What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** Prospects and Mid-Season Callup Thread (2 Viewers)

Roster management involving prospects is an interesting dimension to dynasty and keeper formats.  There are more prospects than stars with a new crop of the former arriving every year.  There's a finite number of roster slots you can commit to minor leaguers, especially if you're trying to contend. 

It's only natural to develop some attachment to young players you've watched since they were teenagers which makes it hard sometimes to dump them.  The net result is tying up space on guys who won't contribute later.  My current bete noire is Robert Stephenson  I first considered dropping him in early 2014 when he was struggling in AA but I couldn't quit him.  Now he's on the brink of the big leagues so I have to see what happens.  I think he'll probably end up in the bullpen eventually but hope springs eternal  :rolleyes:
Stephenson made the opening day roster and takes the hill on Thursday.  I'm pessimistic about his chances because of his continuing struggles with command.  He walked 7 in 10 1/3 IP this spring.

Stephenson made the opening day roster and takes the hill on Thursday.  I'm pessimistic about his chances because of his continuing struggles with command.  He walked 7 in 10 1/3 IP this spring.
I think he'll at least be good enough to hold a rotation spot, but he has the Bauer problem.  His K's come on balls. I'm not sure he can fix the walk problem without decimating the Krate from less chasing. It might be an either or.   I think he's capable of trading high fastballs out of the zone for more strikes, but at what cost?  Definitely his Krate would make him less exciting and his fastball might be straight enough that he gets hard in a Nate Eovaldi kind of way.  Or they could just take their lumps as is and hope his wipeout pitches are good enough to eventually become like a Liriano.  

Backup plan is turn him completely loose and hope for a Trevor Rosenthal type closer.  

Dropped Benintendi,

Prospect list currently in 12 team 30 player roster points league, dynasty league

Not yet in the major's that I'm trying to stash all year.

Arcia, Mazara, Moncada, Brendon Rodgers, Swanson, Reyes, Snell, De Leon

Likely dropping De Leon next.

Available-

Benintendi, Devers, Zimmer,  T. Anderson, N. Williams, Meadows, R. Stephenson -  List anyone you like that might be available.

It's a tough situation to manage.

I know there is a ton of discussion in your thread, but it's probably better suited here now.  If I'm following you, I understand you want to win now, and at the same time, integrate your prospects into your core to have a monster team in a couple years.  There can be a balance to do this, but tough to manage like you said, and you're finding out now where the comfort level is.  

If you just want to collect the very best prospects, regardless of position or situation, that's fine...but I think you can take it a step further.  Think about it, why do you need to hoard 3 SS right now?  Very few, or nobody, in your league are taking the approach you are taking.  One of them can be dropped IMO.  I'd also cut Reyes over DeLeon and Snell for the almost 100% fact nobody in your league is going to pick him up (based on how your league drafted) and we are gaining zero information on him for a few months.  If he did get picked up, it's ok as SP prospects come and go.  We should find out alot about DeLeon and Snell this year though.  

As far as the SS go, IMO Rodgers is the lock to keep around as he has the most fantasy upside.  The other two have their merits to stick around, but I'd probably lean towards Arcia as we should see him this year, but Swanson probably gets snagged because of his name.  Tough call.

So, this would be my order of cuts if they ever need to be made:  Reyes, Swanson, Arcia.  But I could easily be convinced to flip the SS.  I would not cut Mazara, Moncada, Snell, DeLeon, or Rodgers unless my season depended on it.

I know there is a ton of discussion in your thread, but it's probably better suited here now.  If I'm following you, I understand you want to win now, and at the same time, integrate your prospects into your core to have a monster team in a couple years.  There can be a balance to do this, but tough to manage like you said, and you're finding out now where the comfort level is.  

If you just want to collect the very best prospects, regardless of position or situation, that's fine...but I think you can take it a step further.  Think about it, why do you need to hoard 3 SS right now?  Very few, or nobody, in your league are taking the approach you are taking.  One of them can be dropped IMO.  I'd also cut Reyes over DeLeon and Snell for the almost 100% fact nobody in your league is going to pick him up (based on how your league drafted) and we are gaining zero information on him for a few months.  If he did get picked up, it's ok as SP prospects come and go.  We should find out alot about DeLeon and Snell this year though.  

As far as the SS go, IMO Rodgers is the lock to keep around as he has the most fantasy upside.  The other two have their merits to stick around, but I'd probably lean towards Arcia as we should see him this year, but Swanson probably gets snagged because of his name.  Tough call.

So, this would be my order of cuts if they ever need to be made:  Reyes, Swanson, Arcia.  But I could easily be convinced to flip the SS.  I would not cut Mazara, Moncada, Snell, DeLeon, or Rodgers unless my season depended on it.
Then your order to pick back up - I'm never really concerned with position.  Pitchers generally score higher but it's BPA for me. 

Reyes, Benintendi, Devers, Zimmer,  T. Anderson, N. Williams, Meadows,

Slowly more prospects are being picked up post draft but all those above are still available.   Brinson got scooped up.

I'll keep this to prospect talk only. 

The Cardinals assigned Alex Reyes to AAA today, and apparently he was able to serve 11 games of his marijuana suspension in the Arizona Fall League, so he only has 39 left.

So there's a better chance than originally thought that he'll be pitching in MLB this season. His control will likely determine how quickly he gets there - his stuff is awesome but he needs to cut down the walks.

The Cardinals assigned Alex Reyes to AAA today, and apparently he was able to serve 11 games of his marijuana suspension in the Arizona Fall League, so he only has 39 left.

So there's a better chance than originally thought that he'll be pitching in MLB this season. His control will likely determine how quickly he gets there - his stuff is awesome but he needs to cut down the walks.
Better chance than DeLeon and Snell?  I'm thinking no, but maybe all 3 will.

Snell definitely has the best chance of those 3. DeLeon maybe slightly more likely than Reyes, but their situations look pretty similar now.

ESPN says De Leon is hurt with an ankle right now,  will they put him on DL? or any prospects on DL?  or do they not bother?

There is a MiLB disabled list but I don't think any of the fantasy websites allow stashing prospects that way.

Nomar Mazara and Mallex Smith both with a chance to get called up with the Choo and Inciarte injuries. Mazara more likely, as he was pulled from his AAA game.

@Evan_P_Grant: Chirinos will be out 10-12 weeks; Choo 4-6 with Grade 2 calf strain. No moves yet, but Chirinos will go on 60.....

not official yet, but with that timetable for Choo and Mazara being pulled last night have to think he's on his way.

edit: official

Last edited by a moderator:
Nomar Mazara and Mallex Smith both with a chance to get called up with the Choo and Inciarte injuries. Mazara more likely, as he was pulled from his AAA game.
@drewsilv: Braves calling up Mallex Smith to replace Ender Inciarte. 22-year-old had 56 stolen bases last season between AA and AAA. 88 steals in 2014.

go get him...

Should I grab Mallex Smith in a dynasty POINTS league?  SB's worth 2 points.

I'd have to drop - De Leon, Reyes, Snell, Arcia, Swanson, Rodgers, Moncada? and I'm not sure he's a better prospect than those?

He's nowhere near the prospect that any of those guys are, but he is playing right now.  This is one of those cases in which I would drop the prospect I think I can get back on waivers in a couple-few weeks and test drive Mallex in the meantime.  

Should I grab Mallex Smith in a dynasty POINTS league?  SB's worth 2 points.

I'd have to drop - De Leon, Reyes, Snell, Arcia, Swanson, Rodgers, Moncada? and I'm not sure he's a better prospect than those?
I wouldn't. I'm not very bullish on Mallex though, I don't think he will stick. 

I probably wouldn't go after Mallex in a points league. I think you said Dee Gordon had 500 points last year in your league, while some of the top hitters were over 600. And Dee Gordon was really good last year, about as good as you can hope a no-power speedster to be. Gordon's 2015 is probably Mallex's ceiling, and his floor is back to the minors shortly.

Do I want any of the below to stash in a points league over the following:  Moncada, Arcia, Swanson, B. Rodgers, Reyes, Snell, De Leon  (Also have Buxton, Mazara and Story who made the club already this year)

Nick Williams

Mark Appeal

Dalton Pompey

Hunter Renfroe

Sean Manaea

Josh Bell

Gary Sanchez

Andrew Beinentendi

Henry Owens

Sam Travis

Phillips just got injured. Pereza would be a source of steals and likely BA from middle infield.  

Not especially. Gary Sanchez would probably have the best chance to produce right away if given an opportunity, but the Yankees have McCann. A trade or McCann injury would make him worth a look.
It's a pretty bad time for hitting catcher prospects.  The only other guys that seem close are Tom Murphy who is only interesting because of Coors Field but is currently injured and Peter O'Brien if he still has C eligibility and the Diamondbacks use him as an interleague DH.

spot start or up for good?
Tough to say.  The Oaklands have Jesse Hahn at AAA and Henderson Alvarez should be back in 4-6 weeks.  If Manaea performs well on Friday, he could position himself to stay up because the back end of the rotation has been pretty bad. 

Two additional caveats are innings limits and service time.  He pitched about 120 IP last season and probably won't be pushed beyond 140-150.  Oakland has also been known to manage Super Two eligibility carefully.

I wonder if the Berrios and Manaea call-ups signal a philosophical change toward the timetable for young stud pitching prospects.  The injury nexus is a bigger concern for young arms than service time consideration.  You may as well promote the top talent and get some major league production from them before they get hurt.

Glasnow's time has to be coming soon, right? Locke and Niese royally suck right now. That race for the WC spots with STL/NYM/SFG is about to be in full swing. PIT can't go into that battle rolling out Locke and Niese 40% of the time.

Seems like another couple of starts with Glasnow using the change-up more and keeping the BB's in check should be about all we're waiting for. 

Yes, I'd be in on Glasnow if he's available. 

Ks and Ws upside is there besides the good ERA. 
I'm hopping on the Jameson Taillon bandwagon as well. His numbers right now are pretty ridiculous considering he has DNP's in 2014 and 2015. 23/2 K/BB, WHIP under 1 in 4 starts (23 IP).

My only concern with Taillon in redraft is if I just have to wait too long. Hate holding pitchers for months. 

Braves promoted Ozzie Albies to AAA and Dansby Swanson to AA. Expectation is they could both be in the majors later this season.

When they get to MLB, one will play SS and the other will move to 2B, but they haven't decided which yet.

I'm not sure how exciting they are in redraft leagues as rookies in a historically bad lineup, but their long-term outlook is pretty good.

we gettin close to AJ Reed time?
I'd have to think so, Astros throwing Valbuena and Gattis out there to KKKKKKKKKKKKKK.  Tyler White is slumping but he's also got 165 games at 3B in the minors, so there is some mix and match possibility there.  They could just DFA Marwin Gonzalez, or send Valbuena to Japan.  Seems only a matter of time before those two things happen anyway. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread