What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** Prospects and Mid-Season Callup Thread (1 Viewer)

Duda Dealt, dust off your Dom Smith shares. He should be getting the call to the bigs any day now.

Already scooped by @rodg12 in one league <_<
Saw the writing on the wall and got ahead of it, a bit!  Actually got him in NewZA and Uber.  We'll see if it pays off.  Uber has been a bit of a disaster.  Trout and Kershaw both going down now.  Man I wish I would have gone :homer: and picked Judge instead of Harvey in the draft like my heart said to.  That was a dumb, dumb move there.

I never got the Dom Smith love
I don't think there's an overwhelming amount of love for him. I mean, he was still available until yesterday in Pie. But at this point in the season, there's more potential upside to him than the likes of Jon Jay or Matt Chapman.

I don't think there's an overwhelming amount of love for him. I mean, he was still available until yesterday in Pie. But at this point in the season, there's more potential upside to him than the likes of Jon Jay or Matt Chapman.
I debated between him and Albies.  I've consistently made the wrong choice all year, so I'm sure Ozzie is going to stay down until September now.

MAC_32 said:
I debated between him and Albies.  I've consistently made the wrong choice all year, so I'm sure Ozzie is going to stay down until September now.
Same here, desperately seeking SBs

Anderson Espinoza heading for Tommy John surgery.  He hasn't pitched at all this season so he'll effectively lose his age 19 and 20 seasons.

I should have cut Dom when I had the chance. :unsure:

The Phillies might call up Rhys Hoskins this week. I guess they were waiting all this time to see if they still had a shot at the wildcard. :mellow:  

The Phillies might call up Rhys Hoskins this week. I guess they were waiting all this time to see if they still had a shot at the wildcard. :mellow:  
Hoskin's starting in LF tonight for the Iron Pigs. I assume this is because of the Altherr injury, but seems ridiculous that they're actually worried about Tommy Josephs playing time.  :no:

They've been trying to "showcase" Joseph to trade him for something, but at some point they will just bite the bullet on it and call up Hoskins.

Hoskins getting the call, apparently they are willing to learn him up on LF on the fly. This is what happens when you rush a guy up and he has no chance to learn a new position. 

Hoskins isn't even a good defensive 1B. He'll almost certainly be the worst outfielder in the league.

I assume the Phillies don't care since their games don't matter anyway and it's just a way to get his bat in the lineup. Just have to hope he doesn't hurt himself out there.

Hoskins isn't even a good defensive 1B. He'll almost certainly be the worst outfielder in the league.

I assume the Phillies don't care since their games don't matter anyway and it's just a way to get his bat in the lineup. Just have to hope he doesn't hurt himself out there.
Can't say I understand the Phillies shtick. If Joseph was still catching his numbers have value. But 25 homer sub 800 OPS first baseman   are a dime a dozen. Joseph is still young but we've seen enough to know what he is: a adequate power source who would be a nice piece if he was a catcher. 

This reminds me of what the Rangers did with Gallo last year by running Mitch Moreland out there 147 games.  We know what Mitch Moreland is, don't overthink it. 

If Hoskins comes up and hits, put him at 1B. Tell Joseph he needs to learn how to catch again, or play LF. 

Tell Joseph he needs to learn how to catch again, or play LF. 
Joseph had to give up catching (and almost his career) due to chronic concussions, and he would be even more horrendous than Hoskins in the OF. I assume once Altherr comes back, ToJo will be relegated to the bench once and for all.

At least JP Crawford has righted the ship in AAA.  He has an OPS over 1.0 since the beginning of July.

The Phillies will go into the off-season with four viable MI options in Crawford, Kingery, Hernandez and Galvis (don't laugh, he's on pace to approach 2 WAR this season).  They should be able to deal one or two for something, although Freddy's approaching free agency will hurt his value.

At least JP Crawford has righted the ship in AAA.  He has an OPS over 1.0 since the beginning of July.

The Phillies will go into the off-season with four viable MI options in Crawford, Kingery, Hernandez and Galvis (don't laugh, he's on pace to approach 2 WAR this season).  They should be able to deal one or two for something, although Freddy's approaching free agency will hurt his value.
Yeah, they're also going to run into roster issues at some point with all these "prospects". Id prefer they didnt sell low on JP. Gotta see what you have at this point. Id like to see them package up some combo of Ceasar/Galvis/Kingery/Wiliams/Altherr/Hoskins/Alfaro for a decent SP. 

I've been monitoring Jorge Alfaro for a couple years, his star fallen quiet a ways. He was a top C prospect there for a while. He's up now but not much fanfare. 

I've been monitoring Jorge Alfaro for a couple years, his star fallen quiet a ways. He was a top C prospect there for a while. He's up now but not much fanfare. 
Power is real but that 32.3% K rate in AAA this season is gross. Seems to destined to be one of those fringe starting fantasy catchers that hits 15-20 HRs with a sub-300 OBP.

Orioles rule 5 draft pick Anthony Santander gets activated after being injured all year.  A lost age 22 year is never good but it allowed Baltimore to keep him without burning a 25 man roster spot for most of the year.  Rosters expand in less than two weeks.

His only action above A ball was during his recent rehab stint but is coming off a strong 2016 with power and without excessive strikeouts.

With Mike Leake imploding, Jack Flaherty could get the call for the Cardinals as soon as this weekend.

Flaherty is 21 and has been pretty consistently good in the minors. He's regarded as more of a 2 or 3 starter than an ace, but if there's such a thing as a high-floor pitching prospect it would be him.

I wouldn't run to the wire in redrafts but he's worth keeping an eye on.

With Mike Leake imploding, Jack Flaherty could get the call for the Cardinals as soon as this weekend.

Flaherty is 21 and has been pretty consistently good in the minors. He's regarded as more of a 2 or 3 starter than an ace, but if there's such a thing as a high-floor pitching prospect it would be him.

I wouldn't run to the wire in redrafts but he's worth keeping an eye on.
Funny you should mention him :rolleyes:

I couldn't decide who to cut for him :kicksrock:
Flaherty is approaching his innings limit this year and the Redbirds need more help in the bullpen than the rotation right now.  I don't think he has much value this year but he could be a good stash if he wins a job in spring training.

Lynn is a FA and Reyes may not be ready but St. Louis always seems to have plenty of arms.

Can't say I understand the Phillies shtick. If Joseph was still catching his numbers have value. But 25 homer sub 800 OPS first baseman   are a dime a dozen. Joseph is still young but we've seen enough to know what he is: a adequate power source who would be a nice piece if he was a catcher. 

This reminds me of what the Rangers did with Gallo last year by running Mitch Moreland out there 147 games.  We know what Mitch Moreland is, don't overthink it. 

If Hoskins comes up and hits, put him at 1B. Tell Joseph he needs to learn how to catch again, or play LF. 
I should be the Phillies GM, I can't believe they made it this hard.  Guy is killing it so far.  :thumbup:

At the Bowie/Trenton game. Orioles have some good prospects here like Hays, Mullens, and Mountcastle. Yankees have Solak here, but Acevedo isn't pitching and most of their other top guys are at different levels. Dante Bichette Jr is on the team though! He stinks! 

Doctor Detroit said:
At the Bowie/Trenton game. Orioles have some good prospects here like Hays, Mullens, and Mountcastle. Yankees have Solak here, but Acevedo isn't pitching and most of their other top guys are at different levels. Dante Bichette Jr is on the team though! He stinks! 
I grabbed Hays last month.  How did he look?   What other player would you compare him to?

I grabbed Hays last month.  How did he look?   What other player would you compare him to?
I thought he was the best position player in the game.  He hit the ball hard every time he was up, and he made two nice plays in RF and hustled on several foul balls down the RF line.  Good baseball body, seemed to have the right approach and intensity, and looked like a guy that will certainly be a big leaguer in the near future. 

Trenton pitching tonight was pretty great though, some guy not listed among the Yankees top 30 and two relievers shut down a really good Bowie offense. 

Doctor Detroit said:
Yanks have shut Acevedo down for the year to limit his innings.

How'd Solak look?

The mustachioed Daniel Mengden has two straight scoreless starts for the Oaklands. 

The Ks haven't been there but neither have the BBs.  He has a bit of funk to his delivery that the league may figure out by April but he throws pretty hard with a good approach for a rookie.

Users who are viewing this thread