What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cooking Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
I have been wanting to start this for a while.

In this thread we can discuss tips, tricks, techniques and recipes on our home cooks.

This thread should be dedicated to indoor cooking since we have two good threads for outdoor cooking in the Grilling thread and the Big Green Egg thread.

When posting, let us know how often you cook and what types of food you enjoy cooking.

I have been cooking since I got married but it was typically only on weekends.

Since I retired a few years ago, I have been cooking almost every day.

I cook a mix of italian, asian, mexican and american foods.

My style is typically rustic, and leans towards comfort foods.

I have almost no skill in desserts and my knife skills are very average but trying to improve.

I watch a lot of Food TV and typically copy recipes I see online and then adapt them for my families tastes after making them once.

Tonight I am making something I have never tried.

Pork Carnitas

Here is the general recipe I am following (from America's Test Kitchen).

* 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch cubes and some fat trimmed

* Cubes into a large dutch oven with an onion cut in half, orange juice (from one orange), lime juice (2 tbs), orange peel, oregano, bay leaves, salt, cumin, and black pepper

* A small amount of water is added and brought to a simmer on stove top and then into 300 degree oven for at least 2 hours

* Take out when meat is fork tender

* Remove all meat from pan and separate (not shred) with two forks and put on cookie sheet

* remove all solids from liquid and reduce down to a glaze

* add glaze on to meat and then broil on low shelf for 16 minutes (flip meat at 8 minute point). This step crisps up the meat

Serve on home made tortilla's (these I have made and are great!) with caramelized red onions

Tortilla Recipe

* 13 oz of flour, 1.5 tsp of salt, and 1.5 tsp of baking powder into food processor, pulsed to mix

* add 1/3 cups of Crisco into food processor in small chunks

* pulse until Crisco looks like peas

* slowly add water while food processor running until dough comes together

* take out and kneed until smooth. Let rest in ball under wrap for 1 hour

* roll out into 12 even tortillas (about 7-8 inches wide)

* cook for ~1 minute a side on cast iron pan/skillet on medium heat (spin the tortilla's while cooking every 10 seconds so to not burn spots)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good set of knives that won't cost a fortune?

I typically use a chef's knife 90% of the time.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good set of knives that won't cost a fortune?

My thought on the knives is that you don't need to go out and spend a fortune on a hundred knives that you won't use all the time. There is also nothing bad about mismatching knives in a block! I got one of these a year or two ago and I use it for most everything. I got my paring knives from Ikea for nothing. My carving set is an antique hand-me-down, and I have had my other knives for 20+ years. Get one or two good knives that you are going to use all the time, keep the others that you have and get a sharpener to keep them sharp. A sharp ok knife is going to cut better than a dull expensive one! :2cents:

Love cooking and often think of it as my therapy. I'm not afraid to try most things. I've made homemade pasta, pierogies, pizzas...soups, stews, casseroles and even tamales.

I was pretty active blogging about a year or so ago, but I've cooled off and only do it from time to time. Mostly it was an outlet to try some writing and a way to share recipes with some of my friends.

As far as cookware, I've been building up my all-clad a few pieces at a time. I'm fortunate to live near the factory and 2x a year they have a big clearance sale so I get a piece or two every 6 months.

I am looking to replace one of my non-stick pans (needed for some things) and was looking in to the 10inch ceramic fry pan they use on Chopped. Does anyone own this?

Hopefully this thread takes off. Thanks for starting it.

Good thread.

I fancy myself a very good cook...being a bachelor most of my life actually made me learn.

I actually cook more healthy/carb and sugar friendly options so I'll share a few of those tips.

(If you want an unhealthy recipe, my mushroom risotto is requested by all my friends and family when I come in town and is the best thing I've ever eaten)

For folks watching carbs or with diabetes, other health issues.

Shrimp Fried "Rice": the rice is actually a head of grated cauliflower. Grate using the largest blade on your grater. Microwave for exactly 5 minutes and then add to whatever veggies/meat in the pan. Hit it hard with some Soy Sauce and I'm telling you it is better than real takeout fried rice. Just delicious.

When making chicken soup, always add a good healthy dash of Bell Seasoning (traditionally used in stuffing). It's the secret ingredient in my chicken noodle soup and always goes over huge with folks asking for the secret.

Cooking fish in parchment paper makes a world of difference. Lemon/dill/butter over any fish sealed into parchment paper makes cooking fish foolproof

My meatballs (not as healthy) also heavily requested by my family. First, I use the standard mix ins, but add tons of fresh parsley and garlic. My trick is to add lots of onion and garlic, however, instead of raw, cook the onion and garlic down for 10 minutes. It gives the meatballs a softer texture. Then, you MUST fry the outsides of them in oil before baking or adding to sauce. That crispy exterior is unbelievable. I even suggest not baking or sauce cooking them at all. Just shallow fry them until cooked through. Makes them delicious just to snack on. Oh and always use a blend of beef, veal,and pork.

That's all I can think of for now

Tonight I am making something I have never tried.

Pork Carnitas

Here is the general recipe I am following (from America's Test Kitchen).

* 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch cubes and some fat trimmed

* Cubes into a large dutch oven with an onion cut in half, orange juice (from one orange), lime juice (2 tbs), orange peel, oregano, bay leaves, salt, cumin, and black pepper

* A small amount of water is added and brought to a simmer on stove top and then into 300 degree oven for at least 2 hours

* Take out when meat is fork tender

* Remove all meat from pan and separate (not shred) with two forks and put on cookie sheet

* remove all solids from liquid and reduce down to a glaze

* add glaze on to meat and then broil on low shelf for 16 minutes (flip meat at 8 minute point). This step crisps up the meat

Serve on home made tortilla's (these I have made and are great!) with caramelized red onions

Tortilla Recipe

* 13 oz of flour, 1.5 tsp of salt, and 1.5 tsp of baking powder into food processor, pulsed to mix

* add 1/3 cups of Crisco into food processor in small chunks

* pulse until Crisco looks like peas

* slowly add water while food processor running until dough comes together

* take out and kneed until smooth. Let rest in ball under wrap for 1 hour

* roll out into 12 even tortillas (about 7-8 inches wide)

* cook for ~1 minute a side on cast iron pan/skillet on medium heat (spin the tortilla's while cooking every 10 seconds so to not burn spots)
This came out ok tonight.

The technique used was excellent but the flavor profile was a little too bitter for me. I think that may have been due to the orange rind. I am just going to omit that next time.

I had some left over tortilla's for the first time so I am going to try and freeze them to see how they do.

Good thread.

I fancy myself a very good cook...being a bachelor most of my life actually made me learn.

I actually cook more healthy/carb and sugar friendly options so I'll share a few of those tips.

(If you want an unhealthy recipe, my mushroom risotto is requested by all my friends and family when I come in town and is the best thing I've ever eaten)

For folks watching carbs or with diabetes, other health issues.

Shrimp Fried "Rice": the rice is actually a head of grated cauliflower. Grate using the largest blade on your grater. Microwave for exactly 5 minutes and then add to whatever veggies/meat in the pan. Hit it hard with some Soy Sauce and I'm telling you it is better than real takeout fried rice. Just delicious.

When making chicken soup, always add a good healthy dash of Bell Seasoning (traditionally used in stuffing). It's the secret ingredient in my chicken noodle soup and always goes over huge with folks asking for the secret.

Cooking fish in parchment paper makes a world of difference. Lemon/dill/butter over any fish sealed into parchment paper makes cooking fish foolproof

My meatballs (not as healthy) also heavily requested by my family. First, I use the standard mix ins, but add tons of fresh parsley and garlic. My trick is to add lots of onion and garlic, however, instead of raw, cook the onion and garlic down for 10 minutes. It gives the meatballs a softer texture. Then, you MUST fry the outsides of them in oil before baking or adding to sauce. That crispy exterior is unbelievable. I even suggest not baking or sauce cooking them at all. Just shallow fry them until cooked through. Makes them delicious just to snack on. Oh and always use a blend of beef, veal,and pork.

That's all I can think of for now
good tips!

Here is one of my favorite tips:

For newer cooks, one of the easiest things in the world to make is chicken stock, and beef stock. I make large batches of both and then freeze in smaller portions that I can then use in a million different things (almost any savory dish that calls for water can be more tasty with stock IMO).

NR

Looks like a recipe perfect for a crock pot actually if you have one.

I'd add some heat (an eighth of a cup of your favorite hot sauce) or even a can of enchilada sauce would be good there

Love cooking and often think of it as my therapy. I'm not afraid to try most things. I've made homemade pasta, pierogies, pizzas...soups, stews, casseroles and even tamales.

I was pretty active blogging about a year or so ago, but I've cooled off and only do it from time to time. Mostly it was an outlet to try some writing and a way to share recipes with some of my friends.

As far as cookware, I've been building up my all-clad a few pieces at a time. I'm fortunate to live near the factory and 2x a year they have a big clearance sale so I get a piece or two every 6 months.

I am looking to replace one of my non-stick pans (needed for some things) and was looking in to the 10inch ceramic fry pan they use on Chopped. Does anyone own this?

I don't but if you get it please post a review.

In the past few years I have been cooking more and more with cast iron, in the form of a dutch oven and a skillet, both of which I love to use for many different types of cooks.

NR

Looks like a recipe perfect for a crock pot actually if you have one.

I'd add some heat (an eighth of a cup of your favorite hot sauce) or even a can of enchilada sauce would be good there
It would work great in a crock pot but it was really easy in a dutch oven. IN 2 hours 15 minutes it was very tender.

I think adding some heat is an excellent idea to alter some of the flavor. I used some home made salsa that was pretty spicy on the carnitas meat in the tortillas and that worked well.

FRESH herbs. Very important. They are cheap to buy and cheaper to grow your own. Parsley may not be a sexy choice but add that to nearly everything brightens up the dish and gives it another layer of flavor.

If you buy it make sure you buy the one labelled Italian or Flat Leaf.

Roasted vegetables. People love steaming vegetables until they are limp. I don't get it. Potatoes, carrots, turnips, onions, etc etc are so delicious rubbed down with olive oil and S and P. Beats mashing or steaming any day in my book.

I don't but if you get it please post a review.

In the past few years I have been cooking more and more with cast iron, in the form of a dutch oven and a skillet, both of which I love to use for many different types of cooks.
I certainly will. Like you, I also have a few cast iron pieces. Very versatile

My thought on the knives is that you don't need to go out and spend a fortune on a hundred knives that you won't use all the time. There is also nothing bad about mismatching knives in a block! I got one of these a year or two ago and I use it for most everything. I got my paring knives from Ikea for nothing. My carving set is an antique hand-me-down, and I have had my other knives for 20+ years. Get one or two good knives that you are going to use all the time, keep the others that you have and get a sharpener to keep them sharp. A sharp ok knife is going to cut better than a dull expensive one! :2cents:
the knife you linked to is the shape I like to use most often.

How often do you sharpen it? The blade I have today I have to sharpen and use the steel straightening tool almost every time I cook as it gets dull very quick (it is pretty old now).

FRESH herbs. Very important. They are cheap to buy and cheaper to grow your own. Parsley may not be a sexy choice but add that to nearly everything brightens up the dish and gives it another layer of flavor.
fresh every thing! :)

One of my favorite spring to fall activities now is waking up in the morning, deciding what I want to make and going to my local farm to hand pick the produce. I go so often they just let me go out to the fields myself and I get what I want and pay when I get back to the little farm stand.

Is this a place to discuss appliances etc as well? If so, I am after some opinions as we are redoing our kitchen and updating the 1992 appliances.

Is this a place to discuss appliances etc as well? If so, I am after some opinions as we are redoing our kitchen and updating the 1992 appliances.
Sure! Have at it.

Some questions you should consider for stove:

Do you have a gas line or are you looking at electric?

Single oven or double hung?

How many cook tops do you need?

Is your budget big enough for something more commercial size?

Here is a nice guide to show the various types of cook tops and ovens available

http://reviews.cnet.com/8342-17889_7-57600338/stove-and-oven-buying-guide/

Sure! Have at it.

We are replacing an electric cooktop with a gas. We are replacing double ovens with a microwave/convection/warming drawer combo and getting a new dishwasher and fridge. We are pretty set on kitchenaid fridge....the rest is up in the air as to brand.

How often do you sharpen it? The blade I have today I have to sharpen and use the steel straightening tool almost every time I cook as it gets dull very quick (it is pretty old now).
I don't do it as often as I probably should. Usually I do it every couple of months when my dad comes to visit. (I swear in another life he was a butcher!) It holds the edge well. I need to get a new sharpener; the blades in mine have faded away.

Sure! Have at it.

We are replacing an electric cooktop with a gas. We are replacing double ovens with a microwave/convection/warming drawer combo and getting a new dishwasher and fridge. We are pretty set on kitchenaid fridge....the rest is up in the air as to brand.
Are you sure you want to get rid of the double oven? I would love to have one. Wouldn't need one every day, but those several times of the year when you needed it, it would be nice!!! If you had a place for the microwave (Above the range) than could you keep the pair of ovens?

I was a cook and chef for 10 yrs (french trained). I enjoy all types of cuisine. Favorites are rustic regional.

I was a cook and chef for 10 yrs (french trained). I enjoy all types of cuisine. Favorites are rustic regional.
does being a professional translate very well into being a home cook? If so, is there anything you brought with you (knowledge wise) from being a pro that the rest of us home cooks would miss out on?

I don't do it as often as I probably should. Usually I do it every couple of months when my dad comes to visit. (I swear in another life he was a butcher!) It holds the edge well. I need to get a new sharpener; the blades in mine have faded away.
I still have an old sharpener where you drag the knife through it many times and then use steel to straighten the blade. I never really looked inside of it but what little I can see is that it looks more like a stone.

I did not realize some sharpeners had blades in them? I always assume blades were sharpened with stone, not with other blades....

I have almost no skill in desserts and my knife skills are very average but trying to improve.

I watch a lot of Food TV and typically copy recipes I see online and then adapt them for my families tastes after making them once.
NR - great idea. This sounds a lot like me.

I have been cooking all my life, but was mostly weekends due to work. I retired back in November and have taken over the household grocery shopping and cooking. I make the kids lunches every day (2 kids - 9 and 17). I used to love cookbooks and collected them and subscribed to Cooks Illustrated for a number of years (don't anymore though due to the internet ...may go back though).

My wife is great at desserts so I leave that to her. I love trying new stuff and feel like I am pretty good at putting together meals with what we have.

I have been collecting a lot of stuff that looks good on pinterest to try. I am in the process of trying to put together a varied, mostly low carb menu rotation that the family likes and mix in plenty of room for new stuff to see if they are keepers.

Not fancy cooking for the daily stuff but like to do a little of that kind of stuff for fun. Just got a 2 quart self-contained electric ice cream maker as a retirement gift so anxious try sweet, savory combinations with that too.

A few examples of our current basics in the rotation:

- slow cooker flank steak with green chilies

- parmesan/chive coated grilled swai (any white fish will do)

- various meatloafs

- tacos

- homemade miso soup with rare tuna steaks

- bay scallop alfredo

- kafta kebab

- middle eastern lamb burgers with our taziki

- kung pao chicken

- enchiladas with scratch sauce homemade

- middle eastern lamb/pork neckbones and broth

- homemade stock soups

- coconut flour chicken nugget (use thigh meat) with homemade chik-fil-a sauce

- refried bean and chicken tostadas

I am anxious to get more into thai and korean stuff - also need to develop a much better and bigger list of creative low carb side dishes - though easier the prep the better. We still do plenty of carb stuff but try not to overload it. We mostly roast vegetables, also the kids do like green beans with a little bacon grease on the stove ... :)

does being a professional translate very well into being a home cook? If so, is there anything you brought with you (knowledge wise) from being a pro that the rest of us home cooks would miss out on?
It mostly translated well. The things that present the most challenges relate to equipment, but one also learns how to be resourceful and efficient. My home cooking vastly improved, but then changed once we had a child... so I rarely make things these that take much time. I used to create and play more at home. Now it is mostly sautéing, grilling, with occational roasting and braising.

NR - great idea. This sounds a lot like me.

I have been cooking all my life, but was mostly weekends due to work. I retired back in November and have taken over the household grocery shopping and cooking. I make the kids lunches every day (2 kids - 9 and 17). I used to love cookbooks and collected them and subscribed to Cooks Illustrated for a number of years (don't anymore though due to the internet ...may go back though).

My wife is great at desserts so I leave that to her. I love trying new stuff and feel like I am pretty good at putting together meals with what we have.

I have been collecting a lot of stuff that looks good on pinterest to try. I am in the process of trying to put together a varied, mostly low carb menu rotation that the family likes and mix in plenty of room for new stuff to see if they are keepers.

Not fancy cooking for the daily stuff but like to do a little of that kind of stuff for fun. Just got a 2 quart self-contained electric ice cream maker as a retirement gift so anxious try sweet, savory combinations with that too.

A few examples of our current basics in the rotation:

- slow cooker flank steak with green chilies

- parmesan/chive coated grilled swai (any white fish will do)

- various meatloafs

- tacos

- homemade miso soup with rare tuna steaks

- bay scallop alfredo

- kafta kebab

- middle eastern lamb burgers with our taziki

- kung pao chicken

- enchiladas with scratch sauce homemade

- middle eastern lamb/pork neckbones and broth

- homemade stock soups

- coconut flour chicken nugget (use thigh meat) with homemade chik-fil-a sauce

- refried bean and chicken tostadas

I am anxious to get more into thai and korean stuff - also need to develop a much better and bigger list of creative low carb side dishes - though easier the prep the better. We still do plenty of carb stuff but try not to overload it. We mostly roast vegetables, also the kids do like green beans with a little bacon grease on the stove ... :)
Can you share your Kung Pao? I started making Shrimp or Chicken Curry every couple of weeks. Wife loves it and surprisingly easy that you can do it on a weeknight.

Here is one of my favorite tips:

For newer cooks, one of the easiest things in the world to make is chicken stock, and beef stock. I make large batches of both and then freeze in smaller portions that I can then use in a million different things (almost any savory dish that calls for water can be more tasty with stock IMO).
I save the scraps from my vegetables in a ziplock in the freezer and when the bag is as full as it can get, I simmer it in a stock pot for 1.5 hrs. Then strain it out and put it in mason jars. Onion skins, carrot tops, celery, and the like. Nothing bitter like broccoli or cabbage. I use it in everything and it totally adds another layer of flavor....and it's free.

Sure! Have at it.

Are you sure you want to get rid of the double oven? I would love to have one. Wouldn't need one every day, but those several times of the year when you needed it, it would be nice!!! If you had a place for the microwave (Above the range) than could you keep the pair of ovens?
We had one in our old house and used it 2 - 3 times a year tops. The microwave we are looking at is also a convection oven, just smaller. We think it will work perfectly for us. We wouldn't have to warm up a huge oven to do a batch of brownies or a pizza etc. Part of the reason we are looking at the combo is because our cooktop is in an island and we have no spot in our cabinets to put a microwave. There is a shelf with a small microwave on it right now, and it works "ok" but not ideal.

I am planning a simple chicken stir fry tonight

*Chicken breast cut up in slices and marinated in soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic powder and ginger powder

*Veggie are carrots, red bell pepper, onions, and water chestnuts

*Sauce will be sautéed garlic and ginger, and then chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, crushed red pepper and a thickening agent(see below)

*I stir fry using peanut oil in a heavy skillet (never really mastered a wok)

*Served over rice

Question: What do you guys like to use as a thickening agent? I tend to use corn starch but I see that is frowned on by some.

I still have an old sharpener where you drag the knife through it many times and then use steel to straighten the blade. I never really looked inside of it but what little I can see is that it looks more like a stone.

I did not realize some sharpeners had blades in them? I always assume blades were sharpened with stone, not with other blades....
May be a misnomer on my part. Stones is a better word. They have either moved or have been grinded to a height where they no longer do anything to the blade of the knife, they just scratch the steel above it.

You can sharpen a knife with a 'blade.' I'm sure you've seen this sort of thing. I have one (it's more of a + than a cone) that matches my carving set, I just don't feel comfortable using it!

I see you watch or get recipes from ATK. They've done many knife reviews over the years and always conclude that the Victorinox by Forshcner is the best value (used to be $25 to $30, but is now pushing $40). Far as I can tell, that's what they mostly use in the Test Kitchens.

I have the 8" Chef's knife by them and a bread knife. I like it, but I'm still not overly impressed. Feels great and seems to hold the edge a long time, but I have hard time getting a crazy sharp edge on it. Part of the issue might be that, I think, it has a 15 degree "Eastern edge" while my sharpener is designed for a 20-degree "Western edge". I only use the steel with it now to maintain the edge, which works well. The bread knife is fantastic, after trying some cheaper ones prior.

Outside of that, I think the Sam's chef's knives are actually pretty good. You get an 8" and a 10" for $10 or $15. They get crazy sharp with my particular sharpener. I think they great knives for the money.

I personally would never get a set of knives. A good chef's knife, a good cleaver (got a Henckel's for that, that I love), and a good paring knife is really all your need, I think.

May be a misnomer on my part. Stones is a better word. They have either moved or have been grinded to a height where they no longer do anything to the blade of the knife, they just scratch the steel above it.

You can sharpen a knife with a 'blade.' I'm sure you've seen this sort of thing. I have one (it's more of a + than a cone) that matches my carving set, I just don't feel comfortable using it!
I believe the bold is a bit of a misnomer. Steel does not "sharpen", knives, it "straightens/aligns" the blade. Steel works in conjunction with a sharpening stone. Read here for more info

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/How-to-Use-a-Sharpening-Steel-W62C120.aspx

I believe the bold is a bit of a misnomer. Steel does not "sharpen", knives, it "straightens/aligns" the blade. Steel works in conjunction with a sharpening stone. Read here for more info

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/How-to-Use-a-Sharpening-Steel-W62C120.aspx
Interesting. Makes sense!

The thicken agent depends upon the dish. I use a slurry for many Asian dishes, roux for more European sauces/soups, and for some soups I have just used potatoes or rice.

As for knives I think one can function with a chef's knife, pairing, and serrated. My set is a henckels, but I have added different brands based on function and pteferrence (global, shun, etc). My henkels chefs knife has some weight to it.... goog for heavier production. My global chef's knife is light.. very good for delicate cuts like sashimi.

Edit: sharpening.... yes, the steel balances the blade. I have used diamond steels that actually made them feel sharpened. IMO the best is a tri-stone.... 3 grades of coarse-fine.

The thicken agent depends upon the dish. I use a slurry for many Asian dishes.
What do you use in your slurry? I see online people use either corn starch, arrow root, tapioco starch or flour.

I always use a slurry too but was more interested in what you use for the thickening agent itself, more than the technique.

Alton Brown has a good piece on knives. Honing a knife isn't the same as having it sharpened.
You can probably just make that sentence "Alton Brown has a good piece on ________"!

Good Eats was/is one of my favorite cooking shows ever. Partly because of the way it was shot (AB was a film guy before a cooking show guy) but mostly because it explained WHY you needed to do everything. Instead of just saying throw in this and this and this and whoa la here is the dish, he said what each ingredient was going to do. One of my favorites was the one where he made chocolate chip cookies (Three Chips for Sister Marsha) and showed how to make them 3 different ways (Chewy, Puffy, Thin) based on subtle changes to the recipe. Really cool.

I haven't watched chopped in a while. Are they making a slurry or just throwing in the corn starch? If you don't desolve it first it can make the dish pretty nasty..

Alton Brown has a good piece on knives. Honing a knife isn't the same as having it sharpened.
You can probably just make that sentence "Alton Brown has a good piece on ________"!

Good Eats was/is one of my favorite cooking shows ever. Partly because of the way it was shot (AB was a film guy before a cooking show guy) but mostly because it explained WHY you needed to do everything. Instead of just saying throw in this and this and this and whoa la here is the dish, he said what each ingredient was going to do. One of my favorites was the one where he made chocolate chip cookies (Three Chips for Sister Marsha) and showed how to make them 3 different ways (Chewy, Puffy, Thin) based on subtle changes to the recipe. Really cool.
It is ironic because he has always been my favorite celebrity "chef" and yet I don't technically believe he is a chef.

I must have seen 2000 good eats over the years and still go to him on youtube when ever I need an explanation.

It is ironic because he has always been my favorite celebrity "chef" and yet I don't technically believe he is a chef.

I must have seen 2000 good eats over the years and still go to him on youtube when ever I need an explanation.
I think he went to culinary school once he decided to make cooking shows.

I haven't watched chopped in a while. Are they making a slurry or just throwing in the corn starch? If you don't desolve it first it can make the dish pretty nasty..
This has not happened in a while but I remember them being "shocked" when the contestant just got it off the shelf before he had a chance to even show a basic technique.

I think they prefer an agent called ultratex, which I had never heard of before seeing it on Chopped. I think it is a tapioca starch but not sure. I don't see it in my local market.

You can probably just make that sentence "Alton Brown has a good piece on ________"! Good Eats was/is one of my favorite cooking shows ever. Partly because of the way it was shot (AB was a film guy before a cooking show guy) but mostly because it explained WHY you needed to do everything. Instead of just saying throw in this and this and this and whoa la here is the dish, he said what each ingredient was going to do. One of my favorites was the one where he made chocolate chip cookies (Three Chips for Sister Marsha) and showed how to make them 3 different ways (Chewy, Puffy, Thin) based on subtle changes to the recipe. Really cool.
It is ironic because he has always been my favorite celebrity "chef" and yet I don't technically believe he is a chef.I must have seen 2000 good eats over the years and still go to him on youtube when ever I need an explanation.
Going to culinary school does not make one a "chef" I don't think.

I think you have to have some training under a chef and then act as a chef yourself running a restaurant kitchen.

If you notice, he is never introduced as a chef on any show he is on.

I see nothing wrong with cornstarch slurry in the right dishes. Roux's in others. Especially for home cooks. Screw those pretentious judges on chopped.

I loved Good Eats as well. I've learned a LOT of things from Alton Brown and wished there would be more Good Eats shows and less Cutthroat Kitchens.

Two of my favorite Good Eats shows are the Standing Rib Roast (where I learned how simple and effective it is to dry age beef, if only for a few days) and Who Loves You Baby Back (which started me off on making ribs - which I've since graduated to smoking, etc).

Right, but he was a film guy who made a cooking show, not like 99% of the others who are chefs first then they got a show.

Users who are viewing this thread