What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (8 Viewers)

What caught my attention was the last end around that OBJ scored his touchdown ...

the DAL LB #54, actually caught him from behind. How does OBJ at full sprint not pull away from a LB?

Has he lost a step? 

Sam Quentin said:
OBJ scored on three gimmicky plays, only one of which involved Baker...I am not sold that Baker and OBJ have any chemistry due to his nice game and I don’t know that the gimmicks are sustainable 
True,  but if the players believe they have chemistry now, its all that matters.

What caught my attention was the last end around that OBJ scored his touchdown ...

the DAL LB #54, actually caught him from behind. How does OBJ at full sprint not pull away from a LB?

Has he lost a step? 
Eh, once he blew past him, he wasn't in full sprint anymore once he realized he was score and not going to be caught before he hit the end zone.  He didn't necessarily pull up, but he didn't stay at top speed after he blew past him because he didn't have to.

Did you not see what Seattle did to the Dallas D?  Of course CLE is better. With that talent let's hope so.

Sheep still have wool.

He's in the cluster for #1 WR though based on 1 huge game.  They played Bal, Cin, Was, and Dal.  Wup dee effing do.

I am a verified OBJ hater though.  He is IMO one of the worst players in the NFL.  Overpaid, almost great once in a while, whiny 5 yr old who is unlikely to win you a game and that is is his entire job - and it costs you $10mil to suck it.

Teams without a better WR#1.  Not worth mentioning.

Odell Beckham Jr. (toe) was limited in practice on Wednesday.

Beckham is coming off his best performance of the season where he played 58 of 75 offensive snaps against the Cowboys. The team is likely just being cautious with their top pass catcher ahead of their difficult matchup against the Colts in Week 5, with Indianapolis boasting the No. 5 overall Pass Defense in DVOA.

Oct 7, 2020, 7:55 PM ET

Odell Beckham caught 5-of-9 targets for 58 yards in Cleveland's Week 5 win over the Colts.

Beckham's lone highlight, a 26-yard leaping grab in tight coverage during the second quarter, helped setup Rashard Higgins' 15-yard touchdown catch to put the Browns up 17-10. Beckham's day could have been even better had Mayfield not sailed him in the end zone after a play fake to Kareem Hunt. Jarvis Landry out-performed Beckham with 88 receiving yards, but the latter is clearly the stronger and safer option weekly moving forward. Beckham will rank as a high-end WR2 in Week 6 against the Bengals.

Oct 11, 2020, 9:10 PM ET

Tom Withers@twithersAP

Beckham not at #Browns facility today as he needs a second negative COVID test in 24 hours to be cleared to rejoin the team.

-----------------------------------------

Scott Petrak ct@ScottPetrak

#Browns WR Odell Beckham Jr. not in building today. NFL protocol requires players to have 2 negative virus tests 24 hours apart after symptoms. Beckham's first negative test came back this morning.

Tom Withers@twithersAP

Beckham not at #Browns facility today as he needs a second negative COVID test in 24 hours to be cleared to rejoin the team.

-----------------------------------------

Scott Petrak ct@ScottPetrak

#Browns WR Odell Beckham Jr. not in building today. NFL protocol requires players to have 2 negative virus tests 24 hours apart after symptoms. Beckham's first negative test came back this morning.
didnt know this info and it's good to know. he should be good to go for sunday once the second test comes back tomorrow

OBJ is fun to watch and provides electric plays at times but in the fantasy business we are in, the core value is not really there. I was happy to send him and Tonyan off for  A Rob and a 1st round pick. 

Jeff Schudel@jsproinsider

All COVID-19 test results from Friday for the #Browns were negative, the team is reporting.l this morning. That means Odell Beckham is back and can play against the Steelers tomorrow.

Had OBJ since rookie season in my main keeper league (0.5 ppr).  Sold him and woods last week for Diggs..... wanted an upgrade at WR and I am a bills homer....plus I have Allen, so the stack was the clincher.  I wish OBJ owners the best, most likely will be an up and down year but the situation looks better then last year.

ODELL BECKHAM WR, CLEVELAND BROWNS

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Browns WRs Odell Beckham (illness) and Jarvis Landry (hips, ribs) are expected to play in Week 6 against the Steelers.

Beckham was sent home from practice on Thursday after falling ill with a non-COVID related illness. Two days of negative test results confirmed this and Beckham was cleared for action on Saturday. Landry was held out of practice on Wednesday and Thursday while dealing with multiple injuries. The Browns are fortunate to have both on the field for their Week 6 matchup versus the Steelers. Pittsburgh's vaunted defense has allowed just 6.6 yards per pass attempt and Baker Mayfield has looked shaky to start the year. Beckham projects as a WR2 this week while Landry can't be pushed any higher than a WR3.

RELATED: 

Jarvis Landry

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 18, 2020, 8:02 AM ET

he's been a phenomenal teammate this season.

of course, id love to see more on the statsheet, but he's happy everytime a teammate makes a catch, is throwing blocks, and just genuinely looks happy.

hope it continues. nice to see. winning matters.

Browns WR Odell Beckham (knee) headed to the locker room in the first quarter of the Browns' Week 7 game against the Bengals.

Beckham was injured while attempting to make a tackle after a Baker Mayfield interception. He was able to come off the field under his own power but walked to the locker room with a noticeable limp. Jarvis Landry should see an uptick in work if Beckham misses the rest of the game or any additional time.

- Mary Kay Cabot

Last edited by a moderator:
Browns WR Odell Beckham (knee) will not return for Week 7 against the Bengals.

Beckham was previously listed as questionable with the knee injury but his reaction on the play was not promising. He limped to the locker room after laying on the field for a few minutes. Beckham was in a serious amount of pain before exiting. Cleveland only has three receivers active for this game. Jarvis Landry will take over as the top option for Baker Mayfield while Rashard Higgins and Donovan Peoples-Jones take the field for three-receiver sets.

SOURCE: Browns PR

Oct 25, 2020, 1:39 PM ET

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

#Browns WR Odell Beckham, who was knocked out of today’s game early, is feared to have suffered a major knee injury, source said. He’ll have an MRI in the morning and perhaps there will be some better news, but early indications aren’t good.

Browns WR Odell Beckham (knee) said he's out for the season. 

OBJ tore his ACL Sunday against the Bengals. Beckham appeared to get a cleat caught in the turf as he chased down a defender after Baker Mayfield's first pass of the game was intercepted. He clutched his knee afterward, in obvious pain. Beckham's absence will open up playing time for Rashard Higgins, who led the Browns in receiving against the Bengals. Jarvis Landry could see a bump in targets with Beckham out. OBJ ends his 2020 season with 23 catches on 43 targets for 319 yards and three touchdowns. He had three carries for 72 yards and a touchdown too. Beckham, who will be 28 in November, is under contract with the Browns through the 2023 season. NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports that $12.971 million of OBJ's $15.75 million due in 2021 "is guaranteed for injury and converts to a full guarantee if he’s on the roster the third day of the league year." That nearly guarantees he'll be on the Browns' roster unless he's traded. 

- Rotoworld

Browns WR Odell Beckham (knee) said he's out for the season. 

OBJ tore his ACL Sunday against the Bengals. Beckham appeared to get a cleat caught in the turf as he chased down a defender after Baker Mayfield's first pass of the game was intercepted. He clutched his knee afterward, in obvious pain. Beckham's absence will open up playing time for Rashard Higgins, who led the Browns in receiving against the Bengals. Jarvis Landry could see a bump in targets with Beckham out. OBJ ends his 2020 season with 23 catches on 43 targets for 319 yards and three touchdowns. He had three carries for 72 yards and a touchdown too. Beckham, who will be 28 in November, is under contract with the Browns through the 2023 season. NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports that $12.971 million of OBJ's $15.75 million due in 2021 "is guaranteed for injury and converts to a full guarantee if he’s on the roster the third day of the league year." That nearly guarantees he'll be on the Browns' roster unless he's traded. 
Fantastic, he has plenty of time to get his financial house in order and get used to living off maybe just $1M a year for a little bit while he heals and figures out what his best action or arc is moving forward. Only ODB will know what that is, I wish him a speedy recovery, like watching him make plays, don't love his locker room presence but I can only go on reports as I am not present when these things happen. 

He's pocketed $63M since walking in the NFL, all but assured of next season and has 2 years remaining after that at $15M per year no cap hit if he is released. Likely will be on a new team in 2022 unless someone wants to try and acquire him and let him heal with them and is willing to invest in him in the future. Would have to be a very unique situation IMO.

I do feel like he could be had for almost nothing right about now from Cleveland. There was talk about him being traded already but the asking price was too high. They are going to lose out on their draft picks they traded for him, that's how it goes but Cleveland is a decent football team and would be wise to move on from ODB sooner rather than later. Lot of great players on the Cleveland roster right now and they should not be held back because of Odell's feelings. Did I really just say that? I guess I did. 

dickey moe said:
A few years ago this news would've generated dozens of replies. Now it's old hat
One great game which was made up of 2 trick plays for long scores, one decent game and four stinkers. I feel for the guy injury wise, but I'm glad I don't have to put up with 3 fantasy points in my WR slot every week thinking he'll get it together "this week" for sure. Never again. 

He did warn us though 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "there is a very real possibility" that Browns WR Odell Beckham does not play for the team in 2021 as the result of a trade.

The Browns traded for Beckham in 2019 but his relationship with the team has been reported to be on the rocks at multiple points. His numbers have also dropped since joining the Browns. He recorded 1,035 receiving yards in his first season with Cleveland. Beckham topped that mark while playing in four fewer games in his final season with the Giants. He was on pace for 851 yards before tearing his ACL this year. The Browns play a run-heavy game that may not need a receiver like Beckham to be successful. Whether or not Beckham is traded depends entirely on how much a team is willing to pay for him next year.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 1, 2020, 9:18 AM ET

Odell Beckham underwent successful surgery on his torn left ACL Tuesday. 

The time between Beckham's injury and operation was 16 days, which is a good sign. It means the Browns did not have to wait for anything else to calm down inside Beckham's knee. He has plenty of time to get healthy for Week 1 2021, though it's an open question if he will still be playing for the Browns by then. Increasingly beset by injury — as fluky as this one was — Beckham can be traded or released with no dead money next spring. A trade is more likely. 

SOURCE: Scott Petrak on Twitter 

Nov 10, 2020, 5:22 PM ET

Speaking Monday, coach Kevin Stefanski said he's "excited" for Odell Beckham's (knee) return in 2021.

“I texted with him this morning. I know he’s working really hard to get better in his rehab. I’m excited to get him back here,” Stefanski said. “I know it was not easy for him being away from his teammates, especially as these games got bigger and into the playoffs. I know he definitely wanted to be a part of it.” After OBJ tore his ACL in Week 7, there was wide speculation the Browns could trade him ahead of the 2021 season, but Stefanski sounds like a guy ready to have his playmaking wideout back with the club. The Browns went 11-5 and won a playoff game mostly without OBJ, riding their running game and a more relaxed Baker Mayfield over the second half of the year. Mayfield likely didn;t feel the pressure to force the ball to OBJ. He has three years left on his contract but has no guaranteed money left on the deal. The Browns can clear $15.75 million by trading or releasing Beckham.

SOURCE: Browns on Twitter

Jan 18, 2021, 8:21 PM ET

Browns GM Andrew Berry said Odell Beckham (knee) is on track in his recovery from ACL surgery.

Beckham is two months removed from tearing his ACL in Week 7. It's good news that he's setback-free, but Beckham will be sidelined through OTAs and seems unlikely to be ready for the start of training camp. Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said he's "excited" for Beckham's return in 2021, though the Browns figure to explore his market this offseason. Cleveland can clear $15.75 million in cap space by trading or releasing Beckham.

SOURCE: clevelandbrowns.com

Jan 27, 2021, 9:23 AM ET

The Akron Beacon Journal reports Odell Beckham (knee) is "right on track" in his recovery.

The Browns haven't put a timetable on Beckham's return, but he's been setback-free in his rehab. He'll be nine months removed from surgery at the start of training camp. Coach Kevin Stefanski said the Browns are "in a good spot" to keep both Beckham and Jarvis Landry. Beckham will count $15.8 million against the cap if Cleveland doesn't trade him this offseason.

SOURCE: Akron Beacon Journal

Mar 7, 2021, 9:29 AM ET

Understand why people are down on him but reports are that he is finally healthy and has regained his explosiveness.  

It does look like the explosiveness is back so....

LINK to VIDEO

Odell Beckham Jr

@obj

It can all be gone tomorrow, always remember that...

Was explosiveness his problem when healthy in Cleveland?

I thought it was mostly apathy and poor attitude. And who can plane him, he has to live and work in ####### Cleveland. 

LA@TheRealLA__

All I can say

@obj

rehab was within the top 2 percentile for ACL surgery process. And that trended to the higher end. Nothing he is doing should come as a surprise, he is a freak of nature physically and rehabbed the injury harder than anyone associated with him as ever seen.

I guess we'll see how his ADP shapes up.  

I'm not anti-any player.  But name value tends to make guys like OBJ cost too much.  His last superstar season was 2016.  He's coming off an ACL injury.  He's playing for a team that runs a lot and doesn't use him like the Giants did.  I probably won't have a ton of him ever again.

Browns WR Jarvis Landry said WR Odell Beckham (knee) "looked amazing" during workouts this offseason.

The two worked out together last week and Landry was surprised by Beckham's speedy recovery. Beckham missed the final nine games of the 2020 season after tearing his ACL in Week 7. He underwent surgery a few weeks after the injury and has reportedly no suffered any setbacks in his rehabilitation efforts. Beckham has been underwhelming since joining the Browns but Cleveland's passing attack has lacked volume or efficiency in both of his seasons with the team. He could turn in a WR2 season but the Browns aren't going to throw the ball enough for Beckham to return to his glory days. Based on their run-first approach, the ground game in Cleveland offers far more fantasy upside.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jun 13, 2021, 5:38 PM ET

I'm not anti-any player.  But name value tends to make guys like OBJ cost too much.  His last superstar season was 2016.  He's coming off an ACL injury.  He's playing for a team that runs a lot and doesn't use him like the Giants did.  I probably won't have a ton of him ever again.
More concerning to me than the ACL is volume. I like where Landry is coming in ADP wise bc I know he’ll always be a chain mover (full PPR.) But OBJ hasn’t been special for a long time. He was such a beast in NY but he’s just not that guy anymore and they’re not going to throw enough to merit his current ADP.

I don't think we ever really saw his full deployment in this offense as it didn't hit its stride until after his injury and I'm very skeptical this team will 'run a lot' - at least as far as this being a run first team anyway. This was evident watching each game as the season went on last year but it's buried in the data on account of November monsoons, December/January covid, and getting out to some big first half leads (largely through the air). 

There are lots of reasons to believe we'll never see anything like the 2016 and prior version again, but I don't think it's baked into his current market rate - Redraft WR28 and Dynasty WR34. I got him as WR35 (my #4) in a startup a couple weeks ago. Maybe that'll change over the next couple months, but 'costs too much' does not enter my thought process at that price. I think it'd take another serious injury not to at least get ROI with that level of investment.

Two years ago he had Freddie Kitchens as his HC, people don't understand how big of a disaster Kitchens was as a HC.

Last year he got injured prior to Stefanski winning COY (a rookie head coach who also called plays w/no OTAs, TC, preseason).  Add a team ravaged by COVID adding to remarkable job coaches did last year.  OBJ got left out of before everything began clicking and missed out on the playoffs. 

He doesn't have the weight of unrealistic expectations, the team doesn't have to lean on him.  Last year the offensive line went from one of the worst to one of the best and went run-heavy.  Stefanski has options this year.

OBJ a bargain.  Reports have consistently stated he's healthy and ready.

Buy cheap now... if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread