What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1 (2 Viewers)

Not a diet question, but I know there are some fitnessguys in here. Anybody have any good exercises for stregnthening elbow joints?
How much forearm PT have you done?
The extent of my forearm training is bouldering on the holds I have anchored to the wall in my basement and using this as one of my main fitness goals has been to get back into rock climbing. If doing more forearm work will help my elbows I am very open to suggestions. I am experiencing elbow pain during pushups, bar dips, tricep extensions etc. Figured something must be weaker.

I experience no pain during pull ups, curls, etc.

Not a diet question, but I know there are some fitnessguys in here. Anybody have any good exercises for stregnthening elbow joints?
The extent of my forearm training is bouldering on the holds I have anchored to the wall in my basement and using this as one of my main fitness goals has been to get back into rock climbing. If doing more forearm work will help my elbows I am very open to suggestions. I am experiencing elbow pain during pushups, bar dips, tricep extensions etc. Figured something must be weaker.

In general, elbow pain on tri work is tackled first by forearm work. For the other exercises drop either the weights and up reps, or don't go the full range of motion. Failing that you'll have to shut down for 4-6 weeks.

I often experience aches and pains and unless it's super painful, I typically just push through For example, my elbows used to kill me when I curled and did pull-ups. I just worked through as best I could and it eventually went away.

Ouch. I read somewhere last week a great way to enjoy high intensity intervals is going up very steep hills/mountains. You're outside in the fresh air, you get to enjoy the view from on top, etc. I chose one near the community college where a buddy was meeting me at 8 for tennis. Jeebus that hill kicked my ###. It's my new white whale. I'm conquering that ###### before the desert heat makes it foolish to try. 95 degrees here today. 20 minutes hitting the ball and I told my gb I had to go home, shower and sleep. I've been out of ketosis for a couple days, 5 pounds of water came back. This will be a two day Cinco de Mayo celebration around here so bring on the tacos and cervesa.
oh hell yes. One of my favorite workouts is see a hill, sprint to the top, walk til you catch your breath, then slow jog until you reach the next hill. Kill that hill.
I am pleased to have dumped ten pounds since joining this thread. I seem to be maintaining 190 between 2000 and 2700 calories a day. I gave up steady cardio years ago when hiit gave me better results (fat loss, lean mass gains) and seemed to spare my back and feet. My cardio sucks though. This hill has been an eye opener. I have a 50 year old female walking/running partner who scurries to the top, leaving me in the dust, lungs gasping, heart near exploding. ####. I guess I have to try distance running and hope being lighter than I've been in decades avoids the reasons I gave it up.

The enemy in view.

It has a name.

About 1/2 way is my personal best.

see my car

Last edited by a moderator:
parasaurolophus said:
culdeus said:
parasaurolophus said:

Warming up is a big part of it. I go super light on my warmup sets, and do 25-30 reps. Then I increase the weight a little bit, and do another set. I'll usually do 3 warmup sets for triceps, 1 for everything else, just because of elbow pain.

Dips in particular give me issues. I can do 20+ dips, but even if I'm doing dips at the end of my triceps workout, the first few reps of dips always hurts. I assume if it hurts, that's not good, so what I do now is one set of dips where I keep my feet on the bottom of the machine. These are super easy, obviously, but I do about 10 reps of those, wait 2 minutes, and then do a real set. That way, it doesn't hurt on the first 'set' and by the second set, it doesn't hurt because I'm warmed up.

Yeah, it's a shame that we're still reading flawed explanations for the success of low carb diets. Because low carb diets do work. They don't need magic woo. Keerock is rocking his low carb diet. But we can look at his MFP diaries and see that he's also eating a low calorie diet. Obviously, whatever diet he's on, he's managing to control his hunger and maintain a healthy caloric deficit. But it's probably not due to an insulin shortage.

Yeah, it's a shame that we're still reading flawed explanations for the success of low carb diets. Because low carb diets do work. They don't need magic woo. Keerock is rocking his low carb diet. But we can look at his MFP diaries and see that he's also eating a low calorie diet. Obviously, whatever diet he's on, he's managing to control his hunger and maintain a healthy caloric deficit. But it's probably not due to an insulin shortage.
So what makes one flawed vs. another? I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but the things I read about LCHF/Keto make sense, and are working very well for me. I've done strictly low-cal in the past (much lower than I'm doing now) and have never had this kind of success. I guess I don't care why it's working (although I'm interested in learning)... but it's working.

So what makes one flawed vs. another? I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but the things I read about LCHF/Keto make sense, and are working very well for me. I've done strictly low-cal in the past (much lower than I'm doing now) and have never had this kind of success. I guess I don't care why it's working (although I'm interested in learning)... but it's working.
Culdeus' link does a very good job marshaling the evidence against the insulin-based hypothesis for gaining fat. In short, insulin (unlike blood sugar) isn't associated with increased appetite. Protein has been shown to raise insulin levels as much, if not more than, carbohydrate. And there's no evidence that you can only store fat when insulin is elevated.

A more modest article might have simply pointed out that dieters eating a relatively high proportion of protein compared to carbohydrates tend to experience less deprivation compared to those receiving the same caloric load in a high carbohydrate/low fat diet. That's not a new insight. Bariatric doctors have been putting obese people on protein-sparing modified fasts for at least 30 years.

The only thing these guys lack is noting that fact that in a keto state you are eating perhaps as much as 50% of calories from fat, or higher. Fat is one of the few things that both has no insulin response and also delays the insulin secretion in response to protein, specifically.

The guy in the weightology link just dismisses this type of diet as unsustainable (uses olive oil as his example).

He needs to explain a little better using his hypothesis how one cuts so much fat in keto state and set aside insulin parameters. He goes to the Type1 Diabetic well a lot, but most people now point to a keto diet as a "cure" for that state. It's a hole and he dodges it.

I would also like him to address the GMOD (Gallon of milk a day) crowd.

The only thing these guys lack is noting that fact that in a keto state you are eating perhaps as much as 50% of calories from fat, or higher. Fat is one of the few things that both has no insulin response and also delays the insulin secretion in response to protein, specifically.

The guy in the weightology link just dismisses this type of diet as unsustainable (uses olive oil as his example).

He needs to explain a little better using his hypothesis how one cuts so much fat in keto state and set aside insulin parameters. He goes to the Type1 Diabetic well a lot, but most people now point to a keto diet as a "cure" for that state. It's a hole and he dodges it.

Krieger doesn't dismiss low carb dieting. He advises it for those too obese to exercise vigorously. He cheered me on a few years ago when I was ketogenic. And gave me excellent advice on transitioning as I became light enough to increase the workouts. He is a thermogenicsguy first though. The olive oil example is just one comment. He is pointing out correctly, I think, how easy it is to generate an energy surplus with high fat dieting.

He has discussed gomad (subscriber content), but the gist of that is briefly covered in the link (comments).

I think you’ve hit on the concept of energy density here. Many high-fat dairy products (like whole milk and cheese) are extremely energy dense. On top of that, you’re dealing with liquid calories versus solid calories in terms of the full-fat milk, which will not be as satiating. So in this sense, I would agree that dairy can promote weight gain. Myself, I use low fat and non-fat dairy products so this tends not to be an issue for me.
Dairy promoting weight loss in the research he cites is always non fat. I am moving in that direction noticing every time I use full fat milk I put on some weight. Cheese will never be a non fat food for me, but I have no problem with milk and yogurt.

Since this crowd is part paleo/low carb my comments may not be well received but it is calories in the end and maintenance is a ##### with full fat dairy. I've also nixed pork for almost 2 months and feeling good about it.

It was these pieces by paleo sympathizer Dr. Jaminet that made me decide to try going porkless

three

part

series

It hasn't been as bad as it sounds because I skip breakfast so bacon, my biggest worry, has been easy to avoid. I'm pretty sure I'll be smoking ribs soon though. I'll treat pork the same as I've treated booze for years. If I'm indulging, I'm going for the good stuff, so organic pastured blabla is what I'll eat.

Full-fat dairy is excellent for weight gain. That's what it's designed for. It's to help infant mammals grow quickly.

I don't know where milk would rank in the satiety index because it wasn't included on its own. Cheese appears to be fairly satiating, but it doesn't say in the table whether the cheese they used was full-fat (and I don't have access to the full paper -- although I'm certain I've found it before).

Processed cereals with milk don't appear to be any more satiating than processed grain products generally (for example, cookies and crackers appear to be slightly more satiating than corn flakes with milk), suggesting that milk may not be very satiating; but again, the table doesn't indicate whether the milk they used is full-fat.

It was these pieces by paleo sympathizer Dr. Jaminet that made me decide to try going porkless

three

part

series

It hasn't been as bad as it sounds because I skip breakfast so bacon, my biggest worry, has been easy to avoid. I'm pretty sure I'll be smoking ribs soon though. I'll treat pork the same as I've treated booze for years. If I'm indulging, I'm going for the good stuff, so organic pastured blabla is what I'll eat.
I just hope i am right that they can't control for processed vs unprocessed pork. Something really bad seems to happen when you cure pork. And I typically get mine from a local farm but lately have gotten lazy about that. Need to get back on that wagon.

Krieger doesn't dismiss low carb dieting. He advises it for those too obese to exercise vigorously. He cheered me on a few years ago when I was ketogenic. And gave me excellent advice on transitioning as I became light enough to increase the workouts. He is a thermogenicsguy first though. The olive oil example is just one comment. He is pointing out correctly, I think, how easy it is to generate an energy surplus with high fat dieting.

He has discussed gomad (subscriber content), but the gist of that is briefly covered in the link (comments).

I think you’ve hit on the concept of energy density here. Many high-fat dairy products (like whole milk and cheese) are extremely energy dense. On top of that, you’re dealing with liquid calories versus solid calories in terms of the full-fat milk, which will not be as satiating. So in this sense, I would agree that dairy can promote weight gain. Myself, I use low fat and non-fat dairy products so this tends not to be an issue for me.
Dairy promoting weight loss in the research he cites is always non fat. I am moving in that direction noticing every time I use full fat milk I put on some weight. Cheese will never be a non fat food for me, but I have no problem with milk and yogurt.

Since this crowd is part paleo/low carb my comments may not be well received but it is calories in the end and maintenance is a ##### with full fat dairy. I've also nixed pork for almost 2 months and feeling good about it.
He needs to update his info set. He constantly discusses diabetes and now with all the literature on ketobetics out there it needs to be folded in.

I do get that a controlled study where you hold a ketobetic at bmr is not practical except in a hospital setting. That would be the "killer" study in my mind

I may of found a great diet!!! My wife and I are always trying to figure out what's for dinner. So we decided to join EZ Meals.com. They provide a dinner menu for 7 days a week, with a grocery list and cooking instructions. We chose the clean eating plan, but they have other plans including low carb. I lost 2 pounds last week. What I have done, is we make a dinner at night and then I take the leftovers for lunch the next day. The meals have been delicious.

Who do you (you too Maurile) use for grassfed/pastured products in SD?
Homegrown Meats in La Jolla has a lot of good grass-fed meats (including offal).

Organic Pastures (raw, grass-fed) diary products are sold at Sprouts and Jimbo's. St. Benoit (pasteurized, grass-fed) milk is sold at Whole Foods. St. Benoit yogurt is the best I've ever had, but I've only seen it at Jimbo's.

I have seen eggs at a number of farmer's markets, but none were truly pastured. Vital Farms eggs (from Texas) are carried at Whole Foods, Sprouts, Jimbo's. There's a more local brand of pastured eggs sometimes carried at Jonathan's in La Jolla, but I forget the name of the farm.

It's easy to find good seafood around here as well, of course.

Who do you (you too Maurile) use for grassfed/pastured products in SD?
Homegrown Meats in La Jolla has a lot of good grass-fed meats (including offal).

Organic Pastures (raw, grass-fed) diary products are sold at Sprouts and Jimbo's. St. Benoit (pasteurized, grass-fed) milk is sold at Whole Foods. St. Benoit yogurt is the best I've ever had, but I've only seen it at Jimbo's.

I have seen eggs at a number of farmer's markets, but none were truly pastured. Vital Farms eggs (from Texas) are carried at Whole Foods, Sprouts, Jimbo's. There's a more local brand of pastured eggs sometimes carried at Jonathan's in La Jolla, but I forget the name of the farm.

It's easy to find good seafood around here as well, of course.
I am a fan of both Son Rise and Homegrown Meats. Homegrown is a sister company of Rimel's restaurants and we probably eat there 2-3 times/month. While I don't like that their salmon is farmed, they always have a local wild caught fresh catch, Homegrown Meats burgers and their sides are excellent, wok seared veggies, non-dairy based cole slaw, black beans etc. It really makes for one of the easiest healthy restaurant meals you could hope for.

1) Is skipping breakfast still ok?

2) Is there a good meal replacement shake that doesn't taste horrible and is decent for me that I could take to work for lunch?

When I was doing Insanity (feels like a lifetime ago) I was always intrigued by their offering, but never pulled the trigger. Not sure if it is what I should be looking for though. :shrug:

I was trying to estimate calories burned playing golf for myfitnesspal and I have no clue what to use. I used a cart, but I mixed in a decent amount of walking rather than just pulling the cart up to the ball every time. However, I can't see how it burns many calories.

Any thoughts?

I was trying to estimate calories burned playing golf for myfitnesspal and I have no clue what to use. I used a cart, but I mixed in a decent amount of walking rather than just pulling the cart up to the ball every time. However, I can't see how it burns many calories.

Any thoughts?
They have something on there that estimates cart golf. It's like 450 cals for 18 holes. It's really quite a bit of walking even in a cart. And it takes like 4 hours.

2) Is there a good meal replacement shake that doesn't taste horrible and is decent for me that I could take to work for lunch?

When I was doing Insanity (feels like a lifetime ago) I was always intrigued by their offering, but never pulled the trigger. Not sure if it is what I should be looking for though. :shrug:
You mean shakeology? It's really expensive, but not the worst option in the world.

Culdeus, what are your thoughts on intermittent fasting? I've been reading things lately where they say moving all of your food intake into an 8 hour period is beneficial to weight loss.

Optimum Nutrition Whey powder is really tasty with decent macros. I just bought some Cellucor cinnamon swirl which is really good but almost too sweet.

Culdeus, what are your thoughts on intermittent fasting? I've been reading things lately where they say moving all of your food intake into an 8 hour period is beneficial to weight loss.
It might be beneficial to fat loss because it makes hitting macros easier. I am still of the opinion that IF, like many deprivation diets work towards the benefit of weight loss because it becomes more difficult to eat to maintenance when you remove certain food groups, macros, or time of day in which you consume food.

That being said the fact that people are comparing 2 meal vs 5 meal plans and finding 2 meal plans "better" is not that shocking to me.

Starting a day off with an egg or two would still be my recommendation. 1 egg + 1 scoop of casein in almond milk maybe even better.

It might be beneficial to fat loss because it makes hitting macros easier. I am still of the opinion that IF, like many deprivation diets work towards the benefit of weight loss because it becomes more difficult to eat to maintenance when you remove certain food groups, macros, or time of day in which you consume food.

That being said the fact that people are comparing 2 meal vs 5 meal plans and finding 2 meal plans "better" is not that shocking to me.

Starting a day off with an egg or two would still be my recommendation. 1 egg + 1 scoop of casein in almond milk maybe even better.
:hifive:

My current regiment is 2 hard boiled eggs with coffee for breakfast, and an ON protein shake for lunch. Then a normal dinner. Problem is with the chaos in our home lately I've been drinking to a stupor at night and snacking like crazy. Once life gets back in order so will that. Then I'll be golden.

IIRC, people here are pretty down on juice cleanses, right?

The gf wants to go on one and thinks it would be more "fun" if we did it together. Thoughts on something like this? Or is this the thing Otis did and quit after 2 hours?

https://www.livingsocial.com/cities/231-nyc-downtown/deals/1138427-three-day-juice-cleanse-with-18-juices-and-more?afsrc=1&city_name=NYC+Downtown&cvosrc=email.blast.digest_dailyus&utm_campaign=digest_dailyus&utm_content=231&utm_medium=email&utm_source=blast

The gf wants to go on one and thinks it would be more "fun" if we did it together. Thoughts on something like this? Or is this the thing Otis did and quit after 2 hours?

https://www.livingsocial.com/cities/231-nyc-downtown/deals/1138427-three-day-juice-cleanse-with-18-juices-and-more?afsrc=1&city_name=NYC+Downtown&cvosrc=email.blast.digest_dailyus&utm_campaign=digest_dailyus&utm_content=231&utm_medium=email&utm_source=blast
Seems like a big waste of money to me.

Marks take on it

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/are-detoxes-and-cleanses-safe-and-effective/#axzz32GUN4ldI

Don't do it, brah.

Nothing fun about it, you doing it with her will keep her motivated to stay on it and not say f it.

Keep eating well and exercise, you will be fine. And not miserable like you would be on a juice cleanse.

Wife decided she wanted to tone up and lose those last 5 pounds. She bought t25 focus or whatever it's called. Decided to do it with her. Day 1 was yesterday. I already wish I were dead

Wife decided she wanted to tone up and lose those last 5 pounds. She bought t25 focus or whatever it's called. Decided to do it with her. Day 1 was yesterday. I already wish I were dead
I have this. Keep at it and if you really want to shed the pounds when you're done, do the fully Insanity program. That might very well kill you.

I have this. Keep at it and if you really want to shed the pounds when you're done, do the fully Insanity program. That might very well kill you.
i have insanity and the original p90x. I just don't have an hour plus to workout anymore. I have about 15 to go so this should be fine

i have insanity and the original p90x. I just don't have an hour plus to workout anymore. I have about 15 to go so this should be fine
Agreed. Just throwing it out there in case you weren't aware. t25 is a great cardio workout in and of itself.

Agreed. Just throwing it out there in case you weren't aware. t25 is a great cardio workout in and of itself.
thanks...i used to be in super shape all throughout college then yo yo for the next 16 years. Get in good shape get fat good shape fat. I was 2 months into p90x and really hurt my back. Now have so many issues I didn't lift for a long time. I am in awful cardiovascular shape so hopefully this will be 2 fold.I'm not following the diet exactly but am watching my intake.

:thumbup:

thanks...i used to be in super shape all throughout college then you for the next 16 years. Get in good shape get fat good shape fat. I was 2 months into p90x and really hurt my back. Now have so many issues I didn't lift for a long time. I am in awful cardiovascular shape so hopefully this will be 2 fold.I'm not following the diet exactly but am watching my intake.

Trying to decide if this is an example of the "then/than" pet peeve.

thanks...i used to be in super shape all throughout college then you for the next 16 years. Get in good shape get fat good shape fat. I was 2 months into p90x and really hurt my back. Now have so many issues I didn't lift for a long time. I am in awful cardiovascular shape so hopefully this will be 2 fold.I'm not following the diet exactly but am watching my intake.

Trying to decide if this is an example of the "then/than" pet peeve.
Lol autocorrect changed yo yo to you

Insanity is on another level from T25. Where insanity just adds on more workload in the back half T25 adds on weights which imo is better. From the beachbody stuff I think insanity is best done in concert with something that adds weight training as part of it's core.

I mean any of the insanity warmups are harder than the T25 alpha level classes.

With BiggieHole coming up, I guess it's time for a State of the Scoob check-in.

First the baseline. February 27, when I started logging on MFP.

Weight -- 280

Waistline -- 46" Jos A. Bank dress pants (snug), 40" super relaxed Lucky brand jeans (very snug, I was literally "too fat to buy jeans in Georgetown") or 46" relaxed fit Old Navy (comfortable)

Shirts -- XXL

Health -- Persistent heartburn and GERD, apnea

Fitness: -- None. Climbing stairs was taxing.

Today

Weight -- 243 (goal for BiggieHole was 240, not looking good to make it, but I may weigh after a run just to trick myself)

Waistline -- 38" Jos. A Bank (comfortable, 36s are snug); 36" relaxed Lucky jeans (comfortable) 36" button fly Lucky Jeans (snug)

Shirts -- Between L and XL depending cut. Some L's hug the wrong places (or the right places if you're a boob man, I suppose)

Fitness: Do a weekly 3 mile run just to check out where I'm at. Doing it in about 25 minutes comfortably now.

Health -- Heartburn and stuff literally went away in a week to 10 days. Might be the avoidance of wheat. Might just be the lower calories.

Weight -- 280

Waistline -- 46" Jos A. Bank dress pants (snug), 40" super relaxed Lucky brand jeans (very snug, I was literally "too fat to buy jeans in Georgetown") or 46" relaxed fit Old Navy (comfortable)

Shirts -- XXL

Today

Weight -- 243 (goal for BiggieHole was 240, not looking good to make it, but I may weigh after a run just to trick myself)

Waistline -- 38" Jos. A Bank (comfortable, 36s are snug); 36" relaxed Lucky jeans (comfortable) 36" button fly Lucky Jeans (snug)

Shirts -- Between L and XL depending cut. Some L's hug the wrong places (or the right places if you're a boob man, I suppose)

Fitness: Do a weekly 3 mile run just to check out where I'm at. Doing it in about 25 minutes comfortably now.

Health -- Heartburn and stuff literally went away in a week to 10 days. Might be the avoidance of wheat. Might just be the lower calories.
Wow. I had no idea you were scoob. From what I remember, you can run!

Congrats on huge progress! That waistline improvement is amazing in 3mos.

Weight -- 280

Shirts -- XXL

Today

Congrats man. Awesome stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread