What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** Prospects and Mid-Season Callup Thread (1 Viewer)

Bobcat10

Footballguy
Keeping track of hot prospects for deeper dynasty leagues or mid-season callups for redrafts can win leagues. Usually a few of these threads pop up, so let's try to keep it all in one place.

For research purposes, I've found this site helpful, lots of links in one place:

http://fantasyrundown.com/2014_MLB_Prospects.html

Matrix site - http://www.scoutingbook.com

Let's start throwing out some names and get this ball rolling. Who will you be drafting to stash? Who will be on your watch list come April? Just to name a few...

T. Walker
Jose Abreu
J. Taillon
G. Springer
B. Hamilton

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamilton is the highest risk/reward fantasy rookie I can remember. He has the potential to win a category by himself but also the possibility of ending up back in Louisville.

I think most leagues will buy into the promise and draft him early. His current ADP is 64 (OF25) which is aggressive for a two-category player. I understand the appeal because with Hamilton on the squad, owners can pretty much forget about SB for the rest of the draft. But until he proves otherwise, he's basically Ben Revere plus 40 SB. Between that and the non-zero risk of being a bust, I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as an OF2.

In standard leagues, it's always possible to find speed during the season. Maybe not Hamilton's speed but enough to keep a team mid-table in SBs. If the rest of your team is solid, you can probably win with that.

Hamilton is the highest risk/reward fantasy rookie I can remember. He has the potential to win a category by himself but also the possibility of ending up back in Louisville.

I think most leagues will buy into the promise and draft him early. His current ADP is 64 (OF25) which is aggressive for a two-category player. I understand the appeal because with Hamilton on the squad, owners can pretty much forget about SB for the rest of the draft. But until he proves otherwise, he's basically Ben Revere plus 40 SB. Between that and the non-zero risk of being a bust, I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as an OF2.

In standard leagues, it's always possible to find speed during the season. Maybe not Hamilton's speed but enough to keep a team mid-table in SBs. If the rest of your team is solid, you can probably win with that.
I'm convinced they're rolling with Hamilton bust or no. The Revere comparison may be accurate as a hitter, but A. I actually think Revere + 40 steals should go high and B. Revere doesn't leadoff every day in front of a good lineup like Hamilton will. I don't see him as that big of a question mark. He barely has to hit all to bring roto value.

Are we giving Hamilton a little too much credit in the Revere comp? Revere is a .285 career hitter, and I don't think Billy sniffs that this season. I'm using 2008 Willy Taveras as my Hamilton projection.

Andrew Heaney was relatively close to winning the #5 spot with Miami, gotta think he's up sooner than later

Dylan Bundy should be back from TJ sometime around the ASB or a tick sooner

If Cleveland falls out of it and deals Asdrubal, Lindor will be up immediately.

Ditto for the Cubs with Javier Baez, possibly Kris Bryant

Springer would be on Houston already if not for service time concerns. Figure June for him

Syndergaard with the Mets, Stephenson with Reds should be first up if there's an injury

Mikael Franco needs to keep hitting and have Asche fall on his face (not impossible) to get a quick call-up

Will add more later but these are the main ones not mentioned yet that i've been keying on at the ends of drafts

Can anyone give a list of prospects who might get called up at some point and their value? I see the names but who are some of the top guys to watch out for? Is there a Puig out there to be called up?

Just to update you guys - Taillon got a second opinion this week on his elbow and mum's been the word so far.

If the mets continue to suck, I think Syndegaard will be here sooner than later to change the story. Could see the last week of April, trying to find a way to stash him, I think he's the best pitching prospect that will come up this year unless Walker gets healthy

If the mets continue to suck, I think Syndegaard will be here sooner than later to change the story. Could see the last week of April, trying to find a way to stash him, I think he's the best pitching prospect that will come up this year unless Walker gets healthy
If they continue to suck, there are millions of reasons to leave him in the minors until mid-June.

