What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis diet fad of the month thread - Potato mania!!1 (1 Viewer)

proninja said:
I bought some super cushy running shoes. Two five mile jogs (12 minute pace) and no complaints.
I just bought a pair of Altras. Tried running last year and couldn't go more than a couple miles without pretty bad shin splints. Giving it a try again with a cushioned zero drop shoe.
I tried on the Altra Olympus and it was a tough call. I liked the roomier toe box, but the no drop deal felt odd for walking. Cushy as they are they reminded me of my terrible experience with minimalists. The foot guru told me that was normal but I would love running in them. I preferred to keep the walking option just in case. I have the Hoka Stinson Trails in a ridiculous color combo, but that was the only 13 in stock. If running works out going forward, I may get the Altras too.

click the red color option... eek

Last edited by a moderator:
proninja said:
I bought some super cushy running shoes. Two five mile jogs (12 minute pace) and no complaints.
I just bought a pair of Altras. Tried running last year and couldn't go more than a couple miles without pretty bad shin splints. Giving it a try again with a cushioned zero drop shoe.
I tried on the Altra Olympus and it was a tough call. I liked the roomier toe box, but the no drop deal felt odd for walking. Cushy as they are they reminded me of my terrible experience with minimalists. The foot guru told me that was normal but I would love running in them. I preferred to keep the walking option just in case. I have the Hoka Stinson Trails in a ridiculous color combo, but that was the only 13 in stock. If running works out going forward, I may get the Altras too.

You planning on running ultras?

proninja - are you a heel striker? Zero drop may not be the answer for your shin splints if you're heavy on the heels. Heel striking is the #1 cause for shin splints. Good illustration on a heel strike vs. midfoot strike.

proninja said:

You planning on running ultras?
No but I am a heel striking supinator with chronic back and feet problems that caused me to give up distance running years ago. My podiatrist recommended both brands as consolations for not having some diabetes shoe company build me custom jobs for $400.

I just caught Mark's post on no booze. He makes an interesting point about how low carbing it can change tolerance levels. I've also cut back total booze consumption by about 70% vs 2 years ago. I have to say that one drawback of low carbing it is that I get whiskey **** much easier. At first I thought that was old age catching up to me, but now I wonder if it's diet related.

One of the few drawbacks to this I've found so far I guess.

proninja said:
I just caught Mark's post on no booze. He makes an interesting point about how low carbing it can change tolerance levels. I've also cut back total booze consumption by about 70% vs 2 years ago. I have to say that one drawback of low carbing it is that I get whiskey **** much easier. At first I thought that was old age catching up to me, but now I wonder if it's diet related.

One of the few drawbacks to this I've found so far I guess.
Daily Apple? Which one?
on my phone, i dunno must have been his monday post, maybe sunday. shouldn't have to go further down.

When I became unemployed/foolishly retired a year ago, one of the main concerns others had for me was that I would just sit around and get drunk. It seemed possible and I was okay with that outcome. I found out that most of my drinking was due to stress, unhappiness or both. Lately I have to remind myself to have a drink every now and then or I might never drink. I concur with some of the comments to Mark's post. I generally feel better and sleep better with no alcohol. I've had a few beers or glasses of wine this year where I either wished I hadn't or didn't even finish them because in the end I really didn't want it.

No doubt if I get back to the working world, I will find a happy hour hangout, and return to at home self-medication.

I swear by a glass of red wine a night, the problem is not letting that turn into a bottle of red wine every night.

Keerock said:
If you are keeping that close track of weight and are doing MFP then you should be able to extract your BMR exceptionally accurately. Within +/-100 easily.
Yep... I do. Not sure it's really a BMR, more of a TEE, but I'm at around 2800 over the course of my tracking.
Little insight on how you're calculating this? I've got reservations on what I'm really supposed to be consuming.

Keerock said:
If you are keeping that close track of weight and are doing MFP then you should be able to extract your BMR exceptionally accurately. Within +/-100 easily.
Yep... I do. Not sure it's really a BMR, more of a TEE, but I'm at around 2800 over the course of my tracking.
Little insight on how you're calculating this? I've got reservations on what I'm really supposed to be consuming.
( Calories Eaten + ( 3500*lbs Lost ) ) / Days

Keerock said:
3500 is conservative on a cut as hard as yours. Keep in mind your BMR was higher when you were heavier.

Keerock said:
3500 is conservative on a cut as hard as yours. Keep in mind your BMR was higher when you were heavier.
Also you aren't subbing out exercise.

Keerock said:
Also you aren't subbing out exercise.
Yeah... that's why I said it was more like TEE

Keerock said:
Interesting. Mine is only based on a month's worth of data, but I come out to 3121, which I assume is also including my exercise #'s. I took this a step further....

(( Calories Eaten + ( 3500*lbs Lost ) ) / Days) - ( Exercise Calories / Days ))

I averaged 802 exercise calories, which puts my real BMR (I am guess that's what that is meant to be) at 2319. Pretty damn close to MFP's estimation of 2300 to maintain my weight.

ETA: dang it, y'all responded while I was adding up on my fingers/toes. Looks like I'm barking up the right tree. Makes me feel a little bit better about things. I know its a good problem to have, but I'm really struggling with eating 3100+ calories and keeping them all healthly calories. That's a lot of fn food!

Why do I care about it
Well, two reasons.

For weight loss you care about it because ultimately you are going to want to get under that number for weight loss.

Secondly, you care about it because you don't want this BMR figure to drop too much (unless you started at 300# or more). Ideally, if you gain muscle and lose fat then your BMR will drop less making weight maintenance easier.

Most people fail to maintain their lost weight because they went on a hardcore calorie cut (which lowers BMR) and then when they hit their goal weight they don't eat to BMR and gain it back. (Though this is a vast simplification of reasons for weight gainback which can be multi-factored)

There is some evidence, and it's growing quickly, that a cardio heavy cut lowers BMR more than resistance, weights, or HIIT training.

I went on a bit of an Amazon shopping spree last weekend. Got some ginseng, rhodiola, and St. John's wort. I just took a couple of ginseng capsules with 3 cups of coffee and I feel like I could run through a brick wall. Energy level is through the roof. I can't wait for my afternoon workout to see what I can do. I got the St. John's wort to take at night, which I did last night and I fell asleep at least an hour earlier than usual. Rhodiola hasn't arrived yet.

I'm heading to Cincy for a little weekend trip for my anniversary. Hitting Taste of Cincinnati tomorrow and a restaurant tomorrow evening. I'm hoping I don't screw my diet up too much on this trip.

Holiday weekend was tough to get through. I think maybe I limited the damage though. If I gain some it won't be much.

Offset the lousy holiday weekend eating by exercising way too much. More than four hours total and 25 miles ran. Still think I consumed more than I burned though.

Bad weekend but I am not counting calories as closely. Have stuck with my fitness program everyday so far.

weight isn't dropping but the inches are.

Going hard for 2 weeks then a week off for my golf trip then back on for a hard 7 weeks. If my schedule allows it

Yeah, think I'll just fast today. I certainly have plenty of reserves to feed off for a day or two.

Off topic, dads of young daughters. Trust me. Put a pool in the backyard. When she's 16 she'll have the girls volleyball team over for a weekend.

Today starts my cut for 21 days.

-Dropping gainer shake

-Dropping all grains

-Dropping all alcohol

-Upping fat content (coconut milk, and oils used more)

-Dropping protein to 1g/#

-Eat as clean as possible

Will test for ketosis, but I'm not going to get all worked up if I don't test positive.

Will get a good weight/% number today. Blew out this weekend so I'm a little scared to see what the results were.

Culdeus are you Ryan Gosling in real life? You must have a 10 pack. I'm curious what motivates you to be so disciplined and hard core?

I run and eat low carb just enough to get in the 195 range (which for me equals no double chin and a 4 pack) then lose the fire and slowly gain it back over a few months, then rinse and repeat. I'd like to find my motivation to do what it takes to be the baddest mfr I can be but I enjoy beer and burritos too much :bag:

Culdeus are you Ryan Gosling in real life? You must have a 10 pack. I'm curious what motivates you to be so disciplined and hard core?

I run and eat low carb just enough to get in the 195 range (which for me equals no double chin and a 4 pack) then lose the fire and slowly gain it back over a few months, then rinse and repeat. I'd like to find my motivation to do what it takes to be the baddest mfr I can be but I enjoy beer and burritos too much :bag:
I've always been a hard gainer. I'm trying to win that battle. I usually go 3 months hardcore workouts with clean eating followed by 1 month of recovery.

Even with all that for the last 2.5 years I've still never seen the % with 1 digit in front of the decimal place.

