What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (4 Viewers)

So, doing the pork shoulder again (snake method smoking on weber), but this time, Im putting a "drip pan" w boiling water underneath, to see if this makes the difference it's reported to. 

should be done in an hour or so, currently sitting at 175 degrees internal after 4.5hrs.

see how she goes. finishing it off w sides of Beet Coleslaw, an oil/dijon/sherry vinegar potato salad and east north carolina vinegar sauce for the pork. 

So, doing the pork shoulder again (snake method smoking on weber), but this time, Im putting a "drip pan" w boiling water underneath, to see if this makes the difference it's reported to. 

should be done in an hour or so, currently sitting at 175 degrees internal after 4.5hrs.

see how she goes. finishing it off w sides of Beet Coleslaw, an oil/dijon/sherry vinegar potato salad and east north carolina vinegar sauce for the pork. 
It may take longer than an hour.  How big is it?  Just remember don’t pull it off until it probes like butter(i assume you are pulling it)!  Sometimes that last 30 degrees can take a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only a 4 pounder (just the wife and I) so I knew itd be around the hour mark. 

Perfect 195. Wrapped and sitting now. Looks beauty. 

We'll see if the water pan made it any moister than before or not. 

Ran into some brisket problems today.  Went to put the brisket on, split into two so that it would fit in my dads electric vertical smoker, with the intent to do high heat and realized his smoker tops out at 275 degrees.   :rant:

So we’re finally at the point where we’ve pulled one of two to rest, with fingers crossed that it’s done (internal temp was consistent 203).  

As an aside, I’m on the market for a pellet grill.  Anyone with pros/cons on manufacturers/models or strong recommendations?  Hoping to be between $500-1000, with a sweet spot in the middle.  All I know is Traeger, and that Costco sometimes carries them.  :bag:

Ran into some brisket problems today.  Went to put the brisket on, split into two so that it would fit in my dads electric vertical smoker, with the intent to do high heat and realized his smoker tops out at 275 degrees.   :rant:

So we’re finally at the point where we’ve pulled one of two to rest, with fingers crossed that it’s done (internal temp was consistent 203).  

As an aside, I’m on the market for a pellet grill.  Anyone with pros/cons on manufacturers/models or strong recommendations?  Hoping to be between $500-1000, with a sweet spot in the middle.  All I know is Traeger, and that Costco sometimes carries them.  :bag:
@TheFanatic will be along with good info

Seasoning the Traeger now. Pulled a pork shoulder for Monday. 8 pounder. Couple quick questions:

1 since I have control over temp and I know shoulder is forgiving what’s the general cook on these in terms of temp. And estimated overall cook time. Looking to play the first one right down the fairway.

2. Please define the ‘wrap’. I’ve heard Unwaxed butcher paper- where do u get it? If other please define. Continue to smoke post wrap? Also expect this will be the first time tackling the stall. I know of it, but I know of big foot and locness monster too. All are a mystery at this point. 

Seasoning the Traeger now. Pulled a pork shoulder for Monday. 8 pounder. Couple quick questions:

1 since I have control over temp and I know shoulder is forgiving what’s the general cook on these in terms of temp. And estimated overall cook time. Looking to play the first one right down the fairway.  give yourself plenty of time but if you go hot and fast you should be able to get this done in like 6-8 hours.  low and slow give yourself MUCH longer.  Basically you smoke it until it probes like butter.  Internal will be anywhere from 195-210 at that point. 

2. Please define the ‘wrap’. I’ve heard Unwaxed butcher paper- where do u get it? If other please define. Continue to smoke post wrap? Also expect this will be the first time tackling the stall. I know of it, but I know of big foot and locness monster too. All are a mystery at this point.   Wraping is what people do to help get through the stall.  Roughly around 165 internal the meat will stop rising as fast as it has been as it begins to breakdown all the muscle.  Some people will wrap with foil or butcher paper to help speed up the cooking.  Some also feel it results in a more tender or moist product.  I personally dont wrap and my butts come out great.  Having said that, at the end of the cook, once its done, then you want to wrap it and let it sit for 30min -an hour at least.  What you use to wrap doesnt really matter. 
Pork is very forgiving.  But it will take a while to get to a point where you can pull it.  Just keep cooking it until your probe or a toothpick goes through the meat like butter.  You will be amazed at how tender it is and that is your cue that its done.  the temp you cook at really is up to you.  Old fashioned folks do low and slow but it takes much longer.  I do pork hot and fast and keep the smoker between 275-325 which speeds things up significantly and still yields great pulled pork.  At some point do both and you will come to your own decision.  As for Monday, if you are going to go low and slow start early.  Give yourself like 16 hours!  It could take longer, it could take less though.  Its always better to finish early and let it rest then to have hungry guests pressuring you to take it off.  Good luck!

