What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Atheism Irrational? NYTimes Opinion Piece (1 Viewer)

^^^ I don't necessarily disagree, but I still can't fully agree. I think you know where I'm at. Maybe more like 10/25ths.
Roger that. You mentioned intellectual doubts... you struggle with several doctrines including the inerrancy of scripture, literal interpretation of Old Testament events and the exclusivity of Christianity.

Inerrancy in scripture is not attainable, IMO, and I don't think it is necessary to have a literal interpretation of all OT events. But I see and agree with what you are saying. A literal flood covering the entire world is ridiculous and I don't believe the exodus occurred as written. The question may be how would/could an allegorical interpretation affect NT doctrines such as the idea of original sin and the new covenant?

I'm not sure what evidence guys are using today to say God is real. All I want is some good evidence like what we read about in the bible. Part the Red Sea again or something like that and I'm good. He's done it before (according to the bible) so why not, in this age of we live in now, with everyone going around with a smartphone in their pocket that can shoot video...why won't He just provide us with something again? Maybe we can even add some more to the bible if we can get this evidence.

mr roboto said:
This is the last point I will make regarding the reasons why I continue to be a Christian in the face of intellectual doubts. What I have observed with hundreds of people in my life is that when they truly submit their hearts and minds of the teachings of Christ and apply the New Testament principles of scripture to their lives these principles work.

I struggle with several doctrines including the inerrancy of scripture, literal interpretation of Old Testament events and the exclusivity of Christianity. My deep struggles with some of these doctrines caused me to leave seminary and decide to pursue a career outside the church rather than become a minister. I personally felt that I shouldn't try to lead a church or a congregation holding some of the struggles and doubts in my mind that I had. So I must appeal to a certain level of mystery regarding my faith that I will never feel 100% comfortable with intellectually. Yet when I pray and submit myself to the teachings of Christ and try to love as God loves and counsel others in the ways of God and worship with my family they provide a peace and a stability and a quality of life that I have not found in any other way. I believe Christ is real and I believe God exists. I believe this because there is no clear evidence to the contrary that I can find that will convince me that my experiences with God are completely invalid.
I have also seen the way that Christian fellowship has exceptionally positive effects on many people that are close to me. Thoughtful prayer and submitting one's self to the teachings of Christ and being a light, if you will, to those around you has an observable effect on many people in terms of internal peace and stability in their lives.

Those experiences are not invalid. On the contrary, they help build the foundation that many believers rest upon in a tumultuous world. I would submit that these feelings, however, can be achieved whether Christ and God are real or not.

Enter faith. It is the simple faith in those things that can give the believer the peace and stability you describe. I would imagine there are a vast number of muslims who feel the same peace and stability in their own faith, and they do not believe Jesus is God or the son of God. Ditto buddhists, Taoists, and so forth.
When you look around the world and see people having the same experiences no matter what the belief system, as positive as those experiences are and as happy as you want to be for folks like roboto and his brother, and shader and Commish and every other Christian in here.. the natural conclusion is that religion is a hell of a drug. I chalk it up to being a part of a like-minded congregation, and just feeling like you're part of something bigger than your measley little random life. And I completely understand.
I think fellowship is a hell of a drug (and in fact is a pretty universally good thing). I do not believe that theists, or any branch therof, are inherently more moral than atheists (nor do I believe the converse, BTW). But I do think there may be something to the idea that fellowship and participation in a community of common moral motivation may be a particularly good means of increasing human happiness.

I
Its a double edged sword imo. It can easily go sideways.
In contrast to people like Hitchens, Maher, and Sam Harris I don't think religion is at all unique in its ability to make good men do bad things. I think that can be said for any number of isms. Nativism. Statism. Classism. Certainly militant secularlism. And most popularly, authoritarianism, which is probably the genus for any number of specific species of isms that we could identify.

(HULK) said:
ghostguy123 said:
So at the risk of being stramanned again (even though I am sure it will again anyway), I will just ask this question:

Is it really irrational to say that something doesn't exist when it has never been proven to exist?
I think its irrational to say with certainty that it doesn't exist. But its fine to believe it doesn't as your default assumption.

For example, I don't believe that there is an invisible pink unicorn living in my ceiling tiles at work... but I can't definitive say that it doesn't exist because I've never stuck my head up there to not see it (its invisible imo) and sometimes I hear some weird noises coming from there.

I think it would be silly to assert its existence with no evidence other than the say so of people who worked in this office 2 millennium ago and had very little understanding about how the world and universe worked. I mean, these folks used to believe that the office stapler was a demon bent on binding all of the papyrus into one giant mass. They didn't understand gravity, celestial movements, etc etc. They made up stories to fill in the gaps in their knowledge, just like every society throughout history has done... my office was no different back then. So, whenever I come across a faded memo from 2000 years ago asserting that a water demon eats the feces we deposit in the office toilet, or that an invisible pink unicorn lives in the ceiling and is responsible for the occasional noise up there, I dismiss it. Relying on the people who wrote those memos for information about how the world around them worked would be like asking my 6 year old daughter to solve a calculus problem and then taking her answer as correct and serious.

So no, I can't definitively say that there is no invisible pink unicorn in my office's ceiling. I do not believe it is there, and I question the judgment of any who assert its existence.
Well, if ya wanna get technical based on the definition of irrational, then you can assert that there is definitively NOT a pink unicorn in your office ceiling without being irrational.

Even if someday down the road there is proven to be a pink unicorn in the ceiling, it still does not mean your initial thoughts were irrational.

No, I don't care to share any examples. I haven't been a part of this thread, and have no desire really to read it. Just popped in, saw the usual garbage, and made a quick statement.

The evidence is quite vast, but again, we just interpret the evidence differently. Which is why there are atheists and there are believers, as Commish pointed out.
Well, OK. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying then. When you use the term "vast evidence", and I'm pretty sure we disagree on what constitutes "evidence", then without examples, I have no idea what you're saying. But, you don't have to play if you don't want to.

If "I believe because it makes me feel good" is considered evidence, then the word is meaningless.

I'm not sure what evidence guys are using today to say God is real. All I want is some good evidence like what we read about in the bible. Part the Red Sea again or something like that and I'm good.
Why would that be at all persuasive? If somebody parts the Red Sea, I'll believe that there exists an entity powerful enough to part the Red Sea. But that's a long way from believing that there's an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, omnibenevolent entity who created our universe and sent his son to die for our sins.

You might as well watch somebody bench 500 lbs and then say "I'm good" regarding the claim that he can bench 1,000,000 pounds while singing the French National Anthem backwards. The first part is terribly weak evidence for the second part.

Last edited by a moderator:
mr roboto said:
This is the last point I will make regarding the reasons why I continue to be a Christian in the face of intellectual doubts. What I have observed with hundreds of people in my life is that when they truly submit their hearts and minds of the teachings of Christ and apply the New Testament principles of scripture to their lives these principles work.

I struggle with several doctrines including the inerrancy of scripture, literal interpretation of Old Testament events and the exclusivity of Christianity. My deep struggles with some of these doctrines caused me to leave seminary and decide to pursue a career outside the church rather than become a minister. I personally felt that I shouldn't try to lead a church or a congregation holding some of the struggles and doubts in my mind that I had. So I must appeal to a certain level of mystery regarding my faith that I will never feel 100% comfortable with intellectually. Yet when I pray and submit myself to the teachings of Christ and try to love as God loves and counsel others in the ways of God and worship with my family they provide a peace and a stability and a quality of life that I have not found in any other way. I believe Christ is real and I believe God exists. I believe this because there is no clear evidence to the contrary that I can find that will convince me that my experiences with God are completely invalid.
I have also seen the way that Christian fellowship has exceptionally positive effects on many people that are close to me. Thoughtful prayer and submitting one's self to the teachings of Christ and being a light, if you will, to those around you has an observable effect on many people in terms of internal peace and stability in their lives.

Those experiences are not invalid. On the contrary, they help build the foundation that many believers rest upon in a tumultuous world. I would submit that these feelings, however, can be achieved whether Christ and God are real or not.

Enter faith. It is the simple faith in those things that can give the believer the peace and stability you describe. I would imagine there are a vast number of muslims who feel the same peace and stability in their own faith, and they do not believe Jesus is God or the son of God. Ditto buddhists, Taoists, and so forth.
:goodposting: I read Mr. Roboto's responses before I went into a meeting and didn't have a way to put my response into words. I come back and you've written this, which pretty much summarizes how I was going to respond. Only much more eloquent than I could've been.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am certain my wife loves me.

Whether she does or doesn't actually love me doesnt matter. My thought is not irrational, whether it is an absolute certainty or not.

People seem to be getting all bent out of shape on the "certainty" of things, when thoughts can be rational (based on any actual definition of what rational actually is) without absolute certainty.

There have also been scientific facts that were facts at one time, and later proved to be incorrect. Was it irrational to believe those prior scientific facts as certainties?

There seems to be a "nothing is certain" crowd, saying that every thought is irrational. A rational thought doesn't need certainty.

Even if you say "I am certain there is no God". Based on any definition of rational, that statement is NOT irrational, whether it's correct or not. There is not one shred of proof anywhere to disprove the statement.

Now if you say "I am certain there is a God". THAT is an irrational statement. There is nothing and has never been anything recorded to suggest a God exists.

If you want to believe it, fine. If it makes you feel better to believe in a God, fine, since that is the entire purpose of religion anyway.

I'm not sure what evidence guys are using today to say God is real. All I want is some good evidence like what we read about in the bible. Part the Red Sea again or something like that and I'm good.
Why would that be at all persuasive? If somebody parts the Red Sea, I'll believe that there exists an entity powerful enough to part the Red Sea. But that's a long way from believing that there's an omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent entity who created our universe and sent his son to die for our sins.

You might as well watch somebody bench 500 lbs and then say "I'm good" regarding the claim that he can bench 1,000,000 pounds while singing the French National Anthem backwards. The first part is terribly weak evidence of the second part.
I see what you are saying but if crazy stuff like that started happening I think you would have to at least give more credibility to what the bible is saying.

mr roboto said:

When you look around the world and see people having the same experiences no matter what the belief system, as positive as those experiences are and as happy as you want to be for folks like roboto and his brother, and shader and Commish and every other Christian in here.. the natural conclusion is that religion is a hell of a drug. I chalk it up to being a part of a like-minded congregation, and just feeling like you're part of something bigger than your measley little random life. And I completely understand.
I think fellowship is a hell of a drug (and in fact is a pretty universally good thing). I do not believe that theists, or any branch therof, are inherently more moral than atheists (nor do I believe the converse, BTW). But I do think there may be something to the idea that fellowship and participation in a community of common moral motivation may be a particularly good means of increasing human happiness.

I
Its a double edged sword imo. It can easily go sideways.
In contrast to people like Hitchens, Maher, and Sam Harris I don't think religion is at all unique in its ability to make good men do bad things. I think that can be said for any number of isms. Nativism. Statism. Classism. Certainly militant secularlism. And most popularly, authoritarianism, which is probably the genus for any number of specific species of isms that we could identify.
Not gonna argue with you on this, as I agree.

JZilla said:
These conversations, particularly between the nonbelievers, always devolve into hairsplitting over language.
That's by necessity. It makes no sense to argue about the existence of gods until we specify exactly what it means for someone (or something?) to be a god. A clear definition of god -- i.e., a specified list of attributes someone must have in order to qualify as a god -- is seldom forthcoming from theists in these sorts of discussions, so I use my own definition. To me, a god is an entity that merits our worship.

Suppose Yahweh exist, pretty much as described in the Old Testament. Suppose further that he uses his considerable powers to present irrefutable evidence to us of his existence.

In that situation, it would be silly to sit around arguing about whether Yahweh exists. But whether any gods exist would still be a rather controversial topic. Yahweh, IMO, does not satisfy my definition of a god. There's no way around the fact, however, that it's an argument over semantics.
Believers in almost all religious sects will tell you a god is something that IS worshipped. This is probably a severe disconnect in communication now that I think about it.
And under that definition, there's no doubt that many gods exist. Evidence for the existence of the sun, for example, is overwhelming; and many cultures have worshipped the sun.

That's not a very good definition, IMO, but either way, the point is that semantics really do matter.
it's probably not a good secular definition, i agree, but that's how it's defined in the theology of Christianity, so that's how Christians use it when they are discussing it.

I will congratulate the non-theists in here for handling my self-disclosure with grace.
I'm putting on my white short sleeved button up and black tie and backpack right now. I'll be at your door by dinner time asking you if you've heard the word of god isn't real.

I will congratulate the non-theists in here for handling my self-disclosure with grace.
Most of us have been in a similar position to you. I don't think anyone's gonna harass you for being honest that you're questioning your faith a little bit. I appreciate you being open enough to discuss it.

the Greensboro Baptists, etc.
Good to see someone else shares my irrational hatred for random, inoffensive churches in North Carolina. Your day of reckoning will come, Pastor Mitch Dowell!
Doh, did I screw that up? The anti gay protesters that picket military funerals. Whatever their name is.
:lol: I just noticed his response. Westboro I believe they are called.
After living for 3 years at Fort Bragg, I pretty much hate the whole state anyways. Except the Outer Banks.

I'm putting on my white short sleeved button up and black tie and backpack right now. I'll be at your door by dinner time asking you if you've heard the word of god isn't real.
I'll get the beer out for you. Nice Revolution IPA.
One of the 10 Commandments of being an atheist is Thou Shall Appreciate Microbrews. You're on the path already.

I love these threads when they're not antagonistic. And I hate them when they are.

Today's been good since Pop Eminence stopped posting in here imo.

I'll get the beer out for you. Nice Revolution IPA.
One of the 10 Commandments of being an atheist is Thou Shall Appreciate Microbrews. You're on the path already.
I'm going to start telling my mother that microbrews are the reason I left the Catholic church. Ironically, the timing works out pretty well.

Why would that be at all persuasive? If somebody parts the Red Sea, I'll believe that there exists an entity powerful enough to part the Red Sea. But that's a long way from believing that there's an omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent entity who created our universe and sent his son to die for our sins.

You might as well watch somebody bench 500 lbs and then say "I'm good" regarding the claim that he can bench 1,000,000 pounds while singing the French National Anthem backwards. The first part is terribly weak evidence of the second part.
I see what you are saying but if crazy stuff like that started happening I think you would have to at least give more credibility to what the bible is saying.
Some months from now, when somebody purporting to be Yahweh comes down and parts the Red Sea, I don't want to be accused of moving the goalposts. I'm stating up front that it won't be enough to convince me.

Good to see someone else shares my irrational hatred for random, inoffensive churches in North Carolina. Your day of reckoning will come, Pastor Mitch Dowell!
Doh, did I screw that up? The anti gay protesters that picket military funerals. Whatever their name is.
After living for 3 years at Fort Bragg, I pretty much hate the whole state anyways. Except the Outer Banks.
<_<

<_<
Left a real bad taste in my mouth. First time I heard people openly using the N-word. I was 23 when I got there. I had NEVER heard someone use it, and all of a sudden I was pretty much hearing it weekly, from different people each time.

Raleigh was alright I guess. But Fort Bragg/Fayetteville was awful.

<_<
Left a real bad taste in my mouth. First time I heard people openly using the N-word. I was 23 when I got there. I had NEVER heard someone use it, and all of a sudden I was pretty much hearing it weekly, from different people each time.

Where are you from? You seem to have lived a very sheltered life if you didn't hear the n word until you were 23

<_<

Where are you from? You seem to have lived a very sheltered life if you didn't hear the n word until you were 23
I grew up in the state of NC and maybe heard the term twice in the time I've been alive. I'm 40. My point to HULK with the <_< was that we don't judge states by the military base areas they experience. Those areas are all holes and suck and have these kinds of people. I'm not sure why that's true, but it is. Columbia SC is the one exception I am familiar with, but even then it's freakin' center of the earth hot down there during the summer....it sucks.

<_<

I grew up in the state of NC and maybe heard the term twice in the time I've been alive. I'm 40. My point to HULK with the <_< was that we don't judge states by the military base areas they experience. Those areas are all holes and suck and have these kinds of people. I'm not sure why that's true, but it is. Columbia SC is the one exception I am familiar with, but even then it's freakin' center of the earth hot down there during the summer....it sucks.
If you had black friends growing up as a kid you heard them saying the N word all the time.

<_<

Grew up in the DC area, went to undergrad in Cleveland. No one I hung out with was a racist... hence never hearing it. I'm far from sheltered. I just lived in areas where that kind of BS isn't tolerated.

<_<

If you had black friends growing up as a kid you heard them saying the N word all the time.
No, I really didn't. The first time I heard it was at an away basketball game. We didn't use it on the basketball or baseball teams :shrug:

<_<

I was being kinda silly with the post though.

<_<

Not the ones I'm friends with. No one uses that word around here.

<_<

Grew up in the DC area, went to undergrad in Cleveland. No one I hung out with was a racist... hence never hearing it. I'm far from sheltered. I just lived in areas where that kind of BS isn't tolerated.
You realize black people say the N word all the time, especially kids. How many black friends did you have growing up? Also, other white kids that aren't racist, will say the N word in the context of a joke. Justin Bieber said the n word in the context of a joke as a kid and he is about as non racist as can be, all his friends are black and his style is black too.

Very strange you made it to 23 without hearing one person say the N word in public. I think you are either lying or lived a sheltered life.

<_<

You realize black people say the N word all the time, especially kids. How many black friends did you have growing up? Also, other white kids that aren't racist, will say the N word in the context of a joke. Justin Bieber said the n word in the context of a joke as a kid and he is about as non racist as can be, all his friends are black and his style is black too.

Very strange you made it to 23 without hearing one person say the N word in public. I think you are either lying or lived a sheltered life.
Ending in gga doesn't = ending in gger. I never heard gger ever. No one used it. I was 6'4" when I was 14... as you might imagine, I was friends with plenty of black kids growing up.

<_<

Ending in gga doesn't = ending in gger. I never heard gger ever. No one used it. I was 6'4" when I was 14... as you might imagine, I was friends with plenty of black kids growing up.
Oh, I see.

One of my black friends use to call me a ruthless gger on the basketball court and he didn't mean anything bad about it. I guess it depends on the context. I never heard anyone use the n word in person, in the context of actual hate.

Growing up, two of my black friends got into a fight and they each said to each other I am going to f you up gger but they just were mad at each other, and that didn't mean they both hated black people, that wouldn't make sense.

<_<

I was being kinda silly with the post though.
I know :thumbup:

<_<

seriously.....just go away.

There is an elephant in the roomful of scientists who are trying to explain the development of life. The elephant is labeled 'intelligent design.' To a person who does not feel obliged to restrict his search to unintelligent causes, the straightforward conclusion is that many biochemical systems were designed. They were designed not by the laws of nature, not by chance and necessity; rather they were planned. The designer knew what the systems would look like when they were completed, then took steps to bring the systems about. Life on earth at its most fundamental level, in its most critical components, is the product of intelligent activity.

There is an elephant in the roomful of scientists who are trying to explain the development of life. The elephant is labeled 'intelligent design.' To a person who does not feel obliged to restrict his search to unintelligent causes, the straightforward conclusion is that many biochemical systems were designed. They were designed not by the laws of nature, not by chance and necessity; rather they were planned. The designer knew what the systems would look like when they were completed, then took steps to bring the systems about. Life on earth at its most fundamental level, in its most critical components, is the product of intelligent activity.
Plagiarized

I think you need to get out more

:goodposting:

This video is a great representation of this concept

Users who are viewing this thread