What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
How does he project in the NFL and for fantasy purposes? What active or historical WRs make good comps (Randall Cobb?). Does he have eventual top 20 upside in the right situation?

Very impressive athleticism and ball skills. He looks like he has a lot of positive traits and attributes associated with WR success (though not tall at 5'11", but a proportionate 200 lbs. - also, he only had seven reps). He has a very smooth, under control runnning form, speed, quickness, balance, stop start ability, tracks the ball downfield, timing, elite agility and body control, high points the ball and outstanding hands, a creative open field runner with explosive return skills, etc.

I'm not as familiar with his negatives, but there seems to be a lot to like, at the right price. How is he going to be valued in upcoming rookie drafts?

* Check the clip where he one hands a kick off, not sure I've ever seen that before. The article mentions his hands are bigger than Evans and Watkins.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ckham-jr-combine-results-and-instant-reaction

His LSU highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jZbGUMevcI

<title edited by FBG Mod to help with searching>

Last edited by a moderator:
How does he project in the NFL and for fantasy purposes? What active or historical WRs make good comps (Randall Cobb?). Does he have eventual top 20 upside in the right situation?

Very impressive athleticism and ball skills. He looks like he has a lot of positive traits and attributes associated with WR success. He has a very smooth, under control runnning form, speed, quickness, stop start ability, tracks the ball downfield, timing, elite agility and body control, high points the ball and outstanding hands, a creative open field runner, etc.

I'm not as familiar with his negatives, but there seems to be a lot to like, at the right price. How is he going to be valued in upcoming rookie drafts?
I don't see him high point the ball very often and his hands seem questionable at times - concentration lapses. The TCU game comes to mind where doesn't go up and get a couple of the contested balls that look to be up for grabs. I think his route running is hit or miss too but some of those may be on the QB - hard to tell at times because I recall seeing some balls thrown in a complete opposite direction of where he was running. I also recall people out there who think one of his knocks is he didn't show up in the big games... I think that could be just game planning though maybe?

ETA: I like the Cobb comparison.

Very impressive athleticism and ball skills. He looks like he has a lot of positive traits and attributes associated with WR success. He has a very smooth, under control runnning form, speed, quickness, stop start ability, tracks the ball downfield, timing, elite agility and body control, high points the ball and outstanding hands, a creative open field runner, etc.

I don't see him high point the ball very often and his hands seem questionable at times - concentration lapses. The TCU game comes to mind where doesn't go up and get a couple of the contested balls that look to be up for grabs. I think his route running is hit or miss too but some of those may be on the QB - hard to tell at times because I recall seeing some balls thrown in a complete opposite direction of where he was running. I also recall people out there who think one of his knocks is he didn't show up in the big games... I think that could be just game planning though maybe?

Thanks, admittedly the comment about outstanding hands was based on how natural and effortless he looked in Combine drills, so the collegiate background and context is appreciated.

What? He's one of the best at high pointing. In this one game alone he does it 3 times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cjvErKu35g

His ceiling is Greg Jennings. His ability to plant and cut will allow him run any route. Very good technique at getting off the press and just too quick off the line.

As good as it gets phyisically for a +/- 200 pd reciever. He could have benched more, but that's fixable. It definitly would havehelped his stock even more.

His ceiling is Greg Jennings. His ability to plant and cut will allow him run any route. Very good technique at getting off the press and just too quick off the line.
I like that comp. My interest is even more piqued.Thanks for the input, and to any contributions from others in the thread, as well.

I think this guy had catchers mitts surgically implanted or grafted onto his wrists in place of hands. :)

* To the thread, from the same highlights as in the OP, check out how in three separate plays he controls the ball post-catch with one hand like it's a nerf ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jZbGUMevcI

1) 1:00

2) 1:38

3) 3:33

Return TDs

4) :01

5) :22

6) 2:04

Hands

7) 1:19

Tackle breaking balance followed up by a sick string of open field stutter step moves.

8) 1:24

I'm baffled by the fact that people are moving Beckham up because of his combine results to be honest. If you watched him or read about him then you should have known he was a great athlete. His explosiveness and playmaking ability were on display a ton at LSU. Primarily on punt returns IMO.

I'm baffled by the fact that people are moving Beckham up because of his combine results to be honest. If you watched him or read about him then you should have known he was a great athlete. His explosiveness and playmaking ability were on display a ton at LSU. Primarily on punt returns IMO.
Good post, I'm with you. I didn't learn anything new at the combine that I didn't see with my eyes from film.

Yeah, I wasn't surprised to see him put up good numbers at the combine as his reputation at LSU was always as an elite athlete. I was, however, pleasantly surprised to see how smooth and natural he looked in the drills. He had a tendency at LSU to drop some routine balls at particularly inopportune times and he had some costly fumbles; on the other hand he had a knack for spectacular plays that included some NFL-relevant skills like high-pointing the ball, leaping and adjusting to throws in mid air, making tight sideline catches and so on. I tend to undervalue LSU players (reverse homer) and I'm starting to think I've been too low on Beckham.

He won the Paul Hornung Award as the nation's most versatile player, and I think his FF value depends quite a bit on who drafts him. If he's going to be given a Harvin-type role where he gets diverse touches in the passing game, an occasional run, and so on, then I think that's a situation where he can be a valuable WR2-type. Or, I could see him thriving as a primary slot guy. Otherwise he may be the type of player who is explosive enough to give you some great games but is otherwise inconsistent.

What? He's one of the best at high pointing. In this one game alone he does it 3 times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cjvErKu35g
Yet, against TCU - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_M52KgXSJ8 - he shows some inconsistency with his hands and high pointing.

A few times - 2:05 (while it's a catch, he doesn't get that in the NFL without going up and getting it), 3:03 (just whiffs there, looking for TD), 4:25 (catch-able ball doesn't watch it in), 6:30 (he's late getting up - he had a better shot at it if he jumps a bit earlier).

I agree he does make some jaw dropping plays and shows the ability to go up and get it at times, but he's inconsistent. I think it's something that can be coached, but I'd be looking for more polish coming into the NFL.

What? He's one of the best at high pointing. In this one game alone he does it 3 times:

He also looked awful in another game last year, I think it was Auburn. Dropped a few and looked like he fought the ball all day. I could have the wrong game though.

What? He's one of the best at high pointing. In this one game alone he does it 3 times:

He's kind of two faced (so to speak) at times. But the potential is there. I still like that Cobb comparison... if he can put it together that could be a ceiling for him IMO. I'm still more partial to Lee (who also has his lapses) and Cooks (for a smaller speed guy).

Cooks plays tall, Beckham does not. Beckham is going to be more heavily situation dependent.
Good input. At first I wasn't sure what you meant.Are you referring to Cooks having some Steve Smith in him and attacking the ball better than Beckham?

Scouting Report from CBSSports.com and NFLDraftScout.com:

LSU WR Odell Beckham, Jr.
Overview

Odell Beckham, Jr. followed in his father's footsteps in playing for the Tigers - Odell Beckham, Sr. was a running back for LSU from 1989-92, playing in 28 games.

The family's athletics bloodlines are strong as Beckham, Jr.'s mother was an All-American track runner for LSU from 1991-93, helping lead the Lady tigers to five national championships.

The athleticism and speed clearly passed down to Beckham, Jr., who was a big-play receiving and rushing threat at Isidore Newman high school in New Orleans while also playing cornerback.

A four-star recruit by Scout.com and Rivals.com, there was little doubt Beckham would matriculate to Baton Route for his college ball. He earned Freshman All-SEC honors after posting 41 catches for 475 yards and two touchdowns in 2011, playing in all 14 games including nine starts.

The following season, Beckham started 12 of 13 games and led the Tigers with 43 catches and 713 yards. He also returned 35 punts for 320 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Beckham was a first-team All-SEC pick by the coaches and named the 2013 Paul Hornung Award winner as the FBS' most versatile player after shattering the Tigers' single-season record for all-purpose yardage as a junior. Beckham, Jr. racked up 2,222 all-purpose yards, breaking Domanick Davis' previous mark of 2,120 set in 2002.

His abilities as a return man will certainly help his draft stock. He displays "remarkable vision, agility and acceleration," according to NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst Rob Rang.

Analysis

STRENGTHS: Smooth athlete with very good acceleration to get up to top speed quickly. Terrific shake and burst out of his cuts to beat press and do something after the catch - dangerous with the ball. Excellent vision with dynamic moves. Good footwork, timing and depth in his routes to create separation and catch the ball well in stride.

Much improved hands, doing a nice job elevating and extending to snare the ball from the air - large catching radius and tracks well. Ball appears to slow down for him at the catch point, making fluid adjustments with natural body control.

Speedy and explosive return man on special teams with vision, awareness and toughness to create - two career punt returns for scores. Consistent production all three seasons at LSU with career-highs in 2013.

WEAKNESSES: Only average height and overall body strength - room to get stronger. Lacks elite speed and can be caught from behind by NFL DBs. Timid at times over the middle.

Has improved leaps and bounds catching the ball with his hands, but he will still have the occasional drop off his mitts. Missed blocking assignment and needs technique work in this area.

Room to improve his judgment and consistency fielding punts. Only 12 career receiving scores in 34 career starts.

COMPARES TO: Cecil Shorts, Jacksonville Jaguars - Beckham and Shorts are both exciting players with the ball in their hands and have shown steady improvements catching the ball over the years.

--Dane Brugler (1/7/14)

jurb26 said:
He's been my 3rd WR since October. I think others didn't think he'd measure up.

werdnoynek said:
Xue said:

Yet, against TCU - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_M52KgXSJ8 - he shows some inconsistency with his hands and high pointing.

A few times - 2:05 (while it's a catch, he doesn't get that in the NFL without going up and getting it), 3:03 (just whiffs there, looking for TD), 4:25 (catch-able ball doesn't watch it in), 6:30 (he's late getting up - he had a better shot at it if he jumps a bit earlier).

I agree he does make some jaw dropping plays and shows the ability to go up and get it at times, but he's inconsistent. I think it's something that can be coached, but I'd be looking for more polish coming into the NFL.
That's just one game. He was also going against a top 2 CB and did pretty well. You fail to see how well he gets off the press:

0:11 --fakes left then uses a swim move to get inside position. He's got a step and has Jason Verrett beat, Mettenberger doesn't see it.

0:19 --replay of previous play

2:58 --it was a drop, but look at how quick he is off the line

4:04 --drives the route well, gets Verrett off-balance, a little push-off, and high-points the ball

6:30 --he's late getting up because he got grabbed

7:25 --he has Verrett beat, but Mettenberger decides to throw into double coverage

8:09 --off-coverage, but fakes inside and releases outside, has the CB beat for a big play, but Mettenberger decides to throw it back shoulder

If you liked Kendall Wright, you should love Odell Beckham.
Very good post.

I drafted all three of Antonio Brown, Cobb, and Wright in my dynasty league, and I love Beckham.

I already have him pegged as a likely target in the 2nd round of my rookie draft. (10 team PPR, QQRRWWTTFFF)

werdnoynek said:
Xue said:

That's just one game. He was also going against a top 2 CB and did pretty well. You fail to see how well he gets off the press:

0:11 --fakes left then uses a swim move to get inside position. He's got a step and has Jason Verrett beat, Mettenberger doesn't see it.

0:19 --replay of previous play

2:58 --it was a drop, but look at how quick he is off the line

4:04 --drives the route well, gets Verrett off-balance, a little push-off, and high-points the ball

6:30 --he's late getting up because he got grabbed

7:25 --he has Verrett beat, but Mettenberger decides to throw into double coverage

8:09 --off-coverage, but fakes inside and releases outside, has the CB beat for a big play, but Mettenberger decides to throw it back shoulder
I didn't fail to see it, I thought we were talking about high pointing the ball and his hands.

jurb26 said:
It's because two question marks on him were 1) does he have the long speed to beat DBs deep?, 2) are his hands suspect?

He answered both of those. And that's why people are moving him up.

jurb26 said:
It's because two question marks on him were 1) does he have the long speed to beat DBs deep?, 2) are his hands suspect?

His long speed should never have been questions, again watch him on punt returns. His hands are still a question. I've seen at least 3 games where they looked suspect. I fail to see how anything was answered. Maybe it's just me.

jurb26 said:

His long speed should never have been questions, again watch him on punt returns. His hands are still a question. I've seen at least 3 games where they looked suspect.I fail to see how anything was answered. Maybe it's just me.
His long speed absolutely was questioned in nearly every scouting report out there. If you'd like one to look at, even the combine scouting report on NFL.com questioned it. I'm not saying I questioned it. I drafted him in a devy league last year and watched nearly every LSU game this year. Speed is in his blood and I never understood why it was a potential issue.

I don't think his hands are suspect at all. Concentration/mental lapses, sure. I can see that. But that is fixable. In the gauntlet, he looked as smooth and natural catching the ball (away from his body mind you) as anyone this side of Sammy.

So, yes, I believe he answered both of those questions and it seems that most agree. Hence his rise up the rankings.

jurb26 said:

His long speed should never have been questions, again watch him on punt returns. His hands are still a question. I've seen at least 3 games where they looked suspect.I fail to see how anything was answered. Maybe it's just me.
His long speed absolutely was questioned in nearly every scouting report out there. If you'd like one to look at, even the combine scouting report on NFL.com questioned it. I'm not saying I questioned it. I drafted him in a devy league last year and watched nearly every LSU game this year. Speed is in his blood and I never understood why it was a potential issue.

I don't think his hands are suspect at all. Concentration/mental lapses, sure. I can see that. But that is fixable. In the gauntlet, he looked as smooth and natural catching the ball (away from his body mind you) as anyone this side of Sammy.

So, yes, I believe he answered both of those questions and it seems that most agree. Hence his rise up the rankings.
Interesting. I hadn't read the NFL draft profile of him. I agree with most of it but the top end speed thing and no impact as a returner don't make sense to me. I think his lack of beating guys deep was route issue. I felt he mostly telegraphed his long routes by getting too high in them. That's not an athleticism or speed thing, it's a route running thing.

Odell Beckham gaining momentum as first-round pickBy Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

After turning in one of the most impressive performances among wide receivers at the NFL Scouting Combine, LSU's Odell Beckham, Jr. has his draft stock on the rise.

Beckham has cracked NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks' Big Board, which has been updated since the end of the combine. Beckham checked in as the No. 24 overall prospect, according to Brooks. After an explosive junior season at LSU last year (59 catches, 1,152 yards), "OBJ" turned in a 4.43 40-yard dash at the combine, as well as the third-best times among receivers in both the 20-yard shuttle (3.94) and the 60-yard shuttle (10.93).

Wrote Brooks: "It's hard to find a more dangerous playmaker in the open field than Beckham. He is a speedster with exceptional quickness and burst, yet he has the body control to run every route in the book. Factor in his skills as a dynamic return man, it's not a surprise that his name is moving up the charts on draft boards across the league."

Bryan Broaddus, a former NFL personnel executive with four different clubs, also sees Beckham as a first-round pick:

Zeek @Hall09Hasson

@BryanBroaddus if Odell is there in the 2nd would you take him?

Bryan Broaddus @BryanBroaddus

@Hall09Hasson: @BryanBroaddus if Odell is there in the 2nd would you take him?” He is a first round player.

Broaddus has scouting experience with the Green Bay Packers, Philadelphia Eagles, Jacksonville Jaguars and Dallas Cowboys, and now serves as a content producer for the Cowboys' official web site.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Seen Beckham to KC in some mocks lately.

Some players elevated themselves at the combine (Donald, Gilbert, Dennard, Mack, Shazier's 42" VJ, Lewan, Sankey, Evans, Cooks), he was one of them.

Seen Beckham to KC in some mocks lately.
Sean Payton covets Beckham, as well. The Saints badly need a shot to the return game. And with Lance Moore likely leaving, Beckham might be able to start in the slot from Week 1.
After Graham, he could be the #2 target for Brees. Colston is old and slow. Stills is just the new Devery Henderson. Meachem is still meachem.

