chicken, turkey, etc.

So I need to invest in some type of thermometer. I cook in the oven, on my grill with indirect heat, and on my Traeger. Would the Thermapen be the best for all 3? Or would I want some thermometer that you leave in during the entire cooking time so you're not constantly poking it? I know the Traeger units have a remote thermometer unit - not sure how great they are but the advantage is you don't have to lift the lid to see what temp you have. Outside of smoking pork shoulder and some poultry I can usually tell by experience, intuition, time, touch when something is ready to pull. But it's not foolproof. Have had to go back with whole chickens a few times when dark meat wasn't quite done. Messy. What do you pros recommend? I cook prime ribs, briskets, pork shoulders, chicken, turkey, etc.
I have a maverick dual probe that I use to both measure grate temp and internal meat temp (I can leave that probe in during the cook). I love it. I also have a cheapie digital thermometer I use, but would vastly prefer the thermapen because it's so fast and accurate. I may buy one next time its on sale.

With both these devices I think you'd be all set.

snitwitch said:
Judge Smails said:
I have a maverick dual probe that I use to both measure grate temp and internal meat temp (I can leave that probe in during the cook). I love it. I also have a cheapie digital thermometer I use, but would vastly prefer the thermapen because it's so fast and accurate. I may buy one next time its on sale.

This is the setup I have - dual probe Maverick with a thermapen. Really makes things easy... wish I would gone to it earlier.

snitwitch said:
Judge Smails said:

This is the setup I have - dual probe Maverick with a thermapen. Really makes things easy... wish I would gone to it earlier.
Perfect - thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread