Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a reputable nutrition expert in 2014 who thinks you need to limit eggs. Eggs are a nutritional super-food.

It's been a while since I read that so new info may have changed, but if I remember right it's a cholesterol thing. Like just about anything else, it's great in moderation, but over do it? Not so much.

Eggs contain dietary cholesterol. We've known since the 70s that dietary cholesterol has no effect on serum (blood) cholesterol.

Eggs also contain moderate amounts of saturated fat. The lipid hypothesis, which links saturated fat to serum cholesterol (and to heart disease) has been hotly debated. Just this year, we're beginning to see most mainstream nutrition experts who are cited in the media begin to say what "ancestral health" affiliated nutritionists have been saying for years. Which is to say that the lipid hypothesis just isn't supported by the evidence. But in any case, anyone can get some bloodwork done as he tweaks his diet. Most Atkins dieters eat truly staggering amounts of eggs (because they're cheaper than most protein sources), and they almost always cut their serum cholesterol dramatically.

This is the new info I referred to, wasn't aware of that. Still, I err on the conservative side regarding my diet, so as long as this remains an ongoing issue I'm not going to over indulge in eggs nor will I recommend others do. My method differs from most dieter's because I promote balance rather than strict rules, new findings are constantly found so if you are doing something bad without knowing but in moderation you're less likely to be impacted and it will be easier to adjust. Just have to find what works for you within the balancing boundaries. Shop the outer rim, get a variety of different foods, and hit all the food groups. If you like something that is usually found in the aisles figure out how to make it on your own.

I agree with almost all of that.

I just think that Ned is placing too great an emphasis on eating clean. Because 10 of us here will tell him 10 different ways to eat clean.

For instance, I avoid gluten. I'm not celiac. I have no idea if I'm really gluten sensitive (my heartburn and Gerd tend to go away, but that could just be because I'm eating less). But controlling my diet is easier when I don't eat wheat, so I don't eat wheat right now.

I think 95% of what Ned wants to see can be accomplished by him tracking diligently for a month or two. He'll get a sense of his caloric input and a sense of how he can cut a few hundred calories a day. But that's going to be a highly individualized thing, because running 70 miles a week has a profound effect on your caloric needs.

Gained 3 pounds since I changed my lifting routine to sets of 5. I have been getting stronger because the weight I have been lifting is increasing. But I hate seeing the weight gain because I have been eating at a calorie deficit. Everywhere I read says it's impossible to gain muscle while at calorie deficit. So in my head I'm gaining fat. I need to start taking measurements.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a reputable nutrition expert in 2014 who thinks you need to limit eggs. Eggs are a nutritional super-food.

It's been a while since I read that so new info may have changed, but if I remember right it's a cholesterol thing. Like just about anything else, it's great in moderation, but over do it? Not so much.

Eggs contain dietary cholesterol. We've known since the 70s that dietary cholesterol has no effect on serum (blood) cholesterol.

Eggs also contain moderate amounts of saturated fat. The lipid hypothesis, which links saturated fat to serum cholesterol (and to heart disease) has been hotly debated. Just this year, we're beginning to see most mainstream nutrition experts who are cited in the media begin to say what "ancestral health" affiliated nutritionists have been saying for years. Which is to say that the lipid hypothesis just isn't supported by the evidence. But in any case, anyone can get some bloodwork done as he tweaks his diet. Most Atkins dieters eat truly staggering amounts of eggs (because they're cheaper than most protein sources), and they almost always cut their serum cholesterol dramatically.

Whew. I was gonna say..... I eat a dozen eggs per week and my cholesterol was 171 on my last physical.

Gained 3 pounds since I changed my lifting routine to sets of 5. I have been getting stronger because the weight I have been lifting is increasing. But I hate seeing the weight gain because I have been eating at a calorie deficit. Everywhere I read says it's impossible to gain muscle while at calorie deficit. So in my head I'm gaining fat. I need to start taking measurements.

Don't sweat this. 3 pounds is nothing. You could have been dehydrated during your last weigh in and lifting heavy sets does not cause you to hit your glycogen stores so you retain more water. (At least that is the theory)

Are you doing a pure stronglift5x5 or are you doing your own designed program?

I'm doing 3x5 with some isolation exercises. Plus I run 3 miles 3-4 times a week.

Upperbody days.

Bench 3x5 currently at 220.

Arm curls. 3x5 at 40 per arm

Incline barbell at 70 per arm.

Triceps 3x5 at 95

Lat pull downs 3x5 at 105

Row 3x5 150

Cleans 3x5 105

Curls again at 3x5 40

200 crunches.

Legs.

Squats 3x5 at 245

Leg press 3x5 at 505

Leg extension 3x5 at 180ish

Leg curl 3x5 at 160

Calfs 1 set to failure 30 or so reps at 205

Dead lift 3x5 at 280.

3x10 cable twists at 50 lbs.

Edited by gadkins

are you kicking back tris at 95? damn brah. cannons much?

Thanks, MAC.

I may not be as far off as I think I am based on your lists, I just have cheat days every other day it seems. I'll have a few beers a week, but rarely more than one at night.

Bagels are another big vice of mine that I think I need to cut back on. I've been loving scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, and salsa for breakfast lately. Much better than a bacon egg and cheese bagel. I LOVE eggs. They better not be bad news or I'm ######.

Biggest thing, like you said, will be marathon training when I'm running for 6hrs a week. Eating clean to support that level of activity will be tough.

I kind of screwed today up. Ate 1065cal between breakfast, lunch, and post workout shake. I ran an 8 miler burning 1022. I was really dragging ### this afternoon. Our basement flooded last night thanks to that stupid storm so I was running on fumes.

Type of bagel is very important ;)

My wife makes a killer bacon, egg, and cheese everything bagel but we might have that once every other week. Usually just use cream cheese, not nearly as bad for you and really helps to add up the morning calorie count, burn it off with the run later in the day.

Eggs are all about moderation. I love eggs too. It depends who you ask, but somewhere between 3 and 5 per week seems to be the sweet spot. The egg, turkey sausage, and salsa dish looks like a winner too. If it's store bought salsa just be mindful of the overall salt intake.

3-5 per week? FML :sadbanana:

We are Costco/Kirkland fans.... Love their salsa. Yep, loaded with salt. The one thing that has jumped out at me with using MFP is the amount of sodium in everything. :shock:

And lack of potassium...

Potassium is underreported on MFP. Many people when they report things into MFP do it manually and omit it.

I find that to be the biggest problem with MFP. Too many users haphazardly enter nutritional data and it is often way off base. The way I have overcome that problem are: 1) Referencing http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ frequently and 2) eating a lot of the same meals & snacks over and over.

That NDB site is incredibly helpful but it can add a layer of complexity to keeping a food journal (but you should if you want it to be accurate) fortunately repeating foods & meals helps make up for that additional time.

Whew. I was gonna say..... I eat a dozen eggs per week and my cholesterol was 171 on my last physical.

That's low (actually it is borderline too low). If you can find at your last chol report divide the Total Cholesterol by HDL cholesterol if the number is below 5 (the lower the better) then you are solid, if it's over 5 you should look into making some lifestyle changes to boost HDL.

I don't think that is entirely correct, I thought the research demonstrated that dietary cholesterol didn't move the needle "significantly" which, as you know, in scientific terms likely means that the findings apply on a population level but not necessarily on an individual level (similar to BMI).

FTR I think eggs are awesome and for most people should be eaten without concern.

I don't think that is entirely correct, I thought the research demonstrated that dietary cholesterol didn't move the needle "significantly" which, as you know, in scientific terms likely means that the findings apply on a population level but not necessarily on an individual level (similar to BMI).

To be more precise according to the latest research that I've found. Foods high in dietary cholesterol have no effect on serum cholesterol in about 2/3 of the population. About 1/3 of the population are so-called "hyper-responders." But even the hyper-responders don't experience an actual worse lipid profile.

What happens for this 1/3 of the population is that HDL ("good cholesterol") and LDL ("bad cholesterol") increase at about the same rate. But when we speak about the "bad cholesterol" increasing, what's really happening.is that the LDL is transforming from small-dense LDL particles (the "bad bad cholesterol") into larger more buoyant LDL (the "not-so-bad bad cholesterol"). So among hyper-responders, what happens is an increase in beneficial lipids.

That's low (actually it is borderline too low). If you can find at your last chol report divide the Total Cholesterol by HDL cholesterol if the number is below 5 (the lower the better) then you are solid, if it's over 5 you should look into making some lifestyle changes to boost HDL.

I lost my dad to a heart attack (he had 5 of them) 13yrs ago. A huge motivator for me is to not repeat history.

They gave me that ratio too (cardiac risk ratio), which was a 3 (they said 3.5-5 is ideal). 56 HDL and 102 LDL. Cholesterol level 170. Doing the math, its really a 3.29; no idea why they rounded.

I was estatic when I got my last physical. I attribute all of it to running, since I don't eat as well as I think I should be eating.

Its been posted here before but there's a ton of potassium in V8. I'm trying to get in the habit of drinking one of the low sodium little cans a day

Its been posted here before but there's a ton of potassium in V8. I'm trying to get in the habit of drinking one of the low sodium little cans a day

Hmmmmmm... I always figured that anything that's a shortcut like V8 had to be no bueno. Is V8 really a viable option?

Hmmmmmm... I always figured that anything that's a shortcut like V8 had to be no bueno. Is V8 really a viable option?

These guys are all in weight loss mode, but it doesn't sound like you need to watch calories or anything. You can eat bananas and nuts and other high-potassium foods that aren't low-calorie foods.

Potential acid reflux and your favorite problem, salt. And, yeah, since it's processed you don't get the full nutritional aspect of actual, raw vegetables, but from what I've read in the past you still get quite a bit actually.

Personally, I think it tastes like ####, but if you can stomach it...

These guys are all in weight loss mode, but it doesn't sound like you need to watch calories or anything. You can eat bananas and nuts and other high-potassium foods that aren't low-calorie foods.

It takes two full size bananas to get 900mg of potassium. That's how much is in one of those little cans.

MFP wants me to consume 3500mg of potassium...so there's plenty of room for nuts, v8, bananas and everything else imaginable. I don't think I've ever hit that number.

I wouldn't concern yourself too much with micromanaging your micro-nutrients.

So one of those Egg Council creeps got to you too, huh?

(Sorry, I just think we're all slipping a little since nobody's worked that one in yet).

• Like 1

:goodposting:

This is really two threads now. There are the people who are just trying to lose weight, and the people who are trying to get a six-pack / biceps / BQ. These are probably different universes as far as diet goes.

There was a case study involving an 88-year-old man who'd eaten two dozen eggs every day for a few decades. His cholesterol was fine.

I wouldn't recommend that any more than I'd recommend the diet of the guy who's eaten 25,000 Big Macs, or the guy who eats nothing but pizza. But to each his own.

In larger studies, I don't know of any that used more than three eggs a day. But the results have always been perfectly good, so at least up to three eggs a day seems fine.

I know someone taking a course on nutrition in nursing school, and her teacher thinks that eggs are pretty much the worst food ever.

It takes two full size bananas to get 900mg of potassium. That's how much is in one of those little cans.

A medium potato has about that much as well, and a single avocado has a bit more than that.

This is really two threads now. There are the people who are just trying to lose weight, and the people who are trying to get a six-pack / biceps / BQ. These are probably different universes as far as diet goes.

absolutely true, but those trying to lose would likely be more successful if they were more mindful of what hey ate and not just how much. Approaching it as a lifestyle change is usually more successful than just dieting. Dieters yo yo and often feel terrible as they lose weight because of what they actually consume, diet and off diet. Make the wholesale change and your percentages of hitting your goal and maintaining are so much stronger.

A medium potato has about that much as well, and a single avocado has a bit more than that.

Why dont potatoes get more love?

They are highest on the saitiety scale, they have lots of potassium, high in fiber and can be quite tasty. .

They are highest on the saitiety scale, they have lots of potassium, high in fiber and can be quite tasty. .

because that and their price are about all they are good for, ti make them have flavor they really need doctored up.

Also terrific amounts of resistant starch if you eat them cooled (e.g., in potato salad).

Also terrific amounts of resistant starch if you eat them cooled (e.g., in potato salad).

So are you on board with the whole resistant starch thing?

And don't you need to eat a ton of foods high in resistant starch to make it worth while?

And don't you need to eat a ton of foods high in resistant starch to make it worth while?

I think the resistant starch hype is justified. I think it can really improve gut health, digestion, and immune function, and it seems to have very impressive effects in reducing blood glucose and improving insulin sensitivity.

It's not just resistant starch that's a big deal. It's prebiotics and probiotics generally. Here's a good talk on why. We have about ten times as many microbial cells as we do human cells in our bodies, and they play a huge role in immune function and overall health. The fact that we've failed in recent decades to keep them well fed may go a long way to explaining the increase in allergies and auto-immune disorders.

Fruit and vegetable fiber in general is really important, IMO, and resistant starch acts like a particularly beneficial form of prebiotic fiber. So does inulin (e.g., in chicory root), pectin (e.g., in apples), glucomannan (e.g., in konjac root), and various fructooligosaccharides (e.g., in yacon syrup).

I don't think it's all that hard to get a good amount of resistant starch in your regular diet. Have a few underripe bananans, or some sushi, or some jicama, or some plantain chips (which are quite tasty), or some potato salad, or some lentil soup, or some chili with beans . . .

Or if you can't get enough resistant starch in your diet, a couple tablespoons a day of potato starch or mung bean starch dissolved in water as a supplement will do the trick.

As an added bonus, you'll fart like crazy for a week or two until your gut bacteria adjust.

You can reheat them via a dry cooking method and not lose RS. In fact reheating and cooling creates even more RS than just cooking and cooling.

Not really. Many are trying to bulk clean. As much ad that is practical. A clean bulk and a cut really is only separated by total calories.

Tons of B6 in potatoes too. A higher RDA% than potassium. Comparable phytonutrients to broccoli. The skins are very alkaline and can settle or prevent an acidic stomach. The more I get into alkaline food bs, the more I'm starting to buy some of it. Since taking the potassium bicarbonate mineral drinks (1000mg K in a glass), I've dropped my gout meds with no issues. Considering I've been ketogenic (a major nono for gout) I'm impressed. It's common for me to get 5000+mg K per day. I know too much is dangerous but that starts over 10k.

I've now done the 5 mile run thing twice a week for three weeks. I'm very pleased with my progress: I'm not sure I've ever been better at running in my life. Last night, I did it in just under 49 minutes. I had really consistent splits (all between 9:28 and 9:56), which is a little weird since I took 3 90 second walk breaks during the file miles (I guess they straddled miles 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4).

I'm starting to get a little bit of knee/leg pain, but so far nothing too severe. Hopefully by limiting myself to doing this twice a week, that's not too much strain.

I think the resistant starch hype is justified. I think it can really improve gut health, digestion, and immune function, and it seems to have very impressive effects in reducing blood glucose and improving insulin sensitivity.

It's not just resistant starch that's a big deal. It's prebiotics and probiotics generally. Here's a good talk on why. We have about ten times as many microbial cells as we do human cells in our bodies, and they play a huge role in immune function and overall health. The fact that we've failed in recent decades to keep them well fed may go a long way to explaining the increase in allergies and auto-immune disorders.

Fruit and vegetable fiber in general is really important, IMO, and resistant starch acts like a particularly beneficial form of prebiotic fiber. So does inulin (e.g., in chicory root), pectin (e.g., in apples), glucomannan (e.g., in konjac root), and various fructooligosaccharides (e.g., in yacon syrup).

I don't think it's all that hard to get a good amount of resistant starch in your regular diet. Have a few underripe bananans, or some sushi, or some jicama, or some plantain chips (which are quite tasty), or some potato salad, or some lentil soup, or some chili with beans . . .

Or if you can't get enough resistant starch in your diet, a couple tablespoons a day of potato starch or mung bean starch dissolved in water as a supplement will do the trick.

As an added bonus, you'll fart like crazy for a week or two until your gut bacteria adjust.

I have been on board with probiotics for a long time, I eat natto, saurkraut & kombucha pretty much every day. I started with potato starch (mixed with soda water) a couple months back although I am not sure if it is doing anything. No problem with gas either, not even the first day, which makes me think my gut flora were doing just fine prior to starting potato starch.

I am getting some blood work on Tuesday, maybe that will show something different from my last round.

Edited by Chaka

I've now done the 5 mile run thing twice a week for three weeks. I'm very pleased with my progress: I'm not sure I've ever been better at running in my life. Last night, I did it in just under 49 minutes. I had really consistent splits (all between 9:28 and 9:56), which is a little weird since I took 3 90 second walk breaks during the file miles (I guess they straddled miles 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4).

I'm starting to get a little bit of knee/leg pain, but so far nothing too severe. Hopefully by limiting myself to doing this twice a week, that's not too much strain.

What shoes do you wear when you run? Old sneakers that you had laying around anyway (bad)? Or something that somebody who knows what they're doing recommended for your foot shape (good)?

Don't skimp on running shoes. You don't have to buy the most expensive pair you can find, which may not be best for you anyway. But do make sure you're wearing something with proper form and cushioning. If you're doing this already, feel free to disregard. Just trying to be helpful.

• Like 1

What shoes do you wear when you run? Old sneakers that you had laying around anyway (bad)? Or something that somebody who knows what they're doing recommended for your foot shape (good)?

Don't skimp on running shoes. You don't have to buy the most expensive pair you can find, which may not be best for you anyway. But do make sure you're wearing something with proper form and cushioning. If you're doing this already, feel free to disregard. Just trying to be helpful.

:goodposting: this can't be stressed enough.

I busted ### yesterday.

Jogged a mile then jog / walk / sprint intervaled for another 2.5

Ton of yard work

Then played a round of golf. Took a cart, but made a point to let the buddy drive the cart so I could walk as much as possible

Was 1/2 in the bag when I got dropped off afterwards and proceeded to eat everything I could get my hands on.

From what I remember

A bowl and a half of chicken tortilla soup

About 3 servings of those new cheesy garlic bread potato chips (these things are so ridiculously good)

2 servings of flaming hot Cheetos

8 slices of various cancer riddled deli meat

2 pieces of cheese

Had to be a 1500-2000 calorie frenzy.

Yesterday was a new low for me, 211.

Now I'm afraid to even go close to the scale.

Certain there's an extra 2-3 pounds on me.

:bag:

Thanks. I bought a pair of Asics that the guy at the store told me were light weight and good for running, but admittedly, I don't know much about sneakers.

Thanks. I bought a pair of Asics that the guy at the store told me were light weight and good for running, but admittedly, I don't know much about sneakers.

There are different kinds of running shoes. If you're going to keep up any sort of running, I'd strongly suggest going to get fitted for shoes at a running store.

This will give you a better idea also, but nothing beats a trained eye to see how your feet are pronating.

Here's a good article on pronation.

Anybody else getting into the Oscar Meyer P3s? Love these things- cheap, quick and easy.

*I fully understand that deli meats are the devil.

Definitely get fitted if you're going to keep running Chase. Every foot and every shoe is different. The wrong shoe is a receive for an injury, you may even get some technique pointers from your shoe guy if he is real good.

1.4 pounds, post morning dump. And what a dump it was.

History tells me I'll probably see another pound or so tomorrow.

Ouch. I read somewhere last week a great way to enjoy high intensity intervals is going up very steep hills/mountains. You're outside in the fresh air, you get to enjoy the view from on top, etc. I chose one near the community college where a buddy was meeting me at 8 for tennis. Jeebus that hill kicked my ###. It's my new white whale. I'm conquering that ###### before the desert heat makes it foolish to try. 95 degrees here today. 20 minutes hitting the ball and I told my gb I had to go home, shower and sleep. I've been out of ketosis for a couple days, 5 pounds of water came back. This will be a two day Cinco de Mayo celebration around here so bring on the tacos and cervesa.

Edited by Chaos Commish

Ouch. I read somewhere last week a great way to enjoy high intensity intervals is going up very steep hills/mountains. You're outside in the fresh air, you get to enjoy the view from on top, etc. I chose one near the community college where a buddy was meeting me at 8 for tennis. Jeebus that hill kicked my ###. It's my new white whale. I'm conquering that ###### before the desert heat makes it foolish to try. 95 degrees here today. 20 minutes hitting the ball and I told my gb I had to go home, shower and sleep. I've been out of ketosis for a couple days, 5 pounds of water came back. This will be a two day Cinco de Mayo celebration around here so bring on the tacos and cervesa.

oh hell yes. One of my favorite workouts is see a hill, sprint to the top, walk til you catch your breath, then slow jog until you reach the next hill. Kill that hill.

I eat a dozen of eggs a week (just me) and I also have below "normal" level of cholesterol. There is "good" (HDL) vs. "bad" (LDL) cholesterol. Maybe it is hereditary but you can cut down on # of egg yolks if you're scared.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol-levels/art-20048245

I busted ### yesterday.

Ton of yard work

Then played a round of golf. Took a cart, but made a point to let the buddy drive the cart so I could walk as much as possible

Was 1/2 in the bag when I got dropped off afterwards and proceeded to eat everything I could get my hands on.

From what I remember

About 3 servings of those new cheesy garlic bread potato chips (these things are so ridiculously good)

2 pieces of cheese

Oof.

I have tried swimming/walking everyday but I found the one thing that helps me the most is to keep processed food to the minimal. It is most likely not beer that gives people beer belly.

BTW, you just set yourself up for failure if you stock up on junk food every time you go to the supermarket. If the junk is there, Limp Ditka will come.

Edited by Rohn Jambo

I busted ### yesterday.

Ton of yard work

From what I remember

2 pieces of cheese

Oof.

I have tried swimming/walking everyday but I found the one thing that helps me the most is to keep processed food to the minimal. It is most likely not beer that gives people beer belly.

BTW, you just set yourself up for failure if you stock up on junk food every time you go to the supermarket. If the junk is there, Limp Ditka will come.

soup wasn't bad and I was probably still around my calorie goal for the day at that point. It was everything else. The crap (chips / cheetos) is more around for the kid's school lunch and when his friends come by.

And I've been at this for about 2 1/4 years with that stuff around the house. It usually doesn't swoo me with it's siren song. Maybe once every 4-5 weeks I dive into it and there's usually alcohol involved when it happens.

I busted ### yesterday.

Ton of yard work

From what I remember

2 pieces of cheese

Oof.

soup wasn't bad and I was probably still around my calorie goal for the day at that point. It was everything else. The crap (chips / cheetos) is more around for the kid's school lunch and when his friends come by.

And I've been at this for about 2 1/4 years with that stuff around the house. It usually doesn't swoo me with it's siren song. Maybe once every 4-5 weeks I dive into it and there's usually alcohol involved when it happens.

Great, you feed the kids crap. Alcoholics say the something... I only fall off the wagon once a month.