Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eephus

Serious Biz Dynasty - Offseason Rosters Lock Monday October 2nd

2,223 posts in this topic

Seems like finding a replacement owner for that team is easy even if it's losing players 31 and 32. 

I think contract and disperse kills two birds with one stone, don't have to worry about a new owner who would be getting a stacked team and seriously affecting comp balance. Additionally dispersing those players should help nicely with the competitive balance issue.  :2cents:

1 person likes this

I'd rather have someone take over Hoos' team because I've finished 2nd to him for 2 years and it will feel kind of lame if I win the league because his squad got dispersed.

But I also get that people who recently joined and have been building teams from the bottom up wouldn't want to see some noob get to take over a powerhouse, so I'm fine with a dispersal.

21 minutes ago, Spartans Rule said:

I'd rather have someone take over Hoos' team because I've finished 2nd to him for 2 years and it will feel kind of lame if I win the league because his squad got dispersed.

But I also get that people who recently joined and have been building teams from the bottom up wouldn't want to see some noob get to take over a powerhouse, so I'm fine with a dispersal.

A little smack talk mixed into the dispersal discussion. I like it.

The problem we're trying to correct dates back 2-3 years when owners bailed on a couple of teams with poor talent (Elvis and whoever Meat Panchos was).   We were fortunate to get good replacement owners (and Doctor Detroit) at the time but it was a very steep hill to climb.  It's even tougher now that the league has changed towards being more prospects heavy.

Eliminating the 13th club will give the newer teams a shot at top talent that wouldn't be available via normal means.  The only downside is that it rewards PIK for tanking but the solutions should focus on what makes the league better going forward rather than how we got here.  I think a more balanced league is better; it generates more interest and protects the league if somebody decides to leave in future years.  12 teams will also increase the player pool by 37 so there should be more talent available, not that there isn't plenty already.

1. carve up team Hoos in a two round snake (non-snake?) draft in reverse order of standings

2. protect 22 (?) and do a second two round draft of unprotected players.  A team can only lose three players during this phase

3. roster drops to get everybody back to 37

4. one round add/drop draft

5. waivers run

6.Season-long FCFS (including or not including amateurs?)

Open to other suggestions of course.

I'd say non snake for the dispersal draft, I think the 1st place team getting the 12/13 from that roster won't help competitive balance. 

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The problem we're trying to correct dates back 2-3 years when owners bailed on a couple of teams with poor talent (Elvis and whoever Meat Panchos was).   We were fortunate to get good replacement owners (and Doctor Detroit) at the time but it was a very steep hill to climb.  It's even tougher now that the league has changed towards being more prospects heavy.

Eliminating the 13th club will give the newer teams a shot at top talent that wouldn't be available via normal means.  The only downside is that it rewards PIK for tanking but the solutions should focus on what makes the league better going forward rather than how we got here.  I think a more balanced league is better; it generates more interest and protects the league if somebody decides to leave in future years.  12 teams will also increase the player pool by 37 so there should be more talent available, not that there isn't plenty already.

1. carve up team Hoos in a two round snake (non-snake?) draft in reverse order of standings

2. protect 22 (?) and do a second two round draft of unprotected players.  A team can only lose three players during this phase

3. roster drops to get everybody back to 37

4. one round add/drop draft

5. waivers run

6.Season-long FCFS (including or not including amateurs?)

Open to other suggestions of course.

Thoughts on expanding roster size a bit if we drop to 12 teams? Leaves a little more room to speculate for some that are trying to compete and rebuild at the same time.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, RnR said:

Thoughts on expanding roster size a bit if we drop to 12 teams? Leaves a little more room to speculate for some that are trying to compete and rebuild at the same time.

I'd be in favor of bumping up to 40. It keeps some continuity on total number of rostered players in the league (13x37 = 481, 12x40 = 480), gives teams a little more flexibility, plus the idea of a 40-man roster parallels MLB.

For simplicity's sake I think we should do a 3-round non-snake draft of Hoos players (and free agents?) to get everyone up to 40. We suspend the competitive balance draft for this year since it's meant to A. Give us a little draft for fun and B. Even out the balance of power.... and I think the Hoos draft accomplishes both. We can bring it back next year.

1 person likes this

My thinking was the third round of a Hoosdraft would be largely irrelevant.

I'm not sure if I like roster expansion.  I like the idea that roster decisions should be tough and larger rosters can only diminish this.

What's the thinking on eliminating in-season amateur pickups?  I think if we keep those _and_ expand rosters, most of those extras slots will end up being speculative.

I'm in favor of a bump to a 40 man roster with just 12 teams.

One thought is a 3 round non-snake draft of Hoos roster and any other available players to get everyone up to 40.  Then, forgo the competitive balance draft until next offseason.  We could still do the one round add/drop draft later in spring training as well as the waivers run.

I'm still in favor of being able to pick-up amateurs/that year's draft picks in season.

1 person likes this

just wanted to let folks knows i'd like to be considered for membership in baseball leagues with FFApers i know. redraft, dynasty (tho i don't play that for big money cuz its a sucker play for latecomers), contract, whatever. been a while since i done heavy prospect work, but i catch on quick. i'm a good owner looking to get back in action on my favorite sport. holla -

ETA: no simulator stuff, tho - dont understand that

Edited by wikkidpissah

I've been pretty on the fence about staying in, WP can have my team if he wants it.

Edited by Northern Voice

1 hour ago, Northern Voice said:

I've been pretty on the fence about staying in, WP can have my team if he wants it.

This is pretty much where I am at as well. 

I know there's a lot of stuff going on but let's not make hasty decisions.   Let's wait until camps open and see how people feel then.

2 people like this

I think X wants his own team, wikkid wants in also. 

Come on, it's a $50 league, you can fight with a street bum on a bet for more than that. 

I also don't get why hoos quit, his team is pretty top heavy. 

3 people like this

47 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I think X wants his own team, wikkid wants in also. 

Come on, it's a $50 league, you can fight with a street bum on a bet for more than that. 

I also don't get why hoos quit, his team is pretty top heavy. 

Yeah, strange hill to die on for Hoos.  His 23rd best player isn't going to shift the balance of power against him.

We've been through the Hoos drama multiple times. 

Going forward, my vote is for contraction.  With all due respect to X and wikkidpissah, I think we'd be better off with twelve teams.  The bad teams will get better off the remains of team Hoos and we'll move on.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Eephus said:

We've been through the Hoos drama multiple times. 

Going forward, my vote is for contraction.  With all due respect to X and wikkidpissah, I think we'd be better off with twelve teams.  The bad teams will get better off the remains of team Hoos and we'll move on.

I was saying wikkid/X in case others drop out.

1 person likes this

I think splitting Hoos in 2 plus end of our rosters filler could make 2 competitive teams if we wanted to let both guys in and not hand 1 of them a superpower. 

HE SAID WITH ALL DUE RESPECT

1 person likes this

Can we quit with all the quitting talk and start focusing on getting this thing rolling again this season?

PITCHERS AND CATCHERS ARE REPORTING!

Edited by RnR
4 people like this

I'm leaning towards staying in another year over quitting altogether, but would consider taking on a partner if anyone is interested.  Someone who could help balance my propensity to overvalue closers in waiting would be a plus.

3 people like this

Stay man, it's $50.

im looking forward to this league over all others. Kind of screwed myself by trying to be decent last year, but hoos team has 10 or so plumb picks. Pik getting Arenado sucks but whatever. 

2 people like this

Remind me again why this league has to be at CBS...?

1 person likes this

48 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Remind me again why this league has to be at CBS...?

I think it's free with @greedygoat :shrug:

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

And it's not Fantrax

3 people like this

Just now, Eephus said:

And it's not Fantrax

Yahoo? I do almost all of my fantasy stuff on my phone and CBS app is kind of awful next to Yahoo's...

19 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Yahoo? I do almost all of my fantasy stuff on my phone and CBS app is kind of awful next to Yahoo's...

I vaguely recall looking into this before and I don't think Yahoo could handle our rules.

ETA:   maximum roster size of 30, limited minor league database, no manual adding of unlisted players

Edited by Eephus

10 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Yeah, I know a guy who works at CBSSports.com and he has waived the fee for us for the last 3+ years.  I haven't seen or spoken to him since I sent him an email around this time last year :bag:

I can't believe they charge $179.99 for that crap.

1 person likes this

On 2/15/2017 at 5:37 PM, Doctor Detroit said:

Stay man, it's $50.

im looking forward to this league over all others. Kind of screwed myself by trying to be decent last year, but hoos team has 10 or so plumb picks. Pik getting Arenado sucks but whatever. 

Is he the pick?  I thought my Red Sox guy.  I haven't looked at anything yet fwiw.

2 hours ago, PIK95 said:

Is he the pick?  I thought my Red Sox guy.  I haven't looked at anything yet fwiw.

Several good options actually :popcorn: 

2 people like this

I'll play if you need me

looks like we have at least 3 interested newcomers. :thumbup:

When will we be doing that draft and opening up trading?  I'm trying to resist the urge to add another league.

On 1/27/2017 at 9:44 AM, Kraft... said:

I think contract and disperse kills two birds with one stone, don't have to worry about a new owner who would be getting a stacked team and seriously affecting comp balance. Additionally dispersing those players should help nicely with the competitive balance issue.  :2cents:

I am interested in TT, NM, and JUrias once trading opens.  I should have a stud or two and some kids to trade once everything plays out.

1 hour ago, PIK95 said:

When will we be doing that draft and opening up trading?  I'm trying to resist the urge to add another league.

@greedygoat is staying but looking for a partner. 

@Northern Voice has been in the thread since hoisting his butt onto the fence. 

There are three prospective new owners for 0.5 to 1.5 open slots.

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Eephus said:

@Northern Voice has been in the thread since hoisting his butt onto the fence. 

I'm going to stay in.

2 people like this