If they continue to suck, there are millions of reasons to leave him in the minors until mid-June.
Absolutely, I'm just trying to give some regional perspective to how these guys operate. I think the mets have a guilty conscious about running such a crappy, low rent organization, and in recent years, struggles have seen them be reactive to promoting guys. I'm just trying to give a heads up and there's no scuttlebutt of anything being eminent but Sandy himself said they need a month in AAA.

If you have the roster room and need and arm, he's as good a lottery ticket as any I figure.

Baez (plus Alcantara) and Taveras (plus Piscotty) are squaring off in Des Moines this weekend if the games gets played. Gonna try and get down there to see them.

15 person league. Don't use RBI's and runs. Just HR's, SB, TB, AVG, OBP

We have 100 bucks to spend on free agents. How much is Springer worth?

Now that Springer is getting the call I can dispose of an extra of to speculate on another prospect.

I figured Polanco was a shoe in given all the praise, but ire viewed his numbers and...meh. What am I missing? If he doesn't hit get better vs breaking balls and carry over the walk rate he is just another 10/20 bat. That has value, but not simmering on my bench waiting for a call up that May or may not come.

Now that Springer is getting the call I can dispose of an extra of to speculate on another prospect.

I figured Polanco was a shoe in given all the praise, but ire viewed his numbers and...meh. What am I missing? If he doesn't hit get better vs breaking balls and carry over the walk rate he is just another 10/20 bat. That has value, but not simmering on my bench waiting for a call up that May or may not come.
I think part of what has my attention is how much they let Marte run. Polanco seems just as good of a base running threat in the minors if not better and they let Marte rack up 41 steals last year. I don't think he will have the slash line or the supporting cast or the ballpark to become that special at Runs/RBIs though.

I think part of what has my attention is how much they let Marte run. Polanco seems just as good of a base running threat in the minors if not better and they let Marte rack up 41 steals last year. I don't think he will have the slash line or the supporting cast or the ballpark to become that special at Runs/RBIs though.
I think I am way too fickle with the end of my bench to have a guy like him. Realistic best case is probably hitting 2nd and stealing the equivalent to 30 some bases over a full season, which is obviously valuable, but to sit on for an unknown period of time? Blegh. If he played SS I'd do it, but OF's like him are too often available throughout the season in most leagues. The ones they are not Polanco is already rostered anyway.

I threw my dart at Singleton. Power hitting corner infielder's are much harder to come by in-season. The K's are going to cause an average issue, but if the walk rate carries over I don't think saying he has a Jose Abreu ceiling is too outlandish.

I think I am way too fickle with the end of my bench to have a guy like him. Realistic best case is probably hitting 2nd and stealing the equivalent to 30 some bases over a full season, which is obviously valuable, but to sit on for an unknown period of time? Blegh. If he played SS I'd do it, but OF's like him are too often available throughout the season in most leagues. The ones they are not Polanco is already rostered anyway.

I threw my dart at Singleton. Power hitting corner infielder's are much harder to come by in-season. The K's are going to cause an average issue, but if the walk rate carries over I don't think saying he has a Jose Abreu ceiling is too outlandish.
I've had Singleton on a dynasty roster for a few years now. Hoping for a poor man's Ryan Howard type of career. The obvious physical similarities are there and he's never going to reach Howard levels, but I don't think 260-35-110 in his prime is out of the question. Which probably means 240-20-75 prorated to whatever portion of this season he plays.

Taveras has been on a tear. Cards skipped him over for Grichuk when they sent down Shane Robinson, presumably because they still want Taveras to play every day in the minors.

At some point, they need to realize that Taveras could play every day in the majors and that would be a good thing, right?

C.J. Cron deserves a mention. He has power and the opportunity to stick in Anaheim. His OPS is currently 750 points higher than George Springer's.

Wilmer Flores coming back up Friday. He's been hitting real well in AAA, apparently he's going to play SS (which he probably can't really do).

Any word on Singleton?

They said he needed a AAA track record, and he's now got 450 PA's there with 160 this season at a K% that's down 7%. Even down below 17% since the calender turned to May.

Folks still figuring early-mid June?

If you aren't holding Polanco and he's free, I know a lot of the Pirate OF is banged up right now. Might be worth a speculative add

i think soler gets a look this year. rumours of chris bethancourt to atlanta too. jesus monterò heading to ny.

Any word on Singleton?

They said he needed a AAA track record, and he's now got 450 PA's there with 160 this season at a K% that's down 7%. Even down below 17% since the calender turned to May.

Folks still figuring early-mid June?
Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow concedes Singleton is becoming a complete player, and thus a promotion to Houston could be forthcoming soon, Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle reports.

Spin:
"He's making up for (lost time) quickly, and he's doing well," Luhnow said of Singleton. "If that continues to happen, it could be any time." Singleton followed up Luhnow's comments with a two-hit effort for Triple-A Oklahoma City Monday night, which included his 12th home run of the season. The 22-year-old first baseman has posted an impressive 1.051 OPS in 37 games with the RedHawks, and he leads the Pacific Coast League with 34 RBI. Singleton's promotion to the majors could certainly give the Astros' struggling offense a shot in the arm.

I need him and Polanco up soon. Injuries are piling up.

Gausman was called up today. Got rocked on 3 days rest but he's a post hype guy perhaps. Still a prospect technically though.
He didn't get rocked, here is the Tigers 4th inning:

Walk

Force out

Walk

Double Steal

RBI single

Suicide squeeze with the runner being safe at first

Sacrifice fly

Three runs

Also not sure how a top 20 prospect who just turned 23 is a post-hype prospect. He has six major league starts.

Gausman was called up today. Got rocked on 3 days rest but he's a post hype guy perhaps. Still a prospect technically though.
He didn't get rocked, here is the Tigers 4th inning:

Walk

Force out

Walk

Double Steal

RBI single

Sacrifice fly

Three runs

Also not sure how a top 20 prospect who just turned 23 is a post-hype prospect. He has six major league starts.
Buy low

He didn't get rocked, here is the Tigers 4th inning:Walk

Force out

Walk

Double Steal

RBI single

Sacrifice fly

Three runs

:shrug: I took a peek at the box score and saw an 11.20 era. I'm tied up and didn't see a pitch. Post hype in the sense that he was a very hot pickup upon his debut last year and I've seen him flying under the radar prior to today. Im Mobile so I can't really check this but I'd bet syndergaard is more owned them him. Just a guess I could be way off base

Force out

Walk

Double Steal

RBI single

Sacrifice fly

Three runs

:shrug: I took a peek at the box score and saw an 11.20 era. I'm tied up and didn't see a pitch.Post hype in the sense that he was a very hot pickup upon his debut last year and I've seen him flying under the radar prior to today. Im Mobile so I can't really check this but I'd bet syndergaard is more owned them him. Just a guess I could be way off base
They are both 40% owned at CBS, Gausman is 12% at Yahoo and Syndergaard 8%. Those two are generally in the same area as far as prospect rankings.

Doctor Detroit said:
Smack Tripper said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Smack Tripper said:

Force out

Walk

Double Steal

RBI single

Sacrifice fly

Three runs

:shrug: I took a peek at the box score and saw an 11.20 era. I'm tied up and didn't see a pitch.Post hype in the sense that he was a very hot pickup upon his debut last year and I've seen him flying under the radar prior to today. Im Mobile so I can't really check this but I'd bet syndergaard is more owned them him. Just a guess I could be way off base
They are both 40% owned at CBS, Gausman is 12% at Yahoo and Syndergaard 8%. Those two are generally in the same area as far as prospect rankings.
But gausman did jump 9 or 10 percent yesterday. I expect syndergaard would also jump accordingly.

People I think respond better to the myth of a prospect and get spooked by even a small sample of failure. I'm sitting on Tavares and I have a guy offering me Kendrick. I don't think that's a bad haul but I'm also seduced because I haven't pulled the trigger.

Is post hype the wrong term? Then so be it, I see this thread as a way for is to share psa's.

Users who are viewing this thread