From an article by Russ Lande linked in post #27 above by Faust, mentions he could be the second WR drafted after Watkins.

"Athleticism, explosiveness and speed like Beckham's is usually only possessed by receivers under 5-foot-10, but at 5-foot-11 1/4 and 198 pounds, he is not a small receiver. Entering the combine, Beckham was in a battle with teammate and fellow receiver Jarvis Landry -- and numerous other receivers -- to lock up a spot in the first round. I think Beckham solidified his spot. I have no doubt that he will be selected within the first 20 picks, but it would not shock me if he ended up being the second receiver drafted, after Clemson's Sammy Watkins."

Another article by Doug Farrar of SI compares LSU WR teammates Beckham and Landry, noting Beckham may present similar value to Watkins. Not sure about that, but interesting to see several writers so high on him post-combine.

"Beckham has no issue gaining separation — as he said, he excels at taking the top off a defense. As a receiver and returner, he’s got rare speed, and the ability to hit a top gear at a moment’s notice. Over and over, you’ll see him hang with a defender for a split second, and just accelerate into another dimension. He’s incredibly shifty in short spaces and has amazing downfield vision. And Beckham isn’t just a straight-line threat. His understanding of routes, while not on the same level as Landry’s, is impressive. Add in a surprising catch radius for a player his size (5-foot-11, 196), and you’ve got a sure first-rounder able to help any offense in the NFL. Though Clemson’s Sammy Watkins is the consensus top receiver in this class, I’d say that Beckham is the better home-run threat — and in my opinion, there isn’t a lot to separate the two in overall value."

http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/27/odell-beckham-jr-jarvis-landry-lsu-2014-nfl-draft/

LSU has sent several receivers to the NFL in the last few decades. From Eric Martin to Eddie Kennison back in the day, to Devery Henderson and Dwayne Bowe more recently, the Tigers have been a good source for raw talent at the position. And in the 2014 draft, there are two such players looking to make their mark on the NFL. Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr. are very different players, but they’ve been tight since the day they each walked on campus — and even before.

“It’s an interesting relationship,” Landry said at the scouting combine last week. “I got a chance to meet him our sophomore year of high school and we talked about playing together and competing against each other each game, each week. We finally had a chance to go to LSU together, and it was surreal just to think that all that we talked about, we were experiencing.”

Both were high-school standouts in Louisiana. Landry was at the top of all the recruiting lists out of Lutcher High, from MaxPreps to Rivals to Scout.com, and Beckham joined Cooper Manning as the only players from Isidore Newman High in New Orleans to post a 1,000-yard receiving season. Rivals.com listed him as the best receiver prospect in the nation. But it was when they joined forces at LSU that their styles of play meshed perfectly together, and ushered in a new level of productivity. In 2013, Landry grabbed 77 passes for 1,193 yards and 10 touchdowns, while Beckham caught 57 balls for 1,117 yards and eight scores. Their yards per reception totals (15.5 for Landry, 19.6 for Beckham), clearly outline their disparate but complementary skills.

“We each bring different things,” Beckham said last week. “He’s a possession guy — he can catch everything around him. I’m a guy who’s going to take the top off a defense and use my speed and strength. He’s a physical guy who’s going to make the tough catches. I’m looking forward to seeing how the draft plays out.”

One of Landry’s underrated attributes is that he’s effective from anywhere in the formation — from outside, to in the slot, to inside and outside in trips and bunch formations. He doesn’t have top-end field speed, but he has developed the skills possession receivers need to succeed in the NFL — he has good hands, runs the whole route tree and makes tough catches in traffic. He’s practiced at getting yards after the catch on short passes, and he’s a willing (if not always on-target) blocker. You’d like Landry to be a little bigger with his specific skillset — slower, tougher guys really help if they can jump up and win in the red zone — but he can help any NFL team if the scheme can account for his difficulty in gaining separation at the line of scrimmage.

Beckham has no issue gaining separation — as he said, he excels at taking the top off a defense. As a receiver and returner, he’s got rare speed, and the ability to hit a top gear at a moment’s notice. Over and over, you’ll see him hang with a defender for a split second, and just accelerate into another dimension. He’s incredibly shifty in short spaces and has amazing downfield vision. And Beckham isn’t just a straight-line threat. His understanding of routes, while not on the same level as Landry’s, is impressive. Add in a surprising catch radius for a player his size (5-foot-11, 196), and you’ve got a sure first-rounder able to help any offense in the NFL. Though Clemson’s Sammy Watkins is the consensus top receiver in this class, I’d say that Beckham is the better home-run threat — and in my opinion, there isn’t a lot to separate the two in overall value.

Landry’s combine performance wasn’t anything to write home about — he posted the slowest official 40 time among all receivers at 4.77 — but that isn’t his game anyway. That probably makes him a low second- or high third-round pick in theory. Beckham, on the other hand, went off at Lucas Oil Stadium, as I wrote in my pool report.

Overall, the thing that impressed me most about Beckham in these drills was that he’s very comfortable with his speed. Not only is he track and field-fast, he also glides through routes and catches the ball with confidence. On the gauntlet drill, he ran through and caught everything, keeping his feet on the line all the way through. A lot of receivers weave through (Mike Evans had an issue with this), but Beckham stayed with his speed. He’s compact in his movements and doesn’t shoot out of line. This matches up with his game tape — even when he’s creating explosive plays, he’s consistent with his movements.

Beckham looked pretty good on the six-yard slant, making a quick in-cut to catch the ball. But on the 10-yard out to the left, he rounded his cut a bit, though he caught the ball. The 17-yard in-and-up was a bit more of an adventure — Beckham was a bit slow in his break off the line, and he rolled through the second pylon. And if there’s one thing I’d say he needs to work on, it’s the consistent ability to cut and keep with a quarterback’s timing. On deep routes with fewer angles, Beckham was in his element – fluid off the snap and great acceleration up the field. Moreover, that speed is consistent, meaning that quarterbacks can time him with confidence. And I believe that’s one of the more underrated attributes a receiver can have. He adjusted to his right and left on deeper routes to grab passes that were a bit off, and you love to see a player who can bail his quarterback out. Again, that’s consistent with his LSU tape.

Beckham was slightly choppy on the 12-yard curl, but he was clearly trying to be better with his cuts there, and he was OK. He ran through nicely and sank his hips into the breaks. The final route was a deep post corner, where the receiver starts at the 15-yard line, cuts in at the 26, out at the 34, and bends the route to about the 50-yard line. He sat in his breaks (adjusted to cut momentum) very well here and made another nice adjustment to catch the ball.

Beckham ran an official 4.33 40, good for a tie for fifth among all receivers, and he was as athletic in the drills as he was on the field. This should be no surprise, as athleticism runs in the family. Beckham’s father played running back for LSU from 1990 through ’92, and his mother, Heather Van Norman, was an All-America track runner at LSU from 1991 through ’93, playing a big part in the Tigers’ string of five straight national championships.

As athletic as Beckham is, he wasn’t quite sure he could beat his mom in a straight race right now. He said last week with a somewhat straight face that the two have a race planned for sometime after the combine.

“I’d definitely say it helped out,” he said. “My mom being a track star — it definitely made me who I am today. My mom’s always coaching me up on track stuff, and my dad’s always helping me with football. I remember her texting me after games, and I’ve had decent games, and she’s said, ‘Oh, your form looks great.’ It’s funny to hear coming from her, but she’s a track coach.”

Beckham has a lot of confidence in his ability to transition to the NFL, and the tape backs it up.

“I’d definitely say I’m up there with the best. It just depends on what a team needs, and which team likes you.”

Landry knows where he stands in the scheme of things, and he’s appreciative of the differences between himself and his teammate and friend.

“It’s like apples and oranges. We’re both great players. We’re both weird players. He takes the top off things a lot. For me, it’s intermediate, it’s special teams and kickoff. It’s the dirty work mostly, but you know, I love to do it.”

Guy is pretty overrated right now imo, I certainly wouldn't be spending a 1st round NFL pick on him anyway. He's got some nice skills, but he's only 5'11 and doesn't play as fast as his timed 40 imo, and he's pretty unlikely to ever put up consistently high TD numbers because of it. Should be a nice productive player, but I don't anticipate stardom in his future barring he ends up in an especially ideal situation. If he ends up at somewhere like Kansas City I'd stay far far away from Beckham in fantasy leagues.

Guy is pretty overrated right now imo, I certainly wouldn't be spending a 1st round NFL pick on him anyway. He's got some nice skills, but he's only 5'11 and doesn't play as fast as his timed 40 imo, and he's pretty unlikely to ever put up consistently high TD numbers because of it. Should be a nice productive player, but I don't anticipate stardom in his future barring he ends up in an especially ideal situation. If he ends up at somewhere like Kansas City I'd stay far far away from Beckham in fantasy leagues.
I'm not a huge fan of Beckham myself. I do think he's worth a first in the draft, late first. I don't see an eventual WR1 with him and that's my major problem. It's hard for me to rank WRs that highly who he see unlikely to transition into a WR1. Still, I believe he has the skills to be a quality starter in a lot of different situations. Fantasy success would be highly contingent on supporting cast. I think KC is actually a nice potential spot. I think Beckham is best on quicker developing passing plays and KC seems to specialize in that.

I'm not a huge fan of Beckham myself. I do think he's worth a first in the draft, late first. I don't see an eventual WR1 with him and that's my major problem. It's hard for me to rank WRs that highly who he see unlikely to transition into a WR1. Still, I believe he has the skills to be a quality starter in a lot of different situations. Fantasy success would be highly contingent on supporting cast. I think KC is actually a nice potential spot. I think Beckham is best on quicker developing passing plays and KC seems to specialize in that.
I don't think a WR on an Alex Smith led team has ever put up good fantasy numbers. Crabtree's numbers escalated once Smith left, and Bowe's numbers decreased considerably this season with Smith there. As long as Smith is KC's QB, I'd say KC is a bad landing spot for just about any WR.

I don't think a WR on an Alex Smith led team has ever put up good fantasy numbers. Crabtree's numbers escalated once Smith left, and Bowe's numbers decreased considerably this season with Smith there. As long as Smith is KC's QB, I'd say KC is a bad landing spot for just about any WR.
Not sure I get this logic. Smith was a QB1 in fantasy last year I believe. Bowe suffered because Bowe struggled to get opened. Smith, by and large had a great season. It was his first season in that offense and their were literally no playmakers outside of Charles.

Not sure I get this logic. Smith was a QB1 in fantasy last year I believe. Bowe suffered because Bowe struggled to get opened. Smith, by and large had a great season. It was his first season in that offense and their were literally no playmakers outside of Charles.
In most scoring systems I can think of Smith was a QB2, not that it matters where he ranks when discussing his impact on his WRs in real life. I realize he didn't have all that much to throw to, but a 60.6% CMP% and 6.52 YPA are pretty bad numbers no matter how you look at it. Though this is all getting off topic from Beckham so I'll just leave it at that.

Thoughts from a week spent at the NFL combine

Bruce Feldman

Excerpt:

I spoke to several NFL personnel folks who came away loving LSU WR/KR Odell Beckham Jr. almost as much as Cam Cameron and the Tigers staff does. I've been on the Beckham bandwagon for a while, and he promptly tore it up in Indy, running 4.4 and displaying magnificent hands and quickness in the on-field drills. He's gonna be a star in the NFL. Fast.
Said this awhile ago.

Xue said:
Beckham can be a star in the NFL. His change of direction and leaping skills are elite to me. He does have some concentration drops, but he wins a lot of jumpballs. He has elite YAC ability. I don't think he has elite speed, though, but that's fine, he won't need it. I've seen some Golden Tate comparisons, but I think his ceiling is much higher.

Landry is a solid WR but I don't see a high ceiling. Can be a very good slot guy like Brandon Gibson (not a straight up comparison). He does lay out for balls and can stretch and snatch, but mostly falling away and doesn't get too far off the ground. Beckham simply elevates much higher and can jump over DBs effortlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread