Bob Magaw

Official Odell Beckham, Jr.

4,501 posts in this topic

I've never seen so many people who know so little about the Giants claiming he's a locker room cancer, crazy, bad teammate, etc. Claiming his skills have declined is also ludicrous. Have you seen what he has playing around him? I think last night's game was the first time some of you guys have watched a Giants game and I pray that guys in my dynasties where I don't have OBJ think like you guys and trade him to me at a discount.  

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

He is a cancer. Leaders don’t throw their teammates and coaches under the bus. True or not, doesn’t matter. I don’t think he’s crazy, I think he’s a selfish entitled brat. He is not the WR he was 2 years ago. I can see the decline. That one handed catch on Sunday Night football was the turning point. He doesn’t know how to handle the success and accolades and he sucks as a teammate. 

The bolded is hilarious. You should take your show on the road.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Jello_Biafra said:

The bolded is hilarious. You should take your show on the road.

Sure.  Sorry if I hurt your feelings. When I say decline, I'm talking mentally which trickles down to his focus/concentration/effort ultimately showing up in his lack of dominance.  My success in FF has come with making predictions about the future, so that's what I'm doing here. I can be wrong but I'd rather be wrong on my own thoughts and my gut is telling me he is a ticking time bomb.  I do own OBJ in 2 dynasty leagues and am looking to trade him.  I can see the writing on the wall.  The video that surfaced this summer with him holding a coke straw sort of pushed my perceptions over to the negative edge. I was an optimistic OBJ owner not too long ago.  I loved the way he handled the offseason but he isn't getting better in the 'good teammate' department, he's getting worse and now with that contract, I don't have faith in him turning it around.  He's young enough to turn it around though and I hope he does because he's fun to watch.

26 minutes ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

Sure.  Sorry if I hurt your feelings. When I say decline, I'm talking mentally which trickles down to his focus/concentration/effort ultimately showing up in his lack of dominance.  My success in FF has come with making predictions about the future, so that's what I'm doing here. I can be wrong but I'd rather be wrong on my own thoughts and my gut is telling me he is a ticking time bomb.  I do own OBJ in 2 dynasty leagues and am looking to trade him.  I can see the writing on the wall.  The video that surfaced this summer with him holding a coke straw sort of pushed my perceptions over to the negative edge. I was an optimistic OBJ owner not too long ago.  I loved the way he handled the offseason but he isn't getting better in the 'good teammate' department, he's getting worse and now with that contract, I don't have faith in him turning it around.  He's young enough to turn it around though and I hope he does because he's fun to watch.

Out of curiosity, what would it take for you to trade him? Would you go after a "safer" WR1, like Hopkins and give OBJ+? You'd have to give something significant with Beckham to get a nice safe guy like Evans, Hopkins, Thomas. If that's what you'd be doing, how much more are you willing to give up? Would you try to upgrade somewhere else? I'd like to know how easily you'd trade this mentally declining, not dominating player.

34 minutes ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

When I say decline, I'm talking mentally which trickles down to his focus/concentration/effort ultimately showing up in his lack of dominance.

He's averaging 18 FPPG on the worst offense in football with a QB that won't throw the ball more than 5 yards beyond the LoS.

:shrug:

Edited by FreeBaGeL
7 people like this

5 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

He's averaging 18 FPPG on the worst offense in football with a QB that won't throw the ball more than 5 yards beyond the LoS.

I don't blame the coaching for feeding Barkley and ignoring Beckham at times because right now that is the safest way for the Giants to move the ball. That and short passes to the WRs and Engram when he gets back. Trying to push it downfield results mostly in a sack, INT, or an uncatchable pass. Nothing wrong with Beckham's talent or the way he's playing this year. He's doing pretty good despite the almost impossible task of catching a pass from Eli.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Jello_Biafra said:

Out of curiosity, what would it take for you to trade him? Would you go after a "safer" WR1, like Hopkins and give OBJ+? You'd have to give something significant with Beckham to get a nice safe guy like Evans, Hopkins, Thomas. If that's what you'd be doing, how much more are you willing to give up? Would you try to upgrade somewhere else? I'd like to know how easily you'd trade this mentally declining, not dominating player.

Hopkins is a better WR than OBJ right now and will most likely end up the better WR when both their careers are complete.  So yeah, I'd give OBJ + for Hopkins without hesitation.  Nuk also plays with an ascending QB who appears to have super star upside.  No brainer trade for me.  Not sure I feel the same about Evans or Thomas, however.  Hopkins is my favorite WR in dynasty.  I may even consider OBJ + my 1st which will be bottom 4 in a 16 team league for Hopkins.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, FreeBaGeL said:

He's still an incredible athlete just hitting his prime.  I'm not saying he downright sucks.  I'm just saying that I don't think this ends well. In dynasty, I'm selling, not buying.  He will eek out some productive years for sure.  He has superstar qualities athletically but severely lacks them mentally.  He may prove me wrong and good for him if he does. I'm not wishing negativity on him, only taking action based on a fantasy football perspective and explaining that here on a forum for FF.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

Hopkins is a better WR than OBJ right now and will most likely end up the better WR when both their careers are complete.  So yeah, I'd give OBJ + for Hopkins without hesitation.  Nuk also plays with an ascending QB who appears to have super star upside.  No brainer trade for me.  Not sure I feel the same about Evans or Thomas, however.  Hopkins is my favorite WR in dynasty.  I may even consider OBJ + my 1st which will be bottom 4 in a 16 team league for Hopkins.

Thank you. That is very useful. I offered Hopkins in 2 leagues to the OBJ owners and was turned down. Now, with your post, I see his value more clearly. Not sure a 1st would be enough for me to move Hopkins, I'd want a bump at RB for me to consider. That's just because of his perceived value, because OBJ is a better WR than Hopkins. Hopkins has not proven to be QB proof. OBJ has proven to be anything proof. He produces, so far in his career, at a monster pace. Because of this I think, when push comes to shove, the OBJ owners won't want to give up much more to get Hopkins.

15 minutes ago, Jello_Biafra said:

Thank you. That is very useful. I offered Hopkins in 2 leagues to the OBJ owners and was turned down. Now, with your post, I see his value more clearly. Not sure a 1st would be enough for me to move Hopkins, I'd want a bump at RB for me to consider. That's just because of his perceived value, because OBJ is a better WR than Hopkins. Hopkins has not proven to be QB proof. OBJ has proven to be anything proof. He produces, so far in his career, at a monster pace. Because of this I think, when push comes to shove, the OBJ owners won't want to give up much more to get Hopkins.

Ok, now I know we're not watching the same NFL.  OBJ has had the same QB who is a two-time Super Bowl champion.  Nuk has put up pro-bowl numbers pretty much every season with these stud QBs: Tom Savage, Brock Osweiler, Brandon Weeden, T.J. Yates, Ryan Mallett, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum and Matt Schaub.  Say what again about Hopkins not proving he is QB proof?

3 people like this

6 hours ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

Ok, now I know we're not watching the same NFL.  OBJ has had the same QB who is a two-time Super Bowl champion.  Nuk has put up pro-bowl numbers pretty much every season with these stud QBs: Tom Savage, Brock Osweiler, Brandon Weeden, T.J. Yates, Ryan Mallett, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum and Matt Schaub.  Say what again about Hopkins not proving he is QB proof?

yes. Hopkins is the definition of QB proof

3 people like this

9 hours ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

Seriously? Eli of today is as good as Eli when he won those SBs? He has had horrible OL play and still able to get the ball to OBJ. Remind me what happened to Hopkins in 2016? Was that bad season due to him, or the QB play? 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Jello_Biafra said:

Seriously? Eli of today is as good as Eli when he won those SBs? He has had horrible OL play and still able to get the ball to OBJ. Remind me what happened to Hopkins in 2016? Was that bad season due to him, or the QB play? 

Correct. I traded Hopkins in the middle of the 2016 season in re-draft for Jordan Howard and won a championship because of it. Hopkins was essentially a low-end WR2 that season.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:

I'm quoting this so people can like it again!

5 people like this

12 hours ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

I'm an OBJ owner but I agree with this... Hopkins has been great for years and just now has a good QB.

1 person likes this

Sorry for hippling the thread,  but after reading the last few pages I wish I didn't own him in a 4 player keeper league so I could trade for him. :lol:

4 hours ago, Jello_Biafra said:

The point I was trying to bring home is that Hopkins is the very definition of QB proof because he's had 11 QBs (most of whom have sucked) in his short career.  OBJ on the other hand has had the same QB his entire career.  You were saying OBJ is the QB proof and Hopkins is not when in fact the exact opposite has proven to be true so far in their careers.  How can OBJ be QB proof when he's only had 1 QB?  It's ok to admit you're wrong dude.  There is no shame in that at all.  

I just traded away OBJ in 1/2 dynasty leagues.  

I gave: OBJ, 2nd round pick, $15

I got: DeAndre Hopkins

I'm very happy with that trade. I don't foresee myself trading away OBJ in my other dynasty because Hopkins is about the only WR I'd want and I own him too (along with A. Brown).

I just traded away OBJ in 1/2 dynasty leagues.  

I gave: OBJ, 2nd round pick, $15

I got: DeAndre Hopkins

I'm very happy with that trade. I don't foresee myself trading away OBJ in my other dynasty because Hopkins is about the only WR I'd want and I own him too (along with A. Brown).

But he's a cancer and his skills are declining. And Hopkins is the only other WR you'd want? So, you have a crazy guy with declining skills ranked 2nd? 

The point I was trying to bring home is that Hopkins is the very definition of QB proof because he's had 11 QBs (most of whom have sucked) in his short career.  OBJ on the other hand has had the same QB his entire career.  You were saying OBJ is the QB proof and Hopkins is not when in fact the exact opposite has proven to be true so far in their careers.  How can OBJ be QB proof when he's only had 1 QB?  It's ok to admit you're wrong dude.  There is no shame in that at all.  

Remind me what happened to Hopkins in 2016? Was that bad season due to him, or the QB play? 

The interesting thing about the Hopkins comparison is that no one would say Hopkins had a bad year last year, but he actually scored the same FPPG as OBJ is averaging this year and people are treating it like a terrible year for OBJ.

3 people like this