What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1 (1 Viewer)

The problem with brought food is that it tends to be carby/sugary. At that point it's more about portion limiting.

MFP seems to really help keep me in line diet wise and motivating me to exercise more.

Started doing 4.5MPH walks for about 50 minutes a day. Sprinkled in a bit of running here and there, but I've never been a runner and it's a total mental block thing for me. I'll get about 1/2 mile in and just start cramping up (all on the left side which makes me think I'm having a gripper) and then just shutting it down. It wouldn't keep me from continuing walking, but once I stopped running, I wouldn't try to pick it back up.

Somehow, out of the blue today, I knocked out 1.25 miles in 12:30 and felt great when I was done with it.

I'm 33 days in and down 5 pounds. That's even with a couple of trainwreck days of gluttony.

Day 5 near zero carb, ketone strip darkest purple, deep ketosis. ONE f'ing 90 on the scale. That friends and neighbors is my college low when the chicks couldn't leave me alone, just like my very hot 15 years younger than me married neighbor couldn't this morning. I got some serious signals... scared the helloutta me. Anyway, a sister is here for the weekend and she brought a huge box of Portos, so 200 here I come.

Day 5 near zero carb, ketone strip darkest purple, deep ketosis. ONE f'ing 90 on the scale. That friends and neighbors is my college low when the chicks couldn't leave me alone, just like my very hot 15 years younger than me married neighbor couldn't this morning. I got some serious signals... scared the helloutta me. Anyway, a sister is here for the weekend and she brought a huge box of Portos, so 200 here I come.
lol

Started doing 4.5MPH walks for about 50 minutes a day. Sprinkled in a bit of running here and there, but I've never been a runner and it's a total mental block thing for me. I'll get about 1/2 mile in and just start cramping up (all on the left side which makes me think I'm having a gripper) and then just shutting it down. It wouldn't keep me from continuing walking, but once I stopped running, I wouldn't try to pick it back up.

Somehow, out of the blue today, I knocked out 1.25 miles in 12:30 and felt great when I was done with it.
Based on yesterday's success, I was going to do at least 1.5 miles running. Made it the normal 1/2 mile before I started cramping up.

Back to square one on the running.

:mellow:

Based on yesterday's success, I was going to do at least 1.5 miles running. Made it the normal 1/2 mile before I started cramping up.

Back to square one on the running.

:mellow:
Don't eat before you run, avoid sugary hydration, and breathe deep. Worth a try. I have a chronic bad back. Jogging aggravates it more than sprinting. I can only guess it is because sprinting is over quickly and my core is tight and protective. The benefits of a few sprints during your walk far outweigh working up to a jog.

lol
Yeah, every sentence is a little funny so I'm not sure what you laughed at, but one reason I did this was because you said it took longer to get ketogenic than I remember. I don't know if some people are keto-adapted but Dr. Kurt Harris uses that phrase a lot talking about going in and out of ketosis regularly. I don't know when I wentr into ketosis, because I just checked this morning, but I was tasting it in 48 hours.

Also, not picking nits with you, but I definitely dropped an inch+ on the gut doing this and we know I've mostly dropped water (which is why I'll gain most back), but I did tighten the belt dropping water. This was a 48 hour water fast followed by steak and eggs dinners, fat salmon or cod steaks for lunch, no grain or veggies... for two days. Not sure what I'm going to do today, but I'm not hungry and I'm in that trippy low carb mental state and kinda like it.

lol
Yeah, every sentence is a little funny so I'm not sure what you laughed at, but one reason I did this was because you said it took longer to get ketogenic than I remember. I don't know if some people are keto-adapted but Dr. Kurt Harris uses that phrase a lot talking about going in and out of ketosis regularly. I don't know when I wentr into ketosis, because I just checked this morning, but I was tasting it in 48 hours.

