What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Eric Decker - Retired (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Fool's gold? The production says yes, but is Eric Decker really worth $10 million per year?

Rotoworld:

Free agent Eric Decker indicated that he and the Broncos aren't in the same ballpark money-wise, and he intends to "do what is best for my family."

"If we can get on the same page, I will welcome a call from the Broncos, but I need to do what is best for my family," Decker said. "It's not all about the money for me. It's about going to work everyday and having fun and enjoying my job." Money may not ultimately be the deciding factor, but it's going to play a big part. There's been chatter that Decker could command upwards of $10 million annually on the open market. The Broncos aren't going to pay that. Decker is going to be a rich man come mid-March. He'll have a hot market.

Source: Sirius XM NFL Radio
Where do we see him landing? What other situations might be ideal for him? Is he a # 2 WR for NFL purposes or is he capable of taking on the # 1 WR role for a team?

Last edited by a moderator:
His production will plumet without Manning. I think most agree with that statement. I can see a desperate team like Oak or NYJ paying him alot with a nice signing bonus. Or a team looking for a #2/1B like Car or Cle. Ind maybe could reach to help out Luck.

His production will plumet without Manning. I think most agree with that statement. I can see a desperate team like Oak or NYJ paying him alot with a nice signing bonus. Or a team looking for a #2/1B like Car or Cle. Ind maybe could reach to help out Luck.
Maybe, but I can't buy that just yet. Prior to Manning, his 2011 fantasy season was pretty decent...44 /612 /8 tds.....Who was Denver's QB that year...? I'll wait a bit longer and see where he lands before I predict what will happen to his production post Manning.

Maybe, but I can't buy that just yet. Prior to Manning, his 2011 fantasy season was pretty decent...44 /612 /8 tds.....Who was Denver's QB that year...? I'll wait a bit longer and see where he lands before I predict what will happen to his production post Manning.
Faust asked what situations could he land in. Obviously Decker owners hope he stays put. He is a different WR with a "real" QB. 5.5 rec. for 84.1 yards, 0.7 TDs per game = Decker 2013 with Peyton

5.3 rec. for 66.5 yards, 0.8 TDs per game = Decker 2012 with Peyton

2.8 rec. for 38.2 yards, 0.5 TDs per game = Decker 2011 with Orton + Tebow

I don't Denver will pay him like a #1 receiver, but some team might. If he goes somewhere like Tenn with Locker ehhh..

I have seen a few times where speculation is that he could land with the Patriots, but does that seem likely, especially with Decker seeking a contract in the $10 million per season range?

the whole WR free agency this yr is fools gold IMO. Decker is a good WR2, but not a #1. Maybe Wash will open up that checkbook.

I have seen a few times where speculation is that he could land with the Patriots, but does that seem likely, especially with Decker seeking a contract in the $10 million per season range?
Not happening unless they really see the window closing for Brady. It's business as usual with the Pats. They have Dobson and Boyce already. They have to decide between Amendola and Eldeman maybe. They have interesting guys like TJ Moe and Sam McGuffie stashed. They will go the cheap rout through the draft and vets like Nicks, Britt or Maclin if anything. No way they outbid other teams for Decker.

Not happening unless they really see the window closing for Brady. It's business as usual with the Pats. They have Dobson and Boyce already. They have to decide between Amendola and Eldeman maybe. They have interesting guys like TJ Moe and Sam McGuffie stashed. They will go the cheap rout through the draft and vets like Nicks, Britt or Maclin if anything. No way they outbid other teams for Decker.
That's what I was thinking out loud, that their frugal ways in free agency would preclude them from making such a move, but I remembered stumbling across an article that suggested that they will see the window with Brady closing soon, and that they would like the opportunity to pay the Broncos back for signing Welker.

Eric Decker to Raiders? Predicting free agents' landing spots

Excerpt:

Eric Decker, WR, Denver BroncosPotential suitors: Oakland Raiders, Minnesota Vikings, Washington Redskins

The Broncos will not have enough cap space to make any kind of play for Decker, who will command close to $10 million per season.

Oakland, which should have more than $60 million to play with, can certainly afford Decker's services. Not to mention, getting a player coming off an 87-catch, 1,288-yard effort who could face his former team twice a season makes sense. Of course, the question remains: Can he can be a No. 1 receiver sans Peyton Manning?

The Redskins currently have their WR1 in Pierre Garcon; would they pay $10 million for a guy who thinks he's a No. 1 and fits in as a No. 2? The club can afford Decker, however. So can the Vikings, who don't really have a top guy despite signing Greg Jennings to a $45 million deal last offseason. Decker was a Minnesota Golden Gopher, but do the Minnesota Vikings want to roll the dice in free agency again? Interesting call. On that note, the Patriots have been mentioned often as a landing spot, but methinks they won't have -- or won't want to spend -- the financial resources it would take to land Decker.

NE seems like they'll have some cap struggles and adding Decker when they can get other guys like Maclin for a lot less seems likelier. I don't think Decker's numbers will plummet without Manning. He's a hell of a receiver and I think he'll get at least 10 mil a year. Unless a team like CLE or OAK needs to get to the cap floor, I don't see him going either of those locations.

I actually think NYJ makes the most sense. They have a fair amount of cap room right now (22mil) and will get bunch more in cutting Sanchez and Holmes (16mil). They are desperate at WR and finished a respectable 8-8 despite finishing 31st in passing yards. CAR would probably be an ideal landing spot for him given team need, cap room, and contention, but if Hardy gets the franchise tag, there goes 12mil of CAR's 22mil in cap room.

As for NE, they have about 5mil in room and are going to have to renegotiate with Wilfork (11.6mil cap figure vs. 3.6mil in dead money) to address other team needs. Seems likelier they go after someone like Maclin if they even address WR at all. From what I've seen, cutting Amendola this year will be a net negative on cap implications, so he'll be with NE in 2014. With Talib a FA and possibly getting a franchise tag, it just doesn't seem like they'll get their cap situated in a way that allows them to seriously pursue Decker while addressing other areas.

Rotoworld:

ESPN New York expects free agent Eric Decker to command "No. 1" receiver-type money, or "at least" $9 million per year.

It's a pretty optimistic projection in a year where the incoming collegiate receiver group is considered incredibly deep. We'll say this for Decker: Greg Jennings landed a deal worth $9 million annually from the Vikings last offseason, and Decker is worth more than him. Still, if Decker is going to command that kind of money, receiver-needy teams would be savvy to exhaust all possible alternatives. He's a strong No. 2 wideout in the NFL, but does not tilt coverage.

Feb 10 - 2:32 PM

Source: ESPN New York
The Boston Herald is the second media outlet this week to project free agent Eric Decker's forthcoming contract to be in the $10 million-per-year range.

Early last week, ESPN New York set the bar at "at least" $9 million a year. "Eric Decker might land $10 million per season," writes Herald reporter Jeff Howe. Howe believes Hakeem Nicks may only command $3 million to $4 million annually. It seems Howe is guessing, but informed guesses are notable. All signs point to Decker being paid like a true No. 1 wideout this offseason.

Feb 16 - 12:57 PM

Source: Boston Herald

Wasn't the discussion about how much his stock would sink because of Welker? Some could argue he had a better season. Now it will sink without Manning, haters are going to hate.

Wasn't the discussion about how much his stock would sink because of Welker? Some could argue he had a better season. Now it will sink without Manning, haters are going to hate.
This is like saying "you go boy" in the 90's. Talk like a man.

You are right - people thought his stats would suffer because of Welker. They went up. Decker has been underrated since the day he left Minnesota. He's 6'3" & runs decent routes. The extent of his production is directly tied to where he ends up.

I am hoping they get creating and sign Manning to like a 7 year deal with bonuses spread out, and keep their guys together to make a run. Seems like a smal price to pay to eat a few million in cap after Manning is gone.

But yes, I defnitely think if he leaves his production will suffer

Rotoworld:

The Chargers are not expected to have enough cap space to pursue free agent Eric Decker.

In theory, Decker would be a good fit in San Diego because head coach Mike McCoy was Denver's offensive coordinator from 2009-12, and the Chargers lack talent behind Keenan Allen. But according to Overthecap.com, they're already $836,170 over the salary cap -- fourth-worst in the league. Decker is expected to command at least $8 million per season when he hits the open market in March.

Related: Chargers

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego

Decker's sophomore season, he had 20 catches for 270 yards and 4 TDs in his first four games with Orton. Tebow took over, and Decker ended up with 24 for 332 yards and 4 TDs in his final five games. It's hard to say that he would have continued on his pace = for 80 catches, 1080 yards and 16 TDs with a full season of Orton = but he had 85/1064/13 in his first full season with Manning and 87/1288/11 this year. Those are all comparable numbers for a young receiver.

I acquired him in dynasty this year because I think that he has long term stud potential. Being third or fourth fiddle in the Broncos offense may have hurt him almost as much as playing with Manning helped him. If he ends up in a great situation next year, I think he's great huge trade value if you want to flip him, and if he ends up in a plus situation, I think he can be a top 15 WR for a long time. He's got 32 TDs in three years, he's got size, and he's been part of an offense that coordinators everywhere are trying to copy. Strong buy.

This is like saying "you go boy" in the 90's. Talk like a man.
Or a worse one is "Cool story bro".

I am hoping they get creating and sign Manning to like a 7 year deal with bonuses spread out, and keep their guys together to make a run. Seems like a smal price to pay to eat a few million in cap after Manning is gone.

If he stays his production will suffer as well. Manning isn't throwing for 50+ TDs again next season.

they would like the opportunity to pay the Broncos back for signing Welker.
That may make for an interesting hook in a writer's speculative piece, but it would be a poor business model for a franchise to follow.
If Decker's going to get ten million, then it would be silly to spend ten million just to keep him from the broncos. But it's not a bad idea for the Patriots to try to drive his price up, when there are division and conference rivals bidding for his services.

If he stays his production will suffer as well. Manning isn't throwing for 50+ TDs again next season.
Did it suffer the year before when Manning didn't throw 55 TDS? Bet you were on to say his stats would suffer because of Welker. How did that work out?

Did it suffer the year before when Manning didn't throw 55 TDS? Bet you were on to say his stats would suffer because of Welker. How did that work out?
I didn't say a negative word about Decker. I'm not a hater that's going to hate.

Do you think Manning will set records again next season? Is it possible that Decker's stats didn't suffer despite the addition of Welker and the breakout of Julius Thomas because Manning set records?

And, yes, Manning setting records had plenty to do with the talent around him, including Decker - but those seasons don't come around very often.

Decker can have a fine season in Denver or elsewhere but odds are his production is going to fall a bit in or out of Denver. That's all.

Dr. Octopus said:
False Start said:
Dr. Octopus said:

I didn't say a negative word about Decker. I'm not a hater that's going to hate.

Do you think Manning will set records again next season? Is it possible that Decker's stats didn't suffer despite the addition of Welker and the breakout of Julius Thomas because Manning set records?

And, yes, Manning setting records had plenty to do with the talent around him, including Decker - but those seasons don't come around very often.

Decker can have a fine season in Denver or elsewhere but odds are his production is going to fall a bit in or out of Denver. That's all.
:lmao:

Decker's production will suffer if he stays......... :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Manning doesn't need to set records for Decker to have another season like he just did.

Decker's production will suffer if he stays......... :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Manning doesn't need to set records for Decker to have another season like he just did.
With Decker, Thomas, Thomas and Welker (and spare parts) all vying for targets if Manning has a normal season for him, say 4.800 yards with 36 TDs - how do you see that production split up?

I'm not saying he'd be bad if he stays in Denver but people expecting the Denver offense to stay at a 2013 level probably need to reassess a but.

Rotoworld:

Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 Denver reports the Colts "have interest" in free agent Eric Decker.
The Colts have a plethora of young wide receiver and tight end talent, but paying big bucks to Decker would be a move typical of increasingly meddlesome owner Jim Irsay, who spent heartily in 2013 free agency before pressuring GM Ryan Grigson into dealing for Trent Richardson in-season. Easily this year's top free agent wideout, Decker is going to be paid like a No. 1A receiver on the open market. He'd be a great match out wide for Andrew Luck, but upgrading Luck's protection would probably be a better approach for the Colts. Irsay prefers splashy moves.

Related: Colts

Source: Vic Lombardi on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 Denver reports the Colts "have interest" in free agent Eric Decker.
The Colts have a plethora of young wide receiver and tight end talent, but paying big bucks to Decker would be a move typical of increasingly meddlesome owner Jim Irsay, who spent heartily in 2013 free agency before pressuring GM Ryan Grigson into dealing for Trent Richardson in-season. Easily this year's top free agent wideout, Decker is going to be paid like a No. 1A receiver on the open market. He'd be a great match out wide for Andrew Luck, but upgrading Luck's protection would probably be a better approach for the Colts. Irsay prefers splashy moves.

Related: Colts

Source: Vic Lombardi on Twitter
Luck would be come even more elite, if possible, if this happened.

With Decker, Thomas, Thomas and Welker (and spare parts) all vying for targets if Manning has a normal season for him, say 4.800 yards with 36 TDs - how do you see that production split up?

I'm not saying he'd be bad if he stays in Denver but people expecting the Denver offense to stay at a 2013 level probably need to reassess a but.
They lose decker but get back clady. Of course he won't repeat 55 tds, but manning could go on a Brees like run of 5000/40.

With Thomas, Welker, and OJT a 2nd/3rd rd WR in this deep draft class should be able to sufficiently replace Decker at a fraction of the cost.

Rotoworld:

The Denver Post expects free agent Eric Decker to command $8-$9 million annually.
It's a very realistic number. The Post cites the annual average salaries of Dwayne Bowe ($11.2M), Greg Jennings ($9M) and Mike Williams ($7.2M), and the NFL's salary cap is increasing by $10 million. So even if Decker's 172/2352/24 line over the last two seasons has been inflated by Peyton Manning, he's still going to get paid. The Broncos are not expected to pony up the cash as they look to 2015, when Demaryius Thomas and Julius Thomas need to get locked up.

Source: Denver Post

With Thomas, Welker, and OJT a 2nd/3rd rd WR in this deep draft class should be able to sufficiently replace Decker at a fraction of the cost.
Agreed. In fact, I would not be surprised if they pull the trigger in round #1. Allen Robinson would fit nicely. Or Beckham. So many options. Or maybe the take a Welker replacement early like Cooks and later take a player like Moncreif.

Eric Decker: Demaryius Thomas is on a 'different level'By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Eric Decker is Around The League's top-ranked wide receiver in free agency, but even he acknowledges he was never the best of Peyton Manning's options on the Denver Broncos.

"I think Demaryius Thomas is on a complete different level with his talent," Decker said Monday, via The Denver Post. "I think he's a top five-caliber receiver in this league. How it falls off from there, where you look at a receiver, I just try to be versatile and play all the positions. People might want to label me, but I don't want to put a label on myself."

Observers and analysts have been sticking labels on Decker since NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported last month that the Broncos and general manager John Elway view him as a No. 2 receiver who will likely be paid as a legitimate No. 1.

"I respect (Elway's) decision," Decker said. "Obviously, he has a philosophy in the way he does business. We'll see what it brings."

Decker clearly is ready to test his market value, telling The Post that he's "anxious about what lies ahead" and getting "ready for the next chapter in my life." He's expected to land a contract in the neighborhood of $8 million to $9 million annually.

Although Decker concedes that playing with Manning has provided more targets and opportunities, he's also comfortable with the knowledge that he has produced with Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow behind center.

Rivaling Roddy White and Alshon Jeffery as the best second fiddle in the league, Decker boasts more touchdowns (32) than any wide receiver save Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant over the past three seasons.

Decker might not be on Thomas' level, but he's a safe investment as long as he's not getting paid to beat double teams and tilt the field as a "go-to" No. 1 receiver.

The latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast" weighs in on Monday's franchise-tag surprises and unpacks all the 49ers drama out west.

Rotoworld:

Free agent Eric Decker is visiting the Jets Wednesday.
Decker made the flight from Denver to New Jersey on Tuesday night. The top wideout available is meeting with the team that has the biggest need, as the Jets currently feature Jeremy Kerley, David Nelson and Stephen Hill as their top-three receivers. Decker's stats have been inflated by Peyton Manning over the last two years and he may not be a "true" No. 1 wideout, but he'd be a massive upgrade for Geno Smith.

Related: Jets

Source: Kimberly Jones on Twitter

Obviously, there are far more desirable landing spots than the Jets for Deckers' fantasy outlook. However, if they do indeed get Vick that makes it a reasonably good landing spot. Decker would be force fed plenty of targets just because he would be far and away the best receiving option they have.

Archer said:
Why would any WR want to sign with the Jets? Seriously?
Money (contract plus endorsements)

As much crap as the team takes, they've been reasonably successful since 2000.

teams and situations get better

Now, you go. Why wouldn't a WR want to sign with the Jets?

Decker and his wife have a reality TV show. She is a recording artist. Yes I know it is country but I am sure they both would like the idea of living in place like New York. Decker would get the chance to prove he is a number 1 wr, get a hefty pay check and it starts making more sense why he could sign with a team like the Jets. Geno Smith over the last 4 weeks of the season was not that bad and showed huge improvement. That is a good sign for a rookie QB. I don't think this is that bad. He would be first in line for targets getting probably 130-150 range and although he would not match last years numbers, he could still very well be a top 15 wr.

Why the Geno hate? He was a rookie with maybe the worst receiving weapons in the NFL. Plenty of QBs have done less with more in their rookie years and gone on to be successful NFL starters. Not everyone can be Andrew Luck right out of the box.

Why the Geno hate? He was a rookie with maybe the worst receiving weapons in the NFL. Plenty of QBs have done less with more in their rookie years and gone on to be successful NFL starters. Not everyone can be Andrew Luck right out of the box.
I have been saying this for a while. There is still a lot to be determined about who Geno is or is not just yet.

Archer said:
Why would any WR want to sign with the Jets? Seriously?
Money (contract plus endorsements)

As much crap as the team takes, they've been reasonably successful since 2000.

teams and situations get better

Now, you go. Why wouldn't a WR want to sign with the Jets?
Geno Smith.
Coach known for conservative gameplan.

High cost of living / taxes
Morningweig actually got a little to pass happy at times last season - but I can understand that point.

Valid, but if he's making $9MM annually and his endorsement opportunities increase exponentially, does that really matter?

Users who are viewing this thread