What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1 (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
Thanks to Tanner, Bender, and some other previously fat dudes, gonna give this a shot starting today. I understand Homer is about a week in, and GM may be taking the plunge too. Anyone else in?
Who's coming with me? /JerryMaguire

What is the easiest way to figure out what to eat on this thing/tips for good and easy snacks that work? Anyone have a reference or site they like?

TIA

ETA: Weighed in at 239 on the dot this morning. My goal is 210; I would love to hit or even break 200, but one thing at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google Atkins induction. Just keep a myfitnesspal log. Adjust your goals to keep under 25 grams of carbs a day for 2 weeks. Stay under. You can eat all the meat and cheese you want. No carbs from anything except vegetables.

I've done it multiple times in the past, but never made it a lifestyle change. I am doing that this time, however.

I think a Paleo diet is a better lifestyle than Atkins by a good margin. Atkins isn't really sustainable in my experience.

I think a Paleo diet is a better lifestyle than Atkins by a good margin. Atkins isn't really sustainable in my experience.
I'm fine with making this a short-ish term thing, if only to get a jump start on weight loss and, more importantly, to kick the cravings. Everyone who does this says that after a couple weeks you really have no desire to eat the processed food or crap anymore, and you feel great. Seems worth a stab. Besides, who doesn't like bacon and eggs?

I'm fine with making this a short-ish term thing, if only to get a jump start on weight loss and, more importantly, to kick the cravings. Everyone who does this says that after a couple weeks you really have no desire to eat the processed food or crap anymore, and you feel great. Seems worth a stab. Besides, who doesn't like bacon and eggs?
The problem with Atkins is that you will crave bread something fierce 2-3 weeks into it and, when you fall off the wagon, you fall off it hard as you gain all your weight back eating the carbs you deprived yourself of.

What you need to do Otis is regulate your insulin. That's why you get those cravings. You are spiking your sugar (get energy) and then crashing (cravings onset). Just do everything you can to guy out sugar and grains. That's what causing insulin issues. You'll find after a while you can go a whole day without eating a thing (intermittent fasting).

The problem with Atkins is that you will crave bread something fierce 2-3 weeks into it and, when you fall off the wagon, you fall off it hard as you gain all your weight back eating the carbs you deprived yourself of.
Yes. That's why I don't think it's sustainable. You'll start with a roll at dinner and by the next breakfast you'll be eating Hostess Honey Buns. .

What was your breakfast today :popcorn:
So far, coffee. I figure I'll whip up some eggs and turkey bacon or something after I drop my toddler off at school. (My wife just had a baby, and so I figure since I'm going to be home all week with little to do other than run errands and hang with the family, it's a perfect time to try something like this -- just feels like it would be tougher to do during a regular work and commute routine).

So far, coffee. I figure I'll whip up some eggs and turkey bacon or something after I drop my toddler off at school. (My wife just had a baby, and so I figure since I'm going to be home all week with little to do other than run errands and hang with the family, it's a perfect time to try something like this -- just feels like it would be tougher to do during a regular work and commute routine).
My god why would you eat turkey bacon. Just get bacon.

What you need to do Otis is regulate your insulin. That's why you get those cravings. You are spiking your sugar (get energy) and then crashing (cravings onset). Just do everything you can to guy out sugar and grains. That's what causing insulin issues. You'll find after a while you can go a whole day without eating a thing (intermittent fasting).
I can see that. I went on a low cal super health kick when I was in my 20s, and lost a crapton of weight. I wasn't doing Atkins, but I think by virtue of what I started eating and cutting out, I ended up cutting out sugars and processed stuff. I remember the feeling a month or so in of it becoming very easy, because I simply didn't want that stuff anymore. I would see a piece of cake and it just didn't appeal to me. So I imagine my body was reacting in a similar way to how folks have described Atkins would work.

We'll see. Bender says once you get past 2 weeks, it's smooth sailing; you guys are suggesting those carb cravings will still be there after 2-3 weeks. Giving it a go....

My god why would you eat turkey bacon. Just get bacon.
Fair enough. Bacon it is.

Just enroll in cosjobs' Winebat.com fat camp sponsored by UHem.
This raises a question that I know was being discussed in the GMTAN. Booze on Atkins.

