What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (7 Viewers)

I do something similar with my Clic-Gear golf push cart and a golf umbrella parked next to the Camp Chef to keep it dry. Not that pretty, but it works.
Downside is I'm going to get really hungry every time I'm out in the rain for a while.

It's apples and sugar and some spices. Just a super easy way to add it. I personally use apple sauce and control the sugar and spices myself. 
I'm a purist when it comes to cooking, don't go in for that whole "cooking with cans" thing.

If I ever made beans on the grill, the recipe would start with a line saying "soak the beans overnight and cook for 15 minutes in a pressure cooker".

Similar with apple pie

I'm a purist when it comes to cooking, don't go in for that whole "cooking with cans" thing.

If I ever made beans on the grill, the recipe would start with a line saying "soak the beans overnight and cook for 15 minutes in a pressure cooker".

Similar with apple pie
Cool. You do you.

How much of the apple pie filling do you do to a comparable amount of beans?  I have a pretty great recipe, as I am sure we all do, but am intrigued. . .

How much of the apple pie filling do you do to a comparable amount of beans?  I have a pretty great recipe, as I am sure we all do, but am intrigued. . .
I use a can of apple pie filling per 56oz of beans. 

What I have found to be the biggest difference in adding apple pie filling... if you have a killer baked bean recipe, everyone who tries them will tell you they're great. If you have a killer apple pie baked bean recipe, everyone who tries them will tell everyone else they need to try them and you won't have any left to bring home.

What I have found to be the biggest difference in adding apple pie filling... if you have a killer baked bean recipe, everyone who tries them will tell you they're great. If you have a killer apple pie baked bean recipe, everyone who tries them will tell everyone else they need to try them and you won't have any left to bring home.
Making a few butts on the smoker this weekend.  Was not planning on doing my beans, but might have to try this now.

I see so many places just mail in the baked beans. Figure out what you like that makes them different than others and you'll be on your way. Sweeter, Tangyier, Spicier, added meat, whatever. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I see so many places just mail in the baked beans. Figure out what you like that makes them different than others and you'll be on your way. Sweeter, Tangyier, Spicier, added meat, whatever. 
Mine have some good spice to them but are also sweet.  There is a healthy amount of vinegar and brown sugar in them, as well as bacon and a bunch of whatever meat  I am smoking at the time.  I am curious to give it a try this weekend.

Doing a Mexican Street Corn bar on Sunday for a client. Going to set up a number of compound butters, a few different types of cheeses, sour cream and all sorts of rubs. Put the corn and some compound butter in foil and warm the corn up, then have the guests add whatever topping they want. 

So, anybody got some good compound butter recipes?

Mine have some good spice to them but are also sweet.  There is a healthy amount of vinegar and brown sugar in them, as well as bacon and a bunch of whatever meat  I am smoking at the time.  I am curious to give it a try this weekend.
Everyone loves spicy with sweet. I'm sure they're great. 

Doing a Mexican Street Corn bar on Sunday for a client. Going to set up a number of compound butters, a few different types of cheeses, sour cream and all sorts of rubs. Put the corn and some compound butter in foil and warm the corn up, then have the guests add whatever topping they want. 

So, anybody got some good compound butter recipes?
That sounds awesome.  I like to use coconut oil on my street corn with Butt Rub as the seasoning.  I put the coconut oil in a wine bottle with a flip top liquor pourer and keep it warm on a coffee cup warmer so it stays liquid. Gently drizzling it on after the corn is scorched and cooked works really well. Of course, 99% of it is getting good fresh, sweet corn.

That sounds awesome.  I like to use coconut oil on my street corn with Butt Rub as the seasoning.  I put the coconut oil in a wine bottle with a flip top liquor pourer and keep it warm on a coffee cup warmer so it stays liquid. Gently drizzling it on after the corn is scorched and cooked works really well. Of course, 99% of it is getting good fresh, sweet corn.
Thanks @Ron Swanson   To make sure I'm reading you right. You cook the corn and then put coconut oil on after? Like one would do with butter?

Thanks @Ron Swanson   To make sure I'm reading you right. You cook the corn and then put coconut oil on after? Like one would do with butter?
Yep.  When I make Mexican Street Corn I husk it and de-silk it and then cook it directly over my stove burners (natural gas) at about medium heat.  It doesn't take long.  Get a little char on it and you'll hear the water popping. Turn it with a pair of tongs or leave the stalk on and use that. Maybe 2 minutes and rotate it through 4 sides or so. Depends on your heat.  Then drizzle with coconut oil and add your favorite rub or chili. Lime juice, crema, or mayo are optional.

Yep.  When I make Mexican Street Corn I husk it and de-silk it and then cook it directly over my stove burners (natural gas) at about medium heat.  It doesn't take long.  Get a little char on it and you'll hear the water popping. Turn it with a pair of tongs or leave the stalk on and use that. Maybe 2 minutes and rotate it through 4 sides or so. Depends on your heat.  Then drizzle with coconut oil and add your favorite rub or chili. Lime juice, crema, or mayo are optional.
Thanks. I've never heard of that before. I don't -think- I'd like it given all the other options but I'll give it a try. Thanks. 

Gonna have to try the coconut oil thing.

My go to is to brush with butter as I cook over hot coals to get a little char, then brush on sour cream, sprinkle some cotija cheese and and then dust with BBQ rub. I made a big batch for this so I could shoot it for a blog post and I think everyone there had at least 2 full ears and one person had 4. 

I think the coconut oil adds an extra touch of sweetness over butter.  Think old school movie popcorn. But I sure won't turn down some nice buttered corn!

Did a take and bake pizza from hyvee on the camp chef last night. Was about a million times better than cooking it in the oven. 

Three racks of ribs about to go on today along with some chicken wings. 

All those pork butts got interesting. After almost 11 hours the probe said 149, and it was 19 hours until the party. I moved them into roaster pans, covered and put them in big refrigerated coolers overnight. I didn’t want to try and hold at temp for that long.

Got up at 6:30AM and put them in roaster ovens at 300F, and by 1PM a couple were done enough to pull and serve, and the rest I just held until we needed them. Lots of compliments so overall pretty happy but I was exhausted by the time we got home.

Smoked 3 butts this weekend for a big get together yesterday.  Did 3 different sauces, my slaw, and the beans.  Added the apple pie filling and I heard a lot of compliments.  Smoked some Italian sausage that I then put in the beans as well, turned out really nicely.

I made some salmon on the Camp Chef this weekend with a sweet chili garlic glaze, along with some lime & garlic drizzled shrimp and my favorite vegetable, a spicy asparagus marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha. They were all a big hit and now I'm being prodded by the family to make more fish on the grill. Oh, and as someone else said earlier, we did a take n' bake pizza on the smoker last week and it was wayyyy better than making it in the oven. I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of this thing! :headbang: :thumbup:

Fanatic, if you were to put sausages in place of brisket in your bean recipe, would you only cook them partially first?

Wife and I have been talking about getting a smoker and figured I'd reach out to you all for some advice.
Since we are new to this we'd like to start "cheap" and then upgrade later if we find ourselves really enjoying it.

I've researched some different sites and many seem to point to this one as a good "starter Smoker" 
Any thoughts on that one?

Also, any advice on what to try first (Chicken, Pork, Beef.... ), and any recipe books/sites you use would be greatly Appreciated! :popcorn:
The Masterbuilt is a good starter, but for just $150 more, you can get this one.  I got one of these in November and it has been nothing short of amazing.  Every smoke has worked to perfection and it is truly a snap to use.

Spike said:
Fanatic, if you were to put sausages in place of brisket in your bean recipe, would you only cook them partially first?
I would cook the sausage first. If nothing else to drain off the fat. But yes, cook the sausage first. 

I think I've maybe solved some of my temp control issues.  I've got a cheap-ish vertical offset (Brinkmann) where the side door on the firebox (like this but much thinner) just doesn't seal well enough for the damper to shut down the air flow.  I've tried putting high temp gasket around it, but haven't found an adhesive that will take the heat, and in the process, have warped the door slightly, leaving a gap along the top edge that makes matters worse.

Last Friday, I tried folding up some heavy-duty foil and jamming it into the gap with a grilling spatula (I got the idea after the fire was going), and it seemed to do the trick. Much better control of the fire using the damper.  Not perfect, but much better..  

I think I've maybe solved some of my temp control issues.  I've got a cheap-ish vertical offset (Brinkmann) where the side door on the firebox (like this but much thinner) just doesn't seal well enough for the damper to shut down the air flow.  I've tried putting high temp gasket around it, but haven't found an adhesive that will take the heat, and in the process, have warped the door slightly, leaving a gap along the top edge that makes matters worse.

Last Friday, I tried folding up some heavy-duty foil and jamming it into the gap with a grilling spatula (I got the idea after the fire was going), and it seemed to do the trick. Much better control of the fire using the damper.  Not perfect, but much better..  
Try oven door gaskets

https://www.ahs.com/home-matters/repair-maintenance/how-to-replace-an-oven-door-gasket

https://hawkensupport.com/products/fire-rope

http://bbqgaskets.com/

I used a braided/woven material like the "oven clip" gasket in that link, and high temp RTV adhesive.  I think maybe I needed to sand down the surface a bit, because it held up for a few cooks last year and then fell off when I first opened up the door this spring.  It didn't burn up, it just stopped sticking.

The gasket was thick enough that I had a hard time trimming it properly so that the door would still latch, since it pushed the whole deal out 1/8" or so. I think that's part of where the metal warped a little bit, since the hinges and latch were still nearly flush with the firebox.

Stupid question, the Cajun Sweet Heat ribs, would that recipe work with beef ribs as well as it does for pork?

I used a braided/woven material like the "oven clip" gasket in that link, and high temp RTV adhesive.  I think maybe I needed to sand down the surface a bit, because it held up for a few cooks last year and then fell off when I first opened up the door this spring.  It didn't burn up, it just stopped sticking.

The gasket was thick enough that I had a hard time trimming it properly so that the door would still latch, since it pushed the whole deal out 1/8" or so. I think that's part of where the metal warped a little bit, since the hinges and latch were still nearly flush with the firebox.
not sure why you need to latch it down once you have the gasket is place, specially if it's bending your door

Stupid question, the Cajun Sweet Heat ribs, would that recipe work with beef ribs as well as it does for pork?
Not really. Pork works with sweet much better than beef. For beef ribs, I would give this stuff a try, but just found out it's not out yet. I tried it at Memphis in May. I was an OUTSTANDING beef rub. Second one from the left. If the rest of the rubs and that sauce are as good as that trinity rub, look out. 

So haven’t done a real smoke yet in my new Camp Chef Woodwind, but something right must be going on.  I’ve  done burgers/corn on the cob, pork chops, and finally chicken breasts just last night.  Mrs. SayWhat, mid-bite, says “I might just be on board with this grill purchase.”   :clap:

By the way, after just three cooks I can’t imagine not having the sear station.  Having always grilled on direct heat there is something that has felt off about these pieces of meat coming off the Woodwind...that is, until they emerge from that tiny sear box looking magazine worthy.  

It's not a top door, I take it, most brinkman offsets have the door on the top
There's a top door for loading in wood/charcoal.  There's a side door for cleaning out ashes, with the damper embedded in it.  THAT's the one that has the air gap.

My wife and I just moved into a new place in Chicago with a smallish patio but big enough I am able to fit a Weber Genesis e-210 on it.  I know its an entry level grill for Weber and Ive just scanned the last few pages and realize I can’t do some of the things you guys are talking about here, but I am excited to start learning to grill like someone who knows what they are doing.  Previously I just turned the grill on, threw the meat on, and eyeballed it. Looking forward to learning a lot from everyone here and cooking more than burgers and chicken!   

If anyone has any helpful tips for a beginner im all ears.  And if there are certain posts I should go read in the 119 page thread let me know.  

One question I do have, is the I-Grill 3 thermometer worth it?  Seems like a great deal for only $99, especially for someone who cant just cook from feel yet.

ITS GRILLING SEASON!

Users who are viewing this thread