As stated, we split the 12lb brisket in two to fit in the smoker.  Part one was the thinner section and was consumed by our family for dinner.  Bark was perfect, taste was great, but it was juuuuuust a bit outside! Slightly overdone and a touch dry.  

Pulled half number two when we finally sliced half number one.  Half two just finished resting and OH.  MY.  GOD.  So good.  I’m completely and overly stuffed, but I ate a couple more slices off of that Godsend.  Thanks to all for the last minute advice this week!  

As stated, we split the 12lb brisket in two to fit in the smoker.  Part one was the thinner section and was consumed by our family for dinner.  Bark was perfect, taste was great, but it was juuuuuust a bit outside! Slightly overdone and a touch dry.  

Pulled half number two when we finally sliced half number one.  Half two just finished resting and OH.  MY.  GOD.  So good.  I’m completely and overly stuffed, but I ate a couple more slices off of that Godsend.  Thanks to all for the last minute advice this week!  
Sounds like you did a nice job!  :thumbup:

Pork is very forgiving.  But it will take a while to get to a point where you can pull it.  Just keep cooking it until your probe or a toothpick goes through the meat like butter.  You will be amazed at how tender it is and that is your cue that its done.  the temp you cook at really is up to you.  Old fashioned folks do low and slow but it takes much longer.  I do pork hot and fast and keep the smoker between 275-325 which speeds things up significantly and still yields great pulled pork.  At some point do both and you will come to your own decision.  As for Monday, if you are going to go low and slow start early.  Give yourself like 16 hours!  It could take longer, it could take less though.  Its always better to finish early and let it rest then to have hungry guests pressuring you to take it off.  Good luck!
There is no way a pork shoulder that is 8 pounds will take 16 hours. If he is smoking at 250 or so, he can smoke it for 4 hours at that temp, wrap it, and then ramp us his temp to 300 or so. It will be done in 8 hours or so.

There is no way a pork shoulder that is 8 pounds will take 16 hours. If he is smoking at 250 or so, he can smoke it for 4 hours at that temp, wrap it, and then ramp us his temp to 300 or so. It will be done in 8 hours or so.
low and slow is typically 225.  I believe that runs roughly 1.5-2 hours per lbs.  so yes that could take 16 hours(especially for a newbie and especially if you run into temp issues).  But as i said i would personally never cook it at that temp.  i go 325 the entire way. 

Well, I wasn't planning on cooking but all of the talk about pork shoulders has given me the itch. That and my MIL asked the wife if I was cooking. I have to work tomorrow until 11pm so when I get home I plan to fire up my  WSM and have an overnight cook. I have everything I need except a pork shoulder. I have the wife going out for that in the AM. I would love to try the hot and fast approach but since I'm cooking overnight it would probably be best to go low and slow this time. Maybe I'll try it for the 4th.

Also, I've got these strips of 

PORK

BELLY

that I want to do something with. Maybe something simple like just some rub on the smoker for a couple of hour or would these be better off cooking on high heat?

Any ideas?

Throwing a neighborhood cookout for Memorial Day.  Small cul-de-sac where the neighbors get along, but many of us are newer and don't know each other well. Some buddies coming over. Somewhere between 15-30 people depending on what the weather does.

Doing a Taco Bar with Pulled Pork, Flank Steak, and Chicken Thighs. Should be a lot simpler than the burger/dog route, and a lot more fun. Plus, we do some version of this at home about once every week or two. The most time consuming part will be the Pico. 

If I have time, I'd like to do a Roasted Chile and Corn relish/salad thing. I've done it many times, but never really dialed it into an official recipe. Grill some ears of corn, roast some Anaheim or Poblano chiles (whichever look better at the store, but I prefer Anaheim). De-kernel the corn, peel and dice the chiles, combine. That by itself is awesome. Delicious straight out of the bowl or as a taco topping.  Though, I think it could be doctored up from there with S&P, cilantro, maybe some lime (or vinegar), or even a small amount of cream cheese. We'll see where the mood takes us.

Though, that'll probably end up being the "I either ran out of time or got too drunk" thing that doesn't get done. 

And I must admit, I've gotten super lazy on the Pulled Pork. I smoke it on a Kettle for 5-6 hours (even 4 has worked fine), foil it and pop it in a super low oven overnight. I think 4-6 hours is plenty of smoke flavor and some good bark, then you get the advantage of saving most of juices. 

I don't have the time or inclination to tend a fire for 8-16 hours these days, and it's easier, but I do think it comes out great that way. 

I know a nameless person who works at a Traeger dealer that runs the pellets they sell at cash and carry when he runs out at home, because work is too far away. 
Speaking of pellet smokers - food grade vs non food grade pellets? Absolutely only the latter, doesn't matter, just avoid pine?

Also, I've got these strips of 

PORK

BELLY

that I want to do something with. Maybe something simple like just some rub on the smoker for a couple of hour or would these be better off cooking on high heat?

Any ideas?
Pork belly burnt ends. 

Cube, rub, and Smoke until close to done. 

Coat in honey and brown sugar in pan

Cover w foil and Back into the smoker until exterior is dark and crispy as you like 

Here are some pics from doing them earlier this year. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/V5vrGXF

@Joe Bryant drool. 

So 275-325 with about an 8 hour cook. Sounds good. 

@ChiefD you’ve never steered me wrong. Help me out with the wrap. What is used? How? And what do you look for? Signs things are going well? 
I just wrap at about 4 hours with heavy duty foil. And at probably 6 hours I would check with a meat thermometer to see where you are. That gives you time to ramp up the heat the last couple hours if necessary.

At the end I usually take it off the smoker, wrap it in a towel, and throw it in a cooler for 45 minutes so so.

When I'm making my Kalua Pig, I get some banana leaves from the grocery store. I wrap them in that and then foil around that. Works good because the banana leaves contain moisture.

Did Tri-Tip yesterday.  Probably my best yet.  The wood made the difference.  Perfect amount of smoke(used Post Oak from Fruita-wood).  Dry brined for a few hours then rubbed and smoked until rare, then touched in the broiler. 

https://i.imgur.com/br1VOPr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BJ575V6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eypfh02.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tC4FoRZ.jpg
I've not cooked a tri-tip before, but it's on the list of new things to try this summer

That is some good looking eats, sir

I've not cooked a tri-tip before, but it's on the list of new things to try this summer

That is some good looking eats, sir
Thanks.  you have to try it.  If you cant find it local, Lobels sells them for $35 for a 2lb tri tip.  the marbling on them are just ridiculous.

Thanks.  Its baffling that it hasnt caught on.  i still only see it at a select few butchers here in Jersey.  Its my favorite beef and go to for large cookouts since its so easy and quick. 
I'm sure you covered it here already but can you give the details on what's your favorite way to cook them?

Joe Bryant said:
I'm sure you covered it here already but can you give the details on what's your favorite way to cook them?
Pretty much the only way i cook them is on the smoker and then slice.  i keep it very simple.  As for the details.  Usually i use a dry rub.  I have tried different ones from santa maria style to my own recipe to straight salt/pepper texas style.  I usually dry brine for an hour or two prior as well.  Sometimes i take em off early and toss em in the broiler, othertimes i dont bother. Other than that, thats really it.  the trickier part for me was getting the right amount of smoke on it.  My last one i under smoked a touch as this new wood i have is much stronger than the brand i previously used.  But yea i keep it simple.  Id be curious to hear other ways people are cooking them.  Im reheating some now to go along with some eggs :excited:

Pretty much the only way i cook them is on the smoker and then slice.  i keep it very simple.  As for the details.  Usually i use a dry rub.  I have tried different ones from santa maria style to my own recipe to straight salt/pepper texas style.  I usually dry brine for an hour or two prior as well.  Sometimes i take em off early and toss em in the broiler, othertimes i dont bother. Other than that, thats really it.  the trickier part for me was getting the right amount of smoke on it.  My last one i under smoked a touch as this new wood i have is much stronger than the brand i previously used.  But yea i keep it simple.  Id be curious to hear other ways people are cooking them.  Im reheating some now to go along with some eggs :excited:
Is the process similar to brisket? 

Cook fo 203ish.. wrap... rest... slice?

Is the process similar to brisket? 

Cook fo 203ish.. wrap... rest... slice?
no thats whats great.  Its already tender.  So you only have to cook it to desired temp.  ~125-140.  Took 45 mins yesterday to smoke them.  SO its quick.  No need for the wrapping and resting and stalling and all the work that goes into making a brisket tender.