My wife claims that you can drink wine on Atkins. I don't know much about much, other than that doesn't wine have a crapload of sugar in it? Tanner et al. claim that any hard liquor is fine but steer clear of the rest. I can't see giving up alcohol cold turkey, but I can switch from beer and wine to a scotch or two per night if that will work.

Looks like this is a list of things you can eat in Phase 1: Link

Our low carb food list is an easy guide to your Phase 1 eating plan. Most fish, poultry and meat don't contain carbs so you can feel free to enjoy them, but use the low carb food list to be sure you're also getting your 12 to 15 grams of net carbs in vegetables as well.**

All fish including:
  • Flounder
  • Herring
  • Salmon
  • Sardines
  • Sole
  • Tuna
  • Trout
  • Cod
  • Halibut
All fowl including:
  • Cornish hen
  • Chicken
  • Duck
  • Goose
  • Pheasant
  • Quail
  • Turkey
  • Ostrich
All shellfish including:
  • Clams
  • Crabmeat
  • Mussels*
  • Oysters*
  • Shrimp
  • Squid
  • Lobster
*Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs so limit to about 4 ounces per day.

All meat including:
  • Bacon*
  • Beef
  • Ham*
  • Lamb
  • Pork
  • Veal
  • Venison
Some processed meat, bacon, and ham is cured with sugar, which will add to the carb count. Also steer clear of cold cuts and other meats with added nitrates.

Eggs are one of nature's most nutritious creations. That’s why eggs are a staple breakfast in the Atkins Nutritional Approach.

Feel free to get creative with your eggs: Add mushrooms and onions, or even green pepper. Top the dish off with feta cheese or add basil, oregano and other herbs.

Eggs in any style, including:
  • Deviled
  • Fried
  • Hard-boiled
  • Omelets
  • Poached
  • Scrambled
  • Soft-boiled
Keep in mind that cheese does contain carbs, about 1 gram per ounce. You may have about 3 to 4 ounces of cheese per day. An ounce is about the size of an individually wrapped slice of American cheese or a 1" cube.

Cheese including:

Type Serving Size Grams of net carbs Blue cheeses 2 T 0.4 Cheddar 1 oz 0.4 Cow, sheep and goat 1 oz 0.3 Cream cheese 2 T 0.8 Feta 1 oz 1.2 Gouda 1 oz 0.6 Mozzarella 1 oz 0.6 Parmesan 1 oz 0.9 Swiss 1 oz 1.0
Vegetables:

You should be eating approximately 12 to 15 grams of net carbs per day in the form of vegetables, which is equivalent to several cups depending on the actual carb content of the veggies you select.
1 cup is roughly the size of a baseball. Measure the following salad vegetables raw.

Vegetable Serving Size/Prep grams of net carbs Alfalfa sprouts ½ cup/raw 0.2 Arugula 1 cup/raw 0.4 Bok choy 1 cup/raw 0.4 Celery 1 stalk 0.8 Chicory greens ½ cup/raw 0.1 Chives 1 tablespoon 0.1 Cucumber ½ cup 1.0 Daikon ½ cup 1.0 Endive ½ cup 0.4 Escarole ½ cup 0.1 Fennel ½ cup 1.8 Jicama ½ cup 2.5 Iceberg lettuce 1 cup 0.2 Mushrooms ½ cup 1.2 Parsley 1 tablespoon 0.1 Peppers ½ cup/raw 2.3 Radicchio ½ cup/raw 0.7 Radishes 6/raw 0.5 Romaine lettuce 1 cup 0.4
The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbs than the salad vegetables listed above. They also provide important nutrients and add variety to your daily foods. Make sure you stay within the 12-15 grams of net carbs. Unless otherwise noted, measure these veggies after you cook them.

