What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (5 Viewers)

I have to start OBJ him  - only other option is M. Williams who has a good match up but scored his only TD of the season last week.

Anyone else rolling him out this week?

“Beckham is a low-floor, high-upside WR3, even in this plus draw.”

Oh man. This is the kind of write up I expected for Odell 5-7 years from now. Rip 

I don't know if they sent him there to die or not but it's always amusing to watch the heads' of guys like this explode when they're not the straw that stirs the drink.
they're effectively running the same offense as last year - running more, passing less maybe - because they're not really getting OBJ involved. Last year's record? 7-8-1. This year looks like 8-8 under best case scenario. Perhaps a different outcome would be in order if they made more effective use of their prized offseason acquisition? They've stubbornly refused not to make use of that straw to stir the drink. 

Steeler said:
I have to start OBJ him  - only other option is M. Williams who has a good match up but scored his only TD of the season last week.

OBJ has gone from a keeper to someone I am starting just ahead of a week 14 waiver wire pickup.  Needless to say either way he won't be a keeper next year.

Steeler said:

hes in over M. Williams, deebo and Kirk for me.

Beckham and JuJu, two guys I really like watch play and draft, have some of the bigger question marks in the off-season for fantasy and real football, that's for sure. I know somebody who won a Superflex last year taking Odell in the 1st and Juju in like the fifth or sixth. That same person this year would have walked away from any draft with a hot mess on his hands.

Beckham and JuJu, two guys I really like watch play and draft, have some of the bigger question marks in the off-season for fantasy and real football, that's for sure. I know somebody who won a Superflex last year taking Odell in the 1st and Juju in like the fifth or sixth. That same person this year would have walked away from any draft with a hot mess on his hands.
Old value vs. new reality is always the dichotomy in these situations. Should we stay or should we go?

Old value vs. new reality is always the dichotomy in these situations. Should we stay or should we go?
Some of us that play redraft get to wait until the dust settles before knowing if he's overpowered by funk or going straight to hell...

Dynasty, I got nothing for GMs. His situation might change into something beautiful in the off-season. One never knows. 

Steeler said:

I have to decide between OBJ and AJ Brown for my WR2 -- with the way AJB has been playing it should be an easy choice, but then I compare OBJ's targets this season (108) to AJB's (61)....and I'm not so sure....

Steeler said:

Sitting him for sanders and mixon

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have him in my lineup over Z Pascal but it will likely come down to how I feel right before the 4pm games. 

If its close after the early games might just play Pascal for the decent floor. 

Even with Chark and Evans hurt for me OBJ will be sitting on the bench this weekend. He didn't help me get into the playoffs and he's lost his privilege to play. Need to send a strong message to the rest of the team. Next man up!

Between the news about his injury, the drop in number of targets each week over the last month, am I crazy to bench him in the playoffs to start Thomas, AJ Brown, Parker, and McLaurin over him in a PPR league? I know a lot of people will say "always start your studs" but does that even apply here anymore? 

Between the news about his injury, the drop in number of targets each week over the last month, am I crazy to bench him in the playoffs to start Thomas, AJ Brown, Parker, and McLaurin over him in a PPR league? I know a lot of people will say "always start your studs" but does that even apply here anymore? 
Which will piss you off more? OBJ blowing up on your bench or OBJ posting another dud in your starting lineup?  

Another consideration- are you the favorite to win your matchup?  My opponent this week has Lamar so I'm only projected to have a 19 percent chance of winning.  So for me OBJ stays in my lineup.

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, Odell Beckham isn't planning to request a trade this offseason.

Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reported last week that Beckham wants out of Cleveland and while that may still well be the case, Odell has no plans to "formally" request a trade. La Canfora also adds that Beckham has yet to make a decision on offseason surgery to address a sports hernia that has hampered him throughout his debut season in Cleveland. While still painful, the injury hasn't prevented him from "sprinting, cutting and running a full route tree." The trade rumors surrounding OBJ have quieted recently—teammate and close friend Jarvis Landry insisted Beckham has no plans to skip town—but this story is far from being over.

SOURCE: CBS Sports

Dec 15, 2019, 11:07 AM ET

I would start him over a couple of those guys myself.

Odell Beckham (groin) plans to play in the Browns' final two games.

Playing through a painful sports hernia that could require offseason surgery, no one would fault Beckham for throwing in the towel, especially with Cleveland all but certain to miss the postseason (one percent playoff odds). Despite this, Beckham, who is nearing his fifth 1,000-yard receiving season, has every intention to play the final two games, saying he owes it to his teammates to play through the pain. "As long as these boys are out here, I’m going to go out there and give my all," said OBJ in the aftermath of Sunday's loss to Arizona. "I love football way too much to think about sitting out and doing all of these things but I’m here for this team and we’ll see better days." The hobbled 27-year-old has scored just once since Week 3.

SOURCE: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Dec 16, 2019, 8:48 AM ET

To keep the thread on track- dynasty guys is there a destination you see as realistic for OBJ? is there one you're hoping for? 

Will OBJ demand a new contract, again, after he is traded? 

Does his behavior in 2019 as a while affect his appeal to other teams? 

Can this relationship be salvaged? 

Who is Eric Cartman's father? 

Eagles desperately need a WR, but doubt they can afford him. Other options would be the Colts, Jets, Dolphins, also seems like a Washington move.

Dr. Dan said:
To keep the thread on track- dynasty guys is there a destination you see as realistic for OBJ? is there one you're hoping for? 

Seems to me the drama about his behavior this year has been largely manufactured. I think he remains a Brown next season.

Dr. Dan said:

OBJ has Camp Carroll written all over him. Would be perfect fit in Seattle and sand lot Wilson. OBJ, Metcalf and Lockett? Yikes.

Speaking Wednesday, Odell Beckham insisted he would be with the Browns in 2020, saying, "I'll be here."

"I'm not going anywhere," OBJ said. "I'll be here." Beckham added "it’s too special" and he wants to see things through with the Browns, attempting to squash trade rumors that have popped up in recent weeks of a tumultuous Browns season. Beckham needs to have a healthy offseason first and foremost and work on his chemistry with Baker Mayfield. If that happens, he'll be a prime bounce-back candidate for 2020.

SOURCE: Pat McManamon on Twitter

Dec 18, 2019, 1:32 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirms the Browns are not expected to trade Odell Beckham this offseason.

After previously being noncommittal about his Browns future, Beckham seemed to changed his tune in Wednesday's remarks, expressing his desire to stay in Cleveland despite the team squandering its considerable talent throughout what has been a trying 2019 campaign. Beckham may not have had much choice on the matter as GM John Dorsey reportedly has no intention of moving the star receiver, even with tensions rising in the Browns' locker room. Between his sports hernia, a seeming lack of chemistry with Baker Mayfield and Freddie Kitchens looking ill-equipped for the head coaching chair, Beckham's debut season in Cleveland has been nothing short of disastrous.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 22, 2019, 10:45 AM ET

Odell Beckham caught 4-of-5 targets for 44 yards and a touchdown in the Browns' Week 16 loss to the Ravens.

OBJ found the end zone on a short fade from three yards out. The frustration here was clear, as Beckham was chirping at the Ravens’ sideline early and often. He drew a 15-yard taunting penalty early in the game and was also seen throwing his helmet on the sideline before arguing with coach Freddie Kitchens. Perhaps Beckham can put together a big performance in Week 17 against the Bengals' porous secondary to help somewhat salvage what has easily been the worst statistical season of his career. Of course, William Jackson did manage to hold OBJ to a putrid 2-39-0 performance on five targets back in Week 14.

Odell Beckham (illness) is questionable for Week 17 against the Bengals.

OBJ missed Friday's practice to visit a doctor. Players typically play through illnesses, though Le'Veon Bell did miss a game with the flu earlier this year. Beckham enters the week needing just 46 yards for 1,000, a bench-mark he's already cleared four times in his career.

SOURCE: Jake Trotter on Twitter

Dec 27, 2019, 12:47 PM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Odell Beckham (questionable, illness) is expected to play in Week 17 against the Bengals.

Beckham is battling flu-like symptoms but it's not going to keep him out. He'll have a chance to clear 1,000 yards on the season assuming he plays his regular snaps. Beckham is also still dealing with a sports hernia in addition to the illness, so he obviously won't be 100 percent.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Dec 27, 2019, 6:35 PM ET

All those years in New York where the man was keeping him down.

Happy that he got a chance to change venues and demonstrate why an elite WR is more than just a widget.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirms Odell Beckham (questionable, groin, illness) is expected to play Week 17 against the Bengals.

Beckham sat out Friday's end-of-week practice due to food poisoning but has reportedly improved enough to suit up for Sunday's finale. He's also battling a sports hernia, an injury that could require offseason surgery. Even with injuries and poor coaching (first-year coach Freddie Kitchens has been an utter disaster) both working against him, Beckham has still contributed a respectable 954 yards this season. OBJ logged a modest 2-39-0 receiving line when the Browns hosted Cincy in Week 14.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 29, 2019, 8:20 AM ET

Sold him for the 1.6 in a devy league (draft includes current rookies and underclassman) that  I just won, even though most of the top current 2020 rookies are already on rosters.  I have my eye on a couple of 2021 prospects.  I have ridiculous depth at WR.  Call it a luxury trade.    I do not like the team OBJ is on, or the QB throwing him the ball for that matter.  He still has several good years in him, but there comes a time when you have to make these decisions in dynasty / devy leagues and it's better to sell a couple of years too early than wait for the ship to sail.

I don't think they will trade him - 8/27/2018: Signed a six-year, $103.46 million contract. The deal includes $65 million guaranteed.  I doubt anyone wants to take on that contract or more.

Sold him for the 1.6 in a devy league (draft includes current rookies and underclassman) that  I just won, even though most of the top current 2020 rookies are already on rosters.  I have my eye on a couple of 2021 prospects.  I have ridiculous depth at WR.  Call it a luxury trade.    I do not like the team OBJ is on, or the QB throwing him the ball for that matter.  He still has several good years in him, but there comes a time when you have to make these decisions in dynasty / devy leagues and it's better to sell a couple of years too early than wait for the ship to sail.
I get the idea of trading him "early", but why trade him for pennies on the dollar?  He should easily be worth the 1.01++

I get the idea of trading him "early", but why trade him for pennies on the dollar?  He should easily be worth the 1.01++
How do you figure. WR30. Decent chance he stays in Cle. 7th year coming up. Chance card not community chest. If I had the dyno 1.1 zero chance I trade it for Odell

1.1, LOL.  You couldn't trade OBJ for the 1.1 in any league.  He's in Cleveland and he isn't going anywhere and he hasn't looked good there.  Plus, he will be 28 next season and will be well into his 30s before he exits purgatory. 

I'm not sure I'd move a top 6 pick, and no way in hell I'd move the 1.1 in this year's draft for him. Now if he gets out of Cleveland we can reconsider his value...

I don't think they will trade him - 8/27/2018: Signed a six-year, $103.46 million contract. The deal includes $65 million guaranteed.  I doubt anyone wants to take on that contract or more.
I agree they won't, but the contract isn't much risk.  NYG at all the dead money and all of the guaranteed money is done too - only a couple million of his 2020 salary is left.  So as all those next gen guys hit the $18M per year mark, OJB is a relative bargain at ~$14M per year each of the next 4.

I just think Cleveland is gong to want to keep OBJ with Mayfield.  He's an elite WR when he's right and you don't get many chances at that.  He's not nearly as bat-#### crazy as AB is (yet?) and he's really not even being any kind of negative - it's more the media looking for stuff to stir the pot with.  He's been peachy.

1.1, LOL.  You couldn't trade OBJ for the 1.1 in any league.  He's in Cleveland and he isn't going anywhere and he hasn't looked good there.  Plus, he will be 28 next season and will be well into his 30s before he exits purgatory. 
I think he's hanging to the word should, as in a guy like OBJ should be worth the 1.01++ but because he's in Cleveland and had a train-wreck year he's not right this moment.  And I agree with you and the others, no way I'm giving up 1.01 right now for him, but I would bet even money that within the next 18 months I'm kicking myself for not having the guts to.

I think he's hanging to the word should, as in a guy like OBJ should be worth the 1.01++ but because he's in Cleveland and had a train-wreck year he's not right this moment.  And I agree with you and the others, no way I'm giving up 1.01 right now for him, but I would bet even money that within the next 18 months I'm kicking myself for not having the guts to.
The clock is ticking and he's in Cleveland and will be in Cleveland.  No thanks.  It doesn't help that Landry is Mayfield's favorite target and Mayfield isn't that great.

Landry seems to be his favorite target as well.
Likely because he DID show up for off season workouts. I know many CLEV fans said OBJ skipping workouts was no big deal even though he was going to be playing with a new QB. I think the season clearly displayed the fallacy in that thinking.

Are you guys reading the stories coming out of CLE  about how in over his head Kitchens was, and how it effected the offensive gameplanning and playcalling? Baker and OBJ are primed for a massive bounceback with the right hire. 

Users who are viewing this thread