PinkydaPimp said:
Thanks.  Its baffling that it hasnt caught on.  i still only see it at a select few butchers here in Jersey.  Its my favorite beef and go to for large cookouts since its so easy and quick. 
Same, love it. I smoke it high heat on the top grate of my WSM, so it's 18" or so off the coals. Only takes about 30-40 minutes, so it's easy to do last minute if you want to. Tremendous flavor and reasonably priced as well.

Left overs make some amazing steak sandwiches, add in some onions and mushrooms.

Chickens are drying getting ready for high smoke are 3pm today.

I've sous vide one before and then finished under the broiler but with smoking weather here finally it's back to what I posted above. Always use this rub that I pieced together from a few different recipes.

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon dried rosemary

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Occasionally will add some Aleppo depending on my mood.

Here's the good thing about smoking.  As a newcomer.  Today is my 3rd ribs cook.  What I like is that it's not like baking where everything needs to be measured out perfectly all the time - both ingredients and time.

No recipe this time, no guidelines.  I know when the ribs are ready to wrap, I know when they are ready to sauce, and I know when they are ready to come off.  

Makes smoking perfect for whiskey drinking

Here's the good thing about smoking.  As a newcomer.  Today is my 3rd ribs cook.  What I like is that it's not like baking where everything needs to be measured out perfectly all the time - both ingredients and time.

No recipe this time, no guidelines.  I know when the ribs are ready to wrap, I know when they are ready to sauce, and I know when they are ready to come off.  

Now you get it!

I know they’ve been discussed but going to try a fatty tomorrow with the shoulder. Traeger cookbook has a simple one sausage log, rub, and coffee grounds. 

Interested to see if anyone else has one they really like. Not so sure on the coffee even though I love to drink it. 

Grilled about 60 wings and a bunch of asparagus on Friday night.  Grilled 10 steaks and a bunch of “baked” potatoes Saturday night.  Toned it down and just grilled a pork loin Sunday night.  Gonna take Monday off from the grill ... maybe.

Welcome to the game, officially :banned:  

I know they’ve been discussed but going to try a fatty tomorrow with the shoulder. Traeger cookbook has a simple one sausage log, rub, and coffee grounds. 

Interested to see if anyone else has one they really like. Not so sure on the coffee even though I love to drink it. 
I’ve seen coffee used as a component in a beef rub with much success.. not sure how it would work with the flavor profile of a Fatty. My first instinct is to avoid... particularly for your first one. 

Is it possible to smoke on a regular BBQ gas grill? We don't have a ton of storage room for a smoker. We mostly grill steaks/burgers, but I'd love to try and smoke something one day.
Yes.  Just leave the burners off on the side where you are placing the meat and control the temperature with the burners on the opposite side.  Foil packs or chunks on those burners for smoke.

Big Fan of two roll pinwheel or plunger fatties.  Mix of peppers and monterrey jack cheese is probably my favorite pinwheel with butt rub on outside,

Is it possible to smoke on a regular BBQ gas grill? We don't have a ton of storage room for a smoker. We mostly grill steaks/burgers, but I'd love to try and smoke something one day.
Yes.  Just leave the burners off on the side where you are placing the meat and control the temperature with the burners on the opposite side.  Foil packs or chunks on those burners for smoke.
Depending on your gas grill, it might be difficult to keep the temperature down in the 225F "low and slow" range.  That was my experience, but it was a pretty cheap grill with just 2 burners.  But as discussed elsewhere in this thread, you can get good results at higher temps, so it's likely not a deal-breaker either way.

Big Fan of two roll pinwheel or plunger fatties.  Mix of peppers and monterrey jack cheese is probably my favorite pinwheel with butt rub on outside,
I’ll look into those. Decided to go off script and raid the fridge. Onion and shredded pepper jack cheese and then bacon weave around the outside.

Funny you mention butt rub. Using that on shoulder. Might hit fatty with it or go rudy’s For a different flavor. 

Glad i starte early. Traeger is reading at least 50degrees hotter than internal temp. Cranked it up twice now. Shoulder is still only slight brown after 4.5 hours  :wall:

Glad i starte early. Traeger is reading at least 50degrees hotter than internal temp. Cranked it up twice now. Shoulder is still only slight brown after 4.5 hours  :wall:
my 4pnd shoulder took about 7hrs..

someone here mentioned it's about 1.5-2hrs/pnd. this stuff is serious.

Users who are viewing this thread