Also, not picking nits with you, but I definitely dropped an inch+ on the gut doing this and we know I've mostly dropped water (which is why I'll gain most back), but I did tighten the belt dropping water. This was a 48 hour water fast followed by steak and eggs dinners, fat salmon or cod steaks for lunch, no grain or veggies... for two days. Not sure what I'm going to do today, but I'm not hungry and I'm in that trippy low carb mental state and kinda like it.
No, I liked the narrative. Good results. As soon as I finish my bulk I'm going to try 3 weeks of keto myself if I can manage it. I don't think I'll last more than 10 days though.

You do have something backwards though:

Weight loss with inches loss = fat

Weight loss without inches loss = water

This effect is more pronounced in women.

I keep forgetting to submit my MFP. I still track the calories all day, but then forget to publish.
My family makes fun of me because I am pretty diligent about entering my food in on my smartphone. But I have lost just shy of 30 pounds since Feb. 10, so I am OK with it.

Ran/walked 5.1 miles in 51 minutes last night. My knees/legs are pretty sore today, but nothing unbearable. I've kept up the Monday/Friday cardio for awhile now (maybe 2-3 months?) and I've made some really nice progress. Ideally I'd like to go faster, but I'm pretty sure the length of the run is the most important thing.

:eek:

Back from vacation... stepped on the scale this morning down almost 2 lbs!

I was semi-conscious about what I ate. Definitely broke ketosis (verified when I got home). Drank a lot. I did also walk a lot... 8-10 miles a day on the beach.

Extremely pleased... thought for sure I'd put on a few. Back at it now in earnest to get to my goal before the end of summer.

Mainstream media is now picking up on IIFYM meta-research. The last paragraph is below and is basically a IIFYM starter kit.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v508/n7496_supp/full/508S66a.html

Evading evolutionThe range of processed food becoming available is evolving faster than our appetite control systems. Simple sugars and fat were rare in our ancestral environment and highly prized. This may be why modern humans tend to favour the fatty and sugary foods that now surround us, and would also account for the trend in agriculture and industrialization towards producing readily digested carbohydrates and fats.

Populations accustomed to a high-protein diet, such as hunter-gatherers, may be most at risk in moving to a modern diet where protein is in short supply. If their physiology reflects their ancestral diet, they may have appetite systems that strive for an even higher protein intake than populations whose ancestors switched earlier to an agricultural lifestyle with a high-carbohydrate diet.

Much of the discussion of diets focuses on calorie counting and simplistic attempts to demonize elements of a normal diet. However, these approaches fail to capture the inherently multidimensional nature of nutrition. It is clear that the balance of nutrients — especially protein, fat and carbohydrate — has profound effects on many critical physiological functions, including appetite, energy intake, obesity, cardiometabolic health, ageing, immunity and the microbial ecology of the gut1, 4. Teasing apart these interactions, and providing dietary interventions that can help alleviate their negative effects on health, requires a more integrated view of nutrition than is offered by the hegemony of the calorie or the search for a single culprit.

Been on a 4000 calorie bulk for 2 weeks. My wife yesterday said. Hey I like your arms and chest but can we do something for your beer gut. Lol. Up 9 pounds already.

Been on a 4000 calorie bulk for 2 weeks. My wife yesterday said. Hey I like your arms and chest but can we do something for your beer gut. Lol. Up 9 pounds already.
Do you find you have more energy for life and stuff? Have your lifts improved?
Lifts are way up. Raising maxes every time through. I'm not worried. Plus it will give me a reason to finally try keto with the idea of losing a ####ton of weight. I'm gaining about 1 pound every 2 days. This wasn't really fast enough so I got some ProComplex Gainer powder. Not ideal, but this is a temporary thing.

I'm also now doing most all my ab work holding a 20# kettle bell or something like that #6pack.

Lifts are way up. Raising maxes every time through. I'm not worried. Plus it will give me a reason to finally try keto with the idea of losing a ####ton of weight. I'm gaining about 1 pound every 2 days. This wasn't really fast enough so I got some ProComplex Gainer powder. Not ideal, but this is a temporary thing.

I'm also now doing most all my ab work holding a 20# kettle bell or something like that #6pack.
I assume you're trying to gain mostly muscle. Are you doing a before/after body-fat test to show the results?

MFP seems to really help keep me in line diet wise and motivating me to exercise more.

I'm 33 days in and down 5 pounds. That's even with a couple of trainwreck days of gluttony.
Congrats :thumbup:

#######it this has been a frustrating few weeks after a good start. Infant was miserable last night. Back from a biz trip at 8pm after a bunch of delays, put the kids to bed, chinese food because I was famished and miserable, up at 4am with the infant, coffee and off to work. So far I've only had coffee and a protein shake today. But it's been a brutal road. I need some normalcy at home if I'm ever going to get back on track. Incredibly frustrating. Even started biting my nails a little too.

####

I assume you're trying to gain mostly muscle. Are you doing a before/after body-fat test to show the results?
Yes, and about weekly. So far it's showing it's about a 50/50 gain.

Otis, you should also probably accept the fact that what you are experiencing at home is likely the new normal and the only thing you can control about it is your response.

100% compliance should not be the expectation. Just get back on the program as you can and over time you will integrate it with your life more efficiently.

If you really kept your MFP log in good faith and tracked weight then after 33 days you should be able to calculate your BMR within +/-100cals.

It's one of the best reasons to do MFP.

Otis, you should also probably accept the fact that what you are experiencing at home is likely the new normal and the only thing you can control about it is your response.

100% compliance should not be the expectation. Just get back on the program as you can and over time you will integrate it with your life more efficiently.
Yeah, in some other thread (buying a house!), Otis said his plan was to have two more kids. If he sticks with that plan, things won't get "normal" for him for probably 15 years at least.

I read years ago the best time to start a health and fitness program is when things are most hectic. Some people use vacations to start. Then real life gets in the way. I said earlier, Otis, I don't have an answer for this one, but it seems obvious you have to nut up. Stop using stress as an excuse to eat crap. That's what my fat sisters do. It's unbecoming a grown#ss man.

I read years ago the best time to start a health and fitness program is when things are most hectic. Some people use vacations to start. Then real life gets in the way. I said earlier, Otis, I don't have an answer for this one, but it seems obvious you have to nut up. Stop using stress as an excuse to eat crap. That's what my fat sisters do. It's unbecoming a grown#ss man.
very :goodposting:

lol :OtisTruth:

So far today I've had a protein shake, chicken, asparagus. and a glass of red wine. SUCK IT FATTIES.

(Gonna go get some chocolate and more wine nowlolz)

I know people bag on BMI, but as of this morning, I am officially in the "normal" range! Pretty excited. :patsselfonback:

I know people bag on BMI, but as of this morning, I am officially in the "normal" range! Pretty excited. :patsselfonback:
Every metric counts. Good job.
Thanks! Now that the gut is gone, it's time to get rid of the flab around the middle. That is going to be a huge challenge because I hate, hate, hate ab exercises.
Ab exercises do very little to reduce fat around your middle, in particular (read: no more than any other resistance exercise). It's all diet.

Thanks! Now that the gut is gone, it's time to get rid of the flab around the middle. That is going to be a huge challenge because I hate, hate, hate ab exercises.
Abs are made in the kitchen.

Though if you really just want to do ab exercises then P90x AbRipper 1x a week is more than enough. It's like 12 minutes.

Ab exercises do very little to reduce fat around your middle, in particular (read: no more than any other resistance exercise). It's all diet.
Crap, I guess I need to keep losing. Better than ab exercises, though.

If your goal is visible abs and you are committed to that objective then you'll need to do something to gain definition. You can have a flat stomach without developed core muscles.

If you don't really want to do targeted ab movements then compound movements which require stability are going to give you similar results. i.e instead of lifting on a bench do it on a a stability ball, use stability ball at work to sit on etc.

Yup, I'm 6-2.5 barefoot. At 200 I have gut flab and a veiled 2 pack. At 190 I have a legit 4 pack. I guess I could try to get lower but I think my natural/comfortable state is about 200. I've been told a couple times this week I'm too thin. Hah, if they knew what beautiful music that is to once morbidly obese me. I sure feel better shirtless at 190.

I've been doing MFP as more of a data mining thing with the long term goal of learning how to really eat. I'm a marathoner and have used that as an excuse to eat whatever the hell I want. Well, I'm soft and I'm beginning to really hate it.

I've been lurking in here for a couple of weeks, and seeing culdeus' "abs are made in the kitchen" really hit me. I want to learn what that really means and how I can realistically go about that while keeping up with all the running I do. When I'm in marathon mode, I'm running up to 70mi per week and want to eat non-stop. That's going to be a big challenge to eat 3500 clean calories per day.

Any links/resources you experts would suggest reading?

Just from watching MFP for 2 weeks, I've dropped 2.5#.

I've been doing MFP as more of a data mining thing with the long term goal of learning how to really eat. I'm a marathoner and have used that as an excuse to eat whatever the hell I want. Well, I'm soft and I'm beginning to really hate it.

I've been lurking in here for a couple of weeks, and seeing culdeus' "abs are made in the kitchen" really hit me. I want to learn what that really means and how I can realistically go about that while keeping up with all the running I do. When I'm in marathon mode, I'm running up to 70mi per week and want to eat non-stop. That's going to be a big challenge to eat 3500 clean calories per day.

I'm not sure what your exact question is. For men belly fat is a "1A" which means it's the first area to gain excess fatty tissue when there is a surplus. The behavior of belly fat is fairly well understood and is nearly always the first spot to respond to a diet change.

For most men you will begin to see visible ab muscles without doing a single crunch at roughly 12% body fat. At 10 it's all but certain.

I'm not sure what your exact question is. For men belly fat is a "1A" which means it's the first area to gain excess fatty tissue when there is a surplus. The behavior of belly fat is fairly well understood and is nearly always the first spot to respond to a diet change.

For most men you will begin to see visible ab muscles without doing a single crunch at roughly 12% body fat. At 10 it's all but certain.
Sorry, I rambled. It's really 2 questions:

1 - I don't know how to eat. Typical american 'give it to me fast and tasty' mentality. I think all the running I do has masked a lot of the crap I eat. Above all else, I want to learn how to really eat and break some of these addictions. I'm SO addicted to chips, for example. About the only thing I have going for me is I mostly eat venison as my red meat and rarely drink soda.

2 - I want to lose the last few pounds around my waist. I'm sure #1 solves # 2, which is why I screwed up my first post.

Sorry, I rambled. It's really 2 questions:

1 - I don't know how to eat. Typical american 'give it to me fast and tasty' mentality. I think all the running I do has masked a lot of the crap I eat. Above all else, I want to learn how to really eat and break some of these addictions. I'm SO addicted to chips, for example. About the only thing I have going for me is I mostly eat venison as my red meat and rarely drink soda.

2 - I want to lose the last few pounds around my waist. I'm sure #1 solves # 2, which is why I screwed up my first post.
Well there are many options already laid out in this thread. MFP is one path that people take that can be highly effective.

For the "last few pounds" sometimes it takes people doing stuff like intermittent fasting to shed it, but that isn't always the case.

And chips are really tailor made to scuttle any diet plans. You can't really engineer a worse food.

idont need to preach discipline with you, that's a non issue. I think your issue is all in preparation. As you said, give it to me fast and tasty. Have to fix that before you get anywhere.Go to the store with a plan. Shopping list, cooking list for the week, then stick to it. Some really have difficulty cooking during the week so for those people I suggest a designating cooking day per week and stock the fridge. That way your fast food is reheated homemade stri fry instead of a burger and fries. If the salt craving is the biggest tangible hurdle try some organic tortilla chips and guac or pretzels.

I could go on, but that's a start.

Users who are viewing this thread