Vegetable Serving Size/ Prep Net Carbs Artichoke 1/2 medium 3.5 Asparagus 6 spears 2.4 Artichoke hearts 1 canned 1.0 Avocados ½ whole (raw) 1.8 Bamboo shoots ½ cup 1.2 Broccoli ½ cup 1.7 Broccoli raw ½ cup 0.8 Broccoli rabe ½ cup 2.0 Broccoflower ½ cup 2.3 Brussels sprouts ¼ cup 1.8 Cabbage ½ cup (raw) 1.6 Cauliflower ½ cup (raw) 1.4 Swiss chard ½ cup 1.8 Collard greens ½ cup boiled 2.0 Eggplant ½ cup 2.0 Green String Beans 1 cup 4.1 Hearts of palm 1 heart 0.7 Kale ½ cup 2.4 Kohlrabi ¼ cup 2.3 Leeks ½ cup 3.4 Okra ½ cup 2.4 Olives green 5 0.1 Olives black 5 0.7 Onion ¼ cup 4.3 Pumpkin ¼ cup 2.4 Rhubarb ½ cup (unsweetened) 1.7 Sauerkraut ½ cup (drained) 1.2 Snow peas and snap peas in pod ½ cup with pods 3.4 Spaghetti squash ¼ cup boiled 2.0 Spinach ½ cup 2.2 Summer squash ½ cup 2.6 Tomato ¼ cup 4.3 Turnips ½ cup 3.3 Water chestnuts ¼ cup (canned) 3.5 Zucchini ½ cup 1.5
Salad Garnishes

Crumbled bacon 3 slices 0.0 Hard-boiled egg 1 egg 0.5 Grated cheeses (see above carb counts) Sautéed mushrooms ½ cup 1.0 Sour cream 2 tbs 1.2
Herbs and Spices (make sure they contain no added sugar)

Basil 1 tbs 0.0 Cayenne pepper 1 tbs 0.0 Cilantro 1 tbs 0.0 Dill 1 tbs 0.0 Garlic 1 clove 0.9 Ginger 1 tbs sliced root 0.8 Oregano 1 tbs 0.0 Pepper 1 tbs 0.0 Rosemary 1 tbs 0.0 Sage 1 tbs 0.0 Tarragon 1 tbs 0.0
Salad Dressings - Any prepared salad dressing with no added sugar and no more then 2 grams of net carbs per serving (1-2 tablespoons) is acceptable. Or make your own.

Blue cheese 2 tbs 2.3 Caesar 2 tbs 0.5 Italian 2 tbs 3.0 Lemon juice 2 tbs 2.8 Lime juice 2 tbs 2.8 Oil and vinegar 2 tbs 1.0 Ranch 2 tbs 1.4
Fats and Oils

There are no carbs here, but keep in mind that the serving size is approximately 1 tablespoon.
  1. Butter
  2. Mayonnaise – make sure it has no added sugar
  3. Olive oil
  4. Vegetable oils – Those labeled “cold pressed” or “expeller pressed” are especially good and olive oil is one of the best.
    • Canola*
    • Walnut
    • Soybean*
    • Grape seed*
    • Sesame
    • Sunflower*
    • Safflower*
*Do not allow any oils to reach overly high temperatures when cooking. Use olive oil for sautéing only. Use walnut or sesame oil to dress cooked veggies or salad, but not for cooking.

Artificial Sweeteners
  • Splenda – one packet equals 1 gram of net carbs
Beverages
  • Clear broth/ bouillon (make sure it has no sugars added)
  • Club soda
  • Cream, heavy or light.
  • Decaffeinated or regular coffee and tea*
  • Diet soda (be sure to note the carb count)
  • Flavored seltzer (must say no calories)
  • Herb tea (without added barley or fruit sugar added)
  • Unflavored soy/almond milk
  • Water – at least eight 8-ounce glasses per day including...Filtered water
  • Mineral water
  • Spring water
  • Tap water
* One to two cups of caffeinated tea or coffee is allowed as desired and tolerated by each individual. If you experience symptoms of hypoglycemia or cravings as a result, do not use caffeine. If you have a true caffeine addiction, it is best to break the habit during the induction phase.
* Limit lemon and lime juices to 3 T per day

**If you have decided to stay in Induction longer than 2 weeks while following the “Fast Track”, you may swap out 3g NC of other foundation vegetables for 3g NC of nuts or seeds. Do not let your Foundation Vegetable levels drop below 12g NC. Refer to the meal plans in The New Atkins Made Easy for ideas. As a quick guide, 3g NC of nuts or seeds translates to 30 almonds, 3T of macadamia nuts, 2T of peanut butter, 2T pistachios, 4T shelled sunflower seeds. Transition to Phase 2 (Balancing) once you are within 15 pounds of your goal weight. If you are taking the “Slow and Steady Track”, wait to introduce Nuts and Seeds when you reach Phase 2 (Balancing).

Real bacon. That's the whole point of the diet.

Also, no wine. At least not until you've made it towards the end.

A common misconception is that it's not sustainable.

When you get about 10 lbs from your goal weight, it's all about reintroducing foods slowly. Fruit, nuts, some grains, even wine and finding out what your body can tolerate and how many carbs daily you can eat without gaining.

With an exercise plan, some folks can eat up to 100 a day.

You can even start introducing fruit and nuts after 2 week induction. Just gotta get through the hell of these 2 weeks first.

Juice diet didn't work out? Shocking.

Just get back on MFP. No gimmicks. Just eat less and measure it. I took ~25lbs off and have kept it off.

Sweet we get an update on the bathroom tile grout :thumbup:

Wife has been on Atkins for a month and dropped 14 pounds, yet when I am sitting there stuffing my face with pizza she looks like a heroin addict going through withdrawal

She does enjoy the bun less burger at 5 Guys though

Otis during the first two weeks try not to watch tv. I swear every commercial will be a delicious burger, ice cream, or something with bread in it. GL

You can eat almost anything (assuming it's portioned) and still lose weight if you exercise. That's why these fad diets are as dumb as the people that do them. Burn more than you take in. It's simple.

Hop on a treadmill fatty.

You can eat almost anything (assuming it's portioned) and still lose weight if you exercise. That's why these fad diets are as dumb as the people that do them. Burn more than you take in. It's simple.

Its not that simple.

:goodposting:

The problem with Atkins is it can't be a short term thing. As soon as you start eating carbs again it will all come back. I'd wager that less than 5% of Atkins dieters are long term successful.... maybe less than 2%. Not sustainable IMO.

Its not that simple.
Unless a person has a medical issue that prevents them from losing weight or a physical one that prevents them from exercising, please tell me how it's not that simple.

Its not that simple.

Even if you're referencing the "what you eat" and not the "how much you eat," I need structure or I crumble. :nowillpower:

Like I said in thread previous, this has helped me rein in the calories and install good practice with myfitnesspal. With my regular exercise, I hope to report a much healthier me in the coming months, I've been on keto since December 1.

Thanks to Tanner, Bender, and some other previously fat dudes, gonna give this a shot starting today. I understand Homer is about a week in, and GM may be taking the plunge too. Anyone else in?

Who's coming with me? /JerryMaguire

What is the easiest way to figure out what to eat on this thing/tips for good and easy snacks that work? Anyone have a reference or site they like?

TIA

ETA: Weighed in at 239 on the dot this morning. My goal is 210; I would love to hit or even break 200, but one thing at a time.
I'm an exAdonis who is a FF now. I tried this a few years back and did great ,lost a lot of weight . Problem was I came off the low carb and put the weight back on and then some.

I don't crave bread really. At the beginning I would tear a piece of bun off of a burger I've deconstructed just for taste. After 2 and a half months I've apparently tricked myself into thinking the bread adds nothing that I want to the taste of the meal. :shrug:

Its not that simple.
Unless a person has a medical issue that prevents them from losing weight or a physical one that prevents them from exercising, please tell me how it's not that simple.
"When glycogen stores are not available in the cells, fat (triacylglycerol) is cleaved to provide 3 fatty acidchains and 1 glycerol molecule in a process known as lipolysis. Most of the body is able to use fatty acids as an alternative source of energy in a process called beta-oxidation. One of the products of beta-oxidation is acetyl-CoA, which can be further used in the citric acid cycle. During prolonged fasting or starvation, or as the intentional result of a ketogenic diet, acetyl-CoA in the liver is used to produceketone bodies instead, leading to a state of ketosis.

During starvation or a long physical training session, the body starts using fatty acids instead of glucose. The brain cannot use long-chain fatty acids for energy because they are completely albumin-bound and cannot cross the blood–brain barrier. Not all medium-chain fatty acids are bound to albumin. The unbound medium-chain fatty acids are soluble in the blood and can cross the blood–brain barrier. The ketone bodies produced in the liver can also cross the blood–brain barrier. In the brain, these ketone bodies are then incorporated into acetyl-CoA and used in the citric acid cycle."

Someone mentioned the craving comes from the insulin spikes. I have done Atkins and lost about 30 pounds about 4 years ago. Too much measurement and hard to sustain long term. My dr. advised to consider South Beach as a better alternative to Atkins. I know you are looking for short term results. Consider South Beach diet for long term - no cravings and you don't have to measure/count everything. Cuts almost all the sugar. We have been on it for about two months and it is great. It is similar to Atkins but you can have some complex carbs but limit the "bad" fats, including butter and hydrogenated oils. Beer is also looked down upon. After you get past the "induction" phase the first couple weeks you can have any bread/cereal/pasta which is 100% whole wheat. Can have awine but try to have it with dinner or shortly after, which will delay the alcohol absorption.

Consider canadian bacon instead of bacon.

I don't crave bread really. At the beginning I would tear a piece of bun off of a burger I've deconstructed just for taste. After 2 and a half months I've apparently tricked myself into thinking the bread adds nothing that I want to the taste of the meal. :shrug:
That's why it always works for me. It's not really about eliminating what I eat, it's about eliminating the cravings to overeat that I constantly had when I was just low calorie dieting as opposed to low carb.

A few weeks into low carb you forget what sugar/bread/pasta taste like and you really don't give a #### about it. I think nothing of sitting across from someone eating fried rice while I'm eating a salad. I don't want it, I like the way I feel too much to get on the insulin roller coaster again.

To each it's own though. I'm a big fan. The health benefits that happened to me were worth it.

Its not that simple.
"When glycogen stores are not available in the cells, fat (triacylglycerol) is cleaved to provide 3 fatty acidchains and 1 glycerol molecule in a process known as lipolysis. Most of the body is able to use fatty acids as an alternative source of energy in a process called beta-oxidation. One of the products of beta-oxidation is acetyl-CoA, which can be further used in the citric acid cycle. During prolonged fasting or starvation, or as the intentional result of a ketogenic diet, acetyl-CoA in the liver is used to produceketone bodies instead, leading to a state of ketosis.

During starvation or a long physical training session, the body starts using fatty acids instead of glucose. The brain cannot use long-chain fatty acids for energy because they are completely albumin-bound and cannot cross the blood–brain barrier. Not all medium-chain fatty acids are bound to albumin. The unbound medium-chain fatty acids are soluble in the blood and can cross the blood–brain barrier. The ketone bodies produced in the liver can also cross the blood–brain barrier. In the brain, these ketone bodies are then incorporated into acetyl-CoA and used in the citric acid cycle."
Sounds like an excuse.

My meals today:

Breakfast:
2 Scoops Whey Protein (PB&Chocolate) flavor in Almond milk from Optimum Nutrition

Special K Sausage & Egg Flatbread Sandwich.

Midmorning Snack:

Apple

Lunch:
Leftover Ground Turkey taco meat on Tumaro's "Low carb" tortilla

Mid Afternoon Stack:
KRoger brand Apple Cinnamon Mini Rice Cakes
Kind brand fruit & nut bar

Dinner:
Two Chicken Breasts "Parmesean-style" (unbreaded w kirkland marinara and part skim mozz / parmesan cheese blend)
Mashed potatoes
Oven broiled asparagus with a balsamic reduction.

Not low carb. Still results in significant weight loss.

My meals today:

Breakfast:

2 Scoops Whey Protein (PB&Chocolate) flavor in Almond milk from Optimum Nutrition

Special K Sausage & Egg Flatbread Sandwich.

Midmorning Snack:

Apple

Lunch: Leftover Ground Turkey taco meat on Tumaro's "Low carb" tortilla

Mid Afternoon Stack:

KRoger brand Apple Cinnamon Mini Rice Cakes

Kind brand fruit & nut bar

Dinner:Two Chicken Breasts "Parmesean-style" (unbreaded w kirkland marinara and part skim mozz / parmesan cheese blend)
Mashed potatoes
Oven broiled asparagus with a balsamic reduction.

Not low carb. Still results in significant weight loss.
Substitute that apple for a stick of butter and you should be all set. Otherwise you're playing with fire.

Eat healthy and exercise. Stop eating garbage food and sugary drinks.

GL. I know you don't care but the small sample size of people I know who did the Atkins, who followed it, all lost weight. One guy dropped 50 some lb's really fast, looked like a diff person. That was quite a few years ago.

Fast forward to today. They all are bigger, to much bigger, now than before the diet started.

You're allowed apples on Atkins, just not during Induction. :shrug:

They are certainly not unhealthy, but fruit is nature's candy bar. So in the initial stages when attempting to get cravings under control, they aren't allowed.

:lmao: @ replace with butter tho

Users who are viewing this thread