I started doing my little circuit routine about a week after I started changing my diet with MFP. I could only do 2 pullups unassisted and did a total of 42 pushups (3 sets) and 120 ab moves. FF a month and I can now do 4 pullups and have mixed in doing more unassisted pullups into my routine (I did 10 today - huge for me). Now doing a total 62 pushups and 232 ab moves. I know they're not earth shattering numbers, but they're a big improvement for this string bean. :flex:

My running is also really starting to take off. Putting in workouts like I'm in marathon shape already, but doing half the mileage.

Needless to say, I'm pretty damn pumped with this diet change. I'm becoming a pretty big fan of mark's daily apple.

Huge week for me... -5.6lbs (-10lbs in the last 2 weeks) :eek: . Sitting right around my initial weight goal, which now is not good enough. Reset my goal to go -15# more by my 50th birthday in two months.
Impressive progress!

I'll be hitting 50 in July as well. I pushed myself to get into shape for our trip to Hawaii last week and did a good job of it. We've been eating extremely healthy for the past couple of years and I've been doing the 100 pushup challenge and 7 minute workout but I think I need to kick it up a notch. My wife is a gym rat and is almost ripped at this point (unfortunately losing boobage) and I need to keep up.

I only need to lose about 5 more pounds but still need to tighten up a bit. Should I be looking into weights or beef up the regular workouts?

What's a good starting set/brand of weights?

eta: heading to Vegas on my 50th. It's nice to have a target to shoot for.

Huge week for me... -5.6lbs (-10lbs in the last 2 weeks) :eek: . Sitting right around my initial weight goal, which now is not good enough. Reset my goal to go -15# more by my 50th birthday in two months.
Impressive progress!

I'll be hitting 50 in July as well. I pushed myself to get into shape for our trip to Hawaii last week and did a good job of it. We've been eating extremely healthy for the past couple of years and I've been doing the 100 pushup challenge and 7 minute workout but I think I need to kick it up a notch. My wife is a gym rat and is almost ripped at this point (unfortunately losing boobage) and I need to keep up.

I only need to lose about 5 more pounds but still need to tighten up a bit. Should I be looking into weights or beef up the regular workouts?

Depending on your budget you can find a huge variety of weights on craigslist. Bowflex makes a great adjustable set as well if you are space constrained.

Impressive progress!

Depending on your budget you can find a huge variety of weights on craigslist. Bowflex makes a great adjustable set as well if you are space constrained.
I'm not concerned about budget but I don't want a big bowflex machine that I might not use down the road. I'm not fully commited yet. I think some weights would be better until I see more results to motivate me. Maybe I'll look into a gym membership. Or just buy a set of weight. I'll look on craigslist and see the $$ difference compared to new...thx!

Impressive progress!I'll be hitting 50 in July as well. I pushed myself to get into shape for our trip to Hawaii last week and did a good job of it. We've been eating extremely healthy for the past couple of years and I've been doing the 100 pushup challenge and 7 minute workout but I think I need to kick it up a notch. My wife is a gym rat and is almost ripped at this point (unfortunately losing boobage) and I need to keep up.

I'm not concerned about budget but I don't want a big bowflex machine that I might not use down the road. I'm not fully commited yet. I think some weights would be better until I see more results to motivate me. Maybe I'll look into a gym membership. Or just buy a set of weight. I'll look on craigslist and see the $$ difference compared to new...thx!
bow flex makes adjustable dumbells

Impressive progress!

When it comes to weights/fitness stuff, craigslist is your friend. You should be able to pick up an olympic bar, olympic weights, decent adjustable bench, and some dumbbells for a couple of hundred bucks. Brand doesn't really matter, just get the olympic size weights and bar. If you have a little room for the gear, that's really all you need.

Just this past weekend I picked up a nice squat rack with high and low pulley, bench, 240 lbs in olympic weights, and dumbells from 25 - 45lbs for $750. New, the rack itself would have run me between $800 - $1,000.

Impressive progress!

If you're just entering the home fitness arena, I'd suggest that you go with a set of adjustable dumbells (Bowflex, Powerblock, Universal Power-Pak), a basic bench, a door gym and a fitness ball. Not much you won't be able to do there as a beginner with a minimum space commitment.

As noted, Craigslist is an excellent place to look.

had to weigh in for a life insurance exam.

oof

I think I am up about 15lbs since a vacation at the end of January.

Anyone price out liposuction recently?

Thanks for the tips! :thumbup:

Those adjustable dumbbell's look like a great starting point. Space is kinda tight so that'll work.

Users who are viewing this thread