What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1 (1 Viewer)

WTF.

After a hectic few weeks on the home front which caused me to stop tracking on MFP, to start eating like crsp with more frequency, and a business trip weekend thrown in, I step on the scale for the first time today in weeks and I'm actually at my lowest point of the year!

This is the little bit of motivation I needed to get back on it hard. I think it's probably because I'm still eating hard boiled eggs for breakfast and most work days just a protein shake for lunch. I haven't been working out due to the infants 4am wake up times, but I still do drop and do push-ups at the office or at home here and there.

Just flabbergasted. Feeling psyched. Back on the horse. Let's do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone else doing a strictly Ketogenic diet?

65% fat

30% protein

5% carbs

The first 3 weeks I lost 13 pounds. Went from 287 to 273 or so. Easter hit and I gained 4 pounds that day!

Well now I am back on the Ketogenic train and entered ketosis yesterday.

65% fat

30% protein

5% carbs

The first 3 weeks I lost 13 pounds. Went from 287 to 273 or so. Easter hit and I gained 4 pounds that day!

Nice! I tried it earlier in here. Got to ketosis until a buddy convinced me it's a bad idea. But it was working and was pretty easy I thought.

WTF.

After a hectic few weeks on the home front which caused me to stop tracking on MFP, to start eating like crsp with more frequency, and a business trip weekend thrown in, I step on the scale for the first time today in weeks and I'm actually at my lowest point of the year!

This is the little bit of motivation I needed to get back on it hard. I think it's probably because I'm still eating hard boiled eggs for breakfast and most work days just a protein shake for lunch. I haven't been working out due to the infants 4am wake up times, but I still do drop and do push-ups at the office or at home here and there.

Congrats O! You're already down 12 pounds just since starting this thread. I know you're surprised, but you shouldn't be. You've made significant changes to your lifestyle. So even if you're not 100% on the program, it's still a big improvement. Eating crap occasionally is better than eating crap all the time.

I know people bag on BMI, but as of this morning, I am officially in the "normal" range! Pretty excited. :patsselfonback:
Every metric counts. Good job.
Thanks! Now that the gut is gone, it's time to get rid of the flab around the middle. That is going to be a huge challenge because I hate, hate, hate ab exercises.
Ab exercises do very little to reduce fat around your middle, in particular (read: no more than any other resistance exercise). It's all diet.
Crap, I guess I need to keep losing. Better than ab exercises, though.
If your goal is visible abs and you are committed to that objective then you'll need to do something to gain definition. You can have a flat stomach without developed core muscles.

If you don't really want to do targeted ab movements then compound movements which require stability are going to give you similar results. i.e instead of lifting on a bench do it on a a stability ball, use stability ball at work to sit on etc.
Thanks. I found this article on line: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

It's pretty accessible for the uninitiated and has a bunch of helpful pictures to show differences in body fat percentage.

Thanks. I found this article on line: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

It's pretty accessible for the uninitiated and has a bunch of helpful pictures to show differences in body fat percentage.
Yeah, this was helpful for me. Last time I saw scoobygang I had him look me over and tell me what he thought my body fat percentage was. Looking at the pics, I think he was pretty accurate.
My turn in three weeks!

Yeah, this was helpful for me. Last time I saw scoobygang I had him look me over and tell me what he thought my body fat percentage was. Looking at the pics, I think he was pretty accurate.
My turn in three weeks!
Be sure to set aside at least 45 minutes and wear your shortest shorts.

The apocalyptic rains in DC the last three days really fouled up my routine. My weekday routine is pretty set. Walk about a mile to work. Walk about 10-12 blocks to a relatively healthy lunch spot and walk back. Finish work and walk a mile back home. That will get me at least 11,000 steps a day, usually a bit more.

I haven't been able to do any of that the past few days, so I haven't hit my steps goal for the first two times since getting the Fitbit. And I'm also stuck grabbing lunch from the cafeteria where I don't have accurate calorie counts. None of which would matter if I hadn't been gaining and losing the same two pounds for the last 10 days. Annoying.

My turn in three weeks!
I prefer Scoob look at me nekkid... is that wrong? :dontwantotberight:

65% fat

30% protein

5% carbs

I am not doing strict keto... but strict enough to stay in ketosis... about 15% calories from carbs (60g or so). That, along with IF seem to be working really well for me.

:noban:

65% fat

30% protein

5% carbs

Nice! I tried it earlier in here. Got to ketosis until a buddy convinced me it's a bad idea. But it was working and was pretty easy I thought.
Natural Keto is still extremely low risk. It's just not mandatory, and there are easier long term methods.

FWIW I'm going to do a keto cut in about 3 weeks.

Oat - Congrats on the new low.

And just a playful jab in the grande thread. You throw up a softball like that and I'm not going to be able to resist taking a swing at it when all of my willpower is being directed towards the diet.

65% fat

30% protein

5% carbs

Natural Keto is still extremely low risk. It's just not mandatory, and there are easier long term methods.

FWIW I'm going to do a keto cut in about 3 weeks.
I went keto after easter and am sticking with it today. I like the way I feel. It's like revisiting an old pal that helped me when I was between 260-300. I don't have good energy for aerobic workouts, but I'm fine with resistance training, maybe seeing some slight improvements. I'm not missing most carbs, potatoes a little, but I do believe beer is necessary for survival and will need to take care of myself soon.

The apocalyptic rains in DC the last three days really fouled up my routine. My weekday routine is pretty set. Walk about a mile to work. Walk about 10-12 blocks to a relatively healthy lunch spot and walk back. Finish work and walk a mile back home. That will get me at least 11,000 steps a day, usually a bit more.

I haven't been able to do any of that the past few days, so I haven't hit my steps goal for the first two times since getting the Fitbit. And I'm also stuck grabbing lunch from the cafeteria where I don't have accurate calorie counts. None of which would matter if I hadn't been gaining and losing the same two pounds for the last 10 days. Annoying.
You too

WTF.

Congrats O! You're already down 12 pounds just since starting this thread. I know you're surprised, but you shouldn't be. You've made significant changes to your lifestyle. So even if you're not 100% on the program, it's still a big improvement. Eating crap occasionally is better than eating crap all the time.
Thanks gb :hifive:

You too
I have resistance bands. And I can do bodyweight exercises (which I find better). But neither are really a substitute for movement for getting a significant caloric buffer above BMR. I'm doing just enough strength stuff to not lose muscle mass, but past experience has led me that trying to do much strength work (or really concentrating too hard on other fitness goals) can be incompatible if the goal is fast weight loss.

I've been doing MFP as more of a data mining thing with the long term goal of learning how to really eat. I'm a marathoner and have used that as an excuse to eat whatever the hell I want. Well, I'm soft and I'm beginning to really hate it.

I've been lurking in here for a couple of weeks, and seeing culdeus' "abs are made in the kitchen" really hit me. I want to learn what that really means and how I can realistically go about that while keeping up with all the running I do. When I'm in marathon mode, I'm running up to 70mi per week and want to eat non-stop. That's going to be a big challenge to eat 3500 clean calories per day.

Any links/resources you experts would suggest reading?

Just from watching MFP for 2 weeks, I've dropped 2.5#.
idont need to preach discipline with you, that's a non issue. I think your issue is all in preparation. As you said, give it to me fast and tasty. Have to fix that before you get anywhere.Go to the store with a plan. Shopping list, cooking list for the week, then stick to it. Some really have difficulty cooking during the week so for those people I suggest a designating cooking day per week and stock the fridge. That way your fast food is reheated homemade stri fry instead of a burger and fries. If the salt craving is the biggest tangible hurdle try some organic tortilla chips and guac or pretzels.

I could go on, but that's a start.
Please, go on. Talk to me like I'm Otis. As disciplined as I am with running, I'm not with my eating. That's changing, now. I just need to learn how to do it.

Are the organic tortilla chips acceptable? Chips are my biggest crutch; I feel like a smoker trying to quit.

Still a bit confused concerning the eating of high fat items while doing Atkins. I get the idea that the body will consume fat if no carbs are available. But wouldn't the body consume more local fat (non edible) if you ate lean meats?

Still a bit confused concerning the eating of high fat items while doing Atkins. I get the idea that the body will consume fat if no carbs are available. But wouldn't the body consume more local fat (non edible) if you ate lean meats?
Concept here is that protein is readily convertible to glucose in the absence of carbs while the body is in ketosis. So if you eat super lean meat constantly you are encouraging this effect which might stall weight loss.

The other reason you need to eat fat is that your body has to have something to run on if not carbs. There are those that would think keto flu is brought on when people eat just boneless skinless and spinach all day long.

I've been doing MFP as more of a data mining thing with the long term goal of learning how to really eat. I'm a marathoner and have used that as an excuse to eat whatever the hell I want. Well, I'm soft and I'm beginning to really hate it.

I've been lurking in here for a couple of weeks, and seeing culdeus' "abs are made in the kitchen" really hit me. I want to learn what that really means and how I can realistically go about that while keeping up with all the running I do. When I'm in marathon mode, I'm running up to 70mi per week and want to eat non-stop. That's going to be a big challenge to eat 3500 clean calories per day.

Any links/resources you experts would suggest reading?

Just from watching MFP for 2 weeks, I've dropped 2.5#.
idont need to preach discipline with you, that's a non issue. I think your issue is all in preparation. As you said, give it to me fast and tasty. Have to fix that before you get anywhere.Go to the store with a plan. Shopping list, cooking list for the week, then stick to it. Some really have difficulty cooking during the week so for those people I suggest a designating cooking day per week and stock the fridge. That way your fast food is reheated homemade stri fry instead of a burger and fries. If the salt craving is the biggest tangible hurdle try some organic tortilla chips and guac or pretzels.

I could go on, but that's a start.
Please, go on. Talk to me like I'm Otis. As disciplined as I am with running, I'm not with my eating. That's changing, now. I just need to learn how to do it.Are the organic tortilla chips acceptable? Chips are my biggest crutch; I feel like a smoker trying to quit.
i used to eat a bag of Doritos...or Cheetos...or sour cream and cheddar ruffles...or, well, you get it per day. Those chips fixed me. The ones at Costco are great. Mix up my own salsa and guac then interchange throughout the week when I need a salt fix. There are better things to eat, but for a recovering salt addic I call it good enough.I'll give my sample weekday below. Note to others, this is a diet for someone that works out five or six days per week. Ned probably even needs more calories than i because he works out probably five or six hours per week whereas I am closer to three. I go to the store once over the weekend and usually a quick stop one per week to get produce if necessary. We make a lot of food over the weekend then plan a couple meals per week. She cooks one I cook the other. I usually make fish, she does a better job of taking what is in the fridge and winging something together.

Typical day

One or two cups of black coffee and water is about all I drink...except when I cheat with a few drinks and occasionally have a glass of milk with dinner if I have room for more calories

Banana, oatmeal, and a bagel for breakfast. Sometimes a hard boiled egg too.

An orange or apple mid morning and enough almonds to get through my lunch workout

Protein shake, usually use berries water and whey protein, post workout

Cottage cheese and celery or cucumber and hummus and a sandwich (dry on wheat...turkey, tuna, or fish...with whatever veggies make sense and if turkey some cheese too)

Usually keep some kind of nut (macadamia, pistachio, or even sunflower seeds)around if I get hungry before leaving the office

Dinner varies, put some samples below

Chips and guac or salsa for a snack, sometimes dark chocolate too

These are homemade things I always make sure are in our fridge to make food prep easier. When we run out I restock and make some more over the weekend - tomato sauce, salsa, guac

These are ingredients I always make sure we have around the house - hot sauce, lemon juice, lime juice, black beans, brown rice, quinoa, garlic, red and black pepper, olive oil

These are staples I always make sure we have - three different kinds of fish, tuna, ground turkey, bone in chicken, boneless chicken

These are produce I always make sure we have on hand - bananas, oranges or apples, some kind of berry, celery, cucumber, carrots, asparagus, spinach, tomato, different kinds of onion, other dark greens

Things I get every week at the store, or am sure to restock when we run out - whole wheat bread, cream cheese, bagels, oatmeal, cottage cheese, deli turkey, cheese, nuts, tortilla chips, eggs, hummus

The common theme, do not shop the aisles, shop the outer rim. Whatever you can buy in the aisles you can make from the outer rim, better and healthier...or unhealthier if you so desire.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, schedule a cheat day per week. Maybe just a cheat meal. It is very difficult for even the most disciplined to transform without something to look forward to. Get that cheat per week and you will be better set up for success. Just make sure it is only one per week. Get a fine steak with garlic salt and pepper then grill twelve hours later. Get a bunch of potatoes, cut in half, score, fill with whatever you want, wrap in foil, then grill them for an hour or so. Or get a rack of ribs and slow cook them all day. Or if you want to keep it simple indulge in a burger with all the fixins. Or if you want to spread the cheating out fry up some bacon and use it once every few days. Not sure what your drinking habits are like, but I keep myself pretty limited during racing season, April through October. I rarely drink more than once per week and when I do it is just one. I never drink race week either. However, I often drink immediately after racing.

Agree with the above email cheat days. Truthfully I've had moderate success even doing cheat WEEKENDS. If you're good enough on the weekdays, you can counter any weekend damage. It will slow your progress, but still.

Otis said:
AAABatteries said:
I've been dreading coming back in here - I've reverted back to my old fatass ways. Please ridicule me.
Never too late to turn it around. Forgive your past self, and do your future self a favor today. Get started, fatty.

Agree with the above email cheat days. Truthfully I've had moderate success even doing cheat WEEKENDS. If you're good enough on the weekdays, you can counter any weekend damage. It will slow your progress, but still.
No doubt a few of my failed attempts were because I wouldn't cheat and it eventually became unrealistic.

It's Sunday night, I've been watching football all day, dieting, decide to get the heck out of the house for the night game, beer wings peanuts, bliss. Then guilt, then weight gain.

I think the cheat days are fundamental unless the dieter is way stronger and nerdier than me.

You too
I have resistance bands. And I can do bodyweight exercises (which I find better). But neither are really a substitute for movement for getting a significant caloric buffer above BMR. I'm doing just enough strength stuff to not lose muscle mass, but past experience has led me that trying to do much strength work (or really concentrating too hard on other fitness goals) can be incompatible if the goal is fast weight loss.
If you combine hiit with the bands and bust tail doing it for 30 minutes, you will, according to some widely accepted research burn over 4 times the fat as you would on a one hour walk. Hiit is a revelation. Takes very little time, burns fat like nothing else, boosts metabolism burning cals long after the workout, and spikes some of the healthiest hormones and enzymes. It's also wildly addicting endorphin pumping happiness.

I still walk, but that's for therapy more than fat loss.

Hiit was the biggest contributor to my weight loss, have to be in the right shape to do it and absolutely cannot let poor form get the best of you when you fatigue though. It's not for everyone. If it works for you it will work for the scale.

Thanks, MAC.

I may not be as far off as I think I am based on your lists, I just have cheat days every other day it seems. I'll have a few beers a week, but rarely more than one at night.

Bagels are another big vice of mine that I think I need to cut back on. I've been loving scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, and salsa for breakfast lately. Much better than a bacon egg and cheese bagel. I LOVE eggs. They better not be bad news or I'm ######.

Biggest thing, like you said, will be marathon training when I'm running for 6hrs a week. Eating clean to support that level of activity will be tough.

I kind of screwed today up. Ate 1065cal between breakfast, lunch, and post workout shake. I ran an 8 miler burning 1022. I was really dragging ### this afternoon. Our basement flooded last night thanks to that stupid storm so I was running on fumes.

Tomorrow's meals

Bulletproof coffee, 3 eggs, 6 links turkey sausage, cheese

Chilli, cheese

Pizza: holy grail pizza crust

You too
Kettlebells.......

65% fat

30% protein

5% carbs

I may have cream cheese in my veins, not sure yet.

This is really my ONLY problem with the keto diet I'm on. Really no room for a cheat day. I did a "cheat week" while on vacation and it took 5 days for me to get back into ketosis. Plus, as I found out over vacation, I'm not mentally ready. Once I cheat, I feel like my mind/body really wants to go hog wild (pun intended).

So, at least until I hit, or get real close, to my goal... I don't feel like I can afford a cheat day. Once I'm maintaining, I'll reconsider.

This is really my ONLY problem with the keto diet I'm on. Really no room for a cheat day. I did a "cheat week" while on vacation and it took 5 days for me to get back into ketosis. Plus, as I found out over vacation, I'm not mentally ready. Once I cheat, I feel like my mind/body really wants to go hog wild (pun intended).

So, at least until I hit, or get real close, to my goal... I don't feel like I can afford a cheat day. Once I'm maintaining, I'll reconsider.
I am with you. I cheated on Easter, and am just now getting back into ketosis and back to the weight I was eater morning.

Have you tried the Holy Grail Pizza Crust or oopsie rolls? I am going to try and make pancakes in the AM so I will report out if they are any good.

Thanks, MAC.

I may not be as far off as I think I am based on your lists, I just have cheat days every other day it seems. I'll have a few beers a week, but rarely more than one at night.

Bagels are another big vice of mine that I think I need to cut back on. I've been loving scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, and salsa for breakfast lately. Much better than a bacon egg and cheese bagel. I LOVE eggs. They better not be bad news or I'm ######.

Biggest thing, like you said, will be marathon training when I'm running for 6hrs a week. Eating clean to support that level of activity will be tough.

I kind of screwed today up. Ate 1065cal between breakfast, lunch, and post workout shake. I ran an 8 miler burning 1022. I was really dragging ### this afternoon. Our basement flooded last night thanks to that stupid storm so I was running on fumes.
Type of bagel is very important ;)

My wife makes a killer bacon, egg, and cheese everything bagel but we might have that once every other week. Usually just use cream cheese, not nearly as bad for you and really helps to add up the morning calorie count, burn it off with the run later in the day.

Eggs are all about moderation. I love eggs too. It depends who you ask, but somewhere between 3 and 5 per week seems to be the sweet spot. The egg, turkey sausage, and salsa dish looks like a winner too. If it's store bought salsa just be mindful of the overall salt intake.

Thanks, MAC.

My wife makes a killer bacon, egg, and cheese everything bagel but we might have that once every other week. Usually just use cream cheese, not nearly as bad for you and really helps to add up the morning calorie count, burn it off with the run later in the day.

Eggs are all about moderation. I love eggs too. It depends who you ask, but somewhere between 3 and 5 per week seems to be the sweet spot. The egg, turkey sausage, and salsa dish looks like a winner too. If it's store bought salsa just be mindful of the overall salt intake.
3-5 per week? FML :sadbanana:

We are Costco/Kirkland fans.... Love their salsa. Yep, loaded with salt. The one thing that has jumped out at me with using MFP is the amount of sodium in everything. :shock:

Thanks, MAC.

We are Costco/Kirkland fans.... Love their salsa. Yep, loaded with salt. The one thing that has jumped out at me with using MFP is the amount of sodium in everything. :shock:
And lack of potassium...

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a reputable nutrition expert in 2014 who thinks you need to limit eggs. Eggs are a nutritional super-food.
It's been a while since I read that so new info may have changed, but if I remember right it's a cholesterol thing. Like just about anything else, it's great in moderation, but over do it? Not so much.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a reputable nutrition expert in 2014 who thinks you need to limit eggs. Eggs are a nutritional super-food.
It's been a while since I read that so new info may have changed, but if I remember right it's a cholesterol thing. Like just about anything else, it's great in moderation, but over do it? Not so much.
Eggs contain dietary cholesterol. We've known since the 70s that dietary cholesterol has no effect on serum (blood) cholesterol.

Eggs also contain moderate amounts of saturated fat. The lipid hypothesis, which links saturated fat to serum cholesterol (and to heart disease) has been hotly debated. Just this year, we're beginning to see most mainstream nutrition experts who are cited in the media begin to say what "ancestral health" affiliated nutritionists have been saying for years. Which is to say that the lipid hypothesis just isn't supported by the evidence. But in any case, anyone can get some bloodwork done as he tweaks his diet. Most Atkins dieters eat truly staggering amounts of eggs (because they're cheaper than most protein sources), and they almost always cut their serum cholesterol dramatically.

Thanks, MAC.

And lack of potassium...
Potassium is underreported on MFP. Many people when they report things into MFP do it manually and omit it.

Thanks, MAC.

And lack of potassium...
Potassium is underreported on MFP. Many people when they report things into MFP do it manually and omit it.
Good point. I hope that's the case, because I always come in very low.

Eggs contain dietary cholesterol. We've known since the 70s that dietary cholesterol has no effect on serum (blood) cholesterol.

Eggs also contain moderate amounts of saturated fat. The lipid hypothesis, which links saturated fat to serum cholesterol (and to heart disease) has been hotly debated. Just this year, we're beginning to see most mainstream nutrition experts who are cited in the media begin to say what "ancestral health" affiliated nutritionists have been saying for years. Which is to say that the lipid hypothesis just isn't supported by the evidence. But in any case, anyone can get some bloodwork done as he tweaks his diet. Most Atkins dieters eat truly staggering amounts of eggs (because they're cheaper than most protein sources), and they almost always cut their serum cholesterol dramatically.
This is the new info I referred to, wasn't aware of that. Still, I err on the conservative side regarding my diet, so as long as this remains an ongoing issue I'm not going to over indulge in eggs nor will I recommend others do. My method differs from most dieter's because I promote balance rather than strict rules, new findings are constantly found so if you are doing something bad without knowing but in moderation you're less likely to be impacted and it will be easier to adjust. Just have to find what works for you within the balancing boundaries. Shop the outer rim, get a variety of different foods, and hit all the food groups. If you like something that is usually found in the aisles figure out